XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Stairs Bug

hurz

• 2 weeks later...
Hobbes points out the issue in the post below; the floor beneath the stairs has been blown away.

He's mentioning another post but regarding the Dawn terrain.

I've just looked into this because this question has also made me curious. The answer is that the problem is on the original TFTD terrain files, not with UFO2000.

This happens because in the original TFTD files that tile has the Big Wall property set to 1, preventing units from moving into it (all other stairs have that field set to 0).

I've checked the original Port maps and that upper stair tile isn't used at all, so most likely the original developers never bothered to correct it because it wasn't necessary. When I edited the field on the original MCD file to 1 it worked as it should.

The only way to fix this is to manualy edit the Port01.MCD file. However, this will prevent using Industrial/Port terrains while playing multiplayer online, unless both players use the same corrected file.

Edited by Hobbes

That's exactly the Problem. I have modified port01.mcd almost as described (setting the big wall property for the upper half of the stairs to 0) and thereby got it working. The only question is, how can this be solved everywhere?

Would it be a copyright issue to distribute this corrected mapfile?

Would it be possible for ufo2k to have some sort of a one-time-routine on first startup that would patch said file? (as it seems, this would not even damage an original tftd running with this map file)

Or do you judge the issue to be as unimportant as the original tftd devs did?

Thanks for clarifying the issue. :)