XCOMUFO & Xenocide

As Simple As Point And Shoot.

Sporb

It always bugged me the way the Xcom agents fired their weapons , it just didnt look right. So , being the meddling bugger that i am , i figured i'd just go and draw some better shooting sprites.

Note , the topmost agents are demonstrating the Xcom shooting method , to me .. i dunno , it just doesnt look right

PS , dont let him fool you , tht guy is actually blond

Edited by Sporb

yes, i completely noticed that in Xcom 1 and 2, it is extremely annoying that they fire their weapons single handed.. it goes from soldier--> O|

at normal and when shooting it goes to Soldier---> O--

The only problem is how to make use of these sprites , they might have to be left as external in an arts folder or somthing and just accessed by the game as is. i originally made them up just for fun but perhaps they could be employed somhow. it would definatly solve a feature request on mantis (thats what gave me the idea in the first place). Similar sprites can easily be made for all the aliens and if i was to go really hardcore , they could even be customised for each specific shot type (Raises gun to shoulder for aimed etc) Edited by Sporb

Snap shot is from the hip , so's auto shot. Aimed shot is from shoulder. majority rules. but if it's possible to add these sprites at all , it'l be possible to add a different posture for each shot type. Edited by Sporb

Majority huh?

I just thought that it would look somewhat silly if the guys consistently shoot accurate long range shots from the hip, while it wouldn't be unthinkable that they might raise their guns to somewhere around their eye level even if they're not going to spend much time aiming.

Of course, the coolest would be if both were implemented, but it's just so much more work.

i think they would have to be , can you imagine raising a mingun/heavy cannon/autocannon to your shoulder? , ouch! It's a good idea though and i will make the sprites for both (Personal armour for now). Oooo which reminds me , i might do a similar thing to handguns as in real life its far harder to shoot a handgun from the hip than a rifle. Edited by Sporb

well... I don't think any soldiers actually shoots from the hip

All weapons except heavy weapons (heavy laser, plasma, cannon, autocannon) should be fired from shoulder, but maybe for aimed shot you could have the head tilted towards the weapons as if sighting

Rocket launcher, if you want to go even harder, could be put onto the shoulder... It is most annoying to watch your soldiers(especially in TFTD) walk around with their rocket launcher or torpedo launcher like it is a rifle and then shoot it one handed

can you imagine raising a mingun/heavy cannon/autocannon to your shoulder?

I don't mean ti jack the topic, but that brings up the question how it is possible to have an aimed first shot with those at all.

Miniguns, for example, use tracers for aiming - which means they should get more accurate (up to a point) with every consecutive shot fired at the same target.

Probably too "realistic" to implement, tho. :)

i think they would have to be , can you imagine raising a mingun/heavy cannon/autocannon to your shoulder? , ouch! It's a good idea though and i will make the sprites for both (Personal armour for now). Oooo which reminds me , i might do a similar thing to handguns as in real life its far harder to shoot a handgun from the hip than a rifle.

Then there are pistols to consider...

Open your eyes, Blood Angel. Sporb was already thinking about pistols!

All we need now is some way to show that a soldier is using 2 pistols. :)