XCOMUFO & Xenocide

T'leth

Tsereve

Well, after (game) months of hard work, I finally managed to reach T'leth! I fully expected it to be similarly congruent to the rest of the game, as well as compared to UFO. However, I was in for a surprise...

First Level:

Expected, good challenge. Nothing wrong here.

Second Level:

Half my ammo disappeared, as expected, but then another quarter of it went missing, making me play at only half strength. Ok, heavy casualties, but I managed it.

Third Level:

Wait, there's a third level? Well well well, no more ammo...so basically, what I had was the third level of T'leth, and the final mission of the game, and all I had to work with were two Sonic Displacers (which of course couldn't go through the first door) and three scouts, each armed with a Sonic Pulser and a Heavy Thermic Lance. I had another 4 soldiers alive and healthy, but none of them had ammo for their weapons. Terrific. Anyway, fully-expecting to get slaughtered, I went ahead with the mission.

***SPOILERS FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T BEATEN THE GAME YET***

Most. Boring. Mission. Ever. I counted some 12 aliens in the entire map: some lobstermen, some aquatoids, and some miscellaneous terror units. And of those, the only weapons there were thermo shock launchers and DPL's. The aliens never fired their DPL's, their stun bombs were always about 60 degrees off-target, and the terror units just stood there--even when surrounded by X-Com soldiers. And of course, they were scattered too far throughout the monstrous-sized base to be any threat whatsoever.

***END OF SPOILERS***

So I beat T'leth. Using about 4 soldiers, three of which were armed with HTH weapons. I don't know about you, but to come so far and then win so easily just seems wrong...

For me, T'Leth's first and second level are the hardest parts of the entire mission. But then again, they aren't as large as your typical Artefact boiler room or Alien Colony interior mission, being only 2 levels high. What makes the first mission especially dangerous are the aquatoids with their DPLs. DPLs as far as the eye can see. Very monotonous, but effective.

The second level is just your typical maze-ish colony mission with tentaculats and lobstermen, and the odd aquatic Deep-One. Only time you'll see them appear underwater naturally too.

The last level is a bit of a laugh for a final level, and you only really need something strong enough to destroy the cryo-battery thingies, the rest of the aliens can be dealt with by any one of the three drills. It does have one very nasty surprise, if you hadn't noticed it. You lose the ability to save in the battlescape.

By the way, notice how T'Leth is completely devoid of sonic pulsers? It becomes very noticeable if you don't stock enough of them and expect to rearm yourself off the aliens. They don't have any. It makes it look like the T'Leth defence forces have blown all their Zrbite on the initial s DPLs

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Well, with 18 soldiers, I ran out of room on the Leviathan, so sonic pulsers kind of got the short end of the stick.

Level one did get annoying, what with DP's going off at every corner, but I found it useful for replenishing my own meager (and overused) supply of DPL ammo.

On the last level, I think the aliens were concerned about "violating the sanctity of the Ultimate Alien's resting place" or something, not a single bugger within 3 rooms of the big tomb.