XCOMUFO & Xenocide

What I Saw

mamutas

Hi everyone,

I finally got time to read through the forums and, the most important, to obtain the new code. First, I need to say that I was really, and I can say it again, really impressed to see what state the project is in. It looks like it has made as much progress in the last 2 months as it did in whole 2 years (well, not really, but the comparision sounds cool :NyaNyaNya: )

Anyway, I got the Quick Start and started from the scratch. I allow myself to note here a couple of minor issues, I have noticed.

The Updater application

The Quick Start guide tells to check 'all packages' in order to update all the packages. But in reality, you need to have something selected in the combobox, otherwise the application will do nothing. Really minor, but I workaround this issue just by pure luck. The first thing I did is obtained its code and tried to figure out what is wrong. :P Anyway, it should be noted in the doc, IMHO, or something.

The Game

1) I noticed that when I press on the buttons (it is especially noticeable in the Planetview), the text is moved a few pixels to the left and it stays there after the button is released. Is it my problem only?

2) It seems that some MouseMove event are lost or not received. For example, when I want to move the option dialog around, it moves OK at first, but then later it stops. Or, when I try to zoom in/out by pressing RMB, it works in distinct steps. What I mean it works, but then it stops, although I keep holding and moving mouse, and then it starts working again. Is it my problem only or someone else saw it?

The Code

As a programmer, I can't stop saying: "Great Work!". But as a person, who sees it for the first time, I would like to have more comments. :P Please understand, there are some comments, and code is written fairly clean, but IMHO opinion, there should be more comments. Your successors will surely appreciate it later. :blink2:

Please, don't blame for being that much negative at the first post - I meant no harm!

As for now, I am going to look at the bug database you have, in attempt to find a short (that is what i am going to concentrate on now, the short tasks), but if you can come up with some - let me know, please.

The Updater application

The Quick Start guide tells to check 'all packages' in order to update all the packages. But in reality, you need to have something selected in the combobox, otherwise the application will do nothing. Really minor, but I workaround this issue just by pure luck. The first thing I did is obtained its code and tried to figure out what is wrong.  :P Anyway, it should be noted in the doc, IMHO, or something.

I fixed it and there's update. Just LiveUpdate the updater to get the patch. Actually I did it a day or two ago, but haven't time to mention it ;)

Anyway thanks for warm words. I'm working on commenting and cleaning the code all the time. Rincewind and SupSuper are adding more functionality (and code to clean :wink1: ) and so it goes. Welcome back :)

Guyver

good to have you back mamutas :)

The Code

As a programmer, I can't stop saying: "Great Work!". But as a person, who sees it for the first time, I would like to have more comments.  :P Please understand, there are some comments, and code is written fairly clean, but IMHO opinion, there should be more comments. Your successors will surely appreciate it later.  :blink2:

hmmm, i usually don't comment my code because when i read the code it seems pretty obvious what it does (well, to me anyways), but i guess others might not find it so obvious, so i'll try to add comments here and there. i'm just afraid they might get more confusing than the code :P

The Code

As a programmer, I can't stop saying: "Great Work!". But as a person, who sees it for the first time, I would like to have more comments.  :P Please understand, there are some comments, and code is written fairly clean, but IMHO opinion, there should be more comments. Your successors will surely appreciate it later.  :blink2:

I'll try to do better this year. I promise. :fingerscrossed: :)

I'm affraid that the moving the text movement when pushing buttons cannot be avoided, it's caused by CEGUI alingment code. You can althou try to move them a little (like 0.5 pixel), that could work.

Guyver

Do you mean to move the text back and forth when button is pressed and released? The workable solution, of course, but sounds more like a hack. Can we open a defect against CEGUI? It is not a big deal, so we can wait for them to fix it, if they will ever do.

Also, no one has responded about lost mouse events, so I assume noone else saw them. Right?

Edited by mamutas

Laggy mouse is in debug build (at least on my machine) so in release build everything goes like it's supposed to.

As to the text, I'm talking about moving widgets a little in layouts (like 0.5 pixel, which is 0.5/800 in relative X coord and 0.5/600 in relative Y). Just adjust layouts a little.

Guyver

Now everything is aligned using following formula:

float x = xCoordOfWidgetOrCharacter;
x = (float)(int)(x + 0.5);

That way it's aligned and rounded to nearest integer. This alignment can cause movement of quads that make up the UI if that alignment is done more than once per quad. Crazy Eddie did this fast fix and he said that it's not final, it's just to improve quality of text and UI rendering (becouse when pixel isn't aligned to integers then texels (pixels in texture) aren't aligned with screen pixels, which causes filtering and loss of quality).

Guyver

I actually realized what were you saying about the alignment shortly after I made my post (sorry, I did not clean it and made you to answer :blush1: ). And it was silly of me, cause I remember I had worked on the similar real-to-integer alignment issue myself.

However, what I did not understand is why the alignment is made more than once?

Well, that's the question we need to ask Crazy Eddie. Anyway I'm not even sure if it's aligned more than once, but for some strange reason when you push a button then text moves slightly. So that's my guess about that more than once alingment, but to be honest I don't have idea why those move when button is pushed. :blush1:

Guyver

there's also some text that moves when you click on it, so it's probably coded to re-align a window when it's clicked or something. and in some cases it happens with sizes (changing slightly after clicked).