XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Emp Weaponry

Guest Azrael Strife

Guest Azrael
If the aliens had some sort of EMP based weaponry, they could shut down automated defenses and equipment, like motion trackers (if any), any computer targeting systems, base defenses and lights (as I posted in Base Facilites). Of course, our X-Corps could acquire them later.

EMP weapons...Hmm. They would also be effective against alien mechanical units such as the terror disk and the Artopod? (See the names list in the Workshops for those names if you can't figure them out yourself.)

Guest Azrael
They could be, not that an EMP granade could shut down an Artopod, but it could be twice as effective as a normal granade. Double damage to mechanical units, or maybe an aim penalty to mech units affected.

• 10 months later...

I know we all enjoy the idea of out gunning the aliens, but wouldn't it be more fun if we started of at a disadvantage and actually improved ourself up to equals? Besides, most emp weapons we have are large bulky, and undirected...

Give the aliens a fighting chance, then it'll be a whole lot more fun to slaughter them.

It's already been discussed about emp for exploding power sources, but i don't know about weapons.... Humans don't have enough mechanical units to make it usefull, unless it shuts down major systems of the flying and power suits, so walking is 2x as difficult and you can't fly...

and then it becomes a bit unbalanced when you blast the entire map with it and you have no mechanical units left, so maybe the bleed could do some damage to flesh(to stop usage at point blank if this is ever implemented)

• 1 month later...

Here's an odd proposal. The aliens are aliens, right? They don't have to stick to the same rules as we do, right?

Enter EJP. The J stands for 'jelly'. Just let your imagination take over for a second. ;)

I know, I know, it sounds silly, but basically the idea is to have an odd goop-like substance that is highly conductive to electricity. Little metal spheres in the goop provide an electromagnetic pulse every so often (once a turn) for a limited duration.

The goop is fired in little canisters that explode on contact (grenades or rpgs, for example) or is secreted onto it target or is spilled over a small area (as a trap). On humans, it basically electrocutes them to death with additional damage dealt every turn (depends also on any protection they are wearing) until the goop is removed or wears off. On electronic equipment, it deals continuous electrical damage until it fries the circuitry completely.

You could say that this is basically the aliens throwing jellyfish at their enemies. Kind of, but not quite. If you've ever had jellyfish tentacles wrap around your limbs, you'd probably have an idea of what I'm getting at. It's not pleasant at all.

Of course, I guess people would still prefer an instantaneous kill-all-electronic thingy device that produces a wide electromagnetic wave of some sort.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

That actually sounds cool. Consider too that if we're advancing to the point of using EMP more widely with X-COM's future, I'd think they'd go to the expense of making their equipment shielded from it.

Still, I like the jellyfish thing. Maybe you could say they bypass being affected when we use it on them simply because they're organic. Its one thing to say it'll work on technology, but if some of their technology is organic in nature, maybe that can be the alien's response to our responses in advancement heh.