XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Psionic Probe

Kamikazee

sorry if this appears twice, my browser went crazy so i sent it again just to be safe, if so can an admin person delete it for me, thanx

This is a 5 minute first draft so critisize please.
And look Cpl. Facehugger, It isn't organic :) yay!

[quote]RESEARCH COMPLETED: [MIND PROBE]

HEAD OF RESEARCH PROJECT: [JAMIE HILLSDEN]

SPECIFICATIONS:
WEIGHT:___________________ [wieght]
SIZE:______________________ [size]
DAMAGE TYPE:____________ N/A
TYPE:_____________________ PSI
POWER:___________________ N/A
ACCURACY:_______________ N/A
RANGE:___________________ Unknown
FIRE RATE:________________ N/A
OTHER:___________________ N/A

(The [MIND PROBE] allows the user to read their target's mind. Requires no training.)

This unusual orb-like alien device is an extremely complex arrangement of alien micro-proccessors and  circuitry. After extensive research it is clear that this device is some form of alien communication device. Howver, it can also be used for a more usefull purpose. The large surface area acts like an antenna to intercept brainwaves, while the amazingly complex micro-supercomputer inside converts the waves so that they are compatible with the users brain, relaying the message directly to the user, instantly and with an accuracy of over 99%. Fortunately, due to our brains similarity to some alien races the [Mind Probe] can be used by X-Corp units in combat situattions. Unfortunately, due to the complexity of the semi pictorial alien language our scientists are as yet unable to decipher a single word. Therefore, its use is restricted to emotions intercepted from the target, such as morale, any wounds, any equipment they are carrying along with an assortment of statistics about the targets condition and rank. This is a very complex but useful piece of technology, that has great use on a battle scene, but it is not without its limits. Firstly, the user (or another user) must be in visual contact of the target and secondly, the device takes quite a bit of time to use due to its cumbursome design, size and its minimal compatability with the human mind.[/quote]

sorry theres no paragraphing, im too lazy.
oh well, critisize away.

PS There may be some bits i cant change otherwise it will not tie in with the Psi Amp and the text on human psi abilities.

The tech tree will follow the one from xcom, not sure that an official list is done yet, the dependencies are being written in XML the last I read on the programmer's SF mailing list. I would take whatever stats you see in the original ufopedia, otherwise just make up what sounds appropriate for dimensions. A good reference is to compare the space items take in the backpack, compared to other items like pistols and rifles.

thanks but wot i meant was is there a tech tree diagram for UFODEF that i can have to help me out a bit.
it saves me replaying the game

:D very good i enjoyed reading it

but i think the line

"The large surface area acts like an antenna to intercept brainwaves"

needs do be buffed into somthing more scientific

maybe searching for russian/KGB telepatchic research conspiracies on the net may yield more if your interested.

but it's probably not needed

thanks, i already have about 20 pages on it already which i used for the history info on the Psi Amp but people weren't to fond of it, but some still remains.

These were basically rough ideas written in five minutes. I will definitely add more scientific stuff in.

PS to whoevr made the Mind probe pics in the concept art on the xeno site, considering that it is just a sphere it lt looks great i like it. the ridges add a sense of detaial and make it feel slightly more realistic and ergonomic looking. and i will tie in the ridges into my writing later on.

Heres an rtf for you.
didn't change much, just said the surfece has dimples for a large surface area so it can trap more brain waves. some other stuff i dont remember. input please.

ok... my grammar is not acceptable here, as it's fairly poor, so i'll just comment on suggested phrasing/"fluff" words as facehugger would say ^_^

please understand that these are just suggestions that you may use at your own disgression

"orb-like" > [color="blue"]spheric[/color]

"brainwaves" > [color="blue"]psionic emissions[/color]

"allows communication between different species with [color="red"]different brain structures[/color]"

[color="blue"]various cranial capacities[/color]

basically my suggestions for this type of document are to change common words into scientific spam, i hope this helps.

edit... my spelling needs some work to ( :D i'm my own worst critic) Edited by RustedSoul

It would sound better but i dont want to alienate people who never played UFODEF or anybody who might understant all this theoretical science crap, eg psionic emissions, for all they know that might be a new game by sega

• 1 year later...

The research history of the [mind probe] is a particularly interesting one, for X-corps scientists anyway. After the device was retrieved from the field, and Professor Jeremy Howard confiscated it from the rookie playing with it, research could start.

