XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Action Music

fidel_

Are we going to have action music (like in apocalypse) in the game? If the music would change according to the situation it would be pretty great. For example, when your soldiers are searching the site for the aliens the music would of course be dark and creepy to build up the pressure, but when an alien pops up behind the corner the music would change a bit, getting more aggressive in style and faster in tempo. One alien isn't much of a threat for your squad to handle, so the music shouldn't change too much. Eight aliens on the other hand should create a real situation, so the music should reach its apex in aggressiveness (sp?) there.

Just a thought, in few games I've seen this in practice it has worked pretty well.

I think apocs "action music" was ridiculous. Maybe if it would be done well it could be neat but if it's done like in apoc, please, save me from it :LOL: Edited by Nyyperoid

Yeah, in apocalypse it was a bit weird. If I remember right the action music kicked in everytime an alien was sighted, and stopped when there was none to be seen. So you usually got sudden changes of music (especially in realtime) when some alien decided to show his face for one turn and go hiding the next. This should be done a bit better, maybe with different levels of action music so it won't change from dark & creepy to dense combat music in a second, just because a single alien took a peek around the corner. The switch from normal music to combat music should also sound seamless, which it certainly didn't in apocalypse.

Basically what I was thinking was having the action music very loyal in style to the normal music, and then transform it slowly to more aggressive and faster in tempo as the combat situation demands. There should be no gaps anywhere and it all should sound as if it was part of the background music you heard when you first entered the site.

I'm not sure how feasible this would be to do though.

If i remember correctly, something like was proposed earlier. I wasnt too keen to it then and my opinion hasnt chanced. IMO this kind of system fits better in first person shooters. What I liked about xcom1 was its music (with the rest of the game of course :) ) and it really didnt varied alot in battlescape, but it fitted to the mood perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, Im new here so hi all. :D
Ive got to look about, havent even seen a screen shot yet though
(please not fixed 3d or polys, without destructable environments its not really XCOM) IMO.
XCom remake sounds pretty sweet, ONLY if done right though.
Raven Squad, I like your way. The forst XCOM ( and TFD)
had tense, minimalistic and creepy background ambiance, It awas perfect.
Just an idea, the older school midi music seemed to me to have more of a techy weird creepy vibe to it (know what I mean?)
For an idea listen to the roaming (mostly plays in wilderness areas) music in the Temple of Elemental Evil. Thats the sort of stuff im thinking of.

Anyway, well met and good luck, ill be following along.

• 5 months later...
[quote name='fidel_' date='Jan 16 2004, 12:45 PM']I can live with that, as long as we have that interceptor combat music. :D
[right][post="59716"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

So true, it was pure bliss to have this music coming up!
Adds so much to the mood.
:laser:

This sort of music system was described somewhere on the old version of [url="http://www.omf.com/"]the One Must Fall: Battlegrounds website[/url], and would work really well, if the music and coding department were up to the challenge of having seamless music. (they used a really great metaphor to describe how it works- folding paintings :D) Basically it is like doing the modern equivilent of a midi file, with all the various intruments... and then coding/recording transitions to the next type of music.

This would of course be a HUGELY ambitious project and the first of its kind attempted in an open-source environment... so I'm thinking V4+ here ;D

• 2 months later...