XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Infiltrated Nations

What could happend when the aliens infiltrat nations or parts of nations ?

Could the secret services of this nations work agains X-Com ?

Special Units attacks X-Com Bases or sabotage them ?

Guest Jim69
I always assumed that they signed a peace treaty, not a military alliance, and get backstabbed by the aliens, since that is what it says if u lose in UFO. ( Not that I have ever lost of cause :whatwhat: )

A couple of my ideas from the National Armies topic:

"Can't we use the national armies as the companies was used in APOC? They didn't really do anything for you, exept raid you once in a while. Wouldn't that make sense? The alien take over, for example, England, and uses their soldiers to attack your base. The aliens share info with the English, giving them info on where your base is located. The English could also attack your planes if you come to close to their airspace."

"And I would like to tie in the countries even more. A hostile country would not allow you to build a base on their territory (don't remember if this was in the original) and a allied nation could give access to their radar equipment."

So, I'm with you Crix, more messing with the nations!

Another idea mentioned in another thread was having operatives from an alien-controlled country show up at crash sites after a certain amount of time to rescue the downed aliens. If you arrive after them, you fight the operatives as well as the aliens they're rescuing.

• 1 month later...

In Xcom1, when a nation came under alien control, it just sort of disappeared from the game, as it never did anything. But wouldn't those controlled countries actually try to help the aliens? Maybe by declaring war on one of the Xcom-funding nations, in order to decrease your income? Or by allowing UFO's and alien bases be stationed/constructed there, and forbid the construction/existence af Xcom bases there, maybe even forbid Xcom from entering it's airspace? Or sending out patrols of their own to find Xcom bases?

Or if it's a secret pact with them, without their population knowing, maybe someone close to the top may disagree and make it public. That could cause either 1) a revolution/government change who may decide to reenter Xcom, or

2) a public agreement with that pact, paving the way for overt action as an alien ally, which can have repercussions on other antions as well.

Maybe this would make it too complicated, but I would like to have some opotions for those defected countries : :unsure:

Or by allowing UFO's and alien bases be stationed/constructed there

I think just about every time that I've played the game and lost a country(and I usually lose at least one...), it immediately says something like "An alien base has been found in [insert country that just defected].

Another thought...if these are secret pacts, how come everyone knows about it?? :hammer:

Because they stop paying you? :P

One other point about this: the skyrangers and the interceptors are provided respectively by Russia and USA, right? Why do they still allow you to use their crafts after a pact?

Guest Jim69
Because they stop paying you?  :P

One other point about this: the skyrangers and the interceptors are provided respectively by Russia and USA, right? Why do they still allow you to use their crafts after a pact?

I always thought it was a global initiative to build the craft, I could be wrong.

One thing: X-Com had base defences that had a chance of destroying ur craft. Why the heck aint the Aliens got this, if only 4 balance? If we making game harder then this should definatly become a possiblility

Edited by Jim69

I for one would like to get a infiltrated country back, perhaps there would be some way to make the leader of that country see the error of his ways with a little tort-err I mean interrogation? :D

I think the same way as u, those country should have more action path to chose :

- Why not spying on u (if the cospiration remain secret), they give info like base positions and actual defence power of each base, etc ...

- Action : they obstacle u like forbiding u to enter their airspace sending topguns at u ... LOL ... u will simply shot them down with the Avenger ...

- When u intersept someUFO from that country some of the creatures on the ship might be military from that country (not enslaved but allies)

- Directly attack ur base or ur ship as soon as they see one

- Secretly sabotage ur installation (if u have some employee from that country)

- etc ...

that will be fun

• 6 months later...
Like in Apocalypse, where you could get base attacks with alien allies? Be aware, that they certainly did want to do something like that with a "prison cell" facility, which is in the files, but not in the game :crying: (though comparing the concepts with the actual product, this could well be lack of time and not lack of capacity) it would have been really cool

• 3 weeks later...

We ought to be able to launch missions directly against alien-infested countries.

Friday: "The United Kingdom has formed a secret pact with the aliens and has stopped its funding."

Saturday: "The following materials have arrived at X-Corp Control: Blaster Launcher x10 and Blaster Bomb x50"

Sunday: "X-Corp terrorises London."

I don't think that the allies should be together with the aliens. The aliens should be like secretly controling them, and through the political leaders, they sign the pact.

