XCOMUFO & Xenocide

I brought this topic up many many months ago....I believe there should be locked/unlocked doors in battlescape....this way you can have a few choices
1. Have lockpicking device that has to be researched
2. Shoot the door open
3. Aliens have no idea how to pick locks so would have to shoot it open if they'd want to pass through
4. Alien Base doors could have some sort of lockdown method that we can't pick and would have to blast through it

Just a few suggestions

I've always thought there shold be quarantined areas in certain maps like this. However, maybe we could forego the lockpicking stuff (at least at bases or landed ships), and instead have to access those locked down areas by interacting with a computer terminal. Imagine being at an alien base, you've cleaned out the command center but now you don't know what's behind door #3. Now imagine you have several buttons that you don't know their function so you press some randomly until...

"Base will self destruct in 3 Turns. Thank you and have a nice day."

Oops, but I meant to open that door! Eeek!

But now I wonder, should forced entry with explosives be any better for you :)

Might be kinda nasty to discover you'd found the Fusion Ball storage :devillaugh: Edited by Snakeman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Maybe not all aliens though :)

Imagine how deadly they be if they would think a LOT before doing stuff.

I dont believe they would let a base filled with trained enemies survive - they'd rather

find out the position, and then infiltrate there when for example most people are out

with an avenger flying to another site... and when they return, they be greeted with deadly

traps... too smart aliens would be deadly

You raise a good point shevegen. And though I can't remember a thread about it, retaking an X-COM base of yours would be a cool mission. Then at least, your dealing (partially) with a known area to you. Partially cause the aliens may have begun altering and building in other facilities if it took you a while to mobilize the attack.

Might also be fun to find people who couldn't evacuate who you had to rescue or put out of their own misery :) And maybe if its early after the aliens had stormed it, maybe there's a soldier, engineer or three holed up in one section of the base still mustering some kind of fight. Atmospheric stuff like this fun to explore.

And with regard to the original subject of this post, doors...It also gives you and the aliens things to do in strategic ways. Booby traps, changing door codes after you've swept an area etc. before moving on to a new area to clear. Course, can't do anything really if they'd shot holes in walls 'cept maybe plant proximities in those cases, but its still interesting to ponder.

• 4 weeks later...