• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Tsereve

Tsereve

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 895 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 07:47 PM

I downloaded a weapons editor a while ago, so I could try to beat the game with only conventional weapons, so of course I had to upgrade them a "bit". Anyway, the point is, I soon got REALLY bored of (getting my @$$ kicked) it, cuz it was too easy *cough*, so I changed the weapons settings back to normal. the problem is, now, whenever I play EU, the rifles, auto-cannons, etc. are still on super-powered mode :blink: . However many times I change those values back, the next time I turn on my computer, they go back to ultra-weapons :crying: . Any ideas? :huh?: I'll post again as soon as I find that editor. That way, you guys can all drive yourselves crazy with weapons stuck on 70 power. -_-
If you can help me out of this, :master: :master:
Justice will be dispensed by cannonade and cutlass, and all manner of remorseless pieces of metal.

Take one more step, and I swear, I will kill you so hard you will die to death.

#2 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 11:47 PM

Here, a very quick fix. I'll zip up my copy of obdata.dat. Get a copy and unzip the file into your geodata directory.

You might want to keep it as a backup in case this happens again.

- NKF

Attached Files

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#3 Guest_alex the greater_*

Guest_alex the greater_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2004 - 03:47 AM

in the future always backup edited files when you mod

#4 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 09:37 AM

Yup, that's a hard earned lesson... Always backup...
That's why I had lost my original copy of XCOM... diskettes were so unreliable in those days... :crying:
"You're just jealous because the voices in my head only talk to me."

"I only think this stuff up ..
then I have to write it down so it doesn't corrupt the rest of my brain.. "

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another which states that this has already happened.
-Douglas Adams (The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy)"

#5 The Master Maniac

The Master Maniac

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 01:22 PM

That's why I have over 7 "copies" of X-Com 1 on my hard drive. :)

#6 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:17 AM

Well, if your HDD crashes, what happens?? :o
That's not a "real" backup, a very good one would be to have it on 2 different CDs, in two sepparate houses (in case there's a fire), or in another country if need be... :LOL:

[edit]
Then again, we can download it from abandonware sites now, (such as I did :D), so I guess you're not that much at risk of losing the game anymore, just your saved games and modding... -_-

Edited by Paladin, 21 September 2004 - 06:18 AM.

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

#7 The Master Maniac

The Master Maniac

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:16 AM

Hmm, if my hard drive melts, what do I do...? Well, judging from the fact that there's more than 2 GB of my painstakingly-gathered music files (56k modem here!), I'd probably go berserk. And I'd have to get X-Com again.

Hmm...

Well, I have two computers, so it's a tradeoff.

By the way, I already have a backup stashed in a vault in Switzerland--my laundered millions and a spare backup of X-Com sit inside. I'm that good.

Edited by The Master Maniac, 21 September 2004 - 11:17 AM.

#8 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 06:19 AM

Hehe... Swiss bank vault... ^_^

Ever heard of a CD-burner? That's what backups are all about these days :D

#9 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 06:26 AM

What? Here I was making several gigs of backups on punch cards...

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#10 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 06:51 AM

What? Here I was making several gigs of backups on punch cards...

- NKF

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:stupid: Hehehe...
Do you know how many TONS of punchcards you'D need to put a simgle Gig...?? :whip: :monster:

Let's see, according to this link, a standard punch card holds approximately... (for the standard 80 columns card), each column could hold one character, encoded as some combination of punches in the 12 rows of the card. The common 6-bit BCD encodings of the 12 columns of a punched card allowed for 64 distinct punch combinations, and that is, six bits...

A GigabYte is approximately 1 073 741 824 bits, so we'd need approximately 178 956 971 punch cards for a gigabyte of data... :sly:
Let's say they all weight, say, ten grams (which is not unreasonnable), the total weight would be around 1 790 metric tons of paper... :o

The same 1 Gig of data fits in two CDs, or a 1/8th of a dual layer DVD burned at home... :D

[edit]
Anyone care to verify the numbers? :LOL:

Edited by Paladin, 22 September 2004 - 06:52 AM.

#11 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:50 AM

my backups don't even fit in 2 DVDs :P

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

#12 Tsereve

Tsereve

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 895 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:33 PM

Thanx guys, you rock, you probably just saved me a collective 4 hours.