"What? This? It's an alien football - It's mine dude! I found it first! Give it bac- *THUD*" Rookie Johnson, shortly before being subdued by Professor Jeremy Howard.

The device is a blue, dimpled orb the size of a football, as noted by Johnson. Closer analysis showed that the dimples contained psionic receptors, but no matter how hard we tried, none of the X-corps research team could figure out how to use it. So we put it into storage, and began to look into other research projects. That was when the breakthrough came.

One of the two storage workers putting the dead-end research projects into storage that night came over all funny while putting the Psionic Probe away. His account follows.

"Well, me and mike were putting the stuff that confused the eggheads into storage, and I made to throw the Alien Football to him, like a basketball pass, and I went all funny. Suddenly, I was mike, if you see what I mean. I could see myself throwing a football at me. At that point I got all confused, and I was me again. Mike didn't have a clue what happened."

Peter Stone, Storage worker.

The researchers picked up the trail again, and discovered a fair amount about the Psionic Probe.

As most scientists know, every living thing emits brainwaves. The Psionic Probe's multiple psionic receptors pick up these brainwaves and store them within its orbic shape. The device is hollow, and the brainwaves are reflected internally. Once enough brainwaves have been accumulated within, brainwaves of the same signature (from the same individual) begin to collect in the shell of the device. Upon contact with skin from a sentient being, the brainwaves will enter the host brain through the neural system.

The end result is that the host can feel certain things through the recieved brainwaves about the individual that produced them. This may include morale, pain, Limited vision, a couple of memories, and knowledge of limitations. Practically, the Psionic Probe can be used to identify an alien's race, rank, armament, state of injury, psionic skill and resistance, morale, stamina, fatigue and other information about them, simply by grasping this orb and concentrating on the target. However, the device is large, cumbersome, and sometimes difficult to use.

"This thing is gnarly! I stole one out of the stores and used it to spy on Helen Parkinson for a whole week!"

Rookie Brown, in his field report on the Psionic Probe, shortly before his court-martial and expulsion on charges of voyeurism.

Guest Azrael

Topic merged, if there is already a thread, please use it.

--------

PSIONIC PROBE

X-Net://Pegasus.Net/Alien/Equipment/Psionic Probe

The research history of the [mind probe] is a particularly interesting one, for X-corps scientists anyway. After the device was retrieved from the field, and Professor Jeremy Howard confiscated it from the rookie playing with it, research could start.

Final name is "Psionic Probe". No naming of individual characters inside the text, only on fluff texts, also, "confiscated from the rookie playing with it" makes X-Corps sound like a bunch of children playing in a toystore. Careful about the language employed, it is not looking professional, remember this is a scientific report, not a personal letter.

"What? This? It's an alien football - It's mine dude! I found it first! Give it bac- *THUD*" Rookie Johnson, shortly before being subdued by Professor Jeremy Howard.

This is a direct referrence to what I stated above, this is up to be removed as it won't make sense once the other part is corrected.

The device is a blue, dimpled orb the size of a football, as noted by Johnson. Closer analysis showed that the dimples contained psionic receptors, but no matter how hard we tried, none of the X-corps research team could figure out how to use it. So we put it into storage, and began to look into other research projects. That was when the breakthrough came.

Again, no reference of individuals. If they couldn't figure out how to use them, how did they know they were psionic receptors? that makes them sound too natural, while this is the first psionic device they can research. This part sounds like it was a story, it's a scientific report on the properties and functioning of the Psionic Probe, not the story. Also, they put it in storage? when the player hits "research", it's researched, they don't put it in storage and work on other projects, otherwise there would be research progress on other topics.

One of the two storage workers putting the dead-end research projects into storage that night came over all funny while putting the Psionic Probe away. His account follows.

"Well, me and mike were putting the stuff that confused the eggheads into storage, and I made to throw the Alien Football to him, like a basketball pass, and I went all funny. Suddenly, I was mike, if you see what I mean. I could see myself throwing a football at me. At that point I got all confused, and I was me again. Mike didn't have a clue what happened."

Peter Stone, Storage worker.

Don't make them sound like actual kids, we do have fluffs that border stupidity (something some people don't agree with), but they serve the purpose of being funny, but you're integrating the stupidity of the people in the fluffs into the text, don't. The part before the fluff is telling a story, this is a report.

