XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - XC 1 Gryphon

There are so many problems with the gaseous form of Hydrogen, why are we still focusing on it? :huh:

We're just working on that possibility

The liquid state has very few problems except for where it requires energy to keep it in that state. What about using the laser cooling method I mentioned in a previous post? It may require power, but that could be solved by using the hydrogen itself in an on board fuel cell to keep the hydrogen as a liquid. :wink1:

Yep the fuel will be used faster but it'll work well that way, so power-wise it'll be as good as a conventional aircraft and more or less it'll achieve similar ranges

I also think we should focus on the hydrogen(l) solution

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To my understanding, the nanotube/MOF system of storing hydrogen is a method of increasing the density and stability of the stored hydrogen while Zombie's idea of laser cooling system does kind of exist, it's not really appropriate for a couple of reasons. First of all, it's an active containment system. Which means that there are more possible causes of malfunctions than passive containment (Nanotubes and MOF). This also means that it consumes energy that could be used to keep the craft aloft, meaning the inefficiency of of the design goes up. As it is, the margin is slim enough as it is because I presume that mid-air refueling of hydrogen will be far too complex to safely doing.

The second problem is that from what I recall of the laser cooling system, it's only usable under lab conditions and only capable of chilling minute amounts of atoms at a time because the laser has to hit the atom in the first place. You could overcome this by placing an entire bank of lasers into the system, but then at that point power consumption becomes a problem. Also, where is the heat from all that laser components going to go? Plus, you might still have difficulties getting an even chill because only the top layers will be affected by the laser.

Also, from what I read about laser cooling in wiki, it states that this cooling system seems to work only on specific types of atoms/molecules. Hydrogen was not listed as one of the few atoms/molecules that could be cooled this way.

And actually, base on the calculations I did about total energy carried plus the fact that the hydrogen PDEs will both be lighter and more compact than the jet fuel engines(My guestimate is about a third to half of the size since you need the volume of air passing through, but you can excite more with smaller/shorter ignition systems), the XC-1 will have the necessary range and speed with the hydrogen system.

However, IMHO, we will still need to rewrite the CT to make this clearer, because the values given are not consistent with the problem vs the solution. For example, it said that the problem of liquid hydrogen was that it took up four times as much space as a equivalent fuel load. The solution? A metal hydride sponge that soaked up to 70% of its weight in hydrogen. However, there is no mention at all whether the sponge will reduce the space taken up. If I pretend that it enables 1 kg of hydrogen to take up only as much space as 1 kg of jet fuel, then it makes sense. It was only when I tried working out the values with this assumption that the started to seem like the fuel storage system could work. That, and the reduced size/weight of the engine.

Ok, I was only suggesting an idea or a theory to fit our needs. ;)

If you think we need more storage volume, I see a solution. Since weapons are mounted on the outside of the interceptor, the interior is basically unused empty space (except for the engines, but I don't know what the current model looks like). We can simply use that space for extra hydrogen storage and containment. As for the Skyrangers equivalent, we only need 50% more storage capacity. It would stand to reason that since the fuselage is wider in a transport craft, that there is more room for fuel containers either in the wings or underneath the aircraft itself. B)

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...

I've given the XC-1 Gryphon CT an complete overhaul(Albeit a Frankenstein overhaul since little remains of the original :hideit:) I think it fixes the hydrogen fuel problem decently realistically, and (IMHO) reads better. However, if you guys would prefer to stick to the original, I'm pretty sure we can just transplant the part about the hydrogen fuel and PDE and it should work fine.

XC-1 Gryphon

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Craft/Interceptors/Gryphon

The XC-1 Gryphon began development as the YF-23 as part of the Advanced Tactical Fighter(ATF) project. Ostentatiously a competition for the next generation of air-superiority fighter, the ATF project was the cover of the US Air Force's development of a stealth jet fighter that would be capable of interdicting the increasingly hostile actions of UFOs. Having "lost" the contract to the YF-22, the YF-23 was secretly transferred to Area 51 and re-designated s the XC-1 Gryphon. USAF engineers upgraded the XC-1 with Carbon Nanotube Reinforced(CNR) Composite, hydrogen powered Pulse Detonation Engines(PDE), advanced Electroactive Polymer(EAP) actuators, and the experimental Alphawave Mental Control(AMC) system. As a result, the XC-1 Gryphon out performs all other fighter jets in terms of stealth, range, speed and maneuverability and is the best Fighter/Interceptor mankind can field.

The use of CNR Composite not only reduces the radar signature of the XC-1 that of a raindrop, it is also specially formulated to absorb and disperse Lidar, providing the Gryphon with the first passive stealth protection capable of defeating multiple detection systems. Also, the use of CNR Composites provides the XC-1 Gryphon with unprecedented structural strength, increasing the amount of stress and damage the airframe can endure. The CNR Composites also prove to be much lighter than the carbon fiber composite originally used by the YF-23.