Edit: OMG, you changed your sig to a non-anim banner with an anim link! THANK YOU, SUPSUPER!!! :LOL: Took me forever to scroll down a forum with your posts everywhere, but now. . . :happybanana: Always wanted to use that smily :happybanana: Wow, this is fun! Sorry, I just HAVE TO do it again: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: Sorry for all you 52k losers (including me) who have to spend eternity waiting for this to load, I just :happybanana: this smily!

Edited by Tsereve, 24 September 2004 - 07:38 PM.

Justice will be dispensed by cannonade and cutlass, and all manner of remorseless pieces of metal.

#13 The Master Maniac

The Master Maniac

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 442 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 12:14 AM

Indeed.

End note--that's a lot of friggin' punch cards.

#14 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:40 AM

Yep, some people just go crazy with the :happybanana:
^_^

Btw, should'nt it be in the cache, as in, no need to reload it everytime?

And yeah, punch cards were a pain in those days, my parents used them in their university days, and the worst part was that you had to put you ballot (program) in the batch queue, where it was processed overnight by a machine to decode it for the "computer" (that our wrist watches now have more computing power), and passed along to another machine that punched the answer on more punchcards... The next morning you knew if you had made a compile error, or a typo in writing it... :LOL:
Those were the bronze age of computers, barely 30-40 years ago... :D
(pre-historic computers of teh 1945-50 had no punch cards, only switches where you could input '0' and '1'... :o)

#15 The Master Maniac

The Master Maniac

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 442 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:04 PM

*shudder* I quake to think how long it would take to install Half-Life 2 using punch-cards. :devillaugh:

#16 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 08:19 AM

Well, you got the numbers above, multiply by the number of Gigs it takes, and it will show you how big a Gig really is...
Ten years ago, it was barely beginning to be immaginable to have one Gig of HDD space... Nowadays we have that much RAM... :D

#17 Tsereve

Tsereve

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 08:45 AM

. . .ouch. . .that's a lot of cards.

Sorry, I can't resist. Besides, I gotta celibrate my 100th post:
:happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana:

Look out, it's the army!( :happybanana: )
a.k.a. :whatwhat:

edit:why are these bananas so happy, anyway? Who gave them permission to be happy, while other people are. . .not happy? So arrogant. . .

Edited by Tsereve, 01 October 2004 - 03:08 PM.

#18 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 08:55 AM

Hehe... They're just happy, are you jealous!!
Because it kinda defeats the pupose...
The point is that happyness is contagious: :happybanana:

Congrats on your promotion!! Here's your shiny new badge: :x1lieutenant:
(at least, I think it's the one :huh?:

Btw, was'nt this topic on a weapon editor?? O:)

Edited by Paladin, 01 October 2004 - 02:57 PM.

#19 The Master Maniac

The Master Maniac

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 442 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 12:20 PM

Uh...somewhere back there...uh...maybe... (cough)

#20 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:59 PM

You know, reviewing the thread made me think how FAR we had diverted from the topic... and how often :hammer:

Quite funny actually. :LOL:

#21 Tsereve

Tsereve

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 03:12 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the right badge. Concerning the topic divertions: that's xcomufo.com for you.

BTW, Paladin, you joined this forum some 3(?) days after me--how did you get almost 6 times as many posts as me? Probably has something to do with my 52k modem, but who can stay mad with this guy around?---> :happybanana:

Edited by Tsereve, 01 October 2004 - 03:13 PM.

#22 Tsereve

Tsereve

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 895 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 10:41 AM

Dam, my computer had an error last night, and it crashed. Then, when I tried to play X-Com again, the weapons data was screwy again! I redownloaded your thing, NKF, but it has no effect anymore! :crying: :crying: :crying:

#23 Dover

Dover

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:12 PM

My suggestion to you, sir.

Your copy of xcom is INFECTED. Your hard drive is DISEASED. What you have to do is EXTERMINATE any reminant of this EPIDEMIC (aka, uninstall xcom, deleate the folder, etc), reinstall, and calmly proceed with your life.

#24 Oldblue153

Oldblue153

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:42 PM

My suggestion to you, sir.

Your copy of xcom is INFECTED. Your hard drive is DISEASED. What you have to do is EXTERMINATE any reminant of this EPIDEMIC (aka, uninstall xcom, deleate the folder, etc), reinstall, and calmly proceed with your life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

pssst Dover...that post is 15 months 2 days old.