XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo Ai

T0TM5

Now I know this has been raised before (to take one example - http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7697 ). However this is something I am excited about and would like to try to acomplish. I am a C++ developer and having looked over the code I would like to take a stab at implementing something.

A few questions remain however, should this be an added feature or a branch or the existing codebase? It seems a little redundant to implement such a feature in a project whose goal is online play. I suppose the reason I am posting this is I would like to chat with some of the current development team (be it via email / skype etc) so that I can actually help this project ( as I love UFO 2000 ) rather than go off and effectively do my own thing (which is basically what forking would amount to.)

All comments and feedback appreciated - Devs / Guys who are working on UFO 2000, please get in contact via PM and I will send you my details.

Now I know this has been raised before (to take one example - http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7697 ). However this is something I am excited about and would like to try to acomplish. I am a C++ developer and having looked over the code I would like to take a stab at implementing something.

Nice.

A few questions remain however, should this be an added feature or a branch or the existing codebase? It seems a little redundant to implement such a feature in a project whose goal is online play.

Not really. Having AI is also important even for a purely network game. It is useful to have a possibility to learn game mechanics and get some basic training before going against human opponents :)

I suppose the reason I am posting this is I would like to chat with some of the current development team (be it via email / skype etc) so that I can actually help this project ( as I love UFO 2000 ) rather than go off and effectively do my own thing (which is basically what forking would amount to.)

All comments and feedback appreciated - Devs / Guys who are working on UFO 2000, please get in contact via PM and I will send you my details.

I don't like PM and private communication and try to avoid it unless it is *really* needed. This just results in:

1. forcing me or somebody else from the team to discuss the same things over and over again with different people

2. contributing more to a perceived 'dead' status of the project

... so that I can actually help this project ( as I love UFO 2000 ) rather than go off and effectively do my own thing (which is basically what forking would amount to.)

And I want to specifically reply to this part.

Forks are really welcome. You can also use game server, this forum and most of the infrastructure which already exists. Of course, patches against the current SVN are better. There should be no problem at all if they are non controversial or clearly separated from the rest of the code. But if you want to introduce some large scale changes to the sources, I'm afraid that we will just not be able to properly review them in the current state of the project, so forking (or branching) may be unavoidable.

Small and clean bugfixes are the most valuable contributions at the moment.