The researchers picked up the trail again, and discovered a fair amount about the Psionic Probe.

Again.

As most scientists know, every living thing emits brainwaves. The Psionic Probe's multiple psionic receptors pick up these brainwaves and store them within its orbic shape. The device is hollow, and the brainwaves are reflected internally. Once enough brainwaves have been accumulated within, brainwaves of the same signature (from the same individual) begin to collect in the shell of the device. Upon contact with skin from a sentient being, the brainwaves will enter the host brain through the neural system.

Hmmm, I think we don't "emit" brainwaves, I could be wrong, but the emitting part makes us sound like antennas. I still don't know where did the psionic receptors came from, how did they know? also, if the orb is hollow, how does it store brainwaves? I think you're making brainwaves sound too much like radio emissions, and there is a coherency problem I'll explain later.

The end result is that the host can feel certain things through the recieved brainwaves about the individual that produced them. This may include morale, pain, Limited vision, a couple of memories, and knowledge of limitations. Practically, the Psionic Probe can be used to identify an alien's race, rank, armament, state of injury, psionic skill and resistance, morale, stamina, fatigue and other information about them, simply by grasping this orb and concentrating on the target. However, the device is large, cumbersome, and sometimes difficult to use.

I think you can identify the race when you have to walk up to it and use it close range :) and I dont think you can check vision. Don't recite the skills as if you were reading a list, in RL we don't have skills on a paper, so don't talk about them as if they were listed somewhere as part of a "character sheet". "Cumbersome"? I think the probe is light-weight and small.

"This thing is gnarly! I stole one out of the stores and used it to spy on Helen Parkinson for a whole week!"

Rookie Brown, in his field report on the Psionic Probe, shortly before his court-martial and expulsion on charges of voyeurism.

It does not give vision, you have to be very near to use it, and why would the rookie say in his "field" report that he was spying on someone? this fluff is not appropiate.

You don't seem to have used any of the parts of the text written by Kamikazee, I suggest you take it as a base, as this text really needs to be rewritten from scratch, also, I had told you to read Psionic Amplifier and Psionic Theory, please do it, the text has to be coherent. This is the first psionic device they are ever going to find, keep that in mind, I don't know if we are going to make it a requirement for Psionic Training Facility, but we might.

I think that perhaps "[...]confiscated it from a very confused Rookie attempting to break it open[...]" would work better. Playing with it does sound like children, and these are fully grown and intelligent men(at least they should be)

• 3 weeks later...

Latest draft:

-----------

PSIONIC PROBE

This unusual orb-like alien device is an extremely complex arrangement of alien micro-processors and circuitry. After extensive research it is clear that this device is some form of alien communication device which utilizes brainwaves to relay information. The metallic outer layer has many microscopic dimples to increase the surface area, acting like an antenna to intercept as many brainwaves as possible. While the amazingly complex micro-supercomputer inside converts the waves so that they are compatible with the users brain, relaying the message directly to the users mind, instantly and with an accuracy of over 99%. In short, it picks up brainwaves and converts one format of brainwave into the user’s format, this allows communication between different species with different brain structures. Fortunately, due to our brains similarity to some alien races the [Mind Probe] can be used by [X-Corp] units in combat situations. Unfortunately, due to the complexity of the semi hieroglyphic alien language our scientists are as yet unable to decipher a single word and to learn would be near impossible. Therefore, its use is restricted to emotions intercepted from the target, such as morale, physical status, any equipment they are carrying along with an assortment of statistics about the targets condition and rank. This is a very complex but useful piece of technology, that has great use on a battle scene, but it is not without its limits. Firstly, the user must be in visual contact of the target and secondly, the device takes quite a bit of time to use due to its cumbersome design, size and its minimal compatibility with the human mind.

well azrael, since you are on, i am asking for authority to steal this and digest it and absorb it into my bloodstream. I only have a few more hours tonight before i have to go to bed, and tomorrow is school

• 10 months later...

Hi everybody. I started writing for the Psionic probe because BUGS said the task was "Waiting for asignee" but I guess there has allready been some work done on it, I didn't realize that until I was almost done. So my scientific explanation might be different, or maybe it's possible to integrate these two versions.