The PDE used by the Gryphon is capable of producing 30% more thrust than the original engines despite being half the size and weight. Also, the Gryphon is the first aircraft to use liquid hydrogen as fuel. The use of hydrogen as jet fuel has been handicapped by the fact that although a kilogram of liquid hydrogen has three times as much energy as a kilogram of conventional kerosene fuel, liquid hydrogen would take up four times as much space. However, the researchers at Area-51 have come up with Metal-Organic Framework(MOF) compound that can store up to 75% of it weight in liquid hydrogen and reduces the space required by 70%. The MOF compound acts as a "sponge", absorbing the liquid hydrogen and enabling it to be easily and safely stored at room temperature. The use of the MOF storage matrix as well as the weight and space freed up by the use of PDE and CNR Composites gives the Gryphon an operational range unmatched by any other jet fighters.

Another technological advancement introduced in the Gryphon is the use of Electroactive Polymer (EAP) Actuators in an aircraft. EAPs are carbon based compounds that contract and expand when voltage is applied. The main hurdle to the use of EAP is that most EAP compounds require too high a voltage to stimulate the smallest movement, and even then, the strength of the EAP actuators is too low for the electrical energy expended. However, a black box project yielded an EAP compound that reduced the voltage required and was yet strong enough to be used. The use of wires and EAP actuators to replace hydraulic control systems means that the Gryphon is much more responsive. This added responsiveness, combined with increased maneuverability due to thrust vectoring systems, gives the XC-1 an agility unmatched by any other conventional fighter.

The Alphawave Mental Control system is a revolutionary approach to controlling an aircraft. Through the use of advanced Magnetoencephalography(MEG) technology, the helmet of the XC-1 picks up the though patterns of the pilot and reacts to them. The advantage of the AMC is that the man-machine interface is simplified, and the response time of the XC-1 is 2/10 of a second faster than conventional fly-by-wire controls. Also, in the event that the XC-1 encounters UFOs that cannot be detected by the onboard sensors, the XC-1 can still target the UFO as long as the pilot is capable of seeing and focusing on it. Nevertheless, conventional controls remain in the cockpit as they provide tactile feedback to the pilot as well as act as a fallback control system in the event of a malfunction. The XC-1 Gryphon also carries the most complete and advanced suite of sensors onboard. Equipped with advanced phase variance rotating Doppler scanner, IR imaging radar systems and Lidar, the XC-1 possesses unprecedented detection, identification and targeting capabilities. The XC-1 Gryphon can track. identify and engage a target with the radar return of a car at ranges beyond 120 kilometers.

A truly impressive leap in military aircraft technology, the XC-1 represents the current pinnacle of aircraft design, and it will be essential in the battle to defend Earth from the Alien menace.

"That A-wave interface takes a little getting used to, but after a couple flights you pretty much forget the stick is even there."

- John "Bughunter" McMichaels

Edited by tzuchan

A very nice CT - very good work tzuchan!

changes like deletions of spaces in words are in bold, all "big" changes and additions in blue, suggested removals as strikeouts.

XC-1 Gryphon

The XC-1 Gryphon began development as the YF-23 as part of the Advanced Tactical Fighter(ATF) project. Ostentatiously a competition for the next generation of air-superiority fighter, the ATF project was the cover of the US Air Force's development of a stealth jet fighter that would be capable of interdicting the increasingly hostile actions of UFOs. Having "lost" the contract to the YF-22, the YF-23 was secretly transferred to Area 51 and re-designated as the XC-1 Gryphon. USAF engineers upgraded the XC-1 with Carbon Nanotube Reinforced (CNR) Composite, hydrogen powered Pulse Detonation Engines (PDE), advanced Electroactive Polymer (EAP) actuators, and the experimental Alphawave Mental Control (AMC) system. As a result, the XC-1 Gryphon outperforms all other fighter jets in terms of stealth, range, speed and maneuverability. and It is the best Fighter/Interceptor mankind can field.

The use of CNR Composite not only reduces the radar signature of the XC-1 to that of a raindrop, it is also specially formulated to absorb and disperse Lidar OMG how? Wouldn't that mean it would be practically invisible or at least blurry to the naked eye? Or do I get something wrong?, providing the Gryphon with the first passive stealth protection capable of defeating multiple detection systems. Also, the use of CNR Composites provides the XC-1 Gryphon with unprecedented structural strength, increasing the amount of stress and damage the airframe can endure. The CNR Composites also prove to be much lighter than the carbon fiber composite originally used by the YF-23.

