XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo Design

Deimos

This shot doesn't show the top edge much, but you can now see the top edge in a render shot. This one shows the front profile with brake flaps open, and closed. Some minor tweaks to polys still, but otherwise this puppy's lookin good. Drewid, I was able to make a type of iridescent canopy on this. I put some polys inside the cockpit to fill the hole up, set the color to a light purple, and with the shiny transparent canopy it gives the effect. Not very useful for an entire ship, as it almost doubles the polys...

2.jpg

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest drewid

Every time I see it it gets better.

I reckon it's pretty much time to crate it up and send it to the paint shop.

What do you reckon everybody?

Don't worry about the double skin thing for the craft , we'll get that effect with environment mapping, which is cheap on most cards.

In reply to mikker's question of 8 wheels in back, I wanted it to look like it could support a lot of weight back there. However, I could combine the wheel pairs and then use a texture to make it look like seperate wheels, that would cut 192 polys out. It's currently about 1400 polys. The thrust nozzles are another high-poly group. I'm not sure how many, but savings from the use of textures can be made there as well, probably over 100.

As to texturing, what about an olive green or cammo upper section, and a sheet metal/silver look to the bottom? Then there's the various notes, like 'exhaust hot' and 'not a step' that can be pasted around various spots for detail. What about painting the nose cone with the P40 "flying tiger" mouth? For those who are not familiar with it, here's a shot of one:

tiger.jpg

This is an updated wheel section, the textured one on the right is a 24 poly octagon, and it replaces a 96 poly 12-side-o-gon :unsure: 4 of these can be used, so that removes 288 polys from the model. :D (one of these days I'll be banned from posted screen shots, it's like an addiction or something!)

1.jpg

In reply to mikker's question of 8 wheels in back, I wanted it to look like it could support a lot of weight back there. However, I could combine the wheel pairs and then use a texture to make it look like seperate wheels, that would cut 192 polys out. It's currently about 1400 polys. The thrust nozzles are another high-poly group. I'm not sure how many, but savings from the use of textures can be made there as well, probably over 100.

As to texturing, what about an olive green or cammo upper section, and a sheet metal/silver look to the bottom? Then there's the various notes, like 'exhaust hot' and 'not a step' that can be pasted around various spots for detail. What about painting the nose cone with the P40 "flying tiger" mouth? For those who are not familiar with it, here's a shot of one:

I think the size of the craft is going to be a similar size to a C4 transport (maybe smaller) so it's going to need the extra wheels. I guess operational weight would be in tha range of the C4 even if the size isn't, after all it's carrying the weight of the plane, fuel and a squad of fully armed and armoured troops not to mention its capability to carry HWPs which aren't going to be light :) so I'd say keep the extra wheels. The exhaust nozzles might be reducable but I guess that'll come down to how it looks in game fully skinned.

The texturing I think should represent its operational parameters so yeah a camo pattern on the top side would be a good idea. As for the underside I don't think it should be reflective as its a military aircraft. I've been reading a lot about 'black project' aircraft recently (for the designs of the Avenger and Lightining) and its probably beyond the scope of the game but there is a 'stealth paint' that chamelonizes the craft to match the colour of the sky. Very cool stuff but I think we should adopt a light grey or blueish grey for the underside. Just my opinion. The camo pattern should be as neutral as possible so it 'fits in' with most environments.

If you like send me a fullscreen render of the ship and I'll have a play with paint schemes. Once everyone's happy unwrap the UV and we can paint on the skin all the extra details like the 'no step', 'danger hot exhaust' and all the other markings. I'm currently working on some identification markers for the craft which I'll post for evaluation soon.

After playing with the lower poly wheels, I just didn't like them that much compared to the original. While it adds to the total, I don't think it's that much, so I'm keeping the higher poly version. I was able to reduce the nozzle poly count without affecting them any, so that's done. Those are mostly for the Xnet anyways, as I don't think you can see either in the battlescape. So a version with the rear wheels and all nozzles removed can be used in the battlescape view, which drops the poly count from 1365 to 625! :D I may go back and change those rear exhaust ports from triangles to something a little more rounded, they look a little cheap to me right now. Does anybody see anything else that doesn't seem to fit? Let me know by posting here or PM me. Otherwise, I think it's done.

As we were discussing making versions for the various continenets, what should this one go to? Since it's Deimos' design, I think he should get first say as to where. I'm thinking about making another one based off of the US marines' Osprey design, using jet engines rather than turbo props. It could be the north american version I guess. As to the XC1/interceptor, I think it should be north american since it's design is based off of one. I'm begging a 3D modelling friend of mine who lives near Tokyo to make some asian versions, but so far he hasn't had the time or interest to do so.