(The psionic probe allows one intelligent organism to read the mind of another and get a sense of its skills abilities, personality and physical condition.)

One of the first alien artifacts to be retrieved by X-Corps operatives was the Psionic Probe. This alien tool is concrete evidence that the alien invaders have developed psionic powers, and technology to access and supplement those powers. Fortunately human brains are similar enough to alien brains, so the probes are entirely cross-platform so to speak.

Finding out the probe's function was a difficult task. The first step was to disassemble it carefully, ensuring that nothing inside was damaged. The probe consists of a metallic sphere, with some fairly simple circuitry inside of it, including an interesting compression detector. The only oddities are the small Xenium power generator, a highly sensitive psionic signal interpreter, and a low-power psionic wave emitter.

The Psionic Probe's components work much like magnetic resonance imaging, except instead of interpreting signals from separate regions of the brain, it interprets the brain's overall condition. The probe's highly sensitive signal receptor which uses the outer metallic sphere as an antenna picks up brain waves, from any particular direction and retransmits them in all directions using its transponder.

The high-energy waves are able to travel over .2 - .5 metres much further than natural brainwaves. Thus anyone who's brain is close to the probe will experience the world as if they were the subject being probed. The entire process lasts only 17 milliseconds, but volunteers have learned to interpret the sensation as early as on the third attempt.

To select the subject and activate the probe one must give it a gentle squeeze while imagining the exact distance and direction of the organism they wish to probe. The most intricate part of the probe is the computer that interprets the users brain to obtain this information. It seems as if the aliens have done plenty of work in the field of psionics, as they have written a highly efficient algorithm to enumerate the waves dealing with coordination, something that human technology is only beginning to explore.

Very little experience in psionics or understanding of psionic interaction is required, any intelligent person can learn to use the psionic probe after receiving only minutes of instruction. It is not known what purpose the psionic probe serves for the aliens. One of the theories is that targets for abductions could be selected using the probe. But aliens may have other purposes for it.

This device could be used by humans to gain an advantage over others, but no great threat is presented by the device. Unusual personalities such as that of a spy could be detected using the probe, but there is no room for great profit in the utilization of this device. Nevertheless many people would give up large sums of money to get their hands on the device, since it can be used to communicate feelings as long as both parties are concentrating.

"No... No, no, no. I am never dating men again." - Agent Tonida's psychiatric evaluation after volunteering to test the Psionic Probe

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I was quite busy, and I guess I expected you to come forward with a fraft combining the two texts... :) Please make sure your explanation can coexist with the texts for psionic theory and psi amp.

Let me seee... :Coffee:

(The psionic probe allows one intelligent organism to read the mind of another and get a sense of its skills abilities, personality and physical condition.) What is this meant for? is it in the text?

PSIONIC PROBE

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Equipment/Psionic Probe

One of the first alien artifacts to be retrieved by X-Corps operatives was the Psionic Probe. dangerous. The player may recover the probe very late in the game. This alien tool is concrete evidence that the alien invaders have developed psionic powers , and technology to access and supplement those powers. Not all Aliens do have psi powers and the last part with the developed powers and technology reads a bit odd in my... uhm... eyes. suggested rephrasing: This alien device supports our hypothesis that at least some of the alien invaders have psionic powers and developed means to access and suppllement these powers. Fortunately human brains are similar enough to alien brains, so the probes are entirely cross-platform so to speak. haha, good one. :D Maybe explain it a bit more. Maybe concentrate on the brainwave patterns. "Fortunatly human brain waves seem to be similar enough..."

Finding out the probe's function was a difficult task. The first step was to disassemble it carefully, ensuring that nothing inside was damaged. Maybe leave that sentence out. It suggests that it is something special, but how else should one reverse engineer than by taking it apart? ;) The probe consists of a metallic sphere, with some fairly simple circuitry inside of it, including an interesting compression detector. What the heck is an compression detector?Please expalain :) The only oddities are the small Xenium power generator, a highly sensitive psionic signal interpreter remember, X-Corps scientists work on this kind of technique the first time, and I'm sure htere is no label saying: "odd psionic signal interpreter" :) So maybe use sentences like "we ware able to determine the function of some of these parts. One seems to be sensitive to brainwaves... blablabla you get the point." :) , and a low-power psionic wave emitter.

