Photo

TFTD mission loss

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: TFTD mission loss (129 member(s) have cast votes)

TFTD mission loss

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Timil

Timil

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 04:37 AM

I have an average of 3-5 loss per mission.. and you?
Grenadoholic

#2 gangsta

gangsta

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 12:47 AM

:P As I remeber in TFTD I spent alot of the time at the beginning of each mission first setting up my guys into a horizontal line before moving forward. After that I move em up and it is easy to kill the aliens so no big losses there. I play X-Com diffrently now been awhile since I played TFTD.
Posted Image

#3 War_Lord

War_Lord

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 10:44 PM

I'm REAL careful in the beginning of TFTD, because the humans are SO fragile compared to the Aliens. I have a loss of 1-2 guys average on early missions (pre-armor) mainly because I'm so damn careful. I take the 1 or 2 most expendable idiots and I have them run out and find the bad guys, meanwhile the rest of the crew stands just outside the ship... when an alien is spotted, the sharpshooters back at the ship take out the aliens, and the grunt keeps running to find more.... Simple strategy, and the worst case senario is both of your grunts get killed and the other units actually ahve to earn their pay for once... still, no big deal.

#4 MarshmellowSoldier

MarshmellowSoldier

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 04:50 AM

I play games in stints. Short, sleepless stints of 1-2 weeks, depending on the game. Morrowind, for instance, left me sleepless for about 2 months.

Anyway, since I play like this, I like to keep as many of the good guys from the start. I only lose guys on accident, I.E. A reaction shot from an alien, or a misclick. Otherwise, I never lose guys.

If the guy lost is crapty, I keep going. If the guy lost is good (or has a lot of potential), I reload. I save before every mission.. It's sorta like cheating, but this is one of the games I decided I would let myself do it on. I hate cheating. <_<

So yeah.. I always keep my guys under cover, and when I'm in territory I know aliens abound in, I keep at least enough TUs for a snap or auto shot, depending on the gun. If possible, I'll duck the unit as well to make him a smaller target and more accurate.

#5 NCC-1701-F

NCC-1701-F

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 04:49 PM

Ok, i have fair losses but i'm not extremely careful. All of my men have 50 or higher bravery, its the only stat i care about (its logical, bravery is the one that you DON"T want to increase, because that means panicing, and when troops panic, its usually not a time you want that happening.....) and also...... this game has taken countless hours of my life, i usually play in 1-2 month spurts with the no sleep, its unique to x-com though

ps Morrowind RULES!!!!

#6 Jow

Jow

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 06:20 PM

I lost one guy in the first mission. Then I haven't lost anyone else, cos I reloaded if I lost some one, pretty rarely I lost someone.

In one mission I reloaded almost 10 times... those disruptor pulse launcher killed almost my whole group only leaving some critically wounded guys.

So I decided to throw some grenades. Then no losses.
Is this cheating? I hope it's not.

Do you mean that the higher the bravery, easier panicing? :huh:
Shouldn't it be like the other way?

How many times you have got your interceptors destroyed?
I haven't get them destroyed. No big alien ships yet...
Some ships have scrathced them a little.

#7 Extralucas

Extralucas

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 12:00 PM

I lost one guy in the first mission. Then I haven't lost anyone else, cos I reloaded if I lost some one, pretty rarely I lost someone.

In one mission I reloaded almost 10 times... those disruptor pulse launcher killed almost my whole group only leaving some critically wounded guys.

So I decided to throw some grenades. Then no losses.
Is this cheating? I hope it's not.

Do you mean that the higher the bravery, easier panicing? :huh:
Shouldn't it be like the other way?

How many times you have got your interceptors destroyed?
I haven't get them destroyed. No big alien ships yet...
Some ships have scrathced them a little.

Gee, and when I wrote that Im load-o-holic then they said that Im sick ;)

I played TFTD too long ago to correctly say how much guys do I lost... Well few were dying when I was trying to rush USO's but when I stopped it and started carefull actions, my casualties rating mysteriously decreased :blink:
I'm not back. I'm just dropping by.

