XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - GAIA Defense Array

The point I'm trying to make is that the gravity pulling different parts of the body would cause the damage, not the body hitting the interior of the armor.

Traditional armor doesn't block gravity. In other words, the same amount of damage is done if the person was wearing combat armor or just a t-shirt. So we'd have a weapon that cannot be defended against.

We could say that perhaps Alien armor protects against gravity weapons... but the since the materials used to create Alien armor are the same materials used in Alien UFOs, this implies that UFOs are protected against gravity weapons- something that should not be the case. Gravity drones/fusion bombs are supposed to be the most devastating weapons.

For the sake of discussion, can anyone track down the manufacturing requirements for the X-Com armors?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the armor was phased in from another dimension then it is possible that it would be safe from the affects of the ripple as it is not on the plane that the ripple is on

Guest Azrael
ROFL! I won't even try to understand what you guys keep talking about, I'll read Tsereve's draft when he posts it. If possible, try to keep it as little uber-complicated as possible (yes, this is no longer "over-complicated", now it's "uber" :Brickwall: ), some people might actually read and not fall asleep while doing it :P

Yes, Master Consistency. :master:

I'm trying to explain to Tsereve that armor in X-Com protected soldiers from blaster bombs (somewhat), so armor in Xenocide should protect a soldier from gravity drones. Unfortunately, gravity goes through armor, so this is a consistency issue.

To be honest, I haven't a clue what blehm's talking about. :D

Edited by Astyanax

For the sake of discussion, can anyone track down the manufacturing requirements for the X-Com armors?

As per request - from the original strategy guide (hence the original names)

Personal Armor - 4 Alien Alloys

Power Suit - 5 Alien Alloys, 5 Elerium-115

Flying Suit - 5 Alien Alloys, 16 Elerium-115

So I read most of this thread today...my opinion (for what it is worth) is that calling it a gravity disruption bomb is fine even if most of the damage is done by a traditional explosion. After all, a fusion bomb is called that even though most of the damage isn't done by fusing atoms - a fusion reaction causes a big ol' bang.

If we're not happy with that...well...I suppose you could say "the presence of Xenium seems to disrupt the gravity wave" and thereby people can figure out that Xenium-containing armor will help out...but you have to wonder how a ship's power source could be destroyed...

Gravitational pulse exists on our plane, armor is physcially existant in another universe so it is therefore unaffected by the pulse. I think that a good old xenium powered explosion would work best, this gravitational pulse has really gotten a bit more attention than it needs

Thanks for tracking the armor-manufacturing info down, Kikanaide.

So I read most of this thread today...my opinion (for what it is worth) is that calling it a gravity disruption bomb is fine even if most of the damage is done by a traditional explosion.
I think that a good old xenium powered explosion would work best, this gravitational pulse has really gotten a bit more attention than it needs
So, gravity is involved in the creation of the explosion, but isn't the damaging force behind it? Sounds neat- I could live with that. Edited by Astyanax

Guest Azrael
Yes, Master Consistency. :master:

LOL

To be honest, I haven't a clue what blehm's talking about. :D

ROFL

Just an idea of why the gravity doesn't go through armor, why not have the weapon create a "gravity well" in which it first pulls everything in, and then out in a burst, the gravity waves hit the armor, making mollecules shake and break the armor in parts, but the armor protects the body. Or, if that doesn't work (probably not given my small knowledge on physics), just have the weapon create a gravity well that when decayed creates an energy shockwave, which is protected by the armor, how about it? :naughty:

But please, PLEASE, don't throw another universes, or planes into this :D

Sorry if I posted something someone else had already given the solution to :Blush:

Alright, so it is decided...

A Xenium reactor is used to create a gravity well and draw matter towards it, and the xenium reactor somehow interacts with the matter and explodes violently, i think that anti-matter production from the xenium reactor would be very nice...

