XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Is Ufo2000 A Stand-alone Game?

qubodup

Hello there, for a long time I have ignored this project, because I am not interested in engines, that allow to play old, unfree games (like openttd.)

Recently I spotted your sf.net description, which sounds like "you can use the xcom resources to play this game, BUT you can also play it just like that!"

Is this true? Or is it required to have the original game data?

If it's possible: Is it possible to play it out-of-the-box? Or would I have to create a data tree with replacements for each graphic of the original? Is there a placeholder media package? is there a free media package in the works/already finished?

Regards, qubodup

ps: I suppose this should be moved to http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8146 . sorry

Edited by qubodup

You could always download the game and find out. ;)

While it is possible to create some custom material such as weapon sets, units (to an extent), maps, and other misc objects, some prefer the X-com material. All you have to do is own the game and place the data in ufo2000's xcom directory. There is no legal issues with ufo2000 as a stand alone game because in no way does it contain any x-com material as you download it. It has it's own material by default, although somewhat lacking (want to contribute?), it is possible to play it without any x-com propriety data.

I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with older games and why you continue to tell yourself they're "the plague", but as for being an "engine" to play old games such as x-com or tftd, I have to say I'm sorry to inform you it reproduces many ideas and could be considered a clone in most perspectives.

I strongly suggest you play it (it's mostly an online game) before you consider it "the plague"...

For the FAQs, yours doesn't seem to frequent.