XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Collector UFO

coolp

Correct, no contractions. I also agree on the "too much info" thing, as I pointed out earlier, this is about the UFO, so let's try to keep the info about the Abductions as minimum as possible :)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Correct, no contractions. I also agree on the "too much info" thing, as I pointed out earlier, this is about the UFO, so let's try to keep the info about the Abductions as minimum as possible :)

Ok, so I'll try to shrink it a little bit more. :( *sniff* ;)

But... sorry, to ask, what do you guys mean by "contractions"?

Target persons are kidnapped and experimented on, afterwards ripped of their short term memory and returned to Earth if possible.

Isn't short term memory just a few seconds? I hardly think all these experiments are done in just a few seconds, and if it takes longer than that erasing short term memory won't help much :)

Target persons are kidnapped and experimented on, afterwards ripped of their short term memory and returned to Earth if possible.

Isn't short term memory just a few seconds? I hardly think all these experiments are done in just a few seconds, and if it takes longer than that erasing short term memory won't help much :)

Well, short term memory is a thing a lot of people quarrel about, but normally the definition is "up to 1-2 hours". If the procedure is taking longer, they just rip them every full hour.. :)

[...] The board armament features a single relatively short ranged high gain plasma cannon with medium firepower. This is too much detail because the the Collector UFO's main "theme" isn't about weapons.

Well, I don't think so. The statistics will feature an armament value, so we should talk about the cannons as well.

The inside interior? or The Collector houses...? houses interesting unusual? medical equipment which needs further research.

No, I can't agree with this. Everything in an UFO is unusual. But this stuff is interesting too. :)

Nevertheless, thank you very much for your comments. I will post a modified version soon.

---edit---

overwriting of a double post with something usefull...

I really hate my ISDN... <_>

Edited by Mad

So, you hyenas, here is a new version. Rip it apart.. :P

COLLECTOR

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Craft/Collector

After extensive research on the new UFO Type we discovered, it seems that we are dealing with a highly specialized craft. The Collector UFO seems to be designed for one sole purpose: research on the Human race. Target persons are kidnapped and experimented on and while there is evidence that some abductees have been returned to Earth, all suffer irreversible short-term memory loss.

The Collector can be classified as a medium sized craft featuring an uncommon design compared to other UFOs. In the centre of the ship, a floor opening is found, leaving a big hole in the UFOs hull. Interestingly the flight abilities don’t seem to be compromised by this uncommon feature. The Collector is nearly as manoeuvrable as and even a little bit faster than other medium sized UFOs although only equipped with two power sources. The board armament features a single relatively short ranged high gain plasma cannon with medium firepower. The Collector's interior houses interesting medical equipment which needs further research.

A maximum of eighteen crew members can be expected inside an undamaged craft, which is a fairly small compliment of Alien troops for a craft of this size. Nevertheless these shock troopers should not be under estimated, as the best alien soldiers are chosen for these missions, presumably to ensure that the humans are taken alive, not dead.

Aside the skillful design of this craft, the interior shows a horrifying scene to the unprepared.

Even a battle-hardened soldier might tremble when entering this craft. There are complete galleries displaying poor souls examined by the Aliens. Some of them are dead and preserved, some are still alive and in unimaginable states. Being Unwilling participants in horrifying experiments they often are mutilated beyond recognition. It appears that even the Aliens' technology was pushed to the limit to keep these subjects alive to finish the extreme surgical procedures they underwent.

Unfortunately, all the abductees perished long before the craft was secured for our medical units.

The heart of this ship seems to be found in that part we call “Alien Medical Room”. Someday, we may be able to use the various instruments found in there for mankind's benefits.

On the bottom of the vessel some type of tractor beam can be found, presumably used to lift up the abducted without the need of ground contact. This tractor beam, based on a version of the grav lifts which can be found inside the larger UFOs, pulls the subject into a small room, where we suspect the  first person to person contact with the abductor beeing established. Unfortunately we do not understand how to operate or block the device as of yet. We suspect some kind of mind controlled operation, since we were not able to detect any control-consoles.