Building Fusion defenses require neither - They are essentially the most efficient fusion weapon in the game, since they don't require a very large amount of elerium for just one shot....

Az - no, because no base facilities required any special materials

That said, I think this falls under the same category as plasma cannon, and maybe plasma defense - if the underlying technology uses Xenium...maybe we should make the defenses require Xenium...I'm not going to be the one to make that call, but there you are.

edit: Funny thought...I suppose we could charge a significant fee for construction (10-50 ish off the top of my head) and then say that it will resupply off of the attacking craft. I.E. if it's not being used, it doesn't need supply...if it is doing its job maybe it can still grab a few units off of the wreckage, or maybe it only "refuels" off of intact landings...

I know we don't want to do that...it's just a fun idea.

Edited by Kikanaide

If there's no Xenium component, how do you explain why human hadn't thought of this yet? We have nuclear power, the next strongest thing (fusion's still iffy after all) and we have missiles. Xenium has to be a factor, otherwise we'd have everything we need to make these things before the aliens arrived. Quite pitiful for one of the best weapons in the game.

Guest Azrael

Don't ask me, ask Microprose.

And why didn't the Humans thought of this before? because they didnt' have Alien technology to learn new things.

However, without Xenium, humans would be able to build one of these things beforehand. Metal alloys could be used instead of Alien Composites, and Xenium Reactors are the only power source the aliens contributed, so you seem to be implying the use of a nuclear or even a petrolium propulsion system.

Hmmm, there is no way petroleum powered missiles could keep up with an alien battleship, battleships, if you think about it, travel extremley fast, i think it is 5000 Kilometers per hour, which is 3000 Miles per hour... more than mach 4

now if someone had fusion power and used it for propulsion(Whoever said that the alien provided the tech for the "Fusion" in Fusion Ball defences, the alien could have inpired it but we made it on our own)

that might be able to go hypersonic... then why bother with missiles, hypersonic 100 pound projectiles could do just as well if you lead... hmmmm

Guest Azrael
However, without Xenium, humans would be able to build one of these things beforehand.  Metal alloys could be used instead of Alien Composites, and Xenium Reactors are the only power source the aliens contributed, so you seem to be implying the use of a nuclear or even a petrolium propulsion system.

I am not implying anything, you don't seem to understand that is Microprose's choice, not ours, but we cannot add in the text something that it's not in the tech tree. If you like, put this text on hold until we know what will happen with this.

Obviously, there must be a propulsion system of some sort. However:

Then, until we change it, no mentioning of a Xenium Reactor or Xenium in this.

Because Xenium is the main, if not the only source of power the aliens possess, the above sentence indicates that the propulsion/power source will be man-made.

Well, for what it's worth - in the above post I mentioned that it doesn't require the physical materials. It does (if I'm reading the guide correctly) require at least Elerium being researched to get Fusion Bombs.

Edit: That said, the guide doesn't show where Fusion Defense is available...but I'm assuming you need Fusion Bombs to build the defense.

Edited by Kikanaide

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Azrael
Ok, for now you can use that the facility requires 1-2 Xenium Reactors and a certain amount of Xenium (for construction, not for ammunition). But be aware that this may change once we get to test the game and balance it. For what it's worth, I agree that it's a bit odd that in the original you didn't need anything special to build the facility.

Just a couple ideas in light of recent requirements changes. Please don't feel like you have to incorporate all (or any) of them, they are just there in case you're looking for a starting point...I was feeling sorry for myself with having to rewrite the plasma cannon text...look's like you've got it a lot worse than I have.

An idea for few Reactors - go back to projectiles instead of guided missiles... How do you hit something as maneuverable as a UFO you ask? Shoot fast...and shoot when they are close. It explains why you can't start firing when it's halfway across the country...

I suppose the Reactors could be used to accelerate the shot...or maybe we could use them sabot-like and have a container with the reactor that launches into the air, then separates...then we reuse the reactor. I think it might be retarded but you could have fun with it if you want.

