XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xcomutil Drops To Windows Between 'scape Changes

jclloydy

Hello. I'm using the CE version of UFO Defense and latest XcomUtil.

Whenever I enter a battlescape or leave one (i.e ended a mission) the game drops back to desktop with only the RunXcomW file running.

However, I can press 'ctrl+c' and the game pops back up.

I love the features XcomUtil has, but this can get mildy irritating.

Any solutions?

It happens with or without the F0dder loader. I usually use the Geocape Time patch.

Any help much appreciated (please don't 'refer to this thread' as they all seem broken.)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm getting this issue too, doesn't bother me too much though. I didn't know about that CTRL+C thing fixing it, but if you do a CTRL+ALT+DEL and go to the Processes tab, end the process called xcopy.exe and the game will pop right up.

There was a message posted somewhere that Xcopy was actually waiting for confirmation. Since it wasn't getting it, it wasn't ending. The way to fix this was to open up runxcom.bat (or runxcomw.bat) and modify each and every line that has XCOPY in it. *.bat files are just plain text files. You can open them in a plain text editor like MS-Edit or MS-Notepad, or even Word (just remember to save as plain text).

All you needed to do was add /Y on each line with XCOPY in it to skip the confirmation. Or, actually, you could override all of the XCOPY's by adding SET COPYCMD = /Y to the very start of the batch file, before anything else.

If anyone with this problem would kindly test this out and report back if it's working, that'd be great.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Well, I opened up the .bat files in Notepad, and tested out a few of your suggestions, and here're the results:

Test: Added set copycmd = /y at the top of runxcom.bat

Result: Problem remains

Test: Added set copycmd = /y at the top of RunXcomW.bat

Test: Added set copycmd = /y at the top of both runxcom.bat and RunXcomW.bat

Test: Added /y to the end of every line containing xcopy in runxcom.bat

Test: Added /y to the end of every line containing xcopy in RunXcomW.bat

On a hunch:

Test: Added set xcopycmd = /y at the top of runxcom.bat

Test: Added set xcopycmd = /y at the top of RunXcomW.bat

Test: Added set xcopycmd = /y at the top of both runxcom.bat and RunXcomW.bat

Sorry NKF, your fix doesn't appear to be working for me...although I'm testing it on saved files which are already in Tactical mode, might this alter things?

It was probably to solve some other similar problem then. Hmm. Or I might be suggesting the wrong command switch? You can check the various switches by running XCOPY /? at the command prompt.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...
I had a similar problem running the DOS version in dosemu, which I solved thanks to the hints given here :D . In addition to sticking /Y on the end of each xcopy command in runxcom.bat I had to delete the >nul that was there to get things to work though. Maybe that will work for you too.

• 1 month later...
It was probably to solve some other similar problem then. Hmm. Or I might be suggesting the wrong command switch? You can check the various switches by running XCOPY /? at the command prompt.

- NKF

Yer a genius!

It works beautifully.

• 3 months later...
Yer a genius!

It works beautifully.

First of all let me apologize for my miserable school-english, but this thread here helped me pretty much in solving my problems with this game under WinXP SP II. The trick is not simply to add /Y behind all command lines in which xcopy is mentioned, but to add the /Y tag right before the >nul part in these lines. Otherwise the game copies about 38 files each and every time you skip from the battlefield to the geoscape or the other way round. So finally you've got probably four lines like this:

xcopy missdat xcubef /Y >nul

And that rocks! :D

• 6 months later...
Yer a genius!

It works beautifully.

First of all let me apologize for my miserable school-english, but this thread here helped me pretty much in solving my problems with this game under WinXP SP II. The trick is not simply to add /Y behind all command lines in which xcopy is mentioned, but to add the /Y tag right before the >nul part in these lines. Otherwise the game copies about 38 files each and every time you skip from the battlefield to the geoscape or the other way round. So finally you've got probably four lines like this:

xcopy missdat xcubef /Y >nul

And that rocks! :D

ROFL WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII! IT WORKED!!!!

THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS!

Thanks you very much!

Now I can continue playing! BTW this game modification ROCKS! Thanks Scott T Jones and BladeFireLight for this INCREDIBLE AWESOME GAME MODIFICATION!

I'm so happy! thank you all of you!

• 2 weeks later...
Does any one know what version of windows have xcopy that require the /y and what versions that don't?

I believe XP, 2000, 2003, and vista do. I'm not sure about ME, but I'm sure DOS 95 and 98 don't.

That sounds right for unmodded installs (have verified: DOS, Win95, W2K).

The COPYCMD variable can override the defaults, however. There should be no harm to explicitly specifying /Y regardless, although there does seem to be some dissent on where the best place for it is. [i've put /Y at the front, but there's at least one configuration out there that needs it right before the > nul ]

The >Nul is just there to pipe the text output of the program to another source. In this case, nowhere, so no text is displayed on the console. It should be at the very end of any line, so I'd recommend putting the /Y before it, or else XCOPY won't even see the switch.

- NKF