Interestingly the Aliens prefer to land and set down a group of “hunters” before committing the actual abduction, presumably to ensure the safe boarding of the target. We suspect, that the tractor beam cannot be used on moving persons.

We suggest a prioritization of X-Corps activities to protect the civilian population. Just like alien terror missions, although most of the abductees do not know what happened to them, alien abductions have a profound psychological effect on the public, which may compromise national governments and in turn, X-Corp funding. Despite the resulting tactical risk, we recommend UFO's to be engaged, and captured/destroyed whenever possible before they are able to conduct their gruesome mission.

"Who else wants a ride up the tractor beam?" -Dr. Zacov, X-Corps Scientist

Edited by Mad

I can't see any flaws right now, and I'll leave proofreading to my dear friend Astyanax :D

It may be just me, but I think the text doesn't (let me use a greek phrase :P) "flow" well... That's why I made most changes in my post. :(

Well, short term memory is a thing a lot of people quarrel about, but normally the definition is "up to 1-2 hours". If the procedure is taking longer, they just rip them every full hour.. :)

Indeed, short term memory (working memory) is supposed to last for about half a minute. BUT, the time needed for information to pass into long-term memory may be up to some hours. There is no "mid-term" memory, but short term is suitable for our purpose

I can't see any flaws right now, and I'll leave proofreading to my dear friend Astyanax :D

It may be just me, but I think the text doesn't (let me use a greek phrase :P) "flow" well... That's why I made most changes in my post. :(

Heraklitos' "panta rei"? :P

Indeed, short term memory (working memory) is supposed to last for about half a minute. BUT, the time needed for information to pass into long-term memory may be up to some hours. There is no "mid-term" memory, but short term is suitable for our purpose

This depends on the defenitions. But I have to agree partly, I just didn't want to make this any more complicated. The most used and still simplified definition nowadays is: Short term memory, containing working memory (seconds), something one could translate like "actual short term memory" containing the results of the working memory (one to maximum two hours) and then the true long term memory...

Τα πάντα ρει, indeed....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW! J'ordos, you always confuse me ^_^

Έλληνας είναι αυτός που μετέχει της ελληνικής παιδείας! - Ισοκράτης :NyaNyaNya:

panhellenism? :)

This depends on the defenitions. But I have to agree partly, I just didn't want to make this any more complicated. The most used and still simplified definition nowadays is: Short term memory, containing working memory (seconds), something one could translate like "actual short term memory" containing the results of the working memory (one to maximum two hours) and then the true long term memory...

Maybe we can say the aliens have some sort of neural blocker, inhibiting data from the short term memory to be transferred to the long term memory? Occasionally it fails though (some genetic defect in the human subject?) since some abductees remember it.

Τα πάντα ρει, indeed....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW! J'ordos, you always confuse me ^_^

Έλληνας είναι αυτός που μετέχει της ελληνικής παιδείας! - Ισοκράτης :NyaNyaNya:

panhellenism? :)

Maybe we can say the aliens have some sort of neural blocker, inhibiting data from the short term memory to be transferred to the long term memory? Occasionally it fails though (some genetic defect in the human subject?) since some abductees remember it.

Or we could just make it simple and write: "...some abductees have been returned to Earth, all suffer irreversible memory loss of the events that took place inside the Alien craft...", or something like it.

Or we could just make it simple and write: "...some abductees have been returned to Earth, all suffer irreversible memory loss of the events that took place inside the Alien craft...", or something like it.