Don't be too upset about not lobbing the reactors at them, though...after all, this is supposed to rely on whatever the handheld version uses...

No idea how you want to use no/very little Xenium for the reaction. You're on your own for that, I'm afraid.

edit - a few additions...remember that traditional, petroleum based missles DO have a chance of hitting alien ships - we use them early and and if you had a death wish you could even try to take down battleships with them...them and a lot of interceptors. And that's in open-air conditions, with maximum UFO maneuverability. Now, on a base defence, they have to land near you - and the longer they are in the air, the longer you can fire. So, in a way, it's an advantage to the defence system. it's just fine to say that a traditional missile with a massively upgraded explosive is what you need.

Hope that's of some help - Kikanaide

Edited by Kikanaide

Guest Azrael
No idea how you want to use no/very little Xenium for the reaction.  You're on your own for that, I'm afraid.

IIRC, the Xenium Reactors used Xenium to operate, so there's your explanation. The Reactors are used to power up the facility. I do like the idea of shooting fast rather than moving projectiles.

Me too, but then it wouldn't be consistant with the Gravity Drone guidedness.

Well, here's a few options.

1) Just say a gravity defense array uses unguided projectiles 'cause we're short on Xenium and can't afford to use it in the drives (or predict that wasting it would not be wise, some people will have lots and lots of Xenium). The name is "gravity defense array" and not "gravity drone defense array," perhaps the word "drone" implied the guidedness? You'd have to check the other CTD for that...just an idea that makes some sense to me.

edit: kinda like a "nuclear bomb" became a "nuclear warhead" or "tactical nuclear warhead" when deployed in different theaters of operation. But one wouldn't say that they were truly different technology. They're still "nukes."

2) Use the power sources to chuck the things out super-fast, then put some rockets on them to maneuver a little. Wouldn't be able to turn on a dime like a drone, but would be able to make small course adjustments and maintain speed (bullets have terminal velocity) over greater distance.

3) Try to think up a method of moving stuff around without Xenium (or without much of it...you can always use atomic-scale pieces of things and have them around for years) or power sources...

4) I suppose you could have a little "drone-craft" which would hold the power source and the explosive, and when it is very close to the UFO it opens up and stops, allowing momentum of the explosive to carry it toward the UFO, but then the power source (still in the craft) runs away. That way you could reuse the power source. And you could have two, but only time to launch one without a [Gravity Shield].

edit: That also explains how you could "miss" with a guided weapon that can turn around and try repeatedly...someone might ask that. During that time where the power source retreats, the UFO could dodge. But it would be like firing a projectile from 50 ft instead of 700 yards. A battleship, probably, couldn't dodge that.

Let me know if I'm being of help or being annoying. Hope these ideas help you think of something.

Edited by Kikanaide

• 1 month later...

bump

...just to have this near the top, where I can see it, because this whole text will probably have to be re-written as soon as the "Gravity Distortion Drone / Launcher" (and, subsequently, the [Fusion Missile Launcher] and [Fusion Missile XCAP]) is finished. And possibly a name change, too, when the final name for the [Fusion Missile Launcher] has been chosen.

:devillaugh: :Hyper: :Cry: :Drool: :blink: :doh:

What?? :crying1:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Ok, I'm good.

Maybe a minute amount of Xenium, less than a thousandth of a unit, maybe less. Actually, only a few molecules would be needed, in theory. Just use those molecules to set off a chain reaction in some other unstable compound, and boom, instant power source.

