55 replies to this topic

#51 dteviot

dteviot

Programming Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:58 PM

I just had another thought.
Could someone do a couple of controlled experiments, running Xenocide when one of the requirements isn't present, and collect the error messages? Then we might be able to tell people what they've forgotten from their error.
Obvious tests to run:
  • .Net framework 2.0 missing.
  • XNA missing. (but .Net 2.0 present)
  • DirectX 9.0c missing. (XNA and .Net present.)

Saving the world from the scum of the universe is hard work. Especially when you have to create the scum to begin with.

#52 Darkhomb

Darkhomb

Captain

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 628 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:48 PM

I might be formating my computer soon, depending on couple factors. If so I will do that.

#53 darkwars

darkwars

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:25 PM

i belive this same error might have been brought up but i'm quite sure i got all the needed stuff installed
theres the error msg and the folder can be seen too, might have messed up in there, also if theres any way i can check if i have the needed stuff installed that would be cool
thx for any help, from what i've been able to see the game looks amazing so far good work :)

OK, just for our records.
1. How could we make the dependencies more obvious? They are on the same web page as the download.
2. Did you manage to get it running in the end?
3. Did you figure out what was missing? My guess is wrong version of DirectX 9.0c, but it would be good to confirm, so that next time someone reports that exact error message, we can tell them exactly what's missing.

Thanks.

1. haveing them there is nice but sum do not know if they have em, guess u could just google em and try installing em all agin(like i did) but links are extra nice, saves any confusion about haveing the right one or not

2. yes gots it working

3. i belive in the end it was the directX but i did go through try the others befor so it could have been more then just directX

#54 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:06 PM

I just had another thought.
Could someone do a couple of controlled experiments, running Xenocide when one of the requirements isn't present, and collect the error messages? Then we might be able to tell people what they've forgotten from their error.
Obvious tests to run:

• .Net framework 2.0 missing.
  • XNA missing. (but .Net 2.0 present)
  • DirectX 9.0c missing. (XNA and .Net present.)

Not having .NET Framework will tell you... you don't have .NET Framework:
Posted Image

Not having XNA is a lot less friendly, it'll just crash and you'll either get an error message or an error report (depending on Windows version):
Posted Image

I couldn't get a DirectX related message.

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

#55 loxotron

loxotron

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:33 PM

who knows any way to change game resolution and switch it to fullscreen?
(in last svn revision)

Edited by loxotron, 03 March 2008 - 04:39 PM.

I'm an big big LOL ..)

#56 dteviot

dteviot

Programming Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:14 PM

who knows any way to change game resolution and switch it to fullscreen?
(in last svn revision)

read http://msdn2.microso...y/bb195024.aspx
Saving the world from the scum of the universe is hard work. Especially when you have to create the scum to begin with.

Reply to this topic