Which is - more or less - what I wrote... :)

I read or hear somewhere that sleep transfers short term memory to long term memory.

so short term seems feasible

"Data" is transfered to the "long term memory" all the time, not only while one sleeps. Sleeps seems to be more important for your psyche then for "storing data" to the "tapes" :)

Guest Azrael

Not really, if you pay attention, I didn't mention the word "short-term", which is what is causing this debate about what is short-term and what isn't B)

Not really, if you pay attention, I didn't mention the word "short-term", which is what is causing this debate about what is short-term and what isn't B)

ohh... sneaky... <_>

A maximum of eighteen crew members can be expected inside an undamaged craft, which is a fairly small compliment of Alien troops for a craft of this size. Nevertheless these shock troopers should not be under estimated, as the best alien soldiers are chosen for these missions, presumably to ensure that the humans are taken alive, not dead. How do we know they are the best? and even so, all Alien clones are the same in-game, except from the rank differences (leaders with psi, etc), I suggest you remove "as the best alien soldiers are chosen for these missions", and just stick to "not understimate them".

You should mention that Alien Terrorist Species will be present on this UFO, as they are not (IIRC) on any other ship type (or am I wrong?).

Aside the skillful design of this craft, the interior shows a horrifying scene to the unprepared. I'd say it's horrifying for anyone

Even a battle-hardened soldier might tremble when entering this craft. this still reads odd, maybe something like "Even a battle-hardened soldier might tremble when entering this craft and stepping into the gruesome Alien Medical Rooms, where entire galleries containing the remainings of the poor souls examined by the Alien medics; unwilling participants in... There are complete galleries displaying poor souls examined by the Aliens. Some of them are dead and preserved, some are still alive and in unimaginable states. Being Unwilling participants in horrifying experiments they often are mutilated beyond recognition. read my previous suggestion, merge, also, "horrifying" is repetitive here It appears that even the Aliens' technology was pushed to the limit to keep these subjects alive to finish the extreme surgical procedures they underwent.

Unfortunately, all the abductees perished long before the craft was secured for our medical units.

The heart of this ship seems to be found in that part we call “Alien Medical Room”. Someday, we may be able to use the various instruments found in there for mankind's benefits. how about : "Someday, we may be able to make use of the various instruments for Mankind's good, instead of for assisting in its destruction" ?

On the bottom of the vessel some type of tractor beam I think you're using the words "tractor beam" assuming too much that people will automatically know what it is, but some players may not know Star Trek or Star Wars, or may not like it so they don't watch it, so they probably won't know as quick to figure it out, I suggest a small and brief sentence explaining what they are can be found, presumably used to lift up the abducted without the need of ground contact. This tractor beam, based on a version of the grav lifts which can be found inside the larger UFOs, pulls the subject into a small room, where we suspect the first person to person contact with the abductor beeing established. Unfortunately we do not understand how to operate or block the device as of yet. We suspect some kind of mind controlled operation, since we were not able to detect any control-consoles. I don't really see the need to introduce mind-controlled equipment here, I'd stick to regular consoles we just haven't been able to figure out yet, not all Aliens have Psi...

Interestingly the Aliens prefer to land and set down a group of “hunters” before committing the actual abduction, presumably to ensure the safe boarding of the target. We suspect, that the tractor beam cannot be used on moving persons.

merge this last sentence with the previous one: "...of the victim, we also suspect that the tractor beam cannot be used on moving targets

We suggest a prioritization of X-Corps activities to protect the civilian population. Just like alien terror missions, although most of the abductees do not know what happened to them, alien abductions have a profound psychological effect on the public, which may compromise national governments and in turn, X-Corp funding. Despite the resulting tactical risk, we recommend UFO's to be engaged, and captured/destroyed whenever possible before they are able to conduct their gruesome mission.

Edited by Azrael

• 3 weeks later...
How do we know they are the best? and even so, all Alien clones are the same in-game, except from the rank differences (leaders with psi, etc), I suggest you remove "as the best alien soldiers are chosen for these missions", and just stick to "not understimate them".

You should mention that Alien Terrorist Species will be present on this UFO, as they are not (IIRC) on any other ship type (or am I wrong?).