Although the drone-craft idea does sound interesting *strokes an imaginary beard*

However, that'd still use up some Xenium, because some would be lost in-transit. . .not to mention in the explosive itself.

well, for the base defence thing we could have a modified system that takes its power not from a xenium reaction, but from some kind of high-energy capacitor that is charged by the base's energy supply

(our bases do have an independent power supply of some kind, do they? I mean like a small nuclear reactor, like those they use in nuclear-powered submarines)

well, for the base defence thing we could have a modified system that takes its power not from a xenium reaction, but from some kind of high-energy capacitor that is charged by the base's energy supply

(our bases do have an independent power supply of some kind, do they? I mean like a small nuclear reactor, like those they use in nuclear-powered submarines)

Hm, but wouldn't a complete rewrite be needed then? I mean, that would be a complete new technology, because until now the Xenium doesn't just have power supply function but is needed as itself. Otherwise one might be able to build a drive for the new Xcorps fighters that doesn't need Xenium (and that would be awesome :) ).

I think the Gravity defence doesn't fire this often, so maybe one could just say, "they build enough warheads when the defence is established" ? If we really change this text, we also have to change the Plasma Defence, because it needs Xenium as well. Or we just implement a small usage of Xenium after each Alien attack - the Xenium is used to reload the "new generation" defences. That would give a good reason to still have one or two laser defences online... :)

Hm, but wouldn't a complete rewrite be needed then? I mean, that would be a complete new technology, because until now the Xenium doesn't just have power supply function but is needed as itself. Otherwise one might be able to build a drive for the new Xcorps fighters that doesn't need Xenium (and that would be awesome :) ).

...hmmm. good point. perhaps we could say that the bases are powered by a really huge reactor? something that wouldn't be possible to build into a spaceship?

Or we just implement a small usage of Xenium after each Alien attack - the Xenium is used to reload the "new generation" defences. That would give a good reason to still have one or two laser defences online... :)

that's exactly what I would do, if I had to decide ;)

...hmmm. good point. perhaps we could say that the bases are powered by a really huge reactor? something that wouldn't be possible to build into a spaceship?

Hm. And why don't you have to build that very huge reactor? Because in the beginning you sure wouldn't need that much energy. Or why don't you need service personnel? And wouldn't that be too noticeable from the outside?

On the other hand that explanation is not too bad. Xenium gives you the possibility to produce a lot of power with lightweight equipment, if you don't need low weight, than you can use conventional power supply. But what’s with the warhead itself? wouldn't the explosion need Xenium nevertheless? Otherwise, why couldn't X-Corps Technicians come up with this device before?

For now we'll have it need Xenium just to build, not to reload or as maintainance.

Otherwise, why couldn't X-Corps Technicians come up with this device before?

Because they didn't have Xenium and hadn't had the chance to study Alien technology before.

[...]and it's the best explanation I know, too.

...yet it is the same as usual. :P

So, we need to rewrite the Plasma Defense Array? And why do we need Xenium to build this, if it is not depleted? (Well, ok I can live with this... :) )

[...]and it's the best explanation I know, too.

So, we need to rewrite the Plasma Defense Array? And why do we need Xenium to build this, if it is not depleted? (Well, ok I can live with this... :) )

You can work any explanation you want. I myself still don't see the problem, Xenium is supposed to be a huge source of energy, so what's so incoherent about using it to generate plasma or the fusion balls?

...yet it is the same as usual.

That's kinda what the game is based on, I don't see why all the research has to be triggered by new materials, I find it logical that researching previously unkown technology can give us new of our own "Oh, look, I never thought of doing X that way!", seeing Alien plasma technology can most certainly help us create our own versions. The idea I had suggested for Plasma Defense is that it doesn't need Xenium for every shot because it's a whole facility devoted to the creation of it, so it only uses a minimum amount of xenium to run and lasts the duration of the entire game, which is not forever (in theory).

Edited by Azrael

[...] I myself still don't see the problem, Xenium is supposed to be a huge source of energy, so what's so incoherent about using it to generate plasma or the fusion balls?

Because, as I understand it, in every plasma or fusion ball there is a certian amount of Xenium, so the stocks will be depleted after a number of shots. But...

