XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Laser Defense Array

Hey all. Here's my try for the LASER defense facility.

I tried to follow the lead from the laser concept but I'd like some points from the guys who designed the whole thing :)

Anyway, the flavor is a tribute to Facehugger's laser hero :wave: but It could be improved.

---

.RTF File at the bottom of this post contains the LATEST VERSION, IT IS NOT REFLECTED IN THE TEXT BENEATH THIS LINE -------------

Laser Defense

As this war unfolds, it becomes apparent that even state of the art conventional weapons have only limited effect upon the Alien technology. Undeniable proof is the recent razing of the [name anyone?] military installation which was considered to be one of the most well protected bases in Earth. This has further stressed that fact that even though we may be making progress in our struggle, once the aliens pass into a serious offensive, we will find our bases lacking the necessary defensive firepower to resist.

Fortunately, recent developments in the LASER technology have given us a foothold with which to design a base defense facility that provides firepower of a magnitude never seen before.

Having surpassed recent overcharge and focus problems, the research department has provided us with the blueprints for the construction of a LASER based aerial defense and countermeasure mechanism. That, combined with a modified GP-02 turret platform, that allows for 360 degree rotation within 03 seconds and precision tracking, creates the basis for the Laser Defense LCP-"Phaser" Facility.

The Main Gun includes a Primary Discharge Capacitor and three secondary Build-up Capacitors. The Mechanism works in a 3-phase mode. Once the firing procedure is commenced, a secondary capacitor begins building a charge, within a second the charge is ready and then is "tranferred" to the Primary Capacitor where the Lazing material is stored. The Charge excites the material and merges it into a beam. The beam is then focused through the Amplifier and released at the correct vector. As this procedure is completing, the two other capacitors are also generating a charge, at different phases, so that as soon as the first beam is released, a second charge is "tranferred" to the primary capacitor. This has the effect that once the weapon fires, it releases a constant beam of energy that doesn't overload the Primary Capacitor due to its 3-phase nature (ergo the name "Phaser").

The Platform is also equipped with three low-power lasers that are neuraly linked to the visual system of the controller and track the target by vision. Once they lock into the enemy, they form a triangular path that provides unparallel accuracy. Also, thanks to the speed of the LASER, the pathfinding mechanisms installed are hardly needed except for the fastest of ufos.

The Facility is designed in a way that provides the maximum speed and security. The main weapon platform is mounted in a central block. A corridor runs aound the weapon and is used for maintenance and also acts as a buffer in the case of an explosion. The Weapon controls are placed in a secure console at the end of the room and the cooling and power systems are placed in blast-proof sub-sections to avoid malfunction by enemy splash damage.

The Phaser is considered the be the pinnacle of the human development in the offensive LASER mechanisms and is recommended as a future choice for base defense.

---

"I think I'm in heaven!" - Cpt. Alex Dupont

Update : Some minor changes

Update: Current .rtf Version added

Laser_Defence_Facility.rtf

Edited by RustedSoul

"You are trying to say some kind of beam is more effective than our top notch missiles and without any explosion? You won't convince me!" - missile defense dealer/constructor, Mike Convoy

:wink:

Edited by Nyyperoid

Damn, the whole rush hour went past and not a single reply. I was expecting at least some flames.

Come on, didn't anyone like it or dislike it? I need to have something to do for tomorrow ^_^

I'm warning you, if noone comments on this this I'm going to write up a new x-net entry tomorrow, Bwahahahaahaaaaa :devilburn:

ok...I'll shut up now :crazy:

Yeah, laser is used all the time, you can write it that way rather than all caps. The best known US military base for your razing would be NORAD (which is in all caps).

I like the entry, the capacitor cycle sounds cool. Rather than have the targetting hooked right in to an operator via neural link, what do you think about saying the targetting system is linked directly into the command center (which is the imaginary console the player sits at), allowing remote operation with computer-assisted tracking? I'm not a fan of direct brain connections, but maybe others prefer it?

