XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Should We Add RTS?

Judge_Deadd

I love some turnbased games and i do think that v1.0 should be TB and i will play that when it is in beta or full v1.0. but, there are many, many RTS games out there and i for one would like the option to play x-com as an RTS, you dont need to if you dont want to, i'm not asking you to and i dont think that any of the RTS players would but please, give the player the choice in post V1.0 xenocide :rock:

Haven't played Apocalypse? What an RTS...

Anyways, in V1+ it will be RTS/TB, this is not official, but worry not, I will see to it.

RTS = Real Time Strategy

Think warcraft & starcraft, and if you haven't played those you should go do it now.

This genre is almost characterized primarily by heavy emphasis on resource management, tech trees, and "battle of the bulge" type battles where whoever has the most units win. Xcom is already sort of like a real time strategy game in its worldscape mode but I would not classify it as such because of the lack of strategy from the aliens, and the battlescape has no production or resource gathering at all so I would be quick to point out that it is not and should not be a RTS. Maybe I'm nitpicking here but I would prefer the term RTT (real time tactical) because it is much more descriptive of the emphasis of Xcom, which is the tactical decisions of the squad.

• 10 months later...
[...]STB?

Steal the bacon? Short turn based? Just guessing :P

STB = Simultaneous Turn-Based, i think. it's still turn-based movement, though turns for each side happens at the same time (so aliens can move/attack while you move/attack, though only as far as TUs let them on this turn).

i've seen it done on a strategy game and i found it really frustrating, computer kept moving his units away from mine when i tried to attack them <_>

If we plan to have huge maps then RTS/tb hybrid would be nice... Until you see an enemy its RTS when you see an enemy its TB.... danm i forgot the name of that game... what was it... its like commandos... its 3d came out recently...

would make the hunt for that last sectoid alot more fun... *shakes fist at farm houses*

Edited by Shinzon

Need I make a third post advocating the qualities of RTS?? It simply was the best way to play Apoc. For one thing, your guys didn't always die the second they saw an alien - which I thought was patently ridiculous. Though, as already been said, definitely v1+, which I agree with because XCOM 1 was TB only.

PS: Az, we actually AGREE on something?? LOL

Well, we both agree I'm the smarter, don't we? :P

In UFO: Aftermath they called the system SAS, for Simultaneous Action System, it's true that it's not precisely real time, since you can pause and plot actions, whatever it is called, we *have* to implement it someday, we just must!

If we plan to have huge maps then RTS/tb hybrid would be nice... Until you see an enemy its RTS when you see an enemy its TB.... danm i forgot the name of that game... what was it... its like commandos... its 3d came out recently...

would make the hunt for that last sectoid alot more fun... *shakes fist at farm houses*

jagged alliance? i agree, that'd make exploring a lot faster and combat would remain turn-based.

Anyone who has played Los Grognards, Combat Mission, TacOps or a few other Battlefront titles would be familiar with WE-GO. In WE-GO both sides plan their moves for the next amount of time and then let the simulation run simultaneously. Of course I have never seen it simulated where you controlled individual men However it would allow these kinds of options, similair to how RB6 allows you to plan out entire missions(although it would be turns for you):

1) Go-Codes that can be triggered by certain conditions.

2) Clearing room commands.

3) Easier to simulate suppresion and fire zones.

4) Soldier SOPs that would determine how they respond to events.

5) Having sectors to be watched or patrolled during combat.

Plus you could conceptualize a battle much easier as it went along. If implemented correctly, it may even make managing large numbers of soldiers easier, especially if they drop the super-unrealistic top FOW in favor of grayed out maps. For the amount of time per turn, I would guess 10 seconds is about right, since a lot can happen in 10 seconds.