XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Why Do People Hate Xcom4?

Alexander Seil

It's STILL UFO: Enemy Unknown. It has manufacturing, research, base construction, financing, vehicle/personnel management, etc. in forms remarkably similar to that of the original XCOM (although now corporations do the research and manufacturing for you). It's still the same damn game and it still has that great "just one more battle!" feeling. I don't see why the game got so much crap...especially since people trash it for the same problems that XCOM1 had ("repetitive" missions...hey, there are just FOUR types of missions in XCOM1 - three if you shoot down terror ships). Same goes for XCOM3 criticisms, btw. It was not the best of the series, but IMO it gave a suitable conclusion to it and was definitely an XCOM game above everything else. It has its flaws, but it's just a fun game to play and the strategic component makes up for the flaws of the Battlescape. I seriously hope that other XCOM players see the light and try it <_< .

My only objection are the somewhat chaotic battles...but you get used to them after a while. Unless there's a definite target (freighters, bombers), there's no point in micromanaging every pilot, so I just concentrate on one of the Alien ships and pound it, usually ordering everyone else to ignore it. The best part about the game is that it's such a wonderful conclusion to the series. I'm really not looking forward to any ressurection of X-Com, be it a fan project or an official title. I mean, what can they do after Interceptor without radically altering the concept? You've already fought on land, under the sea, in tight urban slums and in deep space - doing anything else would be a repeat if the concept is not altered, and if it is, the new concept would probably blow. For an example, look at the newest "UFO" - research, management and BUILDING INTERIORS (!!!) all gone. That game managed to do both though...it was a repeat with a ruined concept. Besides, I like that each XCOM game is a distinct game in its own right that is not superseded by any other (XCOM1 is every bit as feature-filled as XCOM3). Anyway, I think we need a comprehensive re-education program aimed at converting those who have not seen the light of XCOM4 ;). Edited by Alexander Seil

There have been loads of discussions on Gamasutra ( game dev pro forum) over the years about "how DO you do a sequel without either wrecking the original concept or it ending up the same but with different sound and graphics?" it's not all that easy, and you're always going to p1ss someone off.

I think I've got it! [url="http://www.xcomufo.com"]X-COM[/url] [url="http://www.gamershell.com/hellzone_Gamecube_Skies_of_Arcadia_Legends.shtml"]in[/url] [url="http://www.gamershell.com/hellzone_Dreamcast_Skies_of_Arcadia.shtml"]Arcadia[/url]. :D

[quote name='dipstick' date='Jan 25 2004, 10:54 AM']Hear, hear!!  Everyone, take heed of this advice.  Play it.  Play it now![/quote]
if you've got windows xp stay away from it! or you'll get very frustated trying to blow up invisible alien probes / pirate bases. (btw has any1 found a fix for this?)
otherwise wear it in good health :)

I think interceptor was great! it was the first xcom i played but i must say now ive played them all, Xcom3 is my fav. it seems Microprose now atari or whatever where trying (like X3) to speed up the gameplay in an attempt to get rid of repetetiveness.
Unfortunatly as we know from X3 (real time battle mode) attempting to do this ruins the quality, seems they didn't quite get the balance right. X4 is a great game on its own but compared X3 Rocks.
I think this shows we need more variety like X3, including land battles, dogfights, fps options?(maybe, maybe not) etc. to get rid of the repetativeness and not worry about the pace. I mean if its a good game people will play it even if it is slow as heck.
end of novel

• 4 months later...
X-com 1...........the perfect game in my opinion especially when u think that its so old!!!!!!!

X-com 2............a slight let down but still worth your cash

X-com 3.............riiiiiiight this sucks <10 mins later> .i spose i could get into it <30 mins later> ok so its ok............

X-com 4.............wheres the damn old fashion battle screens? this is naff........well its not but its just no tthe spirit of x-com .....i miss shootin them aliens X-com 4 is not as good as it should be

X-com (as i would make it) ........combine the interceptor action with the battle scape of 1-3 AND the old base managment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok rant over :D

the only thing i have ageanst X-com 4 is

1)my copy of it is in german (and i bought it in denmark! Ergh!) and therefore had a few problems understanding it.
2) i lost my cd i have the case and the manual, but the cd is gone AWOL.

hey, this topic is 5 months old!

• 1 month later...
A fix for invisible probes, pirate bases, and wingmen as well? If you don't have rules about using codes, sure. In my opinion, if the game can "cheat", so can you (at least when the game gets screwy.) At the CSD, press ALT + E. Then type your code. The relevant codes are:
First, press ALT + E and type "battlecheats". This makes all the codes you can use in battle work. During battle, hold ALT and press one of the following:
~ (destroy selected target :devillaugh: . This [b]does not[/b] work on the Doomsday Weapon)
2 (disable seceted target :D )
O (SUICIDE! :wub: )

[u]fillerup[/u] (no more of that "fleet #X is out of fuel. Returning home" right before you get to the alien base crack)
[u]canttouchthis[/u] (invincability)
[u]quickbase[/u] (instantly complete any bases under construction--not modules)
[u]knowitall[/u] (all research given)
[u]payday[/u] (get $1m)

BTW, Interceptor rocks, but gets repetative. What do you need to get Nova Bombs, anyway? I always research everything I can, then the Nova Bomb option shows up on the Research options somehow. This only happens 1/2 the time, tho. Edited by Tsereve