Wars might be cool, but it should be a little twist. The war alters depending on your accitivity in UFO shootings. Like, it might be an alien base in germany that declares war over france. You don't get this told, but the alien will now only do (aggressive) missions towards that cuntry, untill the war is "over". The military of the cuntrys would also fight in most of the cases, and you COULD make some markers on the globe (off by default) to show hostility in military affairs.

To counter a war, you need to wrack alot of UFOs attacking, or destroy the alien base. The military will calm down then. If you fail in intercepting enougth of the UFO missions, or don't destroy the base in time, a city in the other cuntry is finnished! >:)

Edited by mikker

If you fail in intercepting enougth of the UFO missions, or don't destroy the base in time, a city in the other cuntry is finnished! >:)

I'm sure the Fins on this board will be glad to hear that ^_^

I just found it weird that if a nation signs a pact with the aliens, apart from losing it's funding there's no other consequence, you're still able to build bases on their territory, your overflying skyranger isn't attacked...

I wonder if terror sites still occur in cities from countries that signed a pact with the aliens :unsure:

It doesn't seem to me that the infiltrated countries would wage war on everyone. They're still run by the same people and government. The only difference is that they signed a piece of paper saying "We'll give you loads of alien technology, but we don't want X-COM breathing down our necks." So, they'll cut funding, make X-COM activity difficult in the country, and maybe even go hostile on local bases, but it seems that they wouldn't go into all out war.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.

• 3 weeks later...

I may not be correct with this but i got the impression from reading some of the other posts in the labatory section that the aliens where using people as a food source and generally causing havoc with everything killing and destroying and whatnot.

It strikes me that if you were to go alopng with the aliens eating us then there is no way a country would sign a pact with the aliens

''Yes Mr Alien weve decied that we wont fight and you can eat us all''

How about a slight renaming of the infiltration thing to go with the changed alien concept.

Instead of infiltration it becomes Occupation

So as the aliens carry out missions in that country the army and police forces slowly get pushed further and back by the alien invasion forces.

This could then tie in with funding, funding would be decreased as occupation increased (to represent the damaging of the economy and infrastructure) and would eventually cut off when the goverment decided that it is better spending its money on its own beleguared forces rather than a percieved impotent XCOM force.

Eventually a country could become completely occupied, as in the aliens destroy the defending forces and assume control of the area and are free to harvest humans and construct bases and i would assume start invasions to geographically linked countries to increase their occupation levels.

This way countries would be perceived to be fighting their own wars, this go well with another good idea i thought of having countries special forces being involved in some missions, maybe even them shooting down ufos occasionally e.t.c, and them losing and winning being controlled by how much you aid them.

You can then have a better sense of an invasion as areas of the globe begin to fall if youre bad or playing on hard difficulties, probabaly 3rd world countries as they provide less money, and you trying to destroy the aliens presence to attempt to restore order to the country to get back the funding.

Of course liberating a country would mean it generates much less money than it did before, maybe scaled to how long the aliens controlled the land?, to represent a shattered country.

Just an idea.

No you misunderstand. Infiltration means that the aliens manage to place some of their troops in the involved nation's government, that look like humans.

The nation in question promises to break X-com funding, and allow the aliens free passage in return for alien technology. At least, that's how I always understood it.

And me, but as far as i can tell you are having the aliens using humans as a food source, dont get me wrong but there is nothing you can offer people that will make them sit back and let them eat you and there is very little chance of humans allying with aliens to help them eat other humans.

Nor would they be nieve enough to think that pact with aliens would last.

what i have attempted to come up with is a workaround for this which keeps the effects of infiltration, just under a new name and with the possobilities for major and minor gameplay enhancments after V1.0

The involved government probably don't know about the eating. And as for the reliability of the pact, don't forget the aliens have agents on the inside. They basically run the country from that point on.

The leaders of some countries have done far worse things than giving a few citizens to be eaten. It is not so hard to think a president offering a ton of cowlips and a few criminals in exchance for ultimate technology and peace... And then contracts get renegotiated, Darth Vader style. :devillaugh:

I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further: I find Cpl. Facehugger's lack of on-topicness disturbing... ;)

To keep in the Star-wars mood: "The Empire will compensate you if he dies", the government might know about the abductions, and allow them in small numbers on 'socially unadapted individuals', in exchange for tech, or maybe as some kind of protection money?