#8 tzutzy

tzutzy

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 01:08 AM

I'm also a load-a-holic... especially in the beginning, you just don't stand a chance... :angry: :huh: , you don't have good weapons... :(

After I get Ion Armour then things start to look better and I only save at the beginning of the mission. :wub:
Happy alien hunting

#9 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 08:37 AM

my losses are extremely high (1-2 survivors). Probably because I don't play very careful and I never load plus I play this variant where you can't research alien tech :) (I already finished the game a couple of times and this makes it cool again (although you can never finish))

this also means I have to retreat when there are lobstermen in the USO. No way of taking them out with gauss and grenades. I tried that once, but I got slaughtered big time :(

Edited by j'ordos, 12 June 2003 - 05:46 AM.

"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#10 Extralucas

Extralucas

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 10:59 AM

Once I had to fight with one lobsterman survivor of Smallest USO. Well he slained 4 of 5 my soldiers and died hit by 5th grenade, and his corpse has been destroyed after 6th explosion (after slaughter house I wanned to be sure that he will die... I hoped that I will be at least able to make autopsy of him, but his body exploded :( )
I'm not back. I'm just dropping by.

#11 aenemic

aenemic

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 12:10 PM

I'm a real coward. I move my troops slowly and I make sure they always have enough TU to fire. and I save at the beginning of each round - if I make a wrong move, I just reload and replay that round. this means combat takes up a helluva lot of time for me. I can reload maybe 20-30 times a mission just to get things right. I won't accept losses. unless it's one of those huge missions. then I might accept one or two. I think the game is hard enough not to feel bad playing like this. I know it's cowardly, but if you let your soldiers die you don't really stand a chance.

#12 aenemic

aenemic

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 12:15 PM

my losses are extremely high (1-2 survivors). Probably because I don't play very careful and I never load plus I play this variant where you can't research alien tech :)  (I already finished the game a couple of times and this makes it cool again (although you can never finish))

this also means I have to retreat when there are lobstermen in the USO. No way of taking them out with gauss and grenades. I tried that once, but I got slaughtered big time  :(

I'm not very fond of the alien weapons so I still run around with my gauss rifles, grenades and gass cannons. and I've cleared several small-sized USO's full of Lobstermen. without any losses. not to brag - I just wanted to let you know it is possible and not as hard as it may seem. you just gotta be really careful and move your troops in groups.

#13 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• 5,059 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 12:25 PM

I didn't even get a chance to be careful :( . The mission went something like this : aquanaut opens triton door. LOBSTERMEN :cussing: . Aquanaut fires : no effect. Alien reaction fire : one down :whatwhat: .Next one fires : no effect. Alien reaction fire : another one down :whatwhat: .Next one fires : no effect. Alien reaction fire : another one down :whatwhat: .Next one fires : no effect. Alien reaction fire : another one down :whatwhat: .Next one fires : no effect. Alien reaction fire : another one down :whatwhat: .Next one fires : no effect. Alien reaction fire : another one down :whatwhat: .Next one fires : no effect. Alien reaction fire : another one down :whatwhat: .Next one fires : no effect. Alien reaction fire : another one down :whatwhat: .Next one fires : no effect. Alien reaction fire : another one down :whatwhat: .Next one fires : no effect. Alien reaction fire : another one down :whatwhat: .Next one fires : no effect. Alien reaction fire : another one down :whatwhat: .Next one fires : no effect. Alien reaction fire : another one down :whatwhat: ...

anyway, you get the picture :hammer:
Posted Image

#14 Mustang

Mustang

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 12:34 PM

I always have a problem and that is: I CAN NEVER FIND THAT STUPID SNIPER IN EVERY MISSION :cussing:

#15 miceless

miceless

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 02:18 AM

Lobstermen just will not die. They take gauss shots like they were candy!
"If it moves - kill it. If it doesn't move - kill it anyway, it might move later."

#16 Pallidar

Pallidar

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 01:11 AM

Forget Gauss. I've even tried using large rockets, HE, even tried phosphorus ammo for my hydro-jet cannons. They just shrug it off.

I hate lobstermen. Especially on terror missions. My entire 14-man squad went O:) this morning. :cussing:

Next time, I'm using those heavy thermic lances. Ninja style. :ninja:

#17 Darkvater

Darkvater

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 07:05 AM

I'm a fervent save/load addict, so no losses to me at all. I have about 20 saves taking out a big ship. If one of my guys die, I just reload the game.

Now that I have magnetic Ion Armor, the saves/loads are less, but still if I get tentaculated I reload the game. I just hate losing my good guys to a stupid zombie.