The Psionic Probe's components work much like magnetic resonance imaging, except instead of interpreting signals from separate regions of the brain, it interprets the brain's overall condition. The probe's highly sensitive signal receptor which uses the outer metallic sphere as an antenna picks up brain waves, from any particular direction and retransmits them in all directions using its transponder. How exactly is this working? I suggest a read of the psi amp CT.

The high-energy waves are able to travel over .2 - .5 metres much further than natural brainwaves. Thus anyone who's brain is close to the probe will experience the world as if they were the subject being probed. The entire process lasts only 17 milliseconds, but volunteers have learned to interpret the sensation as early as on the third attempt.

To select the subject and activate the probe one must give it a gentle squeeze while imagining the exact distance and direction of the organism they wish to probe. The most intricate part of the probe is the computer that interprets the users brain to obtain this information. It seems as if the aliens have done plenty of work in the field of psionics, as they have written a highly efficient algorithm to enumerate the waves dealing with coordination, something that human technology is only beginning to explore.

Very little experience in psionics or understanding of psionic interaction is required, any intelligent person can learn to use the psionic probe after receiving only minutes of instruction. If I'm not mistaken psi training is necessary to use the probe, isn't it? It is not known what purpose the psionic probe serves for the aliens. One of the theories is that targets for abductions could be selected using the probe. But aliens may have other purposes for it. like? I think they could use it just as we do.

This device could be used by humans to gain an advantage over others, but no great threat is presented by the device. Unusual personalities such as that of a spy could be detected using the probe, but there is no room for great profit in the utilization of this device. Nevertheless many people would give up large sums of money to get their hands on the device, since it can be used to communicate feelings as long as both parties are concentrating. I think the last part is nothing of use for X-Corps. i don't think they care much about the morality issues... So maybe leave it out.

"No... No, no, no. I am never dating men again." - Agent Tonida's psychiatric evaluation after volunteering to test the Psionic Probe

Since this is the first draft I haven't made too deep changes; try to ig out the other psi texts and try to make it consitent with them. Maybe try to incorporate the old text as well. Nevertheless, good draft! :)

Very little experience in psionics or understanding of psionic interaction is required, any intelligent person can learn to use the psionic probe after receiving only minutes of instruction. If I'm not mistaken psi training is necessary to use the probe, isn't it? It is not known what purpose the psionic probe serves for the aliens. One of the theories is that targets for abductions could be selected using the probe. But aliens may have other purposes for it. like? I think they could use it just as we do.

At least in the original game, the probe can be used without any psionic training. (If you think about it, every alien race can have a probe in combat and since some races are without psi, it only stands to reason that soldiers can handle it just fine as well). Basically, all the probe does is read the stats of the unit in question and then either

1. displays the info or
  2. transmits the data via neural waves directly into the brain of the user.

The second scenario is probably the best for us as the text already incorporates this theory. :wink1:

As for what the aliens use it for, it is the same as what humans use it for: information on current stats, rank, etc. Though, in the original game the aliens never used it - they already knew everyones stats/locations from the very first round. Cheaters. :D

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

• 7 months later...

Okays, Keep hitting a brick wall every time I try to continue on with this one. Any and all help will be muchly appreciated.... Extremely rough draft but as i said.. pretty stuck...

Tried to explain how the probe works... sorta :)

Also, does the probe have a screen of some sort and an interface or does it interact directly with the mind, I assumed not because everyone (psionically skilled or not) could use one.

Advanced quantum physics

Idea is every body/thing sends out positive and negative waves that attracts and reject all the good and bad things in life. Psionic Probe seems to work on advanced quantum phsyics theories, Every living being is resonating their own information, desires, fears, hopes, and thoughts. The psionic mind warp thingey is not only able to pick all of these things up, it is able to filter out all other garbled “traffic” and fine tune to each persons waves. It can read and process what the being is thinking, feeling and wanting.

Psionic Probe

The Psionic Probe works on what can best describe as our most advanced quantum physics theories. The mind is continually sending out signals to the world in the form of waves of your thoughts, feelings, state of mind, body and health, everything you are conscious about and most subconscious things too. The waves are created. in the central neural system and as they travel through the cerebral cortex “thought wave” is amplified, sending it outwards. These waves function on the atomic and sub atomic levels. Many “happy go lucky”theorists have theorised that for years these waves were of a positive and negative charge, each in direct relation to the thought.

