XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xcom Windowed Mode Work 100%.

Guest xcom05

Guest xcom05

Did anyone tried or heard of D3Dwindower ?

This is a small program created by the japanese, it allows you to play games in windowed mode.

I came across this program from this fallout forum, Fallout

D3DWindower can be download here, D3DWindower (look for something like DirectX near the top)

Unzip the "D3DWindower.lzh" to anywhere you like using winrar.

I'd already tried XCOM1&2, Fallout1&2 and Jagged Alliance2,

All worked perfect in windowed mode.

Here are the steps :-

1. created a XCOM shotcut on the desktop.

2. Run D3Dwindower.

3. Click the "+" button, locate the xcom shotcut.

4. Click the "Play" button.

5. Double click the xcom shotcut, enjoy playing XCOM in windowed mode. :)

If you have the mouse cursor problem, try this:-

Before running the game, in D3Dwindower, click the button beside the computer icon, click the last tab and tick the bottom left box.

You can also change the "window" resolution :-

In D3dwindower, there are two boxes with number 0, change the value to

any resolution you like. For e.g. 640 and 480.

Guest xcom05

Hi, Jooboo,

D3DWindower only work for XCom Collector's Edition,

It will not work by running xcom through xcomfix.exe or xcom loader.

Other than that, all xcom1&2 exe including xcom (ce) Et by Max work 100%.

Maybe you can try this and see whether it work or not :-

Depending on which Xcom game you want to play,

Copy both D3DWindower.exe and D3Dhook.dll to either Xcom1 or Xcom2 folder, run D3dwindower.exe from there, click "+", locate and open UFODefense.exe or TerrorFromTheDeep.exe.

Click "Play" button, and finally double click the UFODefense.exe or TerrorFromTheDeep.exe, it should work now. :)

• 2 months later...

I tried to use this program today, when I wanted to play Dungeon Keeper (I got X-Com working already).

Don't bother configuring in the program menu, instead run it once, and then look into hook.ini file. There should be a clear understandable config.

I had also some serious problem with mouse cursor, but I made it work by some trial and error with UseCursor... variables (msg, get, clip on; set off)

• 10 months later...

man i should really sign up to this forum...

I managed to get windowed mode working on one computer but when i tired the same with his Xcom i followed the exact same steps but it wouldn't window :(

Guest Guest
man i should really sign up to this forum...

I managed to get windowed mode working on one computer but when i tired the same with his Xcom i followed the exact same steps but it wouldn't window  :(

"His" being my friend

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

It WORKS!!!! IT WORKS!!!!

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!!

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!

I can play X-COM and TFTD!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=b =b =b =b =b =b =b =b :D :D :D :D :D :D :D =b =b =b =b =b

• 1 month later...
Guest hbarret
Hi, I can get this to work but the colour on TFTD is distorted - I've tried disabling DDraw but it doesn't work. How can I fix this problem?

It's ok I figuredd it out - to anyone that has trouble with getting TFTD to work in windowed mode (esp. if the screen comes up all multi-coloured) try this:

Right click on TFTD exe. then go to properties and in the target line type -w after the title.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Alright, much apologies for the necromancy, but if someone could translate the buttons, it would be great.

This program has so much potential.

• 2 months later...
Alright, much apologies for the necromancy, but if someone could translate the buttons, it would be great.

This program has so much potential.

You dont need a translation. Edit any setting then hit OK. Go to where the D3DWindower.exe is and look for hook.ini. All the setting are listed in english

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hronk

Some necromancy to explain how to get this working with XcomUtil.

Installation

* Unzip the all magically patched and what not version.

* Unzip xcomutil in the directory.

XComUtil Setup

* Run xcusetup.bat.

* * Edit RunXComW.bat.

* * * Place "start /w " no quotes before each occurence of sdump, xcomutrt, and xcomutil

* * * Replace all occurences of "xcopy" no quotes with "xcopy /y"

D3DWindower

* Download D3DWindower (first link from here: http://www.geocities.jp/menopem/) , unzip it into the directory.

* Run D3DWindower. Using the plus button, add geoscape.exe, tactical.exe, ufo.exe, xcloader.exe, ufo defense.exe.

* Per Xcom05's instructions above, do this for each application you just added:

* * Before running the game, in D3Dwindower, click the button beside the computer icon, and use the file path input box to locate D3DHook.dll that came with D3DWindower.

* Quit D3DWindower. Open up hook.ini, and change the following values:

* * Width & Height to whatever you want. I've only tried 4:3 ratios up to 1400x1050.

* * UseDirectInput=1

* * UseCursorMsg=0

* * UseCursorSet=1

* * UseCursorGet=1

* * UseCursorClip=1

* Quit D3Dwindower.

