7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris StarShade

Chris StarShade

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:14 PM

Hmm, some or even many of you may have already discovered this.

But, for those of you who haven't, go explore the Sounds directory in the X-COM directory.

You will see none other than midi files! (and a few cat files)

Thus, to replace the music you merely have to copy a different midi into the directory and give it the name of the midi you want to replace.

If you have a men in black midi you could have a lot of fun with this "feature"

:wink:

If nothing else, it will give you a reason to comb the internet for midi files. Hmm... DangerZone for the intercept music... sounds good... *alters files*
Psionics? Bah! Glorified staring contest.

#2 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 02:02 PM

So, how did it go?
"You're just jealous because the voices in my head only talk to me."

"I only think this stuff up ..
then I have to write it down so it doesn't corrupt the rest of my brain.. "

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another which states that this has already happened.
-Douglas Adams (The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy)"

#3 Chris StarShade

Chris StarShade

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 12:16 PM

Ay, I have confirmed that it works. The midi files pump out exactly as they sound in WinAmp at the appropriate times. Now if I could figure out a way to modify the cat files, I could have aliens dying saying "Tis but a scratch!" or an alien scream that sounds like "meow!" or a plasma gun that goes "boing!" when it shoots.

Oh well, I'll settle for fooling with the midi files for now.
Psionics? Bah! Glorified staring contest.

#4 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 01:17 PM

Ay, I have confirmed that it works.  The midi files pump out exactly as they sound in WinAmp at the appropriate times.  Now if I could figure out a way to modify the cat files, I could have aliens dying saying "Tis but a scratch!" or an alien scream that sounds like "meow!" or a plasma gun that goes "boing!" when it shoots. 

Oh well, I'll settle for fooling with the midi files for now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

use cooledit to edit cat files.
edit : to be more specific, quoting micah :

've used an old version of a program called Cooledit to open/manipulate the .cat files and saved them to a modern format. When you open the .cat files, be sure to open them with these properties:
11025khz, Mono, 8-bit, PCM Unsigned.

CoolEdit

This is an unregistered version, so select the Save feature at the very least, and whatever other one you want.

Back in the 'day,' the chopper sound was a driver problem.

Edited by j'ordos, 16 August 2004 - 03:04 PM.

"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#5 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 04:38 PM

i believe you can view the CAT files, but not modify them. iirc, if you try to, the CAT file no longer works in-game (either the game crashes to desktop when loading geoscape / battlescape, doesn't play any sounds on geoscape / battlescape or doesn't play certain sounds on geoscape / battlescape).

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

#6 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 05:30 PM

i believe you can view the CAT files, but not modify them. iirc, if you try to, the CAT file no longer works in-game (either the game crashes to desktop when loading geoscape / battlescape, doesn't play any sounds on geoscape / battlescape or doesn't play certain sounds on geoscape / battlescape).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

does it just need sounds of the exact same length, or does it has some sort of filechecking routine making it completely impossible to alter anything?
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#7 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 05:40 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

does it just need sounds of the exact same length, or does it has some sort of filechecking routine making it completely impossible to alter anything?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think each sound has some thingy pointing out that the sound starts there. unless someone figures out how that works, it's impossible to alter anything :(

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

#8 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:33 AM

Damn, that's low...
Then again, back in the days, they probably had to do it in assembler... that'd explain it... *roll*
"You're just jealous because the voices in my head only talk to me."

"I only think this stuff up ..
then I have to write it down so it doesn't corrupt the rest of my brain.. "

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another which states that this has already happened.
-Douglas Adams (The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy)"