[...] The idea I had suggested for Plasma Defense is that it doesn't need Xenium for every shot because it's a whole facility devoted to the creation of it, so it only uses a minimum amount of xenium to run and lasts the duration of the entire game, which is not forever (in theory).

...that could be an explanation, but I think then we should mention this in the CT. something in the sense of:

"Oh, look, I never thought of doing X that way!", seeing Alien plasma technology can most certainly help us create our own versions.
like: "using a variation of the original Design where Xenium is only needed as a catalyst and is not depleted anymore..." I think something like this could be easily included in both texts. But again: I don't want to press my opinion here, it's just that I really like to have an explanation for everything, that doesn't mean everyone has to think that way. :beer:

I have never been too fond of the gel explanation, it seems a little unfeasible to me, I know this is sci-fic, but I still don't see it happening. The most logical explanation is that Xenium allows to generate enough energy in a short period of time to create a plasma reaction, the Alien Composites would be enough to contain the reaction within the weapon. If we think about it from the gameplay point of view, I would absolutely hate to have my Plasma Cannon need Xenium to reload, since it's very difficult to obtain and you can't produce it, what if we add that same requirement to the Plasma Defense and Fusion Defense? you would never have enough Xenium to last Alien attacks/interceptions/missions at once, considering you also need it for the craft/armors/some weapons maybe. Now, the whole Xenium is required for every shot is entirely exclusive for the hand held weapons, we could go that way for the larger weapons, but I don't think that would be good, we can come up with a hundred other explanation of why the facilities and cannons don't use Xenium every single shot, for example because simply, as I said before, an entire facility can easily create the same reaction that takes place in the weapons, on a larger scale, because of being a huge thing only devoted to it, while the weapons need to be portable and fire a lot, while the Facility will shoot once, maybe twice during an Alien attack, same goes for Fusion Defense; and the Cannon is probably weaker in damage than the facility but still larger than the hand-held weapons, thus it's able to generate a lot of shots using a small amount of Xenium, maybe a bit each month, but still only a bit.

[...] The most logical explanation is that Xenium allows to generate enough energy in a short period of time to create a plasma reaction,[...]

If we think about it from the gameplay point of view, I would absolutely hate to have my Plasma Cannon need Xenium to reload, since it's very difficult to obtain and you can't produce it, what if we add that same requirement to the Plasma Defense and Fusion Defense? you would never have enough Xenium to last Alien attacks/interceptions/missions at once, considering you also need it for the craft/armors/some weapons maybe.[...]

Hm... I think I get your point. And I don't see a problem with that. The only thing I had a problem with was, that you need Xenium to build it, but never again. If Xenium is used as a powersource it should deplete some day. But I agree, that would be a pain in the *peeep*. It's a problem of gameplay colliding with "reality". So maybe we could really say something like "it is neede for x and y but not depleted"? That would be the easiest way, although we would need explanations for the detonation of the fusion warheads, and a new plasma technology for the facility. Nevertheless, could be kind of interesting, and if we really want to change the whole plasma tech, then it's not a problem anymore. And I agree with you, plasmatech doesn't sound too much like it would work like this, but like with the Gravity Distortion Technique we need to find a compromise between realism and somehow explainable but good sounding. As we all are no physicists reality might loose this fight...

Perhaps the Xenium is used in such a way that the gravity waves restore the power of the xenium?

Hm, possible. That would be some sort of catalyst. But that would give us a way how to produce Xenium or did I get sth. wrong?

I would say for plasma defences - 50 xenium to first build it, then say 5 extra xenium a month

then again, why would inactive defences need the extra? 1 xenium a shot seems pretty conservative, thats a maximum of two xenium per ship attack, which will last plenty long enough, if you use up 50 xenium on these things and your grav defences aren't up, then you're having problems

Gravity Defense Array could work the same way, 2 xenium a shot, maximum of 4 a battle, and you can replenish its supplies at the simple click of a button

Edit: I wanted to see what you were typing, but i got impatient - I agree, how could gravity waves replenish energy?