If you're planning on having the Osprey design for North America then we could use the XC11 for Europe if no one has any complaints about that.

As we are going for different craft for each continent, should there be an option to import different craft from other continents in the buy menu? Ok so the first craft you get as a freebie with your base should come from the continent you have your base in but I think the player should get the option to choose which craft they want.

If you're planning on having the Osprey design for North America then we could use the XC11 for Europe if no one has any complaints about that.

As we are going for different craft for each continent, should there be an option to import different craft from other continents in the buy menu? Ok so the first craft you get as a freebie with your base should come from the continent you have your base in but I think the player should get the option to choose which craft they want.

I like to see X-com/xENOCIDE, as an interplanetaric battle on aliens, devloping stuff for the X-corps, not diffrent countrys supporting a anti-alien group with vehicles.

I like to see X-com/xENOCIDE, as an interplanetaric battle on aliens, devloping stuff for the X-corps, not diffrent countrys supporting a anti-alien group with vehicles.

That's what we're doing, but as with any business they'll find the cheapest/easiest resources they can find. So weapons, soldiers, equipment and anything else theat a player has to buy would initially come from the continent they have their base set up in.

I understand where you're coming from, Xenocide should be seperate from every other military organisation in the world and in the case of uniforms and SOP they will, it just makes sense to outsource for equipment or the costs involved for developing weapons and aircraft just for one top secret project would be astronomical and none of the governments would run to that kind of funding.

Even though the original had skyrangers and interceptors they were leased from the governments of the world in the Xcom universe. If you look at the interceptor there is a similarity to a Mig 29, and if you squint the skyrangr does look like a transport plane albeit with jet engines instead of props.

The other reason for having various craft from different countries is that it provides a nice amount of variety and spreads the influence on the game. So far we have a functional model for the interceptor and skyranger, but the last thing we want is for somebody who wants to help out decide not to because 'they've already done that part'. Know what I mean? In addition, since it's open source, if you want your own version instead you just swap out the model with another that has the same name, and there you go. One of the reasons we want to have continental variations is because it provides an easy reason for having the different models available. While it would require a little different coding, you could even have a list pop up letting you choose between all the available models from whatever base you're at. Maybe you like a particular model more than another, you could pick that one every time if you wanted. I think the coding will include a variable for the continent for lots of things, like the names for soldiers you recruit. That variable would also determine which model is picked when you make a purchase. So you just swap the north american model with the asian model, and then you get the same one at both bases. All it should require is copying files from one folder to another. The theory is that Renault may make a different model plane than Lockheed (I'm pretty sure they both build planes, right? :huh: ) So we want to show a little variety that way.

As it's getting very late, my brain is going to make me ramble on until I spit out that I'd like to see the Oscar Meyer weiner mobile as a drop ship, a huge flying hot dog lands at the terror site to save the day! (Yes, it's stupid, but I'm tired. Good night!)

Guest drewid
I don't want to be a wet blanket, but at the moment this stuff doesn't have to get too detailed. As long as we are aware that we will wan't to swap in different models (to make things moddable), then right now that's all we need to know.

I agree with Drewid on that. I have no clue if Renault makes jets, just an example. Must be mixing up my memories of the Discovery Wings channel again. Replace Renault with Saab in my previous post...

Thinking about different models is a little wishy, i suggest to finish one model, and the game first :P . Even though i know it is difficult to have an artist mind a little chainned...

Greetings

Red Knight

Here's a link for some models, including an interceptor and transport. I still need to insert skeletons to allow for animations, but the existing models can be used for battlescape once they're textured. Deimos and I were chatting about Avenger and Lightning models, we'll probably start working on some basic designs soon. That link has most of the parts I've made so far, there may be a few missing. The other models are not complete, just a place to put them so I can get to them as I need to. If anybody wants to play with them/improve them, go for it. The small scout still needs some work to get it proportional, I'll get back to it soon.

• 4 months later...

Hey

Me and Fux have been thinking about the UFO floor plans, how to make them tactically challenging while still aestectically pleasing. Sorry for the double post, I'm sure the other posts will be either deleted or moved pretty soon so it shouldn't be a problem.

I know straight off Deimos didn't like it, but give me a chance to explain.