The Psionic Probe uses extremely minute amounts of stimulated/charged Xenium 122 (Takes one xenium to manufacture) which attracts these "thought" waves towards the centre of the charged probe. When the waves hit the outermost layer of the Psionic probe, they are absorbed into the very fibres of the alloy used to create it. The millions of nano-fibres take an impression of the waves and begin repeatedly sending the image of the wave towards the centre of the Probe. It is believed each layer reads a different aspect of the thought wave before the wave image is passed on.

Several layers have been mapped with the following information being gleaned

1st Layer takes the imprint of the wave an stores it in a memory bank. Intervals that last nano-seconds separate each individual repetition of waves.

The second layer of the probe reads the overall polarity of the wave, giving us a rough outline of whether the thought was of a positive nature or negative. The third layer reads the amount of charge the wave had, eg: if the thought was an extremely strong charge in with a positive polarity then one can gather from the information retrieved from the first two layers that the being is in high spirit and confidence(explains morale)

The 7th layer of the probe seems to deal with the physical state of being from the creator of the neural wave. This level appears to differentiate the difference between a potentially fatal wound like that of internal bleeding and a less serious wound like that of a broken bone. Extremely accurate, this layer also seems to tell us how much more pain the subject can take. (health)

The 9th and 10th level have been mapped and are believed to deal with the conscious thoughts of the subject. When the subject was wearing plain clothes, the layers picked up quite clearly that he felt minimally protected. When wearing a reinforced burn resistant kevlar jacket the layer made a distinctive distinguishment between the two objects worn and the subject felt alot more prtected. (Armour)

So ya. stuck... Dont know where to go but Ive seen some CT that started really really small and have evolved soo much so waiting patiently for help, direction and ideas.

Chur

AHhhh my bad... me = big boo boo.

Edited by Davo

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Davo! I was hoping you could maybe try to make one new draft out of yours and the old one? (Actually I think that's what everyone is waiting for here... ;) )

Or do you still need comments on your draft?

Edited by Mad

Hey Davo! I was hoping you could maybe try to make one new draft out of yours and the old one? (Actually I think that's what everyone is waiting for here... ;) )

Or do you still need comments on your draft?

Hahaha, i figured as much and have been chipping away at it slowly, almost done now actually, but ill post an update soon, :P Gimme another day or two and ill stick it up

Cheers

Okay, a couple of things, I cant get the link to psionic theory working, it keeps coming up woth this page is unavailable... bla bla bla.... so couldnt really tie it into that.

And when ever I tried to pm you mad (in the last.. hour maybe) it kept coming up with a blank page with this "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 233472 bytes) in /data/www/xcomufo.com/www/htdocs/forums/sources/ipsclass.php(1464) : eval()'d code on line 563" at the top of it. So boo to pm'ing you and asking you to send me to the psionic theory.

Otherwise, just finished work an hour or two ago and dont have to work tomorrow so i thought id try and get a bit more done. As it stands, this is what I have so far. I have tried to incorporate the ideas of kamikazze, az and brick to face... but it was never going to all work out so tried to mesh them all together and go that way. The following happened...

1)realized you do not need psi training for the psionic probe

2)its going to be hard to do without reference to the psionic theory

But effectively, it could be done so that it was entirely mechanical as it did not require any psionic training. SO gave it a shot, crit away and lets see if we can make this baby somehow work,

The brain is made up of billions of cells which are called neurons. These cells use electricity to send various signals through out the brain and body. The combination of millions of neurons sending signals at once produces enourmous amounts of electrical activity in the brain which we refer to as brainwaves. Our technology so far has allowed us to pick up these readings by using sensitive magnetic resonance imaging(MRI) devices and electroencephalograms(EEG).

The Aliens have not only been able to go one step further in mapping this electrical activity, they have also managed to create a device which can obtain the information from a distance, using a round hand held device that we call a Psionic Probe.

The probe consists of a hard metallic outer casing, with an extremely complex system of alien micro-processors and circuitory on the interior. Although we can not comprehend exactly how this piece of technology works, we have figured out what certain parts of the ciructory system do and we have a basic undestanding of how the probe works.