So 0 losses for me

#18 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 09:31 AM

at my first days of x-com my rating was of 1-2survivors per mission :rolleyes:
most of the times i never finished a mission. all i did was kill as many aliens as i could and (carefully) with the men i had left grabbed all their gear and took it to the ship. when i had pretty much gear or losses were getting fatal i aborted and returned to base with the new stuff to research. problem is my funding quickly went down for the uncessful mission rating and i ended up losing :P

now i pretty much save every turn, but since i can't be arsed to constantly load whenever there's a loss my rating is 1-3losses/mission.
still, i have never managed to finish TFTD on minimium difficulty, nor EU (which i think is far harder. most missions i stay in the ship waiting for the damn snakemen / cryshalid to show up and then i shoot them ;)). lobstermans have got to be the most nerve-breaking alien i have ever seen. either they kill you silently (melee weapon) or they just zap out without you even seeing them. when u do spot one, you fire your sonic cannon, grenades, etc, and what do you get? half of your squadron dead by a sonic pulser :cussing:

worst than lobstermans are those alien hidden (for example) deep inside those pyramids in island maps which killed any1 that got in front of them (thus giving you no chances of killing them without someone dying) so the only solution was to send in my weakest soldier as bait (in other words, get him killed :P) so that the alien would waste his TUs thus enabling another soldier to kill him in the same turn.

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

#19 Heat

Heat

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 08:48 AM

LOL i cant believe like 12% had 1-2 survivors, must be really hard cos u need to keep ur soliders n build their stats. I guess i was like that too when i first played this game tho :)

#20 Worm

Worm

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 10:13 AM

Never had any losses :/
Im a saving every turn.

Well, i play superman difficulty atm, without reloading u just dont stand a chance.

The last terror mission (no ion armor yet) i played, me round started with 7 lobsterman/bio-drones just in front with no cover.
As i finished the round, there where no survivors (10 guys and a tank dead in 1 round :/ )

Also killing a lobsterman is somehow nice, sometimes u only need 2 hits with sonar cannon, but sometimes i had 7 hits + sonic pulsar without a real effect.

I also had a nice mission (gill man battleship) where 8 xinthfishes where placed around my ship, each one taking sth around 5 hits before collapsing, and shooting up to 5 times a round, with an accuracy around 70%
No fun playing this wothout reload :/

Well, but later on the games much easier, u have 2 or 3 people with m.c. disruptor, 1 with disrupter pulse, 2 sniper flying in level 3 and 2 tanks.
U can kill everything easily then, expecially when u have an accuracy of 100% with your snipers.

#21 Jenny

Jenny

Artwork Department

• 429 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 06:49 AM

In average my losses are waaaaay higher than in the first X-com. It kind of depends how I play a mission.. if I play very carefully and load occasionally, I won't lose too many. If I play "hardcore", I tend to lose a lot, sometimes get wiped out altogether.
Posted Image

#22 Ahriman

Ahriman

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 10:56 PM

I'm playing with no save/reload and I'm losing soldiers at a truly ridiculous rate. On average, I'll lose 5 soldiers out of 14 on a regular mission against a medium ship. Terror missions though... oh god, do I hate terror missions. On average I'll bring back all of 3 live combatants, generally only 1 conscious.

Especially now that I'm running into Tasoth. I swear they just pick the guy with the disruptor pulse launcher for MC attacks!
I've lost two full squads to mindcontrolled DPL toting soldiers :cussing:

#23 Ryker

Ryker

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 11:11 PM

The first time i came across a lobsterman, it took many gauss shots, but luckily, i was i was in a formation where i had accidently surrounded it, so i managed to kill it in one turn. After that i was watching my back for other lobsterman and i came across another.... It had to be a bug, cause he went down in 2 gauss pistol shots.... never happened again though.

#24 dillster

dillster

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 09:30 PM

Well, after reading all these replies, my reload count and death count sounds about right...

I had a terror mission on a ship (cruise or cargo depending on the reload) and played the mission at least 20 times (even reloading in the middle) and only got to the 2nd level once (with 5 from 12 soldiers left) and as soon as the 2nd level started - bam! All dead in 3 turns.

I decided to reload to when most were still alive and retreated with a few kills to my soldiers names...

WE WILL RETURN!