I thought we could add some spice to the text. I agree. They are all the same, there is nothing "feelable" in the game, but in "reality" it would be the case, and I think it does no harm... There could be clones which work better and there are for sure clones with more and such with less battle experiences... So they take those which are more experienced. So maybe I should write the most experienced... :)

Terros species on an abductor? Can't remember right now, but I don't think I saw one of them in there...

The heart of this ship seems to be found in that part we call “Alien Medical Room”. Someday, we may be able to use the various instruments found in there for mankind's benefits. how about : "Someday, we may be able to make use of the various instruments for Mankind's good, instead of for assisting in its destruction" ?

Nah.. I don't like this. It is too long. Too "complicated" Sry.

On the bottom of the vessel some type of tractor beam I think you're using the words "tractor beam" assuming too much that people will automatically know what it is, but some players may not know Star Trek or Star Wars, or may not like it so they don't watch it, so they probably won't know as quick to figure it out, I suggest a small and brief sentence explaining what they are

Do you really think this is necessary? I mean, the text already says, it's a beam used to lift up the persons. So what more to expalain? Well, nevertheless, I added sth... :)

merge this last sentence with the previous one: "...of the victim, we also suspect that the tractor beam cannot be used on moving targets

But I wanted to say that this is the actual reason. The target has to reamin still, so they need the troopers to fixate it...

So this is the new version...

COLLECTOR

After extensive research on the new UFO Type we discovered, it seems that we are dealing with a highly specialized craft. The Collector UFO seems to be designed for one sole purpose: research on the Human race. Target persons are kidnapped and experimented on, and while there is evidence that some abductees have been returned to Earth, all suffer irreversible memory loss of the events that took place inside the Alien craft .

The Collector can be classified as a medium sized craft featuring an uncommon design compared to other UFOs. In the centre of the ship, a floor opening is found, leaving a big hole in the UFOs hull. Interestingly the flight abilities don’t seem to be compromised by this uncommon feature. The Collector is nearly as manoeuvrable as and even a little bit faster than other medium sized UFOs although only equipped with two power sources. The board armament features a single relatively short ranged high gain plasma cannon with medium firepower. The Collector's interior houses interesting medical equipment which needs further research.

A maximum of eighteen crew members can be expected inside an undamaged craft, which is a fairly small compliment of Alien troops for a craft of this size. Nevertheless these shock troopers should not be under estimated, as the most experienced alien soldiers are chosen for these missions, presumably to ensure that the humans are taken alive, not dead.

Aside the skillful design of this craft, the interior shows a horrifying scene to those who dare to enter.

Even a battle-hardened soldier might tremble when opening the doors and stepping into the gruesome Alien Medical Rooms, displaying entire galleries containing the remains of the poor souls examined by the Alien medics; unwilling participants in life despising experiments, often mutilated beyond recognition. Some of the victims are dead and preserved, some are still alive and in unimaginable states. It appears that even the Aliens' technology was pushed to the limit to keep these subjects alive to finish the extreme surgical procedures they underwent.

The heart of this ship seems to be found in that part we call “Alien Medical Room”. Someday, we may be able to use the various instruments found in there for mankind's benefits.

On the bottom of the vessel some type of “tractor beam” - a device using electromagnetic radiation or anti gravitational technology of some kind to move objects through the air - can be found, presumably used to lift up the abducted without the need of ground contact. This tractor beam, based on a version of the grav lifts which can be found inside the larger UFOs, pulls the subject into a small room, where we suspect the first person to person contact with the abductor beeing established. Unfortunately we do not understand how to operate or block the device as of yet, since we are unable to bring sense in the writings on the board we suspect to be the console.

---Edit---

broken quote chain... <_>

Edited by Mad

I thought we could add some spice to the text. I agree. They are all the same, there is nothing "feelable" in the game, but in "reality" it would be the case, and I think it does no harm... There could be clones which work better and there are for sure clones with more and such with less battle experiences... So they take those which are more experienced. So maybe I should write the most experienced... :)

Terros species on an abductor? Can't remember right now, but I don't think I saw one of them in there...