Edited by blehm

[...] The most logical explanation is that Xenium allows to generate enough energy in a short period of time to create a plasma reaction,[...]

If we think about it from the gameplay point of view, I would absolutely hate to have my Plasma Cannon need Xenium to reload, since it's very difficult to obtain and you can't produce it, what if we add that same requirement to the Plasma Defense and Fusion Defense? you would never have enough Xenium to last Alien attacks/interceptions/missions at once, considering you also need it for the craft/armors/some weapons maybe.[...]

Hm... I think I get your point. And I don't see a problem with that. The only thing I had a problem with was, that you need Xenium to build it, but never again. If Xenium is used as a powersource it should deplete some day. But I agree, that would be a pain in the *peeep*. It's a problem of gameplay colliding with "reality". So maybe we could really say something like "it is neede for x and y but not depleted"? That would be the easiest way, although we would need explanations for the detonation of the fusion warheads, and a new plasma technology for the facility. Nevertheless, could be kind of interesting, and if we really want to change the whole plasma tech, then it's not a problem anymore. And I agree with you, plasmatech doesn't sound too much like it would work like this, but like with the Gravity Distortion Technique we need to find a compromise between realism and somehow explainable but good sounding. As we all are no physicists reality might loose this fight...

No, I didn't mean it won't deplete eventually, it simply won't deplete during the course of the game, which I don't think would last 10 years, would it?

I don't see how gravity waves can restore power, and even if they could, there is no such thing as perpetuum mobile.

Yea, you're right there. Thats why I spoke of a catalytic effect.

No, I didn't mean it won't deplete eventually, it simply won't deplete during the course of the game, which I don't think would last 10 years, would it?

No, hopefully not... :) But the player doesn't need to know. I think, if you are viewing this from the in-game side, then you cannot know when the Alien threat will be eliminated, so you want to know what is the TCO (total cost of ownership), and 50 Units of Xenium every 10 years should be mentioned, just for completeness sake. (Although I agree, that’s not really relevant, so never mind. Just can't get out of my German skin :P )

I don't see how gravity waves can restore power, and even if they could, there is no such thing as perpetuum mobile.

Yea, you're right there. Thats why I spoke of a catalytic effect.

No, hopefully not... :) But the player doesn't need to know. I think, if you are viewing this from the in-game side, then you cannot know when the Alien threat will be eliminated, so you want to know what is the TCO (total cost of ownership), and 50 Units of Xenium every 10 years should be mentioned, just for completeness sake.

Yes, it should, I believe I did suggest that (several times before <_<)

Yes, it should, I believe I did suggest that (several times before <_>

Nooo! You must be mistaken! :P *goes away with hanging head*

---Edit----

removed ;) for increased dramatic effect :P

Edited by Mad

• 2 weeks later...

I've once again taken a good look at the Xenium text, and I can't think of a loophole in there that lets us use Xenium as some kind of catalyst, which would probably be the best way to do it. If xenium could also be used to convert energy into gravity waves, we would just have to say that A LOT of energy is needed for that, and the base defences have a conventional nuclear reactor or something that provides this energy. The xenium would work as a not-quite-perfect catalyst, being used up in the process, but much more slowly than usual.

I don't think it would be possible to insert a sentence or two in the (finished) xenium ctd entry? Come to think of it, the xenium entry could also need a little tweaking because it mentions the "apparent ability of alien craft to generate anti-gravity fields" in the beginning, but actually never really explains that, instead mentioning the capabilities to "warp space and travel in the non-linear fashion required for practical space travel" later, which is something completely different... :P

I've once again taken a good look at the Xenium text, and I can't think of a loophole in there that lets us use Xenium as some kind of catalyst, which would probably be the best way to do it.[...]

:cussing: that's exactly what I've been saying for the last... 100000 years or sth like this... ;) *sniff* why doesn't anyone hear me? :(

Edited by Mad