XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Base Defence Hunt

There's this last Ethereal hiding in my base (or could be a Sectopod) and I can't find the bastard.

I have two soldiers left, one with Pers. Armour & Heavy Laz (the Scout) and another with a Blaster Bomb Launcher in one hand, and a Heavy Plasma in the other. It's past turn 100 (or thereabouts) and I just CANNOT find the little git.

My troops put on a good resistance show, popping out of cover, sniping Ethereals and then popping back under cover again. I've lost all three of my tanks, too. :(

Start;

3 Tanks

4 Soldiers (2 Flying, 2 Pers.)

Current;

0 Tanks

2 Soldiers (1 Flying, 1 Pers.)

I've pretty much combed down the hangars and still nothing.

The Sectopod that appeared in midair inside my General Stores on the lower layer was the scariest bit... one moment, nothing. For the first twenty rounds or so. Then...

BLAM

Sectopod appears from nowhere.

It didn't survive 3 Heavy Plasma bursts to the arse, though. :D

It certainly wasn't expecting my guy to pop out behind it. :wink1:

Edited by Exo2000

I don't use XCUtil for base defense, that's just cheating. Figuring that Psi is already off, I figure it's easier if I scout for it then obliterate it with a BB. I do NOT want to lose that base, as it houses a Firestorm and a considerable cache of Elerium.

If I used XCUtil for every fight in that base, I would lose them all. ;)

(It's only ever staffed by those four soldiers and those three tanks. Mhm.

Edited by Exo2000

Exo2000: I'll download your saved game and give it a whirl. If I can't find that last alien, then nobody can! :)

Over in this thread you mentioned that you were using the ET patch, but after you removed it, the Mutons appeared. Somehow I think the ET patch might be the problem. Aliens disappearing seem to be the common theme, doesn't it? Try disabling the patch to see if that last Ethereal or Sectopod shows up. :wink1:

- Zombie

check obscure staircases, i had a silacoid appear once behind a staircase, which was not good, because i couldn't find him for a long time, i destroyed a lot of houses looking for him

Okay, Exo2000. I conducted my well-known comprehensive floor-by-floor search and found your problems. First Ethereal is located upstairs in your General Stores in the room right above the stairs. He is holding a plasma weapon and should be facing away from your soldier near the right door upstairs. Use the guy with the Flying Suit to nab him.

Next Ethereal is located upstairs in the Living Quarters. This guy is carrying a Blaster Launcher so I'd probably use the soldier with the Flying Suit again to pick it off as it searches up and down the steps. Get in close and the Ethereal should be relatively harmless (especially with a Heavy Plasma)!

A word to the wise: construct your base according to either stewarts or the OSG's plans. It really helps to prevent the aliens from hiding out in the various structures. If you build your bases so that there is a "choke point", then any aliens will have to get by your guys defending that area to enter the rest. You know the drill: Hangars and Access lift to one side, and the rest of your facilities to the other. :)

- Zombie

Thanks a ton, Zombie. *evil laugh*

I wonder how they got there though.

I could just use the BB. Would be easier, IMO. Stairs shouldn't be a hassle to guide the bomb up as long as I do it right. I have three shots with the thing and another on the floor somewhere anyhow. :)

And the stores near the lift and the rooms below are the chokepoints. Looks like I'm minus a few tanks until my Avenger is complete. Time to outfit a factory base! :D

EDIT: And if I need more, I can ship some over from my main base later... :devillaugh:

Edited by Exo2000

Sure, I forgot you had a Blaster Launcher yet. I wouldn't use it for the Ethereal in the General Stores though. Anything laying on the ground will be obliterated from the blast. For the LQ Ethereal, blast away! Good luck. :)

- Zombie