Well, since you don't actually control the targeting (or is there a chance for an interceptor style base defense? that's be cool :) ) saying that it is controlled by the command center doesn't have any basis and makes the operation room in the facility moot.

Still, I don't have a problem changing the neural link if others don't like it. (However, we've already got it for the interceptors so there is a precedent)

I like it a lot...wow, a ctd I can't complain about? What is the world coming to?

Wait, I found something! The capitalization of nouns! (whew...got worried I was losing my touch).

I know many languages (well, German at least) start general nouns with capital letters. In English, only proper nouns (names) are capitalized. It's just nitpick...the text is great.

-The Captain

Wait, I found something!  The capitalization of nouns!  (whew...got worried I was losing my touch).

I know many languages (well, German at least) start general nouns with capital letters.  In English, only proper nouns (names) are capitalized.  It's just nitpick...the text is great.

Nah, that's just me used to pressing the "shift" at the start of some words. It was a mistake really, not a Greek thing ;)

Anyway, thanks for the thumbs up ^_^

hmmm....

is it just me, or do all the weapon x-nets talk about how the aliens surpass us in every way?

i like it, though it doesnt have any special technology description (arnt needed of cause.)

Edited by mikker

Well, they do surpass us in every way, except our indominatable spirit and inginuity. -_-

well then, this should also reflect how you are doing. It seems odd that if you havnt researched this yet, are almost on your way to mars, and research it, it would seem like a joke. Get it?

I guess you are a Star Trek fan because of the Phaser business. Likely the unit wouldn't have a primary capacitor fed by secondary ones though, you'd just have three primaries each charging directly from their own phase of the three phase power bus. The link to the main laser would be with a large distributer fed from each capacitor giving the "Gatling Laser" or "phaser" effect. Wheras in the real world power is actually distributed in three-phase form but in order to charge the capacitors it would have to be converted to DC first. BTW a lot of cutting edge research in power transmission these days is in DC power transmission, though I'm unfamiliar with the details, appearantly you can get much higher voltages or something like that..

When a large laser fires it makes no noise . . . well not exactly! When the electromagnets in the relay are energized, to close the circuit, it actually goes "CLACK".

"gee wiz H. Christ! I'd a-figgered th'sumbitch's goan soun' like su'm out-a Star Wars. Who'd a-figgered a big friggin' laser'd go "BANG"! - Corporal Beau Hicks at test firing of prototype.

IIRC the electrical energy transported through high-voltage lines is also DC, and several 100.000 volts high (though on a very low amperage)

For the conversion to high-voltage DC one can use some powerful transformers (no, not the robot kind :) ) with a few high capacity diodes and maybe some more things for the advanced AC/DC convertors :)

just noticed:

that provides unparallel accuracy

I think it should be unparallelled :unsure:

Edited by j'ordos

I guess you are a Star Trek fan because of the Phaser business.? Likely the unit wouldn't have a primary capacitor fed by secondary ones though, you'd just have three primaries each charging directly from their own phase of the three phase power bus.? The link to the main laser would be with a large distributer fed from each capacitor giving the "Gatling Laser" or "phaser" effect.? Wheras in the real world power is actually distributed in three-phase form but in order to charge the capacitors it would have to be converted to DC first.? BTW a lot of cutting edge research in power transmission these days is in DC power transmission, though I'm unfamiliar with the details, appearantly you can get much higher voltages or something like that..

When a large laser fires it makes no noise . . .? well not exactly!? When the electromagnets in the relay are energized, to close the circuit, it actually goes "CLACK".

"gee wiz H. Christ! I'd a-figgered th'sumbitch's goan soun' like su'm out-a Star Wars. Who'd a-figgered a big friggin' laser'd go "CLACK"! - Corporal Beau Hicks at test firing of prototype.

