#1 GraemeMor

GraemeMor

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:29 AM

Hi,

I've spent many hours looking around for the sound effects used in Xcom. Mainly the menu sounds as I would like to use them for my windows opening/minimising etc sounds.

I've never managed to actually find these sounds for download. I've heard they were not original and I've definitely heard the menu sounds used in films and on tv shows.

So I'm wondering does anyone know where to get these sounds. If they are not about for download, does anyone know a way of extracting them from the game and saving the a wav/mp3 files?

Thanks,
Graeme.

#2 Pi Masta

Pi Masta

Sergeant

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:39 PM

Hrmmm, the CE version looks like it has MIDI's of the music. The sounds look like they are in some .CAT files in wave format, but I don't know how to extract them.

Take a look at this UFOpeadia article

This site might be helpful as well. They seem to contain tons of sounds and music that are royalty free.
www.sounddogs.com

#3 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:21 PM

A lot of the sound effects in the game are stock sound effects that you'll be able to find easily in the public domain. It just takes a bit of searching.

Actually, if you fiddle with the sound schemes that come with Windows (you may have to install them off the installation CD if they were left out) and you'll find that a lot of the X-Com interface bleeps and bloops are present in the theme sets.

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

Reply to this topic