I'm wondering why the heck are aliens launching terror sites in infiltrated countrys? They are attacking their own allies and that stupid country doesn't care about it? Why on earth?

I think infiltrated countrys should be popular places for alien bases and the air space would be defended if x-com brings aircrafts there. You couldn't make a base there and if you already have one, it should be attacked at least once a month :devillaugh:

I agree it should be possible to get infiltrated countrys back to x-coms allies. But how? Hmm.. like by destroying all the alien bases in that country and dropping all the ufos on their air space effectively for a month or so..

Maybe we could add some depth to the game and have somekind of contracts offered by infiltrated countrys like "destroy all alien forces here and set up a x-com base for our security and we will ally with x-com again" :huh?:

Maybe we could add some depth to the game and have somekind of contracts offered by infiltrated countrys like "destroy all alien forces here and set up a x-com base for our security and we will ally with x-com again"

Would you spend 1.5M$ to get 100,000$ per month?

If an infiltrated countrie would attack an other countrie, the defending countrie could pay x-com more to build a base on there land and to sell them alien tech.

"Defend us and you a we will refund the cost of the base."

Edited by kelfka

Well that would give the normal advantages of a new x-com base AND would also increase your income with 100 000/month. I would absolutely pay that 1 500 000..

• 4 months later...
Perhaps the pact from XCOM1 should be referred to as a "secret peace treaty" with the aliens... funding to you stops, and all the "hostile" missions like terror and harvesting etc stop, the only missions performed on that country are supply and alien base ones - and in a later version, if you didn't do something about this, then eventually the country becomes a "subverted nation" or "alien ally" etc... - openly hostile to XCOM craft, you have to try and launch missions against them to get them back or suffer a large score loss, etc... so that the path to defeat becomes more of a gradual progression towards nations surrendering to the Aliens, with plenty of oppurtunities at redemption along the way.

• 10 months later...
I was under the impression that the countries that signed pacts were simply buying the aliens off. They agree not to fund xcorp, and they don't get terrorized or attacked. I don't think the aliens are running for public office or anything. The aliens gas most of them anyway if you lose.

I like the idea of countries being taken over and attacking x-corps. It allows for the MIB missions to retake countries. I also think that x-corps should be able to occupy/infiltrate countries (see my morals thread). Furthermore, it should be possible in the game for x-corps' and the aliens' existence to become public knowledge. There'd be politicians who would be saying stuff like "this organization is unfit to do this, lets break off from x-corps and try to fight off the aliens alone". There'd be other countries that support x-corps fully. Then, there'd be the other ones where people think the aliens are their saviors (Apoc/Interceptor Cult of Sirius-like). The aliens would figure this out and launch much more full-scale assaults now that they've lost secrecy. On the planetview you'd have national borders, and a red tint to show alien occupation. You could sell/give allies alien technology, or you could go bad and take over countries yourself. Additionally, you could ICBM alien bases to death. However, you'd continue to launch strikes against alien bases, but there would be more aliens. There would be a third "military" turn between the x-corps and alien one where local military either attacks you or the aliens.

I was under the impression that the countries that signed pacts were simply buying the aliens off. They agree not to fund xcorp, and they don't get terrorized or attacked. I don't think the aliens are running for public office or anything. The aliens gas most of them anyway if you lose.

The aliens don't run for office. They're planted in office. :wink1:

Aren't there potentially 3 things?

1) Terror - i.e. how worried by the alien menace are the general public. If they are very scared then the politicians in charge will sign the pact. In that case X Corps needs to reduce the terror so that people feel safe enough and the politicians might start the funding again.

2) Infiltration - i.e. alien doppelgangers have replaced key leaders or individuals have been bought off (not everywhere has incorruptible politicians after all :D). These individuals then change government policy so that the Alien takeover is no longer opposed and X Corps funding is stopped. Removing the doppelgangers or corrupt politicians could see policy reverting to support of X Corps.

3) Acquiescence - i.e. the aliens somehow persuade the people and politicans that they are friends and are good for that country. This is probably the carrot to the terror stick. Should a country acquiesce then X Corps has a real hearts and minds challenge to reverse the country's stance. In this instance as well you are far more likely to see active opposition of X Corps from the nation.