Yes, but the fact that there is a primary capacitor means that the secondaries only build a charge and don't create the beam while the primary is responsible just for making the conversion of the lasing material. I don't know how realistic this sounds but I'd thought it'd be kewler :)

Btw, I like Star Trek as much as the next guy, but I'm not what you'd call a Trekkie. The name just fits.

Oh, and I also like your quote better :)

I'll think of something to replace the neural link in Monday. I'll be out of town for the weekend.

Take care and find some time to finish up the other entries too. They're just sitting there :wave:

In the old days it was infact DC. Look at the power transmissions you happen to see around you if you see 3 or 4 cables then its 3 phase-AC (the 4th as a ground).

There would indeed be diodes involved that's correct. As for the transformer, I'm not sure.

With lasers as I recall they shine the light through a ruby or something like that. I think the chrystal structure makes the rays come out straight or maybe squishes it to one frequency but I'm guessing there. I don't know what lasing material is.

As for the quote, I figured if adopting as southern accent wins you acadamy awards, it's got to work here too. :wink:

With lasers as I recall they shine the light through a ruby or something like that.  I think the chrystal structure makes the rays come out straight or maybe squishes it to one frequency but I'm guessing there.  I don't know what lasing material is.

As for the quote, I figured if adopting as southern accent wins you acadamy awards, it's got to work here too. :wink:

Well, it's mentioned in the CTD asset list of the Laser technology so I picked it up to follow the trend. I haven't got the faintest hint what it is :D

NORAD wouldn't work as the destroyed base because it is actually a coooperative air defense network between the canadians and the US. NORAD stands for North American Aerospace Defense Command. As near as I can tell there are three NORAD bases: One in Alaska, one in Canada, and one in the continental US. Here is the official NORAD site if you want to hear what they have to say. Edited by Ancalagon

There would indeed be diodes involved that's correct.  As for the transformer, I'm not sure.

If you want to get as high a voltage as possible you'd better use some transformers :)

Presumeable the step-up transformer would already be located at the power source though.

Go with Cheyenne Mountain. That place is a fortress right out of a James Bond movie (no exageration).

How should I mention it?

Is something like "...The Cheyenne Mountain base was destroyed..." correct?

Btw, I was talking about the lasing material before.

Oooo...my ears are burning! :laser:

The lasing substance is what actually creates the photons that form the laser. The official xenocide lasing substance (carbonyldiimidazol activated silica) was arrived at by finding cool, scientific sounding words in a random web search, and the linking them together. :P

The Laser Tech CTD has a quick rundown of RL laser technology in the first paragraph.

-The Captain

How should I mention it?

Is something like "...The Cheyenne Mountain base was destroyed..." correct?

Btw, I was talking about the lasing material before.

NORAD headquarters at Cheyenne Mountain in Wyoming.

Cheyenne NORAD is in Wyoming? Hmm, I wonder which base is near Colorado Spings then, I thought someone told me it was there... we flew by in a hot air balloon by the air base, and there were plenty of comm towers on the mountain side. If you say it's there, I believe you. :D

So you can say "NORAD's Cheyenne facility" in the text.

We should mention NORAD as one of the agencies that tried to fight the aliens. It would definatley help set up this ctd. Presumably NORAD has many bases throughout Canada, The US and Alaska, so it's not surprising that they would have one in Colorado.

BTW: you spelled carbonyldiimidazol wrong, it is spelled carbonyldiimidazole.

Historian,

Lasing substance has nothing to do with capacitors... The original idea was that in order to power a portable laser strong enough to cause damage would require a energy storage system that can hold enough power in it...

Basically, that means that instead of having to follow the primary- secondary capacitors, you can leave out the part about priamry capacitors... ('sides, in theory, a laser defence facility would be powered by the base power supply right?)

The primary reason I thought about the primary capacitor's existence is to avoid an overcharge.