The PDE used by the Gryphon is capable of producing 30% more thrust than the original engines despite being half the size and weight. Also, the Gryphon is the first aircraft to use liquid hydrogen as fuel. The use of hydrogen as jet fuel has been handicapped by the fact that, although a kilogram of liquid hydrogen has three times as much energy as a kilogram of conventional kerosene fuel, liquid hydrogen would take up four times as much space. However, the researchers at Area-51 have come up with a? Metal-Organic Framework (MOF) compound that can store up to 75% of its weight in liquid hydrogen and reduces the space required by 70%. The MOF compound acts as a "sponge", absorbing the liquid hydrogen and enabling it to be easily and safely stored at room temperature. The use of the MOF storage matrix as well as the weight and space freed up by the use of PDE and CNR you'll have to explain whether this space is used by the MOF or not Composites gives the Gryphon an operational range unmatched by any other jet fighters.

Another technological advancement introduced in the Gryphon is the use of Electroactive Polymer (EAP) Actuators in an aircraft. EAPs are carbon based compounds that contract and expand when voltage is applied. The main hurdle to the use of EAP is that most EAP compounds require too high a voltage to stimulate the smallest movement, and even then, the strength of the EAP actuators is too low for the electrical energy expended. However, a black box project AFAIK it's just black project, not blacjk box p. yielded an EAP compound that reduced the voltage required and was yet strong enough to be used as actuator in interceptor class aircaraft? fighter crafts? military jets?. The use of wires and EAP actuators to replace hydraulic control systems means that the Gryphon is much more responsive. This added responsiveness, combined with increased maneuverability due to thrust vectoring systems, gives the XC-1 an agility unmatched by any other conventional fighter.

The Alphawave Mental Control system is a revolutionary approach to controlling an aircraft. Through the use of advanced Magnetoencephalography (MEG) that sounds big and heavy... ;) No, seriously, wouldn't one need magnets with at least 1 tesla, better 2T for a good enough resolution? Those things are quite bulky. Why not use an EEG or EEG imlant? technology, the helmet of the XC-1 picks up the thought patterns of the pilot and reacts to them. Maybe you should state that this can not be a real mental control (otherwise PSI technology would be a small achievement for X-Corps), but the pilot has to be trained to use this system like people with bionic arms. The advantage of the AMC is that the man-machine interface is simplified, and the response time of the XC-1 is 2/10 of a second faster than conventional fly-by-wire controls. Also, in the event that the XC-1 encounters UFOs that cannot be detected by the onboard sensors, the XC-1 can still target the UFO as long as the pilot is capable of seeing and focusing on it. Nevertheless, conventional controls remain in the cockpit as they provide tactile feedback to the pilot as well as act as a fallback control system in the event of a malfunction. The XC-1 Gryphon also carries the most complete and advanced suite of sensors onboard. Equipped with advanced phase variance rotating Doppler scanner, IR imaging radar systems and Lidar, the XC-1 possesses unprecedented detection, identification and targeting capabilities. The XC-1 Gryphon can track., identify and engage a target with the radar return of a car at ranges beyond 120 kilometers.

A truly impressive leap in military aircraft technology, the XC-1 represents the current pinnacle of aircraft design, and it will be essential in the battle to defend Earth from the Alien menace.

"That A-wave interface takes a little getting used to, but after a couple flights you pretty much forget the stick is even there."

The XC-1 Gryphon began development as the YF-23 as part of the Advanced Tactical Fighter(ATF) project.

Hmm... I agree that the double "as" doesn't flow well... What about "The XC-1 Gryphon began development as the YF-23, part of the Advanced Tactical Fighter(ATF) project."

*Snip Mad's Comments*

Re: Lidar Stealth.

The way I see it, Lidar stealth works on the same principle as Radar stealth. Where Radar stealth works by reducing the Radar signature via absorbing and reflecting radio emissions away from the Radar detector, Lidar stealth would have to diffuse the laser beam. The way I see it, we can reduce the laser return by refracting the laser beam away from the Lidar detector. I believe that if we have a coating of translucent material, For example, "cloudy" glass, the individual photons will be reflected in random directions, reducing the laser signature if not eliminating it completely.

Re: Black Box.

I was under the impression that military top secret research projects were commonly referred to as "Black Box projects"...

Re: MEG, Alphawave and Psi.

MEG seemed like a better choice if only because you don't need to cut open the pilot's brain... That and it's more sensitive and as I understand it, gets a clearer picture of what's going on in the pilot's head. Something I thought about but didn't put into the text was how the system actually works. What actually happens is that before a pilot is qualified to use the Alphwave system, an engram of the pilot's brain patterns is recorded, both outside and inside of an aircraft. The engram is then stored onto a "key" that the pilot has to load into the plane's computer before flying. The computer then processes the signals it's receiving from the helmet with the engram and then computes what the pilot's intentions are. This has nothing to do with psi in any case since psi in Xenocide's case particularly, involves affecting the mind of a target from a distance. Where as in this case, it's reading the mind of the operator.