#25 mad menno

mad menno

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 03:28 PM

When it's light i don't get any losses well maybe sometimes if those farts miss all there shots, when it's night i lose a lot when i don't mass save/load, those chemical flairs are realy handy but not as perfect as the good old sun. I try to do all my mission in good lighted fields. But i save and load a lot i hate it when one dies they get stronger and i infested time in them u kinda get to know all your aquanautes.

Greetz

#26 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 12:09 PM

In the beginning I usually have 3-5 survivors at the end of each combat. But I lose some tactical combats too.
2 reasons:
1. superhuman difficulty
2. I never use save/load cheat
There's no need for a sig..

#27 Wild Cat M

Wild Cat M

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 07:18 AM

I've just started playing this week, and usually lose about 1-2 aquanauts per mission. Things are improving now that I've acquired some sonic blasters.

I need to start researching armour. I've already got a few Deep One corpses. Do I start armour research by researching the deep One corpses?

#28 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• 5,059 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 09:04 AM

yep, deep ones are the key to aqua plastics which lead to the aqua plastic armor
more info about the tech tree : here
Posted Image

#29 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 05:19 AM

Be sure to read carefully that tree! Those bugs can ruin your perfect game!

#30 Elmo20

Elmo20

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 06:36 PM

i dont like playing turn based games as a save aholic its takes the whole fun away from the whole point...
where is the fun in the game if when u make a mistake you load and do it again how you should have in the first place.
you learn from your mistakes most of ur soldiers in tftd die from careless moving or thoughtless shooting.
presonaly if my soldiers die i get pist off alot but it is a war game.. you are gonna have to acept losses its the whole part and parcel of it
i find if you use dye granades to hide your men and use proper war tattics i.e smoke to hide throw grandes in a room before entering you wont lose as many men.
in an very small , small , medium manybe 0-1 men
medium up at minumum 1 man
colony and ship routes are the hardes battles for me so its 2-4 men die

(i think the worst thing is when your see one of your best men taken over and you have to shoot him..pain)

#31 Guest_woldsom_*

Guest_woldsom_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2004 - 08:37 AM

I only load if I actually lose the mission. Losing a Triton+crew is just too clostly.

Retreat? What's that?

I usually have one or two losses per mission, but it's usually grunts, as I keep rotating about 20 soldiers to get an even crew.

#32 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:01 PM

I even accept the loss of triton (yeah it happens)

#33 floater medic

floater medic

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 07:34 AM

i just shot a lobster man in the chest with the tftd equivalant of a blaster bomb (forgot the name ) and it shruged it off like a dart pistol shot!!!!!

i mced it after and it had almost all health left !!!! (no wounds)
-WHEN THERES A WILL THERES A WAY WHEN THERES A WHIP THERES A GAY-
-STICKS AND STONES MAY BREAK MY BONES BUT WHIPS AND CHAINS EXITE ME-
-MOTHER ALWAYS SAID LIFE IS LIKE A BOX OF EGGS......STUPID COW-

"a plastyc bag??? we cent tayk a plastyc bag if it hasen` got a speshel mark! doos eet hev a speshel mark????? oo it dont hev a speshel mark!!!!! we cent tek that eet cud strngle a lil kiddie that cud!!!!!!!"

#34 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• 2,418 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 09:15 AM

i just shot a lobster man in the chest with the tftd equivalant of a blaster bomb (forgot the name )  and it shruged it off like a dart pistol shot!!!!!

i mced it after and it had almost all health left !!!! (no wounds)

Disruptor Launcher / Bomb.
lobstermen are very well known for surviving even disruptor bombs. blast him 1 or 2 times and he should die ;)

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

#35 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 11:23 PM

i always have 1-2 losses, and when i meet lobstermen for the first time(always a terror site), i end up with around 5 guys left. I se xcomutil though, so i have really powerful gauss weapons(rifles will kill them eventually, even from the front)
Top Secret Xenocide Status report

BF2 Hackers =5SF= have busted
]sD[ Engageo <-- couldn't get him banned though, no screenshot of him ingame
]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image
I hate spider solitaire...

#36 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• 2,418 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 08:28 AM

i still remember on one of my first tftd games when my first terror site had lobstermans because it was a cargo ship. IT'S PURE SUICIDE TRYING TO KILL LOBSTERMEN WITH DART GUNS AND JET HARPOONS!!! :cussing:

Posted Image

#37 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:01 AM

But they are ap and lobsters don't like ap. I once wiped out lobsters with my harpoon guns. They get around 65 damage

]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image

#38 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:34 PM

Lobstermen take half damage from AP which is completely different from drill damage.