In almost all the other laser based weapons descriptions there is always a secondary or "buffer" capacitor that serves as a security measure to avoid building an overcharge and malfunctioning/blowing up. This is what the primary capacitor is used for in the laser defense.

The secondary capacitors build up the charge, powered by the base power supply (thus a bigger charge) and then "transfer" it to the primary capacitor, or buffer to be created into a beam.

I don't know if this makes any more sense than usual but I do think it just sounds "kewler" (Hey, it's all technobabble anyway ;) )

Update: New .rtf, check it out. Lotsa changes :)

Edited by Historian

I don't know if the current description is scientifically flawed or not. If it isn't then it seems that it's a matter of personal preferences, right? If that's the case, then I propose this: we can keep the current version and table this text for later discussion. At that time, we can pull it out and those who feel there's a better way to describe it can write up a paragraph for comparison. If there's no clear choice, we can create a poll at that time to choose. I suggest doing this later rather than now so that we can have all the laser CTs done, and any changes that affect each can all be made at the same time. But if everybody would prefer to iron this out now I can create a poll to pick one. If that's the preferred option someone needs to write up a second paragraph for comparison.

That's fine with me. I can always be swayed by the public opinion :master:

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm... Gave it a read through and seems fine to me... For now...

But I love the fluff text:

"gee wiz H. Christ! I'd a-figgered th'sumbitch's goan soun' like su'm out-a Star Wars. Who'd a-figgered a big friggin' laser'd go "CLACK"! - Corporal Beau Hicks at test firing of prototype.

ROTFLMAO :D

Hey, some people cannot read slang like that... I could with lots of care and thinking (even if I have a pretty good knowledge of english language). That kind of things should read easily, please rephrase it without slang.

Greetings

Red Knight

Maybe that's why my repeated refences to the movie Deliverence don't get any chuckles... but it's true, many people here speak english as a second language, and even fewer live in north america where they would understand the sterotyped humor of a southern, good-ole boy marveling at the laser. I'm sure our members from England could make some english-speaking slang that would give them a chuckle, and I wouldn't have a clue what it meant.

Strange thing is that English is my second language and I understand it just fine :)

Maybe that's why my repeated refences to the movie Deliverence don't get any chuckles... but it's true, many people here speak english as a second language, and even fewer live in north america where they would understand the sterotyped humor of a southern, good-ole boy marveling at the laser. I'm sure our members from England could make some english-speaking slang that would give them a chuckle, and I wouldn't have a clue what it meant.

Heh. I always thought those were about your uncle :D

• 1 year later...

The part about the razing of NORAD headquarters… it’s imaginative, but if it’s not part of the pre-Xenocide story, it really jars the whole suspension of disbelief. But, if it’s actually part of the storyline, it could really flesh out the background.

Red text indicates additions, orange text indicates deletions, and blue text indicates comments.

[LASER DEFENSE FACILITY]

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base/Facilities/[Laser Defense Facility]

As this war unfolds, it becomes apparent that even state of the art conventional weapons have only limited effect upon the Alien technology. Undeniable proof is the recent razing of the NORAD headquarters at Cheyenne Mountain, after performing a pre-emptive strike against an aAlien expedition. Recommend restructuring so “by an Alien expedition” follows “Cheyenne Mountain.”  NORAD military installations are considered to be the most well defended bases in on Earth and their headquarters were was considered a veritable fortress. This has further stressed that fact that conventional defence defense systems are proving less and less effective against aAlien technology, and once the aAliens pass into a serious offensive Awkward phrasing., we will find our bases lacking the necessary defensive firepower to resist.  Fortunately, recent developments in the Llaser technology have given us a foothold with which to design a base defence defense facility that provides firepower of a magnitude never seen before. This last statement might be a little over-the-top.