Re: Lidar Stealth.

The way I see it, Lidar stealth works on the same principle as Radar stealth. Where Radar stealth works by reducing the Radar signature via absorbing and reflecting radio emissions away from the Radar detector, Lidar stealth would have to diffuse the laser beam. The way I see it, we can reduce the laser return by refracting the laser beam away from the Lidar detector. I believe that if we have a coating of translucent material, For example, "cloudy" glass, the individual photons will be reflected in random directions, reducing the laser signature if not eliminating it completely.

Not sure if this would work, but sounds like it could work.

Re: Black Box.

I was under the impression that military top secret research projects were commonly referred to as "Black Box projects"...

nope. its just "black project"

Re: MEG, Alphawave and Psi.

MEG seemed like a better choice if only because you don't need to cut open the pilot's brain... That and it's more sensitive and as I understand it, gets a clearer picture of what's going on in the pilot's head. Something I thought about but didn't put into the text was how the system actually works. What actually happens is that before a pilot is qualified to use the Alphwave system, an engram of the pilot's brain patterns is recorded, both outside and inside of an aircraft. The engram is then stored onto a "key" that the pilot has to load into the plane's computer before flying. The computer then processes the signals it's receiving from the helmet with the engram and then computes what the pilot's intentions are. This has nothing to do with psi in any case since psi in Xenocide's case particularly, involves affecting the mind of a target from a distance. Where as in this case, it's reading the mind of the operator.

But for this you would need a contrast agent. Brain scans showing the active areas of the brain really just show the enhanced blood circulation of these parts which are in use at the moment of the scan. That can only be done using a magnetic contrast agent which needs to be injected into the arteria carotis during the scan. So I guess, implanting the pilot with brain electrodes (you just place them on the brain, not in it; it's not as dangerous/difficult as it sounds) or putting them on the helmet (which could make things a bit complicated since before putting on the helmet the electrodes would need to be "glued" to the head with a conductant) would be the more feasable action.

And I guess your system would work, but I would be careful about the expression "reading the operators mind", since the computer can't know what the pilot thinks, it just reacts to certain brainwave patterns in certain regions of the brain. If something else made the same brainwave patterns, the system would anyway e.g. set thrusters to 100% or lower the landing gear.

• 3 months later...

Lidar jamming

Unlike radar, lidar is just light, and hence jamming is easier and (quasi) legal, or at

least it is impossible to prove that was your intention.

Car and Driver magazine (April 94) had a good article on this which concluded that a

pair of high power spotlights can reduce the range the radar gun can pick you up by

half, and may make that lidar detector vaguely useful as it gives you a couple of seconds

more warning.

Robert Weverka, who looks after the Lidar FAQ, and an article by Craig Peterson

(Autotronics, March 95, p36) shows that this cannot work. This doesn't explain why C&D

got their positive reults. In any case, driving lights are always a good thing to have,

so it cannot do any harm

Robert also has a test of a Lidar jammer on his web site (see the end of this FAQ for the URL)

Lidar stealth

Lidar works on reflection off the target by light, so the best means for stealth with

Lidar is to have a low profile, filthy matt black car without a numberplate or chrome trim.

Whether you would want to be driving a car like that anyway...

There have been covers to go over number plates to reduce the reflection. I have seen no

tests on these at present.

• 2 weeks later...
Lidar stealth

Lidar works on reflection off the target by light, so the best means for stealth with

Lidar is to have a low profile, filthy matt black car without a numberplate or chrome trim.

Whether you would want to be driving a car like that anyway...

There have been covers to go over number plates to reduce the reflection. I have seen no

tests on these at present.

Don't know if you watch much TV, but there is a show on the Discovery Channel called "The Mythbusters". They did many tests on vehicles (using I believe what was Radar) and nothing had the effect of concealing the car. If anything, most of the ideas actually made the vehicle appear sooner on the radar gun. Certainly not a good thing in my book. :)

- Zombie

I know mythbusters, although I've watched TV for less than 10 hours during the last 2 years :D

I didn't know about that episode, hmmm

So, what should we think about? A thin layer of "beam/radiation-absorbing" gel/material? :P

Ignore it? I mean, does the Gryphon really require Lidar/Radar blocking? Targeting yes, but blocking... Who says the aliens are using Radar or Lidar for tracking anyways? You would think their bright minds could come up with some sort of new system other than laser tracking, no? ^_^

How about something along the lines that "this is the first craft built with the latest in stealth technology but it is unknown whether it offers any real improvement when dogfighting UFOs with superior alien engineering". ;)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie
Reworded

Ignore it? I mean, does the Gryphon really require Lidar/Radar blocking? Targeting yes, but blocking... Who says the aliens are using Radar or Lidar for tracking anyways? You would think their bright minds could come up with some sort of new system other than laser tracking, no? ^_^

How about something along the lines that "this is the first craft built with the latest in stealth technology but it is unknown whether it offers any real improvement when dogfighting UFOs with superior alien engineering". ;)

- Zombie

Yes, I think that would be a good idea - I mean, gameplay-wise it is not like the Gryphon would be more or less often hit than other x-corps craft. Ok, they might all have alow lidar/radar profile, granted, and that might be the reason why X-COM(!) was superior to the efforts of other contries. But then again, we don't have that background for Xenocide, so....

