XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Windows Vista And Xcom Apocalypse

Mark0

Hello everyone

I have tried to run X-com Apocalypse under Windows Vista Ultimate and i was successfull ^_^

1st i will start with the important hardware of my laptop

2Ghz dual core Intel CPU

2GBs of RAM

256MB SHARED Intel Graphics accelerator ( not that good but mehh.. its a laptop) :P

---------------------------

I have 2 solutions to make this game run.

The 1st solution is the same steps that are in the Sticky thread except that Windows Vista will not run the game at the end

The 2nd solution is DosBox. ( I would say it is the best Solution for everyone here )

The 1st solution:

Follow the step by step guide that i have written for previous Windows Versions : http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=841

Once all the step are done.

Try running SETUP.exe, XCOMAPOC.exe or the .BAT file you created.

IF all three works, then count yourself lucky.

IF all Three gives you the exact same message : " This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose ?Close? to terminate the application. "

Here is your solution

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/27/w...-windows-vista/

When you go to this web page, You will have 2 Workarrounds.

I would avise you to take the 2nd workarround which is to Roll back your Video Cards Drivers to SVGA. Follow the steps on how to do it.

NOTE: Rolling back your Video Cards Drivers is at your own risk.

Be careful; when you do this. The only reason i am giving this warning is because while doing this, my Windows Vista froze( YEs i made Vista freeze! :P)

After rebooting i saw a difference with the graphics.

I got able to run Setup.exe and run the game.

------------------

Solution #2 (Suggested solution)

Get Dosbox , install it and run it

I will only give you the basic commands.

Let's say X-com Apocalypse is in C:\XCOMA

In dosbox:

Mount c c:\xcoma

(This will mount and emulate c:\xcoma under c: )

type: c: (enter)

Now it will take you to C:\> but for real, you will be in C:\xcoma folder

type: xcomapoc.exe and your game should run

Here, your game will run without sound since it is not possible to run SETUP.exe under Dosbox.

The only solution that i have to run SETUP.exe is to follow solution 1. Once the configuration is done,reroll your drivers to the original drivers, run dosbox and you will have sound.

• 7 months later...
Guest Xellith
Hello everyone

I have tried to run X-com Apocalypse under Windows Vista Ultimate and i was successfull ^_^

1st i will start with the important hardware of my laptop

2Ghz dual core Intel CPU

2GBs of RAM

256MB SHARED Intel Graphics accelerator ( not that good but mehh.. its a laptop) :P

I have 2 solutions to make this game run.

The 1st solution is the same steps that are in the Sticky thread except that Windows Vista will not run the game at the end

The 2nd solution is DosBox. ( I would say it is the best Solution for everyone here )

The 1st solution:

Follow the step by step guide that i have written for previous Windows Versions : http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=841

Once all the step are done.

Try running SETUP.exe, XCOMAPOC.exe or the .BAT file you created.

IF all three works, then count yourself lucky.

IF all Three gives you the exact same message : " This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose ?Close? to terminate the application. "

Here is your solution

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/27/w...-windows-vista/

When you go to this web page, You will have 2 Workarrounds.

I would avise you to take the 2nd workarround which is to Roll back your Video Cards Drivers to SVGA. Follow the steps on how to do it.

NOTE: Rolling back your Video Cards Drivers is at your own risk.

Be careful; when you do this. The only reason i am giving this warning is because while doing this, my Windows Vista froze( YEs i made Vista freeze! :P)

After rebooting i saw a difference with the graphics.

I got able to run Setup.exe and run the game.

------------------

Solution #2 (Suggested solution)

Get Dosbox , install it and run it

I will only give you the basic commands.

Let's say X-com Apocalypse is in C:\XCOMA

In dosbox:

Mount c c:\xcoma

(This will mount and emulate c:\xcoma under c: )

type: c: (enter)

Now it will take you to C:\> but for real, you will be in C:\xcoma folder

type: xcomapoc.exe and your game should run

Here, your game will run without sound since it is not possible to run SETUP.exe under Dosbox.

The only solution that i have to run SETUP.exe is to follow solution 1. Once the configuration is done,reroll your drivers to the original drivers, run dosbox and you will have sound.

doesnt work for me or im a retard. i downloaded xcom3 off a torrent and i just cant get it to work for me at all >_< at one point i got it onto some kind of installation screen on dosbox but it didnt want to install and i dont know what the heck is going on >_< if-you-see-KayING DOS!!!. seriously who the heck decided that dos would be a good idea?

HELP.

since i got it off a torrent and it doesnt use a CD i dont know where im at. damn i hate dos. but i love xcom: enemy unknown on my PS1 and i wanna test this one (i wasnt too fond of terror of the deep to be totally honest)

any and all help on this subject would be greatly appreciated /kneel.

EDIT:

said if-you-see-Kay it and just installed XP on a seperate partition LOL. I guess i REALLY wanna play this game LOL

Edited by Xellith

• 2 months later...

Those old links to files needed does not work, what to do?

And does anyone know how to increase disc size in dosbox? it says i have only 105mb, and it needs 200 for the full install. Got that working atleast..

I can't run the setup file either.

Edited by Tokk

You could just do the smallest install and then manually copy over all the game directories that it did not copy over. The game will first check the install directory for the file, if it can't find it, it'll check the CD-Rom drive. The full install is not a true full install. I had to manually copy the animations over to the harddrive to cut down the load time whenever they played. Not that it really helps too much as the smk player used by Apocalypse is gimped and stutters the animation.

- NKF

You can play it without the cd? According to my install program i dont have a cdrom, that might be why it doesnt work, which files need to be copied?

Atleast i managed to increase the disc size with -freesize 1024 command.

Guest Azrael Strife
seriously who the heck decided that dos would be a good idea?

Says a guy who thought installing Windows Vista was a good idea :rolleyes:

:laugh:

You can play it without the cd? According to my install program i dont have a cdrom, that might be why it doesnt work, which files need to be copied?

Atleast i managed to increase the disc size with -freesize 1024 command.

Not without patching the game. The plain vanilla method of just installing it and then copying over all the uncopied files does mean that the game will only need to access the CD for verification and for the music.

- NKF