XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xnet Internet

stewart

I'm thinking that Xnet in Geoscape be a full internet simulation. Drawing data from the game as it plays to create web content which could be "searched" with hyper linking; the whole nine yards.

So you want to redesign the current X-Net? Maybe that's a good idea, RK once mentioned that we might have to redesign it since the text box is way too small for the size of our texts. The menus are oversized, compared to the size of the textboxes.

Was Xnet intended to be more-or-less like the UFOpaedia but with more detail?

Well, I think so. In the original thoughts. But some more "sites" wouldn't harm. But what would you want to stick there? Sth. like press articles might be interesting. But I'm a bit worried. Isn't that all going to grow over out heads? I mean, we haven't even finished all "ufopedia" entrys yet. On the other hand... it's just pretty fascinating :)

Was Xnet intended to be more-or-less like the UFOpaedia but with more detail?

Well, I think so. In the original thoughts. But some more "sites" wouldn't harm. But what would you want to stick there? Sth. like press articles might be interesting. But I'm a bit worried. Isn't that all going to grow over out heads? I mean, we haven't even finished all "ufopedia" entrys yet. On the other hand... it's just pretty fascinating :)

We are going to have plenty of time, this, although interesting, is not a priority, we can just start discussing it and fleshing it out, but we have to finish the basic texts before really diving into this :)

About press, I think that's a must, maybe even weekly (or daily :naughty:) newspaper articles, and as Stew suggested to me earlier, not all have to be about Aliens, they can just be about regular world events, sports, weather, it will greatly help make the game more immersing, think Interceptor (if you played it) newspaper.

About press, I think that's a must, maybe even weekly (or daily :naughty:) newspaper articles, and as Stew suggested to me earlier, not all have to be about Aliens, they can just be about regular world events, sports, weather, it will greatly help make the game more immersing, think Interceptor (if you played it) newspaper.

I played, and yes, that would be nice! :)

As I told AZ my yardstick for success is you become so involved surfing the fake internet you forget to play Xenocide.

Wow... But how? we would need that much information for it!

As I told AZ my yardstick for success is you become so involved surfing the fake internet you forget to play Xenocide.

Who says we can't get enough? :naughty:

Remember we CTD are most likely going to finish way before V1 gets released, way before the rest of the departments, are you planning to just sit back and watch? we'll be making new articles, many, many articles B) (if we manage to get this thing into Xenocide, that is)

Remember we CTD are most likely going to finish way before V1 gets released, way before the rest of the departments, are you planning to just sit back and watch? we'll be making new articles, many, many articles B) (if we manage to get this thing into Xenocide, that is)

Yap. You got a point there. Well, I think we would need a programmer some day to code these things and tell us if it is possible at all...

Yap. You got a point there. Well, I think we would need a programmer some day to code these things and tell us if it is possible at all...

Yep, that's why we first have to flesh out the concept, maybe get some art concept to present too, so we come to the programmers with something more than just an idea :)

Yep, that's why we first have to flesh out the concept, maybe get some art concept to present too, so we come to the programmers with something more than just an idea :)

So, I think, you two will already have worked this out: What do we want? We want a kind of database program, which works like a browser and you can follow bookmarks to newspapers which are updated regulary by the game (might get boring if you play it for the 2nd time), to X-Corps intranet with the ufopedia and maybe some tactical documents and maybe some sonspiracy sites (would be great :) ). Is it like this?

Basically on your PC we'd have a folder that we'd just keep generating and dumping files to. We can have a cache of "starter" files that we put finishing touches of information on. The final form gets copied to the "live and online" folder which is accessible to our "browser" and hyperlinking

Anythings possible, what matters is how much work it is, how fast is it, and how much space does it take.

Basically on your PC we'd have a folder that we'd just keep generating and dumping files to.  We can have a cache of "starter" files that we put finishing touches of information on.  The final form gets copied to the "live and online" folder which is accessible to our "browser" and hyperlinking

Oh, no, sry, you got me wrong here. How are we gonna make it? I don't think it's a problem of the technical side. The problem is that I was just overwhelmed with the amount of CTs that need to be written for such a thing. We might want to speed up our working pace...

Basically on your PC we'd have a folder that we'd just keep generating and dumping files to. We can have a cache of "starter" files that we put finishing touches of information on. The final form gets copied to the "live and online" folder which is accessible to our "browser" and hyperlinking

Anythings possible, what matters is how much work it is, how fast is it, and how much space does it take.

Basically, if I understand Stewart correctly, he'd be happy if we just integrated an internet browser in the Xnet that'd really search the entire internet :D

Barring that though, just what are we going to add? Luckily CTD department has loads of time on their hands to write at will, that'll help :)

Some government/UN sites would be a nice thing to add, categorically denying the existance of aliens and the existance of an international combat unit to fight those aliens. Until they're taken over, that is, then they're suddenly praising the aliens as saviours :)

Additionally they can inform you about upcoming elections, rising conflicts etc., anything that could have an effect on your funding. Just for immersion of course, there's nothing you can do about it so checking them is not mandatory, just adds to the game.

If anyone can remember JA2, that's a game that had a pretty good internet added to it: you could order weapons, get insurances, flowers for the queen ;) , scout reports on your email and more, and that worked nicely.

OTOH, newspaper style reports are fun for so long as they're fresh. So in order to keep those interesting we'd have to get a lot, and make them appear depending on actual events, with some random things thrown in.