XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Morals?

T-1

in reponse to the general "Evil" Xcom idea, I have one thing to say... Where would we be getting replacement troops and engineers and scientists from now?I suppose we could say that the soldiers come from mercs, engineers and scientist would then be hired from the public sector and such...
But if that's so, I'd like to see that the cost of acquiring them go up, as well as buying any Terran equipment since you'd be force to use the black market...

Actually I think I covered this in another thread, simply disabling the ability to hire new staff, and forcing the player to go on X-Corps terror missions, whilst "black marketting" all other standard equipment.

In order to gain new personnel, you would have to go on stun raids in cities and army bases, kill or stun any protectors, draught the useful ones into your forces (with heavily defended sites, such as research labs and military installations having better troops on average, and better chances of having "usable" technicians and scientists) and dump the rest. Possibly even losing more than you gained on some missions, but that's the price of evil. :devillaugh: Possibly requiring a new facility to "implant" them with the same control methods as the aliens use, and another facility to hold those awaiting implantation.
Or just torture them into submission. It's all good. :hammer:

Well, I'd assume that, even going this "evil route" here, that if throughout the game the black market is still open to you, I'd imagine that instead of recruiting from a larger pool of cooperative nations (i.e. there's more at your disposal), the market could shift to start sending you files on these mercs.

I mean, they're bound to know a few willing souls who'd fight for the right price. I'd suggest that going evil closes your recruiting ability with nations, but opens up slowly through the underworld. Availability should be more sporadic, but certainly with higher price tags attached than the standard 'agreed upon' flat rate 40k that nations gave. Same for the other staff varieties.

I like the thought of including people in the raid equation along with supplies and cash too, but the market could step in for you there (as long as it still functions that is, or your not sooo eeeevil that the evil guys who run the evil market think your too evil even for them :))

• 2 months later...

Look it up. Minuteman II Intercontinental Balistic Missiles re-enter earth's atmosphere at over 18,000 mph. That's why missiles defence systems are so hard to make. That's a lot faster and a lot smaller than any of the UFOs in the game. Also ICBM's usually have between 6 and 10 warheads. Usually a few are decoys. Good luck with your plasma defense. If the US wants to destroy evil xcorp with it's 6000 odd nuclear weapons, I think it could do just that. At most xcorp has a few thousand people, some alien tech and 8 bases. That would be a cakewalk.

Also, I bet 1 in 5 xcorp personelle is a spy for whatever government. All are probably loyal to their native country. Most of the tech in xcom is already under some kind of development by first world states anyway. This thread is rediculous.

A new thought: Launching a mission to MC every world leader before the have a chance to figure out who's attacking and where to send the missile to. The secret service-type people who protect these guys may be very well trained and using some pretty effective weapons, but they don't stand a chance against psi, power armor, and heavy plasma. Furthermore, once you mc the leaders of a certain country, not many will know what happened. Use a "terrorist attack" coverstory. Launch nukes at any remaining nuke-equipped countries before they can attack. No one's left to take on X-Corps.

EDIT: Additionally, you could probably make a lot more effective WOMD using alien tech. A blaster bomb is just a few atoms of antimatter, right? How about putting a lot more than a few atoms in there?

Edited by T-1

If they started nuking 'holes-in-the-ground', that is not easy to cover up. Someone would start ask questions, actually a lot of people. States would probably connect the dots, but that is not where the problems come from. There are so many Nuke test bans you could not claim you were doing that. More covert methods would liekly be needed for a nation to eliminate an X-COM prescence(attacking terrorist camp, etc.).

• 4 months later...

Leader: We nuked X-Corps and saved the world.

Reporter: What's X-Corps?

Leader: An organization we paid a few billion dollars to for saving the world..

Reporter: From what?

Leader: Aliens!

Reporter: What???

Besides, some bases would be in semi-populated areas.

• 1 month later...
This whole idea would be good as a MOD, but I would be happy with classic X-com style gameplay. Unless, maybe as a twist, the Aliens infiltrate countries and MC the leaders, pursuading them to pull their funding. Then you could have a choice of missions: Go on Counter-infiltration missions to the various governments and kill the MCing aliens, or try to reach Thanatos without monthly funding.

That would be a cool mod. Imagine landing on the Whitehouse lawn, fighting through the secret service and reaching the president to free his mind, drawing the sectoid out like poison from a wound... Well that would be hard to cover up I guess but fun...

Anyhow, I too am greatly looking forward to a simple xcom remake. The rest of this stuff doesn't really interest me too much.

I like your train of thought there Blood Angel. In other threads about peforming infiltration/counter infiltration missions by the player playing as X-COM, I don't think the idea was ever brought up to have it be an alien with MC ability that you had to stop in order to lift that shroud that prevented the nation from continued support of the organization.

I think this certainly works as one way to approach that kind of mission rather than it being about catching them in the act of actually replacing the leader (stopping an abduction as it happens) or rescuing then supplanting the alien with the X-COM friendly leader.

Maybe, as this thread relates to morality and/or the conquest playstyle, this method can take a slightly different twist in terms of putting a leader in place who'd have ties to the underworld. The idea that, among the leadership who knows about X-COM's activities and had issues then started to ignore you, he'd probably stand with them when polled about it when confronted, but secretly supported your current course.

Oh well, it might be one way to explain in the CTD why you'd lose widespread outlets of supplies and recruitment ability, and gain a new way to, by any proactive actions along those lines you'd taken to connect yourself to that underworld.

To the player's perspective, they're just doing a different kind of mission, find the MC'ing alien and kick the crap out of them; or find the unfriendly-to-X-COM-stooge, give him a knuckle sandwich, and leave a different person in charge.