Nevertheless, the Player may expect superior warriors from a Collector, but he's not getting any, they are just as strong as regular Aliens, that's why it must be taken off or modified, we don't want to give the player the wrong impression, after all, these entries are supposed to be of some help :unsure:

My mistake about the terrorists, I confused the name "Collector" to be the name of the "Terror Ship", but the latter is "Intimidator", my bad.

Then please look for a synonim for the word "benefits", doesn't fit right.

On the bottom of the vessel some type of tractor beam I think you're using the words "tractor beam" assuming too much that people will automatically know what it is, but some players may not know Star Trek or Star Wars, or may not like it so they don't watch it, so they probably won't know as quick to figure it out, I suggest a small and brief sentence explaining what they are

Do you really think this is necessary? I mean, the text already says, it's a beam used to lift up the persons. So what more to expalain? Well, nevertheless, I added sth... :)

It won't hurt.. ;)

But I wanted to say that this is the actual reason. The target has to reamin still, so they need the troopers to fixate it...

It'd make the same sense, but you can keep them separated if you want :)

what's wrong with benefit?

what's wrong with benefit?

Doesn't read good. Or maybe it's the way it's phrased. Maybe "...for the benefit of Mankind".

I know "benefitS" is not correct.

Doesn't read good. Or maybe it's the way it's phrased. Maybe "...for the benefit of Mankind".

Ahh.. benefitS! I must've overread this... <_>

So I think I will use:

"Someday, we may be able to use the various instruments found in there for mankind's good."

(Neverthekless, I don't see the deal 'bout my formulation - apart from the "S". Well I bow before my master... ^_^ )

Anything else? :)

Ahh.. benefitS! I must've overread this... <_<

So I think I will use:

"Someday, we may be able to use the various instruments found in there for mankind's good."

(Neverthekless, I don't see the deal 'bout my formulation - apart from the "S". Well I bow before my master... ^_^ )

Anything else? :)

Not much, but "benefit of Mankind" sounds much better than "mankind's benefit" to my ears :)

• 3 weeks later...

Last draft? Is it done now?

COLLECTOR

After extensive research on the new UFO Type we discovered, it seems that we are dealing with a highly specialized craft. The Collector UFO seems to be designed for one sole purpose: research on the Human race. Target persons are kidnapped and experimented on, and while there is evidence that some abductees have been returned to Earth, all suffer irreversible memory loss of the events that took place inside the Alien craft .

A maximum of eighteen crew members can be expected inside an undamaged craft, which is a fairly small compliment of Alien troops for a craft of this size. Nevertheless these shock troopers should not be under estimated, as the most experienced alien soldiers are chosen for these missions, presumably to ensure that the humans are taken alive, not dead.

Aside the skillful design of this craft, the interior shows a horrifying scene to those who dare to enter.

Even a battle-hardened soldier might tremble when opening the doors and stepping into the gruesome Alien Medical Rooms, displaying entire galleries containing the remains of the poor souls examined by the Alien medics; unwilling participants in life despising experiments, often mutilated beyond recognition. Some of the victims are dead and preserved, some are still alive and in unimaginable states. It appears that even the Aliens' technology was pushed to the limit to keep these subjects alive to finish the extreme surgical procedures they underwent.

The heart of this ship seems to be found in that part we call “Alien Medical Room”. Someday, we may be able to use the various instruments found in there for benefit of mankind.

On the bottom of the vessel some type of “tractor beam” - a device using electromagnetic radiation or anti gravitational technology of some kind to move objects through the air - can be found, presumably used to lift up the abducted without the need of ground contact. This tractor beam, based on a version of the grav lifts which can be found inside the larger UFOs, pulls the subject into a small room, where we suspect the first person to person contact with the abductor beeing established. Unfortunately we do not understand how to operate or block the device as of yet, since we are unable to bring sense in the writings on the board we suspect to be the console.