XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Geoscape Shader

dteviot

A couple of screenshots to show the problem with Daylight and bump mapping on the Geoscape.

Image 03 is day/night only, no bumping.

Image 02, is day/night with bump logic separated. (note that terrain gets dark because bump logic regards earth as a giant "bump".)

Image 01 is the current shader, which incorrectly combines bump and nighttime. Note that there are lights showing in the dark daylight areas.

01_RKsBumpMap.JPG

02_BumpAndNightDecoupled.JPG

03_BumpTurnedOff.JPG

Any ideas on how to fix would be appreciated. I have vague idea of only using east/west information for bump map, and ignore north/south.

Edited by dteviot

Mhhh one may argue that the calculation should be done from transformed light direction and that night lights get started before it is completely dark :) ... however, what you have to do is use the unmodified (undistorted normal) to do the blending ( TextureDay * ( 1 - S ) + TextureN * S ). So that means that the S have to be calculated before doing Normal = RealNormal * BumpTexture(x,y) :) --- Not actual code but pseudo code ---

Greetings

Red Knight

Red Knight, here's my Geoscape shader maths, please explain what I'm doing wrong.

We can get the day/night by taking the dot product of the earth's normal (with no bump map) and the sun's direction.

So, a positive value means daylight, and a negative value means night.

float sunlight = dot(Input.TangentToWorld[2], Input.LightDirection);

However, this gives us a light that's maximum at the "sun at midday" position, and fading as we move to the day/night boundry (terminator.)

What we want is a light that quickly brightens from night, and then remains constant at max.

(we also want a small amount of light all the time, so that we can see the underlying map, even at night.)

float ambient = clamp(sunlight * 3, 0.25, 1.0)

Night is essentially the inverse of sunlight, except that lights start going on slightly before nightfall occurs, and they turn off completely.

float night = clamp((0.2 - sunlight) * 3, 0.0, 1.0)

Putting this together, this gives the image I showed with day/night, but no bump.

Output.Color = (diffuseTexture * ambient) + (nightTexture * night);

When I add mix bump with ambient, I get the image with day/night and bump (with it looking like the sun never reaches europe)

float bump = max(dot(normalFromMap, Input.LightDirection), 0)

Output.Color = (diffuseTexture * ambient * bump) + (nightTexture * night);

• 5 months later...

I may have finally found a solution to bump mapping the earth.

Shader X6, Chapter 2.1 "The care and feeding of normal vectors", shows how to apply bump maps to spheres.

Now if I can just figure out the Partial Differential Matrices that the chapter is full of. :(