And, as lobstermen on superhuman have 24 front, rear and side armour, your best bet will be the Gas Cannon AP shell.

See, the lobsterman can only feel (60/2) - 24 = 6 points of damage, if you get to roll full damage (which is rare). Dart guns and jet harpoons will never harm this lobsterman.

I cannot remember, but I think a beginner level lobstermen have 12 front, rear and side armour. In which case, a jet harpoon can do (30 / 2) - 12 = 1 point of damage. If anyone can correct me then the jet harpoons might even do more damage.

Curiously enough: On superhuman levels, GC-HE shells are almost as powerful as sonic pistol rounds. It's hard to believe, but if you compare (80/2) - 24 = 16 for the sonic pistol with (56 / 2) - 24 = 16 for the GC-HE shells, they're identical! The trick is HE attacks under armour while sonic hits the front, rear or side armour. So you do in fact have a weapon that can hurt lobstermen. You just need a heck of a lot of HE shells (or magna-pack explosives). ;)

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#39 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:53 AM

wait a second. i thought lobstermen take double AP damage.

]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
Posted Image

#40 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 04:46 PM

Well, lobstermen take half AP damage, half gauss, Half sonic and half from explosives. I ran a test firing GC-AP rounds at a lobsterman I edited to remove all of its armour. The ufopaedia says that GC-AP rounds do 60 AP damage. No matter how many times I tried, I never got damage levels beyond 30.

Drill and stun damage do normal damage. The thermal shok bomb itself is already pretty potent so it needn't do 200%. I don't know about Phosphor impact damage, but I do know when fire sticks to the unit, it'll constantly take a certain amount of damage per turn regardless of armour. Damage from standing in fire patches depend on your under-armour.

Actually, looking back at my calculations for weapon damage, I realise I've got them wrong and I was thinking about UFO's damage levels. TFTD's harpoon gun does 32 damage and the GC-HE shells do 65. Or am I mistaken there as well? Never mind.

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 02 July 2004 - 05:02 PM.

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#41 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 04:59 PM

ohhh, that clears up alot of stuff. Thanks! :)

Stupid lobsters are near invulnerable

]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
Posted Image

#42 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 07:42 AM

ohhh, that clears up alot of stuff.  Thanks! :)

Stupid lobsters are near invulnerable

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh no, all you need is a little drilling, and they're pretty delicious with garlic butter :naughty:
"You're just jealous because the voices in my head only talk to me."

"I only think this stuff up ..
then I have to write it down so it doesn't corrupt the rest of my brain.. "

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another which states that this has already happened.
-Douglas Adams (The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy)"

#43 Tsereve

Tsereve

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 01:34 PM

According to the UFOpedia, they are almost invulnerable to missiles. It lied. Lobstermen are a cinch once you get Disruptor Pulse Launchers, provided you can actually see them. Their I don't know the exact ratings, but their under-armor seems a lot weaker than elsewhere. I use two main strategies to kill them:

1. Each time you go on a mission where there'll be lobstermen, take along a rookie (preferably 2) armed with M-Blast grenades and M-Packs (needless to say, Sonic Blasters will work too ^_^ ) on every slot. KEEP HIM WELL AWAY FROM YOUR OTHER UNITS! When you see a lobsterman, have him prime 1, then run up to the guy. The lobsterman kills him. BOOM! The grenades littered at his feet blow him to Cydonia.

2. Have a guy armed with only M-B 'nades or Sonic B's. He can be a rookie, colonal, anything (rookies are recommended). Once a lobsterman is spotted, have him throw every at it. DO NOT WASTE TU'S ON PRIMING ANY. Then, cycle a disruptor pulse bomb behind the crestacean. It probably won't kill him, but even a lobsterman can't survive 7 Sonic Blasters :devillaugh: !
Justice will be dispensed by cannonade and cutlass, and all manner of remorseless pieces of metal.

Take one more step, and I swear, I will kill you so hard you will die to death.

#44 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 07:53 AM

Vibro blades, I'm telling ya! :D

And shower him with Heavy Sonic crossfire if it's in the open, spray liberally with 'nades and you'll have toased Lobster for dinner :LOL:
"You're just jealous because the voices in my head only talk to me."