To play the game, open D3DWindower; press the play button; run RunXComW.bat.

This is working great, with the exception that sometimes I have to fling the mouse back and forth a bit to get it to show up in the window.

Edited by Hronk

Hey, if someone could explain Hronk's last command:

" One extra bit I missed:

XComUtil Setup

* Remove all occurences of ">>xcomutil.log" no quotes

* Remove all lines starting with echo."

Would be helpful, i'm a total n00b when it comes to command line stuff, I missed learning all that stuff by a few years =(

• 1 month later...

I found an English version of D3D Windower! :)

Download from my site, here:

dungeondelve.net

The D3D Windower can also be used with the PS1 MP3 music patch. It's a little tricky because the music patch adds a new "Launcher" executable. DON'T add this "Launcher.exe" to the D3D Windower. You need to add the "UFO Defense.exe" to the Windower (and click the 'play' button), but still launch the game using the "Launcher". The Launcher will start the music and then once the true game starts, the Windower will kick in.

Edited by lumin

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Hey thanks for telling me about this. I recently got back into the X-COM series when i bought X-COM Terror off steam. It worked fine on my friends pc so thought nothing about it when i got home and tried it on mine. To my horror I found that due to my wide screen monitor it cut some of the screen off and my monitor could not auto adjust to make it fit properly. So this app has helped with my original collectors edition and my newly purchased steam addition. I would advise though the you do a little searching and find the English version of the app. It's not hard to find (found mine on file front) and makes it a tad easier :) again much appreciated help on this one :)

• 8 months later...

Works excellent with my laptop. Had a blank screen problem before. Here are the steps I took (fujitsu laptop with XP)

- D3DWindower-English.exe and D3dHook.dll to game directory.

- + button, added both "ufo.exe" and "ufo defence.exe" files

- activate "ufo defence.exe" icon and push settings button and choose height 640 and width 480.

- double click ufo.exe in D3Dwindower

- PLAY

Thank you so much. An year ago I wouldn't have believed I can play ufo with my laptop someday.

• 4 weeks later...
Works excellent with my laptop. Had a blank screen problem before. Here are the steps I took (fujitsu laptop with XP)

- D3DWindower-English.exe and D3dHook.dll to game directory.

- + button, added both "ufo.exe" and "ufo defence.exe" files

- activate "ufo defence.exe" icon and push settings button and choose height 640 and width 480.

- double click ufo.exe in D3Dwindower

- PLAY

Thank you so much. An year ago I wouldn't have believed I can play ufo with my laptop someday.

I got this to work.. It runs the game in windowed mode. Unfortunately, it also comes up with scrambled graphics. Anybody have a fix for this?

Yeah, play button doesn't work for me either, just tried to have xcomutil running, as it doesn't activate BladeFireLight's Vista fix, and did nothing.

The problem is DirectDrawAccel.. If you can shut off DirectDrawAccel either manually (dxdiag.exe), through 3DWindower, or through a Third Party Program (in order to apply it ONLY to UFODefense.exe) then it should solve the problem.

Thing is, the game still runs extremely fast on my machine. So, I went to my Nvidia Settings, and created a Custom Profile for UFO, where I disabled Vertical Sync (VSync = Force off). This should correct the "speed" problem to SOME extent. Any aspect of the game which is dependent upon processor speed will still be abnormally fast but any graphical aspect of the game which needs to be rendered will do so at a 'normal' speed. To my knowledge, it fixes the games clock.

If anybody could please test this and confirm/deny my findings, that would be appreciated.

Update:

I have tried running the "XComUtil" version of this, where you load several of the exe files in and then run the bat file to start the game. It works fine until I load battlescape. Once battlescape loads, it crashes.

Anybody know why?

• 9 months later...

Done. :)

- Zombie

Sebs UFOLoader should probably also be listed somewhere easily accessible to guests. It's not listed on www.xcomufo.com.

I'm thinking there should be an 'up to date' forum topic or webpage dedicated to troubleshooting X-Com and TFTD *and* applying mods and getting them to work under various circumstances. Right now things seem to be rather spread out and it would be helpful to have all of the options and necessary troubleshooting steps in one place. I seem to be one of the only people who has mentioned Enabling V-Sync as a troubleshooting solution, for example.. Not sure what results others have had with this but I think it deserves some further testing and feedback.

Just putting those suggestions out there. I know this post is relatively off topic. I would be willing to undertake this task myself if others are willing to contribute their experience/expertise/suggestions/comments/knowledge.

A good start would be a complete list of known "bugs" (available on X-Com Wiki) and common problems getting X-Com to work under various OS's (somewhat addressed on xcomufo.com), combined with a list of all known Mods and patches, along with what exactly they fix/modify.