Having surpassed overcome recent overcharge and focus problems, the rResearch dDepartment has provided us with the blueprints for the construction of a Llaser-based, Aerial defence Defense and Countermeasure mechanism. Combined with the modified GP-02 turret platform that allows for 360-degree rotation within 03 seconds 3, 0.3, or 0.03 seconds? and precision tracking, creates the basis What creates the basis?  This sentence reads like: “Combined with a turret, creates a basis for...”  There’s a missing noun.  for the L[laser defence Defense LCP-"Phaser" Facility]. Two things: where does “LCP” come from, and is “Phaser” really necessary?  Personally, I feel that both are rather unnecessary.

The Main Gun Recommend deletion of this reference to Macross/Robotech; it doesn’t add anything to the text. includes a Primary Discharge Capacitor and three secondary Build-up Capacitors. The Mmechanism works in a 3-phase mode. Once the firing procedure is commenced commences, a secondary capacitor begins building a charge; within a second the charge is ready and then is "transferred" to the Primary Capacitor where the Lazing lasing Changed to be consistent with the [laser rifle] CT. material is stored. The Ccharge excites the material and merges it into a beam, which is then focused through the Amplifier and released at the correct vector. As this procedure is completing, the two other capacitors are also generating a charge, at different phases, so that as soon as the first beam is released a second charge is "transferred" to the primary capacitor. This has the effect that once the weapon fires; it releases a constant beam of energy that doesn't overload the Primary Capacitor due to its 3-phase nature (ergo the name "Phaser"). This explanation is really cumbersome.  Suggest something along the lines: “Once the firing procedure commences, the continually charging secondary capacitors sequentially discharge their stored energies to the primary capacitor.  The influx of energy causes the lasing material to generate photons which are then focused and released along the correct vector.  This has the effect…”  Not sure if all this detail is really necessary: I suggest moving most of the “laser theory” to the “laser weapons systems” CT in order to allow the laser entries to focus more on the item at hand.

The Pplatform is also equipped with three low-power lasers that are guided from the control console by trained operators and assisted by semi-automated tracking programs. Unnecessarily complicated.  Suggest: “…also equipped with three low-power tracking lasers."  Once the operator locks them onto the enemy, they form a triangular path that provides unparalleled accuracy and path finding potential, designed to keep the target into the destructive path of the laser beam for as long as possible.

The Ffacility is designed in a way that provides the maximum speed and security. The main weapon platform is mounted in a central block. A corridor runs around the weapon and is used for maintenance and also acts as a buffer in the case of an explosion. The Weapon controls are placed in a secure console at the end of the room and the cooling and power systems are placed in blast-proof sub-sections to avoid malfunction by enemy splash damage. Sentences are a bit choppy and wordy.  Recommend combining them and simplifying, or deleting most of the paragraph and redistributing the remainder in other parts of the text.

The [Phaser] is considered the be the pinnacle Pinnacle is used again. of the human development in the offensive Llaser mechanisms, and its construction is recommended as a future choice for base defence defenses.

---

"gee wiz H. Christ! I'd a-figgered th'sumbitch's goan soun' like su'm out-a Star Wars. Who'd a-figgered a big friggin' laser'd go "CLACK"! - Corporal Beau Hicks at test firing of prototype.I love this quote!  It might be tough for some nonnative English speakers to understand, but it's very well done.  Maybe we can have two quotes?

Edited by stewart

• 2 weeks later...

[LASER DEFENSE FACILITY]

As this war unfolds, it becomes apparent that even state of the art conventional weapons have only limited effect upon the Alien technology. Undeniable proof is the recent razing of the NORAD headquarters at Cheyenne Mountain by an Alien expedition after attempting to perform a pre-emptive strike against it. NORAD military installations are considered to be the most well defended bases on Earth, and their headquarters were considered a veritable fortress. This has further stressed that fact that conventional defense systems are proving less and less effective against the Alien menace; should the invaders shift to full offensive tactics, we would find our bases lacking the necessary defensive firepower to resist. Fortunately, recent developments in laser technology have given us a foothold with which to design a base defense facility that provides firepower of a magnitude which exceeds that of our previous [Missile Defenses].

