XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Unknown Alien

Somewhere on the third or fourth month I had to rescue a cruise ship from aliens and I bumped into a completely random creature. I'm not sure if it was a bug in the game but it looked like a giant tasoth except you could hardly see any body and mostly it's big head, taking up 4 tiles in size and carrying a huge sonic cannon just like on the alien ships. Well i've killed it but couldn't find it's corpse to research. I've also googled for all x-com tftd enemies and still had no luck.

Does anyone have any idea what is this thing?

Edited by NaughtiusMaximus

Is it a big orange creature with PWT cannons stuck to the side (of course, it fires sonic rounds) and looks like a big lizard head with legs? That's called a Triscene.

Where did you encounter it? The upper decks or the lower decks? If you encountered them on the upper decks, it is possible the game might've dumped the corpses. Most large units don't drop bodies that you can pick up. You'll later encounter them in land terror missions in Tasoth or Mixed crew missions, you might want to shok bomb them then.

- NKF

I am not sure how tough they are on other levels but on Superman they are IMMUNE to all normal weapon fire including the sonic cannon, but a sonic pulsar would do them nicely. I guess gas cannon high-explosive rounds would work too, maybe??

The GC/HE does pretty well against a superhuman Triscene, from recollection. Even a concentrated attack of Magna Blast grenades might work. Pulsers and thermal shok bombs are the most ideal means of attacking them.

- NKF

Have you noticed that there is no way to capture a 4 square alien? If stunned, only a corpse is recovered. But occasionally I would recover one alive. Not sure how. It's all very weird how big units behave. I just know that the top square is the "main square" of big units.

• 8 months later...

Hehe, for the first time ever I equipped all of my squad with just grenades and Heavy Thermic Lances on a cruise ship mission. Things went well until a Triscene started shooting. A couple of rookies were mowed down by it's reaction fire, and a mis-thrown grenade killed a couple more men so things were looking bleak. Luckily a couple guys were able to sneak around the corner drill the Triscene in the rear the next round. LOL

- Zombie

Kereminde: Not being able to capture large terror units may apply more to UFO than TFTD. In UFO you could capture live Reapers but not the Cyberdisc and Sectopod by stunning them. They might've widened this aspect for TFTD, since none of the terror units are completely robotic in nature.

Large terror units are however effectively dead for the rest of the mission when stunned (not counting glitches where only a part of the unit it stunned).

I remember back when the Triscene ... hang on I think I've already mentioned this one. Basically I got a surprise at how effective the Gas Cannon-HE wa against them.

- NKF

I guess that since the Bio-Drone has a brain, it can be considered semi-robotic in nature then. It does explode like the Cyberdisc though and shares a great many traits. :P

- Zombie