XCOMUFO & Xenocide

X-com Midi Themes

Here is the plan, let's use this thread to post alternative midi files for the UFO Defense game (later I'll make an equivalent thread for Terror from the Deep).

First, a filename description...

GMDEFEND = The sound that plays while the Skyranger is landing at a crash-site or a ground assault (and, coincidentally, X-COM Base Defense)

GMENBASE = The sound that plays while the Skyranger is landing at a terror site or for an alien base assault.

GMGEO1 = One type of Geoscape music (tends to play at game start and immediately after interceptions)

GMGEO2 = A slightly more upbeat Geoscape music (tends to play immediately after tactical missions)

GMINTER = Music that plays while an interception craft is trying to down a UFO.

GMINTRO1 = Music that plays at the intro while the alien craft is looking around with its spotlights.

GMINTRO2 = Music that plays at the intro when the mutons jump out of the ship and start shooting people.

GMINTRO3 = Music that plays at the intro when X-COM decides to intervene.

GMLOSE = The music that plays for the losing screens.

GMMARS = The music that plays when the Avenger is landing at Cydonia

GMNEWMAR = The music that plays after the team has entered the underground Cydonia base.

GMSTORY = The music that plays at the title screen.

GMTACTIC = The music that plays during ground assaults.

GMWIN = The music that plays after you kill the alien brain in Cydonia.

Now, here's the idea... copy various midi files that would fit those settings, rename them appropriately and place them in a zip file with the title of your "theme." Then attach the zip file to this thread for all to enjoy.

To use the zip files, just copy them to the SOUND directory in whatever directory X-COM is in and unzip them.

For the first attachment, the original X-COM midi files, so that people can restore the original music after the new music files become available.

Original_X_COM.zip

This is the first different theme that I am posting.

A certain someone's signature inspired me to do this one... mwahahhaha

Remember, to change the music just unzip the file to the SOUND directory.

To restore original music, unzip the above-posted file to the SOUND directory.

(and, YES overwrite the existing files).

Edit: I think this only works for the CE version; though if you use that patch someone posted it should work for you too.

Final_Fantasy_VII_Theme.zip

Edited by Chris StarShade

Please, people, give me feedback on this. Some of this stuff is amusing as heck.

Well, here is a compilation of properly named midis that correspond to a variety of popular songs (some popular "now" and others popular "then" and some which are just filler sorta... haha)

I don't want to give away exactly what the songs are but if queried, will tell all. Hahah

Pop_Culture_I.zip

I only use one altered MIDI so far (will change tonight, though) because I liked the original music so much. So far, I use this song for the battlescape:

Crap! I HATE WINAMP! It went at screwed around my file extensions to associate everything with WINAMP even though I explicitly demanded it didn't! Gyaahh!

Well, what this means to you guys is that I won't be able to upload the midi files I have here. Let me try something real quick. I shall return.

I don't have any specific theme yet, as I alternate frequently between my hundred or so midi files for different battlescape tracks, but maybe I'll see what I can put together later today. If only I can attach what I have now, then we'd be getting somewhere...

Well, there we go. As I said before, these are just a couple of my favorite battlescape themes. I'll throw in a complete theme a bit later.

Example_Midis.zip

Edited by The Master Maniac

Very interesting...

You might find this intriguing but syndicate.mid sounds a tad like the Mars section of The Planets. Very nice ones, I can understand why you prefer them for your battlescape. You'll post a better theme yet! (as for the second theme I posted, I have realized that it is practically impossible to play the game with for me, since I can't stop laughing at the midi selections... hahah)

Just what are these midis, now? I can only imagine. :) I'll just see for myself, then... :huh?:

--edit: oh my. Why? Why!?

Well, you try intercepting hostile UFOs with that song! It's just...jeez. :LOL: Not quite what I expected--but I have to say the same for the rest of the package, it seems. I knew "I See Dead Bunnies" would make the cut somehow--I just knew it! :LOL: Can't stop laughing at the dreaded alien-invasion intro theme...

Still sorting through my Midis, though, to find a decent theme--tough having upwards of 1,000 (gasp). C'mon, people--get into this! It's interesting!

And might you be referring to Mars: Bringer of War? You, sir, have excellent tastes, then--that is by far my favorite bit of classical/instrumental music ever.

Hey--an idea! Maybe, just maybe, we could kind of make a "variation" of the Mars theme for Xenocide--a "homage," if you will, for the main theme...? Hmm...

it's pretty hard to find midis that actually fit with the whole x-com feel. still, i decided to give it a shot so here you go, a midi which i think would sound nice as an Interception music (GMINTER).

i wonder if anyone can figure out what game is the midi from (no, it's not the filename) :P

TV_Moon_Dagger.zip

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I had fun picking the songs for that one. Hahaha!

People are going to think I was high on something for my decision to do the Teenage Mutan Ninja Turtles theme for the mutons jumping out of the ship, and the Ghostbusters theme (I need to find a better version of that one, it takes too long to get to the good part with the midi I used) for when X-COM shows up.

Hahah!

And, yeah, I was thinking of Holst's music with my comment on Mars.

Nope, not a clue what game that one midi is from, but being an FF freak, I automatically go to FF8 as a guess.

I think I've managed to get a working theme here--no spoilers, though. I don't know whether to shoot for the "humorous" theme I've got here, or the more serious one. Or both. Anyway, I'll be back soon.

As for the mysterious midi--The Evils of War is from the Japan-only release of the very first Front Mission (SNES). Don't worry--I think I'm the only one that's ever played that game before. :unsure:

Sorry for the slow response. My computer decided to start acting up (Far Cry took a nosedive towards the end of the game, and everything's been screwy ever since), so wrestling to get the thing online has become common practice. LOL:

Oh yeah--that GMGEO1 track from your X-Com FF theme set absolutely rocks. Suddenly, I've got an urge to actually play FF7...

• 5 weeks later...
Yo, SupSuper, I suddenly remember where that midi file you posted came from.

And so, as this topic sinks down to the depths of the forum, I raise it up again with my guess...

TV in the file name does not stand for television.

TV in the file name stands for TERMINAL VELOCITY!

Now, give me my cookie. ^_^

Nice one :)

*hands out cookie*

No, not yet it hasn't. I cooked up some midis of my own (run for the hills!) with Anvil Studio, to save the day! Hide your children, lock your doors, as I will post these soon...

Yes, they're terrible variations of themes you're probably familiar with, but it was fun, I tell you!

Ah-hah! Now for the battlescape "remix" (ie, tragedy). This is pure amateur stuff, with no particular theme, just something for me to fiddle with. There are two slight (slight!) variations contained herein. I'm going to screw up the Interceptor theme next!

Battlescapage.zip