Edited by Mad

• 2 months later...
Actually theresapaim wanted to come up with something nice for this, but I haven't heard from him in a while now. So if there is nothing new in the next few days, I'll take this myself.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I'll give this a try. Quite some statements have been removed or reworded, since I felt it to be necessary for plausibility.

XC-1 Gryphon

The XC-1 Gryphon began development designated "YF-23" as part of the Advanced Tactical Fighter (ATF) project, a competition for the development of a next generation of air-superiority fighter, capable of surpassing all known competition. With the first plans to create x-Corps, the almost complete prototype was secretly transferred to Area 51 and re-designated "XC-1 Gryphon". USAF engineers upgraded the XC-1 with a Carbon Nanotube Reinforced (CNR) Composite structure and hull, hydrogen powered Pulse Detonation Engines (PDE), advanced Electroactive Polymer (EAP) actuators, and the experimental Alphawave Mental Control (AMC) system. As a result, the XC-1 Gryphon outperforms all other fighter jets in terms of stealth, range, speed and maneuverability.

The use of CNR Composite not only significantly reduces the radar signature of the XC-1, but also provides unprecedented structural strength, increasing the amount of stress and damage the airframe can endure. The CNR Composites also prove to be much lighter than the carbon fiber composite originally used by the YF-23. The PDE used by the Gryphon is capable of producing 30% more thrust than the original engines despite being half the size and weight. Until now the use of hydrogen as jet fuel has not only been handicapped by its extreme combustibility but even more by the fact that, although a kilogram of liquid hydrogen has three times as much energy as a kilogram of conventional kerosene fuel, liquid hydrogen would take up four times as much space. However, researchers at Area-51 have come up with a Metal-Organic Framework (MOF) compound that can store up to 75% of its weight in liquid hydrogen and reduces the space required by 70%. The MOF compound acts as a "sponge", absorbing the liquid hydrogen and enabling it to be easily and safely stored at room temperature. The use of the MOF storage matrix as well as the weight freed up by the use of the PDE and CNR Composites gives the Gryphon an operational range unmatched by any other jet fighters.

Another technological advancement introduced in the Gryphon is the use of Electroactive Polymer (EAP) Actuators in an aircraft. EAPs are carbon based compounds that contract and expand when voltage is applied. The main hurdle to the use of EAP is that most EAP compounds require too high a voltage to stimulate the smallest movement, and even then, the strength of the EAP actuators is too low for the electrical energy expended. However, military research yielded an EAP compound that reduced the voltage required and was yet strong enough to be used as actuator in interceptor class aircaraft. The use of wires and EAP actuators to replace hydraulic control systems not only lead to further weight loss, but also to an increased responsiveness. This, combined with increased maneuverability due to thrust vectoring systems, gives the XC-1 an agility unmatched by any other conventional fighter.

The Alphawave Mental Control system is a revolutionary approach to controlling an aircraft. An EEG implant, placed on the pilot's meninges picks up the patterns of electric brain activity, allowing the trained pilot to effectively control the aircraft with his "thoughts". Although the first reception by the pilots was not too eager, the greatly simplified man-machine interface and its significantly enhanced responsiveness in comparison to conventional fly-by-wire controls soon won a majority over. In the event that the XC-1 encounters UFOs that cannot be detected by the onboard sensors, the XC-1 can still target the UFO as long as the pilot is capable of seeing and focusing on it. Nevertheless, conventional controls remain in the cockpit as they provide tactile feedback to the pilot as well as act as a fallback control system in the event of a malfunction.

Equipped with advanced phase variance rotating Doppler scanner, IR imaging radar systems and Lidar, the XC-1 possesses unprecedented detection, identification and targeting capabilities. The XC-1 Gryphon can track, identify and engage a target with the radar return of a car at ranges beyond 120 kilometers.