I'm thinking of maybe even creating a table making all of this information easy to access.

Example:

[ _ ] [Program/Mod]

[Problem ] [ X ]

Anybody interested in this please feel free to contact me

Email/MSN: [email protected]

Email/AIM : [email protected]

I've never been able to get XcomUtil to work properly with 3DWindower..

Sebs Loader + Moks mod is my suggestion.

I can window it properly, just not resize it.

Are you using any executable mods? (xcomfix1, Moksmod, etc).

Most of them support different resolutions.

Are you using any executable mods? (xcomfix1, Moksmod, etc).

Most of them support different resolutions.

No I am not. Care to drop a link?

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242029192

The 2nd post in that thread has 2 of the 3, including some instructions and details.

http://www.xcomufo.com/ldr_XCOM1.exe

I believe this is the other one... You may need patch.dll to make this work. Check http://www.xcomufo.com/x1faq.html for more info.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay I have been having trouble running XCOM with the D3DWindower...

But I have found another way! It's DxWnd and it works for me in Windows 7.

URL for DxWnd is http://www.nynaeve.net/?p=52 or direct download link here

Unzip to the file above to anywhere on your computer

Double click the DxWnd executable

Choose configure and point to your UFO Defense executable.

Be sure to check the 'Slow to framerate' option or may have speed issues when scrolling battlescape map.

Then choose Run and pick UFO again, you can also choose create shortcut and place it anywhere you want to start DxWnd'd XCOM automatically

Here are the options I have found to work best, you can change the resolution to suit your needs.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4648/dxwnd.jpg

P.S I am running this using the ET_2005 patch

• 1 month later...

I don't usually say this to random people on the interwebs... but I love you!!! Thanks to you I can do less studying more OCD graph staring at/ saving constantly/ naming and classifying every soldier... oh and kill aliens and save the world for about the 50th time...

Okay I have been having trouble running XCOM with the D3DWindower...

But I have found another way! It's DxWnd and it works for me in Windows 7.

URL for DxWnd is http://www.nynaeve.net/?p=52 or direct download link here

Unzip to the file above to anywhere on your computer

Double click the DxWnd executable

Choose configure and point to your UFO Defense executable.

Be sure to check the 'Slow to framerate' option or may have speed issues when scrolling battlescape map.

Then choose Run and pick UFO again, you can also choose create shortcut and place it anywhere you want to start DxWnd'd XCOM automatically

Here are the options I have found to work best, you can change the resolution to suit your needs.

P.S I am running this using the ET_2005 patch

Edited by TheHippopotamus

Ok so how do I window CE while using Seb's loader? I can window it without Seb's, but not with?

Assuming you're running Windows XP you should be able to use Seb's loader with D3DWindower. All you have to do is set up your UFO.exe file in D3DWindower, like you normally would.. Then you run Sebs loader while you have the UFO.exe "activated". Since Sebs loader is basically just a batch file which indirectly runs UFO.exe, this should work. At least, it used to work for me. Unfortunately, I am on Windows7 right now so I can't test this myself.

Oh, and, it doesn't work on Windows 7. Never tested Vista.

In response to Thestoo.. I am going to try your method. I'll let you know what my results are.

Update: I ran DxWind.. It works well for getting the game itself to work on Windows7. But, I can do that just as well with D3DWindower. Problem I am running into is getting Sebs loader to work along with it. Anyone figured out why after running Sebsloader Windows7 conveniently forgets all of the settings and tries to run the game fullscreen so it crashes?

Update #2: HAHAHAH.. I love you, too.

So, after deciding I probably wasn't going to get Sebs loader to work with X-Com, I decided to just play x-com without the mods... But, guess what? It worked. I ran the normal exe file (UFO Defense.exe) through DxWind, AFTER having already run Sebs loader a few times. Apparently Sebs loaders settings actually stuck!

I'm not sure how to explain this to others... But, I'll try to break it down:

1. Install X-COM

2. Install Moks mod.

3. Install Sebs Loader

4. Install DxWind as described above

5. Run DxWind

6. Apply the DxWind settings to "UFO Defense.exe"

7. Run game to verify it works.

8. Quit Game

9. Apply DxWind Settings to "UFO loader" (the Sebs Loader application)

10. Run "UFO Loader" through DxWind.. It will probably not work.

11. Run DxWind again and "Run" "UFO Defense.exe" through DxWind

12. Check and see if your SebsLoader is running by going to "Equip craft" and "Soldiers".. If you see the arrow keys allowing you to rearrange the location of your soldiers; this worked.

Update #3:

I just experienced a crash. To be more precise, the game "Stopped responding". I'll keep testing. Maybe this was a fluke.

Edited by EtherImp