The probe works by targetting a small portion of space and reads all electronic actvity in that area. Somehow the alien technology then distinguishes between neural activity and that of other electrical interferance. We assume that the activity is then matched against a memory bank of some sort to determine what the neural system is transmitting, before the information is then sent out once again to the subject in the form of stimulating waves. The subjects brain is stimulated by these waves in such a way that the user can see/feel these thoughts.

Powered by a small Xenium reactor, the probe uses an immense amount of power when in operation. The power flows to some form of amplifier which is what seems to pick up the electrical activity. The complex circutory seems to lead to some form of memory bank which we can replicate but try as we may we cannot decipher. Here the electrical activity previously picked up seems to be filtered and the neural activity is then “mapped”.

The information is then passed to what seems to be mini amplifier of sorts. The information is changed into what we believe to be some form of stimulation waves which are then amplified to the user. These waves stimulate the subjects own neural system in a way which replicates the original subjects neural activity, thus the user of the probe can obtain all kinds of information about the intended subjects thoughts, feelings and actions.

One side effect from the probes use is that when the stimulating waves are sent out, they seem to travel up to half a metre away from the probe in all directions. Thus anyone who's brain is close enough to be affected by the stimulating waves can experience the intended subjects neural activity The entire process lasts only 17 milliseconds, but test subjects have learned to interpret the sensations as early as on the third attempt.

This device could be used quite effectively in determening the status and wellbeing of enemy combatants, but does not seem to pose a great threat against humanity by itself.

"No... No, no, no. I am never dating men again." - Agent Tonida's psychiatric evaluation after volunteering

*EDIT* oh ya, and did a bit of research and i'm pretty sure it is all scientifically, correct. EEG are the electrodes you see hanging off peoples heads, and our brains elecro activity has been recorded and seen to have been stimulated by other forms of waves eg sound, light and vibrations

Edited by Davo

Okay, a couple of things, I cant get the link to psionic theory working, it keeps coming up woth this page is unavailable... bla bla bla.... so couldnt really tie it into that.

It is in completed which probably means it is an area recruits can't access. Anyhow, see below. I have included the text. :)

And when ever I tried to pm you mad (in the last.. hour maybe) it kept coming up with a blank page with this "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 233472 bytes) in /data/www/xcomufo.com/www/htdocs/forums/sources/ipsclass.php(1464) : eval()'d code on line 563" at the top of it. So boo to pm'ing you and asking you to send me to the psionic theory.

The PM system should now be working. It was just a glitch. =b

- Zombie

[Psionic Theory]

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Research/Psionic Theory

After initial encounters with several psionically-capable Alien entities, we began to realize that fanciful tales of telepathy and amazing mental feats were perhaps not as far-fetched as originally thought. Soldiers in the field have made distressing reports of Aliens being “in their head” and field commanders have begun making contingency plans should their soldiers fall inexplicably under Alien control. Fortunately, our scientists have finally pieced together a working [Psionic Theory] to bolster our understanding of this paranormal ability, and hopefully, our capacity to counter it. Under this theory, the two primary measures of psionic competence are psi potential and psi skill, the former determining the brute strength of the individual's will, the latter determining how effectively the individual can command it. Though psi potential is immutable, psi skill can be trained in dedicated facilities.

[Psionic Theory] has been quite different from other research topics in at least two respects. Though most research is conducted on Alien specimens and artifacts to further our understanding of them, [Psionic Theory] instead gave us the opportunity to better appreciate and comprehend our own nature.

Also, unlike other research we have conducted thus far, our understanding of psionic fields comes from an unusual amount of trial-and-error and good fortune. Our first attempts to understand psionics were utter and complete failures; our scientists just didn't know where to begin- or even how to approach such an ambiguous subject. Without additional clues, our research teams found it difficult to tease out solid details within the psionic disciplines.

Fortuitously, vital hints were uncovered from observations of live, psi-proficient Alien prisoners. In two separate incidents, incarcerated Aliens briefly escaped from confinement, the first due to inadequate security measures, the other due to artifice, with both leading to significant upgrades in containment security. These breakout attempts allowed us to see and monitor the use psionics for the first time.

By scrutinizing environmental and biological data gathered from Xenomorph Holding Facility logs during each incident, we pinpointed deviations in key markers and subsequently devised and launched a series of trial-and-error experiments attempting to replicate these biological and physiological alterations in volunteer test subjects. Although the majority of these tests were inconclusive, several individuals were found to exhibit an unusual affinity for psi-related tasks. By concentrating our remaining efforts on these candidates, our researchers slowly began to understand basic psionic mechanics.