Tried to cut down on words used too close together and also minor spelling/consistency changes. Strikethroughs for deletions, green text for additions and purple text for suggestions:

The XC-1 Gryphon began development designated "YF-23" as part of the Advanced Tactical Fighter (ATF) project, a competition for the development of a next generation of air-superiority fighter, capable of surpassing all known competition rivals?. With the first plans to create x-Corps, the almost complete prototype was secretly transferred to Area 51 and re-designated "XC-1 Gryphon". USAF engineers upgraded the XC-1 with a Carbon Nanotube Reinforced (CNR) Composite structure and hull, hydrogen powered Pulse Detonation Engines (PDE), advanced ElectroActive Polymer (EAP) actuators, and the experimental Alphawave Mental Control (AMC) system. As a result, the XC-1 Gryphon outperforms all other fighter jets in terms of stealth, range, speed and maneuverability.

The use of CNR Composite not only significantly reduces the radar signature of the XC-1, but also provides unprecedented structural strength, increasing the amount of stress and damage the airframe can endure. The CNR Composites also prove to be much lighter than the carbon fiber composite originally used by the YF-23. The PDE used by the Gryphon is capable of producing 30% more thrust than the original engines despite being half the size and weight. Until now the use of hydrogen as jet fuel has not only been handicapped by its extreme combustibility but even more by the fact that, although a kilogram of liquid hydrogen has three times as much energy as a kilogram of conventional kerosene fuel, liquid hydrogen would take up four times as much space. However, researchers at Area 51 have come up with a Metal-Organic Framework (MOF) compound that can store up to 75% of its weight in liquid hydrogen and reduces the space required by 70%. The MOF compound acts as a "sponge", absorbing the liquid hydrogen and enabling it to be easily and safely stored at room temperature. The use of the MOF storage matrix as well as the weight freed up by the use of the PDE and CNR Composites gives the Gryphon an operational range unmatched by any other jet fighters.

Another technological advancement introduced in the Gryphon is the use of ElectroActive Polymer (EAP) actuators in an aircraft. EAPs are carbon based compounds that contract and expand when voltage is applied. The main hurdle to the use of EAP is that most EAP compounds of these composites require too high a voltage to stimulate the smallest movement, and even then, the strength of the EAP actuators is too low for the electrical energy expended. However, military research yielded an EAP compound that reduced the voltage required and was yet strong enough to be used as actuator in interceptor class aircraft. The use of wires and EAP actuators to replace hydraulic control systems not only lead to further weight loss, but also to an increased in responsiveness. This, combined with increased improved maneuverability due to thrust vectoring systems, gives the XC-1 an agility unmatched by any other conventional fighter.

The Alphawave Mental Control system is a revolutionary approach to controlling an aircraft. An EEG implant, placed on the pilot's meninges picks up the patterns of electric brain activity, allowing the trained pilot to effectively control the aircraft with his "thoughts". Although the first reception by the pilots was not too eager, the greatly simplified man-machine interface and its significantly enhanced responsiveness in comparison to conventional fly-by-wire controls soon won a majority over. In the event that the XC-1 encounters UFOs that cannot be detected by the onboard sensors, the XC-1 can still target the UFO as long as the pilot is capable of seeing and focusing on it. Nevertheless, conventional controls remain in the cockpit as they provide tactile feedback to the pilot as well as act as a fallback control system in the event of a malfunction.

Equipped with advanced phase variance rotating Doppler scanner, IR imaging radar systems and Lidar, the XC-1 possesses unprecedented detection, identification and targeting capabilities. The XC-1 Gryphon can track, identify and engage a target with the radar return of a car at ranges beyond 120 kilometers.

If we are using an acronym for words, it should match. For example, "Electroactive Polymer" should be abbreviated EP, not EAP. "ElectroActive Polymer" on the other hand, can be abbreviated as EAP, hence my change in the first paragraph. Also, once you define an acronym it is not necessary to redefine it again later on (unless it shows up a couple pages later). I should also mention that "USAF engineers" would probably not be the people doing the upgrades to an aircraft, a military contractor like Lockheed or Boeing would. :)

BTW, I really like the last paragraph, Mad. Nice! :D

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

Nice, I like what you've done with it. Thanks for the flowers concerning the last paragraph :)

You're right with the USAF engineers, it struck me at first, but then I thought, "hey, if it is so top secret would they let Lockheed have a look at this?" But anyway, I guess you are right.

Most changes accepted - I didn't outline them. Blue for stuff suggested by zombie, but worded different by me, and for new stuff.

The XC-1 Gryphon began development designated "YF-23" as part of the Advanced Tactical Fighter (ATF) project, a competition for the development of a next generation of air-superiority fighter, capable of surpassing all known opponents. With the first plans to create X-Corps, the almost complete prototype was secretly transferred to Area 51 and re-designated "XC-1 Gryphon". Engineers contracted from Lockheed worked under USAF supervision to upgrade the XC-1 with a Carbon Nanotube Reinforced (CNR) Composite structure and hull, hydrogen powered Pulse Detonation Engines (PDE), advanced ElectroActive Polymer (EAP) actuators, and the experimental Alphawave Mental Control (AMC) system. As a result, the XC-1 Gryphon outperforms all other fighter jets in terms of stealth, range, speed and maneuverability.

