XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Making The Mind-shield Usefull

mikker

Well, the mindshield does AFAIK only repell craft when it seek to FIND the base, not ATTACK it. Couldnt it be the same for the aliens wanting to acturly attack it? Aliens could rely so much on brain waves for detection, that they do not map the location precise enough for an assault team?

I'm not sure how the mind shield works in the original. NKF could know. I have had my own experiences though!

1. If aliens have attacked your base already and you build a mind shield, they won't stop attacking -> so doesn't help

2. If aliens haven't attacked your base yet and you build a mind shield, you can still be attacked by aliens.

So how the heck is it working in original? I think it reduces the probability of getting attacked by aliens IF you haven't been attacked to that base yet before. I'm not sure though and I can't figure out how the game would calculate the possibilitys of attacking with and without the mind shield. Definitely should be made more useful. I never use it as it is now.

before the very larege ufos come, small scouts come to reveal your location. the mindshield is supposed to fend off those.

• 3 weeks later...

Could it be changed so that it also decreases efficiency of attacking troops?

Like denying access of Mutons, as they die if not mentally linked to ethereals. And seriously decreasing or preventing alien or both sides MC chance?

• 2 weeks later...

So it was in the great original... But it was quite a waste of money to build one. It could be made more useful by decreasing MC-prob. Think of ethereals storming your base, just when they enter power is turned on and they realize they can barely sustain themselves, without chance of controlling anyone´s mind...

:crying:

Edited by Tuoppi

That's a great idea, Tuoppi. That'd make the mind shield INCREDIBLY useful on base defense.

I wonder, because of Muton physiology, would they be affected by it as well? They rely on PSI input to function properly.

What if a mind shield kept alien scouts from triangulating your base? They'd find one, but would need to send a battleship to find its exact location. If it got lucky, it would attack, and if it didn't, it'd fly off, or attack the military base a few miles down the road. Poor guys, glad I'm not them! ^_^

Nice ideas. The one to block the the entry of alien scouts is really a good one and the etheral biz to....(*thinks to himself* i would like to have good ideas too.... :().

*LOL*

hmmmm....I like the idea of a "Psionic-wave blocking invsible jelly" arround your base. But this would also decrease your powers (like etherials, not completely like from psi attack 90 to psi attack 45), as you are within it too.

• 4 months later...

Surely it could be made to allow signals from Psi-Amps, but not allow signals from aliens, who don't use that technology anyway? So it dampens the signals from nearby minds, but not from nearby amplifiers :)

On a tangent: Wouldn't it be kinda cool if you could set up "psi decoys" later in the game, to try and prompt an alien attack? So suddenly when flying over they detect what looks like a large concentrations of minds much like an XCOM base... and then you can shoot them down on their way to it, and laugh as they waste resources on a decoy :D