According to our studies, psionic fields (more popularly called "brain-waves" by base personnel) are normally a byproduct of neural networks found in sentient creatures. However, we have discovered that it is actually possible to force feedback into a neural network with a strong enough psionic field. The actual process by which one sentient creature psionically influences another is similar in principle to magnetic induction: an electrical current can be induced by the presence of a magnetic field; correspondingly, a neural impulse can be induced by the presence of a psionic field. By focusing and wielding his/her psionic field, a psionicist can subtly influence the neural chemistry of the target, causing a result ranging from no effect to total mind control. The severity of such a mental assault depends on the psionic field strength generated by the assailant and how effectively it is wielded, as well as the psionic field strength of the resisting target.

As mentioned earlier, we concluded that there are two main indexes for psionic ability: psi potential and psi skill. These indexes are scored on an arbitrary scale from 0-100, with zero denoting virtually no ability and 100 denoting the most extreme cases observed. Due to the somewhat capricious nature of the scale, it may be possible to obtain scores above 100.

Psi potential is an assessment of the psionic field strength of an individual. We suspect that psi potential is hereditary, but we currently lack the time and resources to confirm this hypothesis. High psi potential scores indicate a natural talent for psionics, and individuals possessing them are capable of both generating potent psionic impulses as well as shielding themselves from them. Despite the fact that psionic abilities are generally latent in human populations, psi potential appears to subtly manifest itself unconsciously when people “project” their moods. Those exhibiting such keen mental acuities can become, with training, among our most talented psionic personnel, while those with low psi potential scores will be extremely susceptible to malicious psionic intents.

Psi skill, on the other hand, measures the proficiency of an individual wielding psionic powers. Unlike psi potential, psi skill can be increased through rigorous discipline and training; however, because humans have no prior experience with psionics, our base personnel are all initially rated with a psi skill of zero. Theoretically, the difference between low and high psi skill scores is akin to wielding a fuzzy blanket versus a surgical scalpel- the difference between projecting a diffuse mood to those in the vicinity and a sharp precise strike against a sole target. Thus, the ability to control psionic intent is much like focusing one’s attention, but with the relatively short attention spans humans possess, strict discipline is necessary during psionic training. Because our scientists’ makeshift research devices are not adequate for scientifically assessing and quantitating the psionic indexes of our base personnel- and even less so for screening and training them- plans for a new state-of-the-art Psionic Training Facility have been drawn up and finalized to accommodate these express purposes.

Currently, our ability to use psionics as a weapon has been hindered by the abysmal ranges of human-generated psionic fields, regardless of their strength. Perhaps if psionic awareness and training regimens were enforced during the formative years immediately following birth, humans might fully harness their psionic capabilities; unfortunately for the X-Corps, we just do not have the time to raise specially selected psionically-apt children for our immediate and pressing conflict against the Aliens. We must discern a method to expand the “area of influence” covered by human psionic fields before we can wield such mental powers effectively.

Using our existing inroads into [Psionic Theory], our scientists speculate that it might be possible to design a device which will amplify the range of human psionic fields. Our scientists have already begun consolidating relevant data for the blueprints of the anticipated Psionic Amplifier device. They are quite eager for the upper brass to give them the go-ahead for the project.

Our scientists have also contemplated the possibility and feasibility of psionic shielding, but preliminary studies indicate a particularly steep, if not prohibitive, power requirement. Unfortunately, until we discover a manner to amplify psionic fields, such research will remain beyond our scope.

Some personnel have expressed reservations about our research into this field, foreseeing privacy issues and possible discrimination against the less psionically adept. The [X-Corps High Command] is presently implementing strict regulations regarding the usage of psionics in bases.

Man: "Zero?! ZERO?!! Ya stupid pencilneck! Whaddaya mean my friggin' Psi potential is ZERO?! Why, I oughtta..."

Scientist: "Hey, hey, hold on a minute! I'll show you what it means..." (concentrates a moment)

Scientist: "All right squaddie, go steal the commander's uniform and burn it in the mess hall. Don't interrupt my research further."

Man: "...Yes, master."

- taped excerpt from an inquiry regarding Private Russell Harris’ recent discharge from the X-Corps

• 3 months later...