XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Help, Me. Please.

blue123

I downloaded UFO from here:

It worked great. I installed Xcomutil, and everything was jolly. Then I only managed to mess up the alien base terrain so I had to download it again. But in the new copy I downloaded, the screen comes all garbled when I run RunXcomW. (It was the same version. But in the setup, when asked, "would you like to use .... xloader" or something like that, I chose no. Is that the problem?)

I use win XP.

Edited by blue123

I downloaded UFO from here:

It worked great. I installed Xcomutil, and everything was jolly. Then I only managed to mess up the alien base terrain so I had to download it again. But in the new copy I downloaded, the screen comes all garbled when I run RunXcomW.

I use win XP.

Just a question: only the alien base terrain was garbled at first, right? Where parts of the base ar just black and if you drag the cursor over those parts it 'stays' there? If that's the case, you've got the first dos version, which has that problem. It would be better to get a newer version somewhere.

That isn't piracy. It's abandonware. The CENSORED have it, if you've heard of them... (and so do hundreds of other sites. It's no longer being sold, and developers have been contacted.)

As for the terrain, it worked at first but I downloaded a couple of new terror terrains. Maybe that's the problem?

Edited by Azrael

Again, don't post sites where X-Com can be downloaded.

X-Com is not abandonware, those sites contain illegal copies of X-Com, and unfortunately this board does not support piracy, please stop posting those sites!

You are off topic. And x-com is no longer being sold (where I live, anyway). If there's a game you want that's no longer being sold, are you just going to sit in front of your computer and mumble? And "those sites" would not have lasted this long if they were illegal. They only have them if the publisher/developer is no longer selling the game and has approved of it. The word "abandon" and "piracy" are very different. Ok, x-com may still be popular, but it is abandonware.

Let me rephrase my first post... (and let's try to keep to the topic, alright?)

You are off topic. And x-com is no longer being sold (where I live, anyway). If there's a game you want that's no longer being sold, are you just going to sit in front of your computer and mumble? And "those sites" would not have lasted this long if they were illegal. They only have them if the publisher/developer is no longer selling the game and has approved of it. The word "abandon" and "piracy" are very different. Ok, x-com may still be popular, but it is abandonware.

Let me rephrase my first post... (and let's try to keep to the topic, alright?)

They are not off topic, they are enforcing a written rule of these forums and what you think regarding the legality of abandonware is wrong. Read the Wikipedia's entry concerning Abandonware. According the law piracy and abandonware are illegal, the thing is that the meaning of the law and its enforcement can be 2 things quite different.

Now back to the original topic: the garbled black screen on Alien Base missions on XComUtil is a bug. You'll have to restart the game until it disappears (if you saved it beforehand).

If you are using the Windows version then you will have to click Yes to the option of using Fodder's patch when you run XcuSetup. For the question to appear again when running XcuSetup, delete XCOM4WIN.XCF before running it.

PS - If you downloaded the Terror Site terrains from my site, those are not responsible for the events above mentioned.

Edited by Hobbes

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly to set the record straight Abandonware the term at least refers to software material or any item for that fact that is out of print and is at least 5-7 years old it must fit both criteria the problem is is that the time portion of it differs from authoritative organization to authoritative organization. Theres no clear cut definition, yes it is illegal in some cases and like Azrael (who is becoming a very good friend in my book) said the enforcement and definition often differ. However Abandoware can be legal in some cases i downloaded the full version of a old DOS game called Ascendency a old space empire game the website I got it from indicated that the company who made it was out of business for good HOWEVER before they went out of business they gave permission for the game to be released to the public at large since then the game is very hard to find a download for but was given up freelymost copies on the net are illegal because they were not the ones the company released but rather ones people ripped and put up on their own however if you go to the official website which I found a long time ago I believe they still offer it THAT copy is legal. See the difference?

Edit: Why does my post counter on the side here not go up as I make additional posts?

Edited by Outlawstar15a2

Yep. Sadly, downloading copyrighted software is illegal in most cases. However, most of the time the developer/publisher has given the all clear for it to be released on the net.

EDIT: That happened to me. Just keep posting.

Edited by blue123

These forums don't add to your postcount total.

You won't have much trouble finding a copy of X-Com online, but sadly we cannot allow posting of such links on our board. :(

I love ascendancy! too bad for the crappy AI, but they are working on some sort of sequel (in fact, I think it was called Ascendancy 2, but I don't remember). Great game :D

• 2 months later...
These forums don't add to your postcount total.

You won't have much trouble finding a copy of X-Com online, but sadly we cannot allow posting of such links on our board. :(

I love ascendancy! too bad for the crappy AI, but they are working on some sort of sequel (in fact, I think it was called Ascendancy 2, but I don't remember). Great game :D

Sequels been out for a while its called the Tone Rebellion I hear its good but I never purchased it.