The use of CNR Composite not only significantly reduces the radar signature of the XC-1, but also provides unprecedented structural strength, increasing the amount of stress and damage the airframe can endure. The CNR Composites also prove to be much lighter than the carbon fiber composite originally used by the YF-23. The PDE used by the Gryphon is capable of producing 30% more thrust than the original engines despite being half the size and weight. Until now the use of hydrogen as jet fuel has not only been handicapped by its extreme combustibility but even more by the fact that, although a kilogram of liquid hydrogen has three times as much energy as a kilogram of conventional kerosene fuel, liquid hydrogen would take up four times as much space. However, researchers at Area 51 have come up with a Metal-Organic Framework (MOF) compound that can store up to 75% of its weight in liquid hydrogen and reduces the space required by 70%. The MOF compound acts as a "sponge", absorbing the liquid hydrogen and enabling it to be easily and safely stored at room temperature. The use of the MOF storage matrix as well as the weight freed up by the use of the PDE and CNR Composites gives the Gryphon an operational range unmatched by any other jet fighters.

Another technological advancement introduced in the Gryphon is the use of ElectroActive Polymer actuators in an aircraft. EAPs are carbon based compounds that contract and expand when voltage is applied. The main hurdle to the use of EAP is that most of these composites require too high a voltage to stimulate the smallest movement, and even then, the strength of the actuators is too low for the electrical energy expended. However, military research yielded an EAP compound that reduced the voltage required and was yet strong enough to be used as actuator in interceptor class aircraft. The use of wires and EAP actuators to replace hydraulic control systems not only lead to further weight loss, but also an increase in responsiveness. This, combined with improved maneuverability due to thrust vectoring systems, gives the XC-1 an agility unmatched by any other conventional fighter.

• 4 months later...

Ah. You've worked on my piece. I like it actually. Streamlined. Logical. Current. And yet still imaginatively in the future.

I'm just gonna be a little nit-picky. Paragraph 2 seems a little run on. You might want to just separate that into two paragraphs. One can focus on the PDE. The second on the aircraft's structure, which from what I read also serves as the storage system for the hydrogen.

Also, I'm aware that metal hydrides have been developed that can absorb hydrogen. I'm not sure if hydrogen can feasibly be stored as liquid. But in any case, what I've understood from my research on the storage of hydrogen is that these metal hydrides absorb molecules of hydrogen. So it really becomes moot point to say liquid hydrogen or gaseous hydrogen. It simply absorbs hydrogen. I'm just thinking about the visual effect that the article has on me. I'm kinda imagining a spongy material inside the plane which doesn't seem to hit techish to me.

What do you think? :)

[...]

Also, I'm aware that metal hydrides have been developed that can absorb hydrogen. I'm not sure if hydrogen can feasibly be stored as liquid. But in any case, what I've understood from my research on the storage of hydrogen is that these metal hydrides absorb molecules of hydrogen. So it really becomes moot point to say liquid hydrogen or gaseous hydrogen. It simply absorbs hydrogen. I'm just thinking about the visual effect that the article has on me. I'm kinda imagining a spongy material inside the plane which doesn't seem to hit techish to me.

Well, we worked with the metal hydride idea a while, but it seems metal hydrides can't "let go" of the hydrogen fast enough. They only seem to work well if the hydrogen is used relatively slow, like in a fuel cell. So this is why the "sponge" idea came up. And I think, sometimes it's the simple things that are the biggest breakthroughs, so why not have a simple, non techie idea revolutionize the aircraft industry? :)

Agreed on the rest, will post a new draft asap.

[...]

Well, we worked with the metal hydride idea a while, but it seems metal hydrides can't "let go" of the hydrogen fast enough. They only seem to work well if the hydrogen is used relatively slow, like in a fuel cell. So this is why the "sponge" idea came up. And I think, sometimes it's the simple things that are the biggest breakthroughs, so why not have a simple, non techie idea revolutionize the aircraft industry? :)

Agreed on the rest, will post a new draft asap.

Well I won't bang my point in too hard. I just feel that the literal 'sponge' is a little off. Just my opinion. Anyway, if you're sold on that idea, then leave it as is.

Ah. Thanks for the info.

Based on the readings you gave me, MOFs absorb hydrogen on the molecular level. So I don't think it's important to state that the the hydrogen needs to be in liquid state. I think that's why the image of an organic sponge comes to me.

Don't get me wrong. I like the overall idea. I just feel the MOF portion of the article can be stated 'sexier', if you get what I'm saying.