Basically we were thinking circles. Imagine a completly still lake. Now, drip a rain drop into it and waves go outwards, right? Now imagine two drops near each other. The waves intersect right? I think this is how rooms and corridors should be created. Apart from the obvious aestectic look think of the tactical challenge. How hard was it to assualt a battleship with regular terrestial rooms. Now imagine these rooms being translated into circles instead of squares, the centre of the droplet wave, with rooms leading outwards in a maze like fashion, vis a vis the waves leading out. As the room's corridors' intersect they make even more complex mazes to the structure. Get the idea?

I really think this is a system we could use, it would make sense on 2 different levels in terms of the game. Firstly shouldn't the aliens have stuff without right angles? I think so. Plus it is much easier to defend a winding road inwards to each room than a straight corridor. Imagine the tension knowing that a Chryssilid could be beyond any curve, and of cause you could reach the room and find 5 Muton's waiting with Heavy Plasmas! The acutal UFO designs would be completly customisable, we could have any radius of circles leading out from the room, any size rooms with any amount of rooms. PLus the doors could be anywhere. It would also make each UFO very different tactically.

Here's a rough first draft of what we are imagining, Fux did the actual room design and I fitted them together so that there are 3 rooms. Currently they are all Power Sources with Nav panels in the corridors but really the Nav panels should have their own rooms, plus the corridors don't intersect nearly enough.

Edit: D'oh! Forgot a key. Sorry

Red Square=Door

Blue Square=Nav Panel

Green Circle=Power Source

post-29-1063674177_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim69

Well, the rooms wouldn't be much bigger than in UFO, probably smaller as less space is needed since space in corners aren't wasted. And I'm not talking small rooms, I'm talking winding corridors.

Take a look at the floor plans for geodesic dome houses at www.aidomes.com and www.domehome.com. These homes have the faceted dome exterior we talked about a while back as an interesting hull look, and the circular designs would fit in well with them. Just flatten the dome some to make it more of a disc profile. You could have the central engine room, surrounded by wedge rooms that connect via doors either to the center, to each other, or to an outer hallway that runs around the outside. Variations of that could work well. I always thought the outer door should be a great choke point, if you placed the door where two of the discs come together, you could have hallways leading away from that spot at angles that can't be covered until you enter, and then the cross fire takes you out. Having windows in the hull that are reflective makes good sense too. The aliens can see out, but the highly reflective nature and alien lighting inside make it impossible to look in. Perhaps the AI can be coded to make the aliens stay in the ufo when they see humans by the door, so you have several with reactions to take out troops as they enter. :devillaugh:

You're planning on making UFO's impossible to assault, right? :blink: I agree it should be harder than in the first Xcom, but it's all supposed to stay fun. Having all aliens hide in their UFO, with several excellent sniping positions on your advancing squad could prove to be more of an annoyance rather than a tactical challenge...

"Soldier 1, move in - Roger, going in no-zap*aaaaaaarrgh*. Soldier 2, move in - Roger, going in no-zap*aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgh* Soldier 3, move in - Roger, going in no-zap*aaaaaaaaaaargggh*" (repeat 4 times)

Exactly. I'm not talking about toilet cubical sized cubby holes that was so annoying in Apoc. There are a couple more things I have to say about this style system:

1. I think, at least in the design stage, that as has been done here, one room is created with it's corresponding corridors leading outwards and then fitted together in a satisfactory way. This doesn't mean all rooms should look identical in either size or corridor setup, everything should be customisable even from ship to ship. But on a battleship I think every power source room should look the same, remember that as the corridors intersect they create a more complex pattern so there will be plenty of variety in there.

2. I did see Breunor's designs on the UFO's and i think they could definatly work here. I think the general mood is that the UFO's shouldn't resemble a rounded rectangle, however if the rooms inside did then there would be a lot of questions reguarding why in some places there appears to be 2 to 3 metres of hull and in others only 1 metre. This would definatly solve this problem.

3. Yes, it would make the Motion Scanner absolutly essential, which means that you would need to send your men out in teams to be effective, which means that you the soldier carrying it would need it in his hand all the time to keep track of the aliens, and guess what? The pistols become an essential piece of kit. Everyones a winner.

Also, reguarding the concern that this would be a lot of work. Correct, but it comes down to is it worth it compared to the amount of time/effort required to both design them and build them? I'd say it very well could be, to my knowledge this has never been done in this fashion and would be a welcome surprise tactically. One of the strong points of UFO was that it required far more tactics than the RTS games "Build loads of men and rush their base" tactics. The more of a tactical challenge that users haven't encountered before makes it far more original and fun, all UFO tactics from X-Com1 would need to be re-evaluated.

