XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Disconnect Bug

Accipitre

I've been having a bug where I play online on the default server for a few turns, then I lose contact with my opponent. We cannot talk to each other, we cannot move.

Because we can't play, I use task manager to quit out. But when I start the game again and connect to the server, I get a message that says that a "User with that name is already connected".

I'm using beta 0.7.1086 on a Dell w/ 2.5 GB Ram, 3.2 ghz processer, win XP SP3. I am inside a LAN.

Help, anyone?

Edited by Accipitre

I've been having a bug where I play online on the default server for a few turns, then I lose contact with my opponent. We cannot talk to each other, we cannot move.

Does it happen to you regularly or it was once?

Because we can't play, I use task manager to quit out.

You could probably get away without using task manager. It's not a nice way to close programs.

But when I start the game again and connect to the server, I get a message that says that a "User with that name is already connected".

It's a feature of TCP protocol. The server did not receive disconnect notification, so it thinks that your client application is just idle but still connected. Keep alive packets are sent once in a while to verify that the client is still connected, so the server will see that you are not there eventually. Of course this could be handled better (have a special check and try to explicitly verify connection once somebody tries to login with the same name).

I'm using beta 0.7.1086 on a Dell w/ 2.5 GB Ram, 3.2 ghz processer, win XP SP3. I am inside a LAN.

Help, anyone?

It has happened regularly. Out of 7-8 games I have started, I have only managed to finish one.

This does not sound normal. Is your network stable? For example do you have any problems downloading large files without connection getting broken?

I had noticed. How else should I quit?

Does the game become unresponsive? It should be possible to navigate back to the game server screen, main menu and then exit from the game by just pressing ESC button repeatedly.

So how do I fix it? It's horribly annoying, because I love this game.

Take some books about C++ programming language and sockets programming, download the sources of the game and hack it so that it works better for you, then share your fix with the rest of us. Just joking :) Anyway, if you have some software development experience, it is definitely not a joke, but the most realistic way to get this problem fixed.

I never have problems with network stability. My network is also exceptionally fast, with about 500 kbps on an ftp download.

I didn't know you could quit this way, but I do get the Surrender/Offer draw/Cancel box when I press it once.

Unfortunatly, I am horrible at any kind of programming. I've tried it before, and never got beyond simple BASIC.

EDIT: Good news. I found a way around it. F3 seems to work fine. I can even see our dialogue after we got cut off. Quite amusing, two people talking to each other about how they're irritated at being disconnected. I was able to finish my turn.

I also got a Remote Exit error in the process, but it didn't seem to affect the game.

And pressing ESC repeatedly results in the draw screen toggling.

Edited by Accipitre