Edited by warhamster

The XC-1 Gryphon began development designated "YF-23" as part of the Advanced Tactical Fighter (ATF) project, a competition for the development of a next generation of air-superiority fighter, capable of surpassing all known opponents. With the first plans to create X-Corps, the almost complete prototype was secretly transferred to Area 51 and re-designated "XC-1 Gryphon". Engineers contracted from Lockheed worked under USAF supervision to upgrade the XC-1 with a Carbon Nanotube Reinforced (CNR) Composite structure and hull, hydrogen powered Pulse Detonation Engines (PDE), advanced ElectroActive Polymer (EAP) actuators, and the experimental Alphawave Mental Control (AMC) system. As a result, the XC-1 Gryphon outperforms all other fighter jets in terms of stealth, range, speed and maneuverability.

The use of CNR Composite not only significantly reduces the radar signature of the XC-1, but also provides unprecedented structural strength, increasing the amount of stress and damage the airframe can endure. The CNR Composites also prove to be much lighter than the carbon fiber composite originally used by the YF-23. The PDE used by the Gryphon is capable of producing 30% more thrust than the original engines despite being half the size and weight.

Until now the use of hydrogen as jet fuel has not only been handicapped by its extreme combustibility but even more by the fact that, although a kilogram of liquid hydrogen has three times as much energy as a kilogram of conventional kerosene fuel, liquid hydrogen would take up four times as much space. However, researchers at Area 51 have come up with a Metal-Organic Framework (MOF) compound that can store up to 75% of its weight in liquid hydrogen and reduces the space required by 70%. The MOF compound acts as a "sponge", absorbing the hydrogen and enabling it to be easily and safely stored at room temperature. At the same time the MOFs structure allows the output of large volumes of Hydrogen at a time. The use of the MOF storage matrix as well as the weight freed up by the use of the PDE and CNR Composites gives the Gryphon an operational range unmatched by any other jet fighters.

Another technological advancement introduced in the Gryphon is the use of ElectroActive Polymer actuators in an aircraft. EAPs are carbon based compounds that contract and expand when voltage is applied. The main hurdle to the use of EAP is that most of these composites require too high a voltage to stimulate the smallest movement, and even then, the strength of the actuators is too low for the electrical energy expended. However, military research yielded an EAP compound that reduced the voltage required and was yet strong enough to be used as actuator in interceptor class aircraft. The use of wires and EAP actuators to replace hydraulic control systems not only leads to further weight loss, but also an increase in responsiveness. This, combined with improved maneuverability due to thrust vectoring systems, gives the XC-1 an agility unmatched by any other conventional fighter.

It is a slightly modified version, dealing with MOF. Still it is probably not as sexy as you would like it to be warhamster, but I am fresh out of ideas as to how to make this more appealing.

The use of CNR Composite not only significantly reduces the radar signature of the XC-1, but also provides unprecedented structural strength, increasing the amount of stress and damage the airframe can endure. The CNR Composites also prove to be much lighter than the carbon fiber composite originally used by the YF-23. The PDE used by the Gryphon is capable of producing 30% more thrust than the original engines despite being half the size and weight.

Until now the use of hydrogen as jet fuel has not only been handicapped by its extreme combustibility but even more by the fact that, although a kilogram of liquid hydrogen has three times as much energy as a kilogram of conventional kerosene fuel, liquid hydrogen would take up four times as much space. However, researchers at Area 51 have come up with a Metal-Organic Framework (MOF) compound that can store up to 75% of its weight in liquid hydrogen and reduces the space required by 70%. The MOF compound acts as a "sponge", absorbing the hydrogen and enabling it to be easily and safely stored at room temperature. At the same time the MOFs structure allows the output of large volumes of Hydrogen at a time. The use of the MOF storage matrix as well as the weight freed up by the use of the PDE and CNR Composites gives the Gryphon an operational range unmatched by any other jet fighters.

Another technological advancement introduced in the Gryphon is the use of ElectroActive Polymer actuators in an aircraft. EAPs are carbon based compounds that contract and expand when voltage is applied. The main hurdle to the use of EAP is that most of these composites require too high a voltage to stimulate the smallest movement, and even then, the strength of the actuators is too low for the electrical energy expended. However, military research yielded an EAP compound that reduced the voltage required and was yet strong enough to be used as actuator in interceptor class aircraft. The use of wires and EAP actuators to replace hydraulic control systems not only leads to further weight loss, but also an increase in responsiveness. This, combined with improved maneuverability due to thrust vectoring systems, gives the XC-1 an agility unmatched by any other conventional fighter.

It is a slightly modified version, dealing with MOF. Still it is probably not as sexy as you would like it to be warhamster, but I am fresh out of ideas as to how to make this more appealing.

I'll try to come with an edit of that paragraph. I just got a little swamped with work right now.