"I only think this stuff up ..
then I have to write it down so it doesn't corrupt the rest of my brain.. "

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another which states that this has already happened.
-Douglas Adams (The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy)"

#45 dan2

dan2

Xnet Proof Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 561 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 11:00 PM

The first time i came across a lobsterman, it took many gauss shots, but luckily, i was i was in a formation where i had accidently surrounded it, so i managed to kill it in one turn. After that i was watching my back for other lobsterman and i came across another.... It had to be a bug, cause he went down in 2 gauss pistol shots.... never happened again though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When UFOs are shot down, the mission begins with some aliens already dead and some are wounded. Probably this lobster was heavily wounded, that's why only two gauss pistol shots were enough.

#46 dan2

dan2

Xnet Proof Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 561 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:34 AM

As I was playing my "no save in battlescape" campaign, finally I reached the first terrorized ship on 1st april. I was usually obtaining from this terror missions a Tasoth Squad Leader or a Lobster Man Navigator, in my "save-o-holic" campaings and I thought it would be nice to do the same now.
Well, it took me two days to load and reload (in geoscape only). And may I remind you it's a two parter and about 20+ aliens each part. I definitely learned new strategies and after more than 10 attempts I was good enough to finished with none of my sodiers dead, just one wounded. In the second part, right in my first turn, :hammer: one dead. All that work, just lost.
Reload, more failures, so I decided just to freeze one Tasoth Leader, kill enough aliens to bring my score to positive and leave with the bounty. In itself its not such a bad idea, since this is actually what I wanted, but the fact that a two parter seems impossible made me wonder.
So I saved this attempt and start all over again and this time I was able to finish the upper deck with no dead, no wounded. To me this gave me more happiness that if I won to lottery. But, of course, just a few turns in the lower deck and again, dead soldiers. :hmmm: I guess I have to think of a good strategy for ending the lower decks for a cargo ship (I don't like passenger ships, they're huge) without casualties.

#47 Rovlad

Rovlad

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:04 PM

Well, my 2 cents.

I have to admit, I tried playing it "honestly", with no reloads ever, but that just isn't friggin' possible! For me, at least. When you get sonic cannons (btw, why are you all complaining about lobstermen? they take max 3 shots of those, which isn't that bad ;)) and aqua-plastic armor, the life is easier. Maybe someday I'll try that "no loading in battlescape" thing, but for now I just have to reload. Probably it's just that I suck. :)

I accept 2-3 lost aquanauts, especially rookies, and maybe like 4 on two-stage missions, simply because it seems stupid to me that aliens never kill any X-Com soldiers while dying in hundreds to them. :) Or, sometimes I simply saved like 5 turns ago and don't want to replay.

Oh, and I play on superhuman.

#48 dan2

dan2

Xnet Proof Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 561 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:33 PM

I have to admit, I tried playing it "honestly", with no reloads ever, but that just isn't friggin' possible! For me, at least. When you get sonic cannons (btw, why are you all complaining about lobstermen? they take max 3 shots of those, which isn't that bad ;)) and aqua-plastic armor, the life is easier. Maybe someday I'll try that "no loading in battlescape" thing, but for now I just have to reload. Probably it's just that I suck. :)
I accept 2-3 lost aquanauts, especially rookies, and maybe like 4 on two-stage missions, simply because it seems stupid to me that aliens never kill any X-Com soldiers while dying in hundreds to them. :) Or, sometimes I simply saved like 5 turns ago and don't want to replay.
Oh, and I play on superhuman.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For me playing with "no-save-in-battlescape" its more like an experiment. Its how I learn what I shouldn't do, like rushing too much in front of the aliens, or turning corners that are guarded by sneaky aliens. Its not that you wouldn't be able to do it, I'm sure with patience anybody can and I hope one day you'll try it. It's worth it, because till now I didn't care much about my soldiers accuracy since I was able to reload after each missed shot. Till now I wasn't using Coelacanths, because they're not increasing in skills and I didn't want to waste valuable skill point increases. And since the main pleasure of the game comes from battlescape, trying to reach perfection in it made me spend 10 times more time in battlescape that I was before and far less time in geoscape.
About losses, everybody have their views. I don't really want valuable soldiers to die, especially since they're so hard to train. I know, it wouldn't be too realistic, but who cares, let the aliens clone more of their kind rather them me buying more rookies.
Being able to do a mission without saving its like trying to play an entire song instead of a few notes at a time and it's definitely rewarding to see you were able to do it