XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Frequently Asked Questions Discussion

Serge

Is it possible to start a game using a direct IP connection, bypassing the matchmaking server? This would be especially helpful for situations when both players are on the same local network.

No, direct connection is not supported, but you can easily start the server on one of these computers in the local network and play games.

• 4 weeks later...

When holding down shift while preparing to shoot someone, it brings up a precise aiming menu, however what do all the various icons mean? Worse still, they seem to change depending on what's being aimed at. I realize it has something to do with the facing of the target, but that doesn't seem to actually help figure out where I'm going to shoot. I can't even shoot fences one square in front of me half the time, as suggested by the wiki.

Edit: After playing with a tile editor, I finally figured this out. Not that the wiki gets updated all that much these days, but it's a complicated enough topic that maybe someone should make an article to better explain how precision aiming actually works, rather than the quick line or two it has mentioned. The order of the boxes, and the icons not always making sense to the non-technical, can easily lead to confusion. :)

Just ouf of curiosity, why is the aiming displayed in a grid, rather than a single column from top to bottom? Surely there's enough room.

Edited by Highyena