Having overcome recent overcharge and focus problems, the Research Division has provided us with blueprints for the construction of a laser-based Aerial Defense and Countermeasure mechanism. The modified GP-02 turret platform that allows for 360-degree rotation within 0.3 seconds and precision tracking creates the basis for the [Tri-Phase Laser Defense Facility].

I have no idea what LCP stands for :(, read here http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?...amp;Acronym=LCP , deleted for now, phaser was deleted as well, I don’t want direct references easily linked to Star Trek, replaced with “Tri-Phase” for now.

The cannon includes a Primary Discharge Capacitor and three secondary Build-up Capacitors. The mechanism works in a 3-phase mode. Once the firing procedure commences, the continually charging secondary capacitors sequentially discharge their stored energies to the primary capacitor. The influx of energy causes the lasing material to generate photons which are then focused and released along the correct vector. This has the effect that once the weapon fires; it releases a constant beam of energy that doesn't overload the Primary Capacitor due to its 3-phase nature (ergo the name "Tri-Phase").

The platform is also equipped with three low-power tracking lasers. Once the operator locks them onto the enemy, they form a triangular path that provides great accuracy and path finding potential, designed to keep the target into the destructive path of the laser beam for as long as possible.

it is not “unparalled”, as laser defense is not the best, the fusion balls may be unparalled

The facility is designed in a way that provides maximum speed and security. The main weapon platform is mounted in a central block. A corridor runs around the weapon and is used for maintenance and also acts as a buffer in the case of an explosion. The weapon controls are placed in a secure console at the end of the room and the cooling and power systems are placed in blast-proof sub-sections to avoid malfunction by enemy splash damage.

why clack?

• 1 month later...

The usual stuff: Red text indicates additions, orange text indicates deletions, and blue text indicates comments or suggestions.

Added [brackets], capitalizations of the word "Alien", and British spellings replaced by American ones are not denoted.

[LASER DEFENSE FACILITY]

As this war unfolds, it becomes has become increasingly past tense should be used here apparent that even state-of-the-art conventional weapons have only are having limited effect upon against the superior? Alien technologies. Undeniable proof is t The recent razing of the NORAD Headquarters at Cheyenne Mountain by an Alien pre-emptive strike expedition after attempting to perform a pre-emptive strike against it undeniably demonstrates this conclusion. 1.) "proof" isn't quite right here- "evidence" might be more proper; I deleted the phrase to eliminate the passive tense. 2.) an "attempted pre-emptive strike" implies an unsuccessful attempt. Since it had been razed, I'd say they were quite successful; I changed the sentence accordingly. NORAD military installations bases are considered to be passive tense the most well-defended bases installations Switched "installations" and "bases" to put the more specific term first on Earth, and their headquarters were had been considered a veritable fortress. This has further stressed that fact that conventional defense systems are proving less and less effective against the Alien menace; should the invaders shift to full offensive tactics fully offensive posture?, we would surely? find our bases lacking the necessary defensive firepower to resist ...our bases woefully deficient in defensive firepower?. Fortunately, recent developments in laser technology have given us a foothold with which to design a base defense facility design that provides firepower of a magnitude which exceeds beyond that of our previous original [Missile Defenses Facility] design.

Having overcome recent overcharge and focus problems, the Research Division has provided us with blueprints for the construction of a laser-based Aerial Defense and Countermeasure mechanism. The modified GP-02 turret platform that allows for 360-degree rotation within 0.3 seconds and precision tracking creates the basis for the [Tri-Phase Laser Defense Facility].