That means we have a new alien mission type "Propaganda" to encourage acquiescence. :D Or we ignore it an say the aliens only rely on the 1st two methods to subvert X Corps.

• 2 months later...

My input: The governments are promised protection against their foreign enemies by the aliens, and don't have to worry about aliens terrorising their cities (though the aliens do still pick up a few homeless here or there, whenever they can get away with it). In exchange, the government doesn't pay X-COM. If I was at a bargaining table, I'd accept it.

"Click click hiss click click hiss click."

"But you aliens have killed many people! We couldn't possibly sign this."

"Click click click! Hiss click hiss click!"

"You'll eat my children if I don't...? Um. Where do I sign?"

One also presumes that the Xenos' mind control is a more subtle thing when dealing with the governments. You can't control someone without him knowing about it... but you can influence them in very subtle ways to convince them that your plans are ideal for the nation's continued survival.

Edited by jtgibson

The aliens don't run for office. They're planted in office. :wink1:

Why not kick them out of the office? :) Coule be some special random mission opportunities, "Alien agents located in ...", you could go there, and kick their butts, releasing the country from the alien grip.

But in order to make it more challenging, the country "takeovers" should occur more frequently, the "free the country" missions should be very hard (with all the guards and all), but also they should give some extra intel info (base locations, technologies?) if won.

i figure taht what happens is the alien mind control the leaders or mind control someone for puppet political parties after the treaty, or the alien invade the country and keep a few divisions on guard there

"In order to further our cause against our major enemies, a drawn out conflict on Earth is undesirable. It appears the human civlization there has moderately developed government and administrative structures that can be manipulated for our purposes. Infiltration and eventual control of these governments will lend us success with the most discretion and cost effectiveness in the overall war."

-- Overmind

That is my assumption during this idea synopsis. The Aliens realize that humans will be more easily manipulated if their biggest threat is assumed to be themselves. Revealing the full extent of the alien presence would have an undesired effect. Considering those goals, the aliens have three paths to increase their infiltration:

1) Bribery - They find subjects who are willing to cooperate with an unknown party(the Aliens) for furthe profit. Often this includes generals in unstable military juntas or those who fear their neighbors. Even though the meetings are unusual, the Aliens often play upon 'secret US research' legends to hide their true background. Because of X-COMs secret nature, few of these subjects are aware of either party.

2) Fear - This is a tactic more fit for nations that are not very media porous. These leaders usually are intimidated by powerful attacks against military installations or raids on remote, hard to video locations. These subjects almost always are aware of X-COMs existence, which the aliens use to their advantage. The most important hit they try is taking out X-COM sorties and parties within observation of these leaders.

3) Replacement - The other two methods are usually better for beginning penetration, but the time comes when Sectoid/human hybrid clones are more effective. In very media open nations replacement is the only method that has much chance of furthuring goals with discretion. Usually attacks in those nations are aimed at creating a situation where policy and governmental change is less questioned. Often they play on fears of terrorism and urban legends by attacking with human weapons or near fear weapons and human uniforms. A muton in an army uniform looks like some kind of bad military secret project.

Effects on Terror Missions:

The old terror missions are almost completely gone now. Democratic nations have human-look alikes raising cain or gas attacks or something similair. Often they use laser rifles, upgraded human rifles or something similair rather than the goodies. Media closed nations will often have full out attacks on military installations of recalcitrant military leaders. Saving the base from the alien onslaught will earn you big points with that leader. Finally you have replacement missions where the aliens land, abduct the guy, take them to a base for cloning, and install the new guy.

Effects on X-COM:

You can also do any or all of these missions to further your goals, if you have the scruples to do so. You can attack military bases to convince base leaders that X-COM is a much better friend than foe. You can create stings for bribed leaders, or even have a double agent if you get good intel. You can also replace leaders or attack civilians, if you dare.

Alien controlled nations:

Of course they quit funding, but somehow it is justified since the project never existed. However on their radars, which can detect you, you are not a friendly and will be ordered to be shot down on site. Expect the Area 51 guys and their counterparts to be at crash and landing sites to assisst in security. Finally expect them to have laser cannons, laser tanks, laser rifles, and all those goodies which do not require xenium.

• 1 year later...