XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Everybody loves proximity grenades. They're fun to toss around at Sectiod Soldier #1374 and watch him get blown up if he tries to move at all.

But putting all their fun uses aside, they had some pretty good tactical uses as well. I think Xenocide should attempt to further this. One (Relatively) simple way would be the ability to prime the sensing radius.

For more damage to higher-armored enemys (Mutons), you could set it to "0" and put it right outside a door, at which point it would only explode if someone stepped directly on it.

Or perhaps you want an early warning system, but an opening is too big for one proxy and using more than one would be impractical. Solution? Prime it to 5, and anything that steps in a 11 by 11 area sets it off. Although this doesn't do as much damage, it accomplishes what you wanted it to do--warn you of an approch from a field, or wherever.

In addition, I think a remotely-detonated explosive would come in handy, like a High-Explosive that will go off only when you tell it to (Like the pipebomb in Duke Nukem 3D).

Edited by Dover

• 1 month later...

A few questions that I have...

First, explosions are 3D, right? So, are proximity mines going to be set off if something floats over it? Or is it going to be only set off if something walks into its range?

Second of all, can explosives detonate other explosives/ammo like in Apoc? I would simply love to see a chain of blaster bombs down a corridor with a proximity mine at the end to...ignite it all. Or having incendiary rockets and proximity mines together to make incendiary proximity mine.

• 11 months later...

I like the idea of setting the detection range of the Proximity Mine. But I also like the idea of having an item that warned players of activity near them. I say the developers should implement both.

Would be nice if the proximity detector thingies could have lights in them, too, so that they lit up the area near them when they detected approaching enemies.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool thread.

Proximity Electroflares

Sticky Proximity/High Explosives (why not a wall, ceiling or door tile too?)

Explosives related to these or incorporated in them that let you decide when to detonate via some trigger on the overhead map for instance. (Absolutely love the idea of planting such a thing on either alien stockpiles of ammo or your own, then detonating for a much bigger damage result).

Seems to me the one item lacking in all of X-COM inventory at this point is duct tape for those things that can't be stickied :) Ya know, for improvising other such sorts of ambushes.

Edited by Snakeman