The cannon includes a Primary Discharge Capacitor and three secondary Build-up This is never again referenced; the name is unnecessary capacitors. The mechanism works in a 3-phase mode. Once the firing procedure commences, the continually charging secondary capacitors sequentially discharge their stored energies to the primary capacitor. This sequential three-phase release of energies prevents overloading the Primary Discharge Capacitor and gives the laser its "Tri-Phase" moniker. The influx of energy into the lasing matrix causes the lasing material to generate photons which are then amplified, focused, and released in a constant (stream/, coherent beam) along the correct vector. This has the effect that once the weapon fires; it releases a constant beam of energy that doesn't overload the Primary Capacitor due to its 3-phase nature (ergo the name "Tri-Phase"). Simplified and moved this explanation earlier in the paragraph.

The platform is also equipped with three low-power tracking lasers. Once the operator locks them onto the enemy, they form a triangular path designed to keep the target in the destructive path of the primary laser beam for as long as possible, thereby greatly increasing accuracy and damage potential. that provides great accuracy and path finding potential, designed to keep the target into the destructive path of the laser beam for as long as possible. Rearranged and modified slightly.

The facility is designed in a way that provides maximum speed and security. The main weapon platform is mounted in a central block. A maintenance corridor runs around circumscribes the weapon and doubles is used for maintenance and also acts as a buffer in the case of an accidental? explosion. The weapon controls are placed in a secure console at the end of the room which room? and the cooling and power systems are placed in blast-proof sub-sections to avoid malfunction by enemy splash damage incoming enemy fire?.

This whole paragraph depends on what the AWD model looks like; I'm currently looking for it...

Edit- found it here: http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1721

Refer to posts #23, 32, 44, and 46.

Maybe someone with better three-dimensional ability than I do can verify whether the AWD model and the CT are consistent?

I think "clack" is just so it's different than "bang" of regular guns.

Edited by stewart

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the multi-colors might interfere with readability, so I've implemented many of the changes and simplified the color scheme. Blue indicates altered text and deletions are not denoted.

Please comment on any issues you find. If the additions are are worse than the original, they can be easily undone.

Paragraph 5 depends heavily on what the AWD model looks like, but I can't make heads or tails of the three-dimensional figures. Perhaps someone can verify whether the paragraph is correct? Click on this link: Laser defense facility and refer to posts #23, 32, 44, and 46. This paragraph might need some tweaking if doesn’t describe the AWD model accurately.

[LASER DEFENSE FACILITY]

As this war unfolds, it becomes has become increasingly apparent that even state-of-the-art conventional weapons are only having a limited effect against Alien technology. The recent razing of the Cheyenne Mountain NORAD Headquarters by an Alien pre-emptive strike undeniably demonstrates this conclusion. NORAD military bases are considered to be among the best-defended installations on Earth, and their headquarters had been considered a veritable fortress. This further stresses that fact that conventional defense systems are proving less and less effective against the Alien menace; should the invaders shift to a fully offensive posture, we would surely find our bases woefully deficient in defensive firepower. Fortunately, recent developments in laser technology have given us a base defense facility design that provides firepower beyond that of our original [Missile Defense Facility design.

The cannon includes a Primary Discharge Capacitor and three secondary capacitors. Once the firing procedure commences, the continually charging secondary capacitors sequentially discharge their stored energies to the primary capacitor.? This sequential three-phase release of energies prevents overloading the Primary Discharge Capacitor and gives the laser its "Tri-Phase" moniker.? The influx of energy into the lasing matrix causes the material to generate photons which are then amplified, focused, and released in a coherent beam along the correct vector.

The platform is also equipped with three low-power tracking lasers. Once the operator locks them onto the enemy, they form a triangular path designed to keep the target in the destructive path of the primary laser beam for as long as possible, thereby greatly increasing accuracy and damage potential.

The facility is designed in a way that provides maximum speed and security. The main weapon platform is mounted in a central block. A maintenance corridor circumscribes the weapon and doubles as a buffer in the case of an accidental explosion. The weapon controls are placed in a secure console at the end of the room and the cooling and power systems are placed in blast-proof sub-sections to avoid damage from incoming enemy fire.