XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Three Problems With Xcomutil Beta

Silverf

Well, I've been using XcomUtil 9.6beta with the 1.4 Dos Version of Xcom, and I have some issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. First off, the only bat file to run the game seems to be runxcomw.bat. I was under the impression that I needed to use runxcom.bat to get the dos version to work. Am I wrong on this?

2. When I select the 'use improved weapons' option in xcusetup, it says 'the syntax of the command is incorrect' and moves onto the next question. What gives?

3. When I select yes at the 'Do you want to use new farm and desert terrains' it says:

Creating new farm and desert terrains

illegal command:java.

...and moves onto the next one.

Anyone have any help for me?

Thanks.

Well, I've been using XcomUtil 9.6beta with the 1.4 Dos Version of Xcom, and I have some issues.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. First off, the only bat file to run the game seems to be runxcomw.bat.  I was under the impression that I needed to use runxcom.bat to get the dos version to work.  Am I wrong on this?

2.  When I select the 'use improved weapons' option in xcusetup, it says 'the syntax of the command is incorrect' and moves onto the next question.  What gives?

3.  When I select yes at the 'Do you want to use new farm and desert terrains' it says:

Thanks.

Regarding the last error, I suppose you have to install java

http://java.sun.com/downloads/index.html

I'm not familiar with it, but I think the first download should give what you need to run xcomutil?

Perhaps the first error has to do with it too, although unlikely. Wait for STJones on that one. :)

Alright, I've done some fooling around, and come to the following conclusions:

1. This file is created when the program actually works (see next point)

1a. The reason that this file wasn't created, is that I have another problem with the editor I haven't mentioned. It no longer seems to work with the additional ships program on Scott Jones' webpage (a must have, IMO). When I run the ships program, the XComUtil changes are all reversed, and if I try to run XComUtil again, it gives me the following message:

XCOM 1.4 version of game detected

Invalid AlienStats in XCOMUTIL.CFG

Error executing XCOMUTIL, XCUSETUP aborted

...Hope that helps

2. I looked at it, and the program seems to actually impliment this if I tell it too, despite the wonky message.

3. OK, I'll get Java, anyhting particular I'd need to know about getting it to work with XCom?

When I tried to use the aforementioned ships program (from Scott Jones website) back in December, it somehow trashed my installation so bad that none of my save files would work no matter what I did. Multiple re-installations later I deleted the entire XCom folder and started over from square one.

I recommend the newships package from the Devisraad site:

http://devisraad.com/xcom/newships.zip

You can even use a "switcher" to switch back and forth between the old ships and the new ships if desired. For example, every odd Large Scout will be a "new" Large Scout while every even Large Scout will be the "old" Large Scout (there are actually two "new" supply ships so you have a total of three supply ships to play with).

The switcher:

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4158

Good luck and have fun!

Well, I've been using XcomUtil 9.6beta with the 1.4 Dos Version of Xcom, and I have some issues.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. First off, the only bat file to run the game seems to be runxcomw.bat.  I was under the impression that I needed to use runxcom.bat to get the dos version to work.  Am I wrong on this?

2.  When I select the 'use improved weapons' option in xcusetup, it says 'the syntax of the command is incorrect' and moves onto the next question.  What gives?

3.  When I select yes at the 'Do you want to use new farm and desert terrains' it says:

Thanks.

I have not heard of any of these problems before. They are so bizarre, I have to guess that you are using some level of the DOS command line that does not support everything that XcuSetup.bat uses. The "illegal command:java" messages are the result of me checking for java and FINDING it, then trying to use it.

Exactly what kind of machine and operating system are you using?

Another problem with the XcomUtil 9.60 beta was recently reported to me by Max Popov. It seems that I accidentally used a "new" Java feature that was not supported by the JVM on Max's machine. The XcomUtTE program requires at least Java 1.4 to work correctly. Since Java 1.4.1 was released in April of 2003, I don't think this is a serious problem, but I will try to fix it whenever I release another beta. The error is:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: mode must be r or rw

Just go to java.sun.com and download either the 1.4.2 or 5.0 (they renamed 1.5) JRE or SDK and you should be fine. Other Java Runtime Environments, such as the one from IBM (my personal favorite), will also work, but the version from Sun Microsystems is the reference platform against which all other Java's are compared.

Alright, I picked up java, and that problem seems to have fixed itself. Any ideas on the other problems? Particularly the ship program on your webpage, scott, as that has been an essential patch for years. Or, if there is no solution, is there anyway I could get a copy of Xcomutil 9.2?

Thanks

Alright, I picked up java, and that problem seems to have fixed itself.  Any ideas on the other problems?  Particularly the ship program on your webpage, scott, as that has been an essential patch for years.  Or, if there is no solution, is there anyway I could get a copy of Xcomutil 9.2?

Thanks

Yes, I should still have a copy of XcomUtil 9.2, but what do you mean by the "ship program"?

• 3 weeks later...
I am working on the final version of XcomUtil 9.60 and would like to fix the problem with the Xc1Ships add-on, but I can't find a problem with the package. Exactly what made you think you needed version 9.2?