Im worried that it might get monotous though, like part 3 of tftd's end mission (if you havn't played, it was a spiral that lead to the "Brain" that you had to destroy. It was so annoying that half way through I had enough and tunneled directly to his area.

A very nasty/fun surprise comes when you show up with blaster bombs... "it takes how many waypoints to work around that curved hallway?!?" :devillaugh:

My point with the aliens in the ufo was not that they all run inside and wait, but that they wouldn't see 6 soldiers aiming at the door and decide to walk out anyways. They know they're trapped, so they'll stay inside and engage 1 at a time. I think every ufo should have an air lock represented by a small room with just 1 interior door, and from that door there are several hallways leading away. It would make the ufo easier to walk around in as an alien, but also creates a natural choke point. Opening the outer hull door and having line of sight into half the ufo doesn't make sense, if that hatch failed half your ufo would be exposed to space. And humans could lay waste as well...

You are right definatly abou the airlock, I was thinking a simular thing. See the gap in the middle of my design? Where the different rooms circumferance corridors intersect? That could be a focal point of the ship, a BIG battle could take place there, maybe the AI likes to try and stop your advance into the UFO by sending out half the soldiers to secure the area, half the soldiers to protect this lobby and the rest of the crew could be around the ship in their various places ( the highest ranks would probably be fortifying themselves in either the furthest room of some weapon storage )

I can draw a sketch if anyone was interesting.

Another point: What if there are no doors? What if their system is to have the curves make sure you can't see straight down the length of the UFO, with mere archways instead of doors? How many animals create doors when they build nests etc? The build an entrance which is a hole and try to hide it. We assume the best way to not be able to see what is in a room is to have a door, why not use the natural curves of the corridors for this? Just a suggestion. We should try to think outside the box when it comes to UFO design rather than something that humans would create if we had their technology. Which is what struck me about the UFO's in X-Com1.

Edited by Jim69

Yes, I would consider submarine designs as relevent to spacecraft design. You could have the arches, but if there's a pressure drop they close to isolate the leak. But to have it outside "the box", what about totally round doors? Like Hobbits use in Lord of the Rings? You could have the door split in 2 halves to slide into the wall, and the seam between them could be some type of design like ying-yang or something.

On one hand, it would look neat. On the other, very expensive poly-wise to model for a door, takes plenty of time to animate and build right relative to a door, and the parts would have to go into the floor and ceiling to disappear, and with the ceiling removed for viewing it might look strange.

Has anyone played avp 2? They had sphincter like doors that didn't seem to take too many polys. Basically they had the door and they textured on the little lines to make it look like it is made of many pieces.

OK, I decided to do a quick 3D sketch of what it might look like. I now also have a very good idea of how easy it is to make the plans: Basically everything has to be drawn into a 2D flat down image, including the lines where the polys will go, or it becomes very hard. Here is what I have done, I think the texture I have used could be a lot more reflective but it's only an indicator for now.

post-29-1063837612_thumb.jpg

Can't really see the door very well, is there NVA's in the game?

Here's a pic that does better justice to Fux's original concept:

post-29-1063882917_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim69

This would also work well with a block based system - each block being a wall segment rotated into place round the parent object's centre, rather than a block translated on a grid.

We'd need different wall sections for each radius, but that's not a problem there would probably only be a few.

If there are concerns about changing things too much we may even be able to reproduce layouts very similar to the original, since the strategy is mainly about doorways and line of sight down corridors rather than the shape of the rooms as such.

I really like this direction

Pretty cool looking concept there Jim. I like the sectioned floor design, has an insect feel to it, particularly the center area that sort of looks like a bee's belly. The layout shows what I meant about the hallways leading off behind the entrance very well. With curved walls like that, you could have some halls without doors, but certain rooms could have them to add to the variety. Fun stuff when you open one and several aliens are waiting for you!

Yeah, I put quite a bit of thought into how these walls could be circular yet still segemented and this seemed the best way to go about it.

I also worked out that for the different radii the segments would need to be at different angles ( hense why none of the rooms are complete circles in this image ) so a lot of the work would be prior to ever doing the first stage of modelling. I think it is a bit big at the moment but this is just a style so things like that are for actual plans.

Hey all

What I have done to make creating the overall UFO floor plan design in this manner a heck of a lot easier is to create a wall block, around about 1m but this is questionable because of the shape so it could be a little out, and created an angle to create the circular design from. Basically it is now easy to make different sized circular patterns from this shape because all that needs doing is fiddling with the angle of the one wall to make the diameter longer or shorter. This is the base, it's eventual diameter is 9.25 metres.

post-29-1063932097_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim69