XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Heavy Plasma Rifle

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HEAVY PLASMA

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Weapons/Heavy Plasma

The heavy plasma is the most powerful non-explosive weapon in the Aliens’ arsenal. Combining accuracy, firepower, and relatively light weight, this weapon is a favored choice by the Aliens - for good reason.

The weapon’s appearance is known to cause fear in the bravest of troopers, particularly those who have seen what it is capable of. The huge barrel caliber, prominent magneto-dynamic prongs, and overall size only hint at its destructive power. Yet beneath the deadly-looking exterior lies circuitry so advanced that its basic mechanics are not yet understood.

The plasma generation chamber is a work of art. After the two fluids are pumped into the chamber, an electromagnetic pulse produces a tremendous explosion that transforms the raw ammunition into plasma. The chamber reflects most of the energy, but harnesses some and uses it to ensure that none of the newly formed plasma contacts any interior surface. The plasma is then accelerated out of the barrel using electromagnetic fields.

Four magneto-dynamic prongs are used to collimate, control, and further accelerate the plasma. By the time the plasma leaves the barrel, it has a velocity of over a thousand meters per second. It is the opinion of several X-corps engineers that a fifth prong should have been added for increased accuracy, as the current four are barely able to contain the beam. However, initial investigations into this change has resulted in catastrophic failure, ranging from simple inoperability to plasma destabilization. It becomes additionally evident that the circuitry surrounding the prongs is not yet understood.

The weapon is large enough to require two grip-gloves, and is so bulky that it cannot be fired from the shoulder like traditional weapons. Instead, it is fired from the hip. At first, this method seemed to be incompatible with the high degree of accuracy that Alien soldiers achieve in the field. However, initial firing tests showed that the weapon was more accurate than most human weaponry. Investigation into this showed that the distal third of the plasma funnel is lined with impulse-adjusting superconducting electromagnets linked to complex circuitry that has no observable input. This component appears to be adjusting the direction of the fired plasma so that it hits the targetted spot more precisely than possible with simple point-and-fire tactics. Test subjects have been heard to refer to this as "the weapon knows where to shoot," and if it were not so unbelievable of an idea, that would appear to be precisely what is occuring. Though clearly impossible, it acts very much as if it is reading the wielder's mind. What is certain is that this weapon does not require or benefit from the normal augmentations to heavy weaponry. It is possible to copy this complex circuitry without understanding how it operates, and experiments have proven the replicated modules to operate identically.

The damage caused by a plasma hit is fearsome to behold. The energy of the particles is sufficient to disrupt the target at an molecular level, ionizing atoms by knocking off electrons and therefore destroying covalent bonds. The amount of energy present is commonly enough to “dissolve” the first surface struck, leaving behind only ionized atoms where there used to be structured molecules or cells. The repair of such wounds is similar to treating third-degree burns from mundane causes. However, recent advances in medicine have allowed the creation of a technique involving adult stem cells, cloning, and growth hormones which can perfectly repair the damage of a severe burn within a few months. One disadvantage of this technique is that the accelerated growth tremendously increases the odds of cancer, and the patient must be under 24/7 observation to prevent this from happening. Thus, any wounded agent is completely unable to go on missions for the duration of his recovery period.

In order to replicate something, you need at least to know what materials you need for replication. So can you say a bit more about what is this guidance system made of?

I always thought it would be easy to understand something and harder to replicate, but I might be wrong.

How exactly this superhot ball of plasma does not expand exponentially when it leaves the gun?

I think it is possible to replicate without understanding. Often the replication process is more difficult because you don't understand the shortcuts involved... The idea here is that the scientists are able to look at the circuit, produce any individual part, but not understand really what some of them do (especially whatever part picks up the psionic signals). My analogy is if you hand a RFIC (radio-frequency integrated circuit) to an electrical engineer that's never seen an IC before. It might actually be easier to just take a picture and a bunch of measurements, and develop a lithographic process to create another IC (sort of an engineering trace-paper approach) then to figure out what those funny-looking lines do (just for information, on an RFIC all of the components - resistors, capacitors, etc. are made with oddly shaped chunks of metal or transistors).

I could try to dive into it a bit more...let me think about it.

So the superhot ball of plasma is, perhaps, a poor choice for a weapon, given that (to the best of my knowledge, E&M says "no" to the plasma weapons in atmosphere. So we're left with two things - 1) the prongs "do it." 2) It is fired fast enough to reach the target before significant expansion occurs.

Regarding the exponential expansion, have you seen the math for that? I'm just curious, because to a certain extent I would think that an individual particle would be unable to get outside of the sphere (doing so would create a net charge imbalance, and Coulomb attraction)...on the other hand, this thing is not just hot, its FREAKING hot...so mayhap the thermal energy is so much greater than the potential caused by my idea that it does expand.

So I'm left with the prongs "collimating" the beam (notice I say what they do, not how, 'cause I don't know how)... Should I mention that they arrive at the target before significant expansion occurs? I'll probably just take out the muzzle velocity (for comparison, an M-16's muzzle velocity is almost exactly 1000m/s, I wanted it in the same sort of timeframe since I feel like the programmers will have it and rifle shells move at similar speeds) and replace it with "sufficient velocity to ensure that the burst strikes the target before dispersing significantly." Would that be better?

A)I think it is possible to replicate without understanding.  Often the replication process is more difficult because you don't understand the shortcuts involved...

I could try to dive into it a bit more...let me think about it.

B )So the superhot ball of plasma is, perhaps, a poor choice for a weapon, given that (to the best of my knowledge, E&M says "no" to the plasma weapons in atmosphere.  So we're left with two things - 1) the prongs "do it." 2) It is fired fast enough to reach the target before significant expansion occurs.

C)Regarding the exponential expansion, have you seen the math for that?  I'm just curious, because to a certain extent I would think that an individual particle would be unable to get outside of the sphere (doing so would create a net charge imbalance, and Coulomb attraction)...on the other hand, this thing is not just hot, its FREAKING hot...so mayhap the thermal energy is so much greater than the potential caused by my idea that it does expand.

D)So I'm left with the prongs "collimating" the beam (notice I say what they do, not how, 'cause I don't know how)...  Should I mention that they arrive at the target before significant expansion occurs?  I'll probably just take out the muzzle velocity (for comparison, an M-16's muzzle velocity is almost exactly 1000m/s, I wanted it in the same sort of timeframe since I feel like the programmers will have it and rifle shells move at similar speeds) and replace it with "sufficient velocity to ensure that the burst strikes the target before dispersing significantly."  Would that be better?

A)I agree, you can replicate without knowledge, but you really have to know what materials you need for its construction. See what I mean? Even if you mention Alien Composites, which are not understood fully either, you have say what's in.

B ) Second choice is reasonable. First choice would be efficient only for a small distance, but second is better, I think.

C)That's why plasma is ionized gas, because the particles speed and energies are much higher than required ionizing energy or coulombic attraction.

D)The air around us has about 25°C (close to 300K). The molecules of nitrogen and oxygen have speeds around 3-500 metres per second. Imagine what speed would have particles at 1 million kelvin. Even a flame from a flamethrower would expand rapidly when exiting from a nozzle. But it doesn't expand indefinitely just because is only ~1500K. Imagine how much a flame with that temperature would expand. I guess you need the gravity effect of xenium 122 to keep all those particles together :)

D) Yeah, let some minute amount of xenium to do the colimation. I guess, it's just a suggestion. You can make a difference between Cannon, Rifle and Pistol by the amount of xenium creating an intense gravitational pocket around the plasma

Edited by dan2

A)I agree, you can replicate without knowledge, but you really have to know what materials you need for its construction. See what I mean? Even if you mention Alien Composites, which are not understood fully either, you have say what's in.

B ) Second choice is reasonable. First choice would be efficient only for a small distance, but second is better, I think.

C)That's why plasma is ionized gas, because the particles speed and energies are much higher than required ionizing energy or coulombic attraction.

D)The air around us has about 25°C (close to 300K). The molecules of nitrogen and oxygen have speeds around 3-500 metres per second. Imagine what speed would have particles at 1 million kelvin. Even a flame from a flamethrower would expand rapidly when exiting from a nozzle. But it doesn't expand indefinitely just because is only ~1500K. Imagine how much a flame with that temperature would expand. I guess you need the gravity effect of xenium 122 to keep all those particles together  :)

D) Yeah, let some minute amount of xenium to do the colimation. I guess, it's just a suggestion. You can make a difference between Cannon, Rifle and Pistol by the amount of xenium creating an intense gravitational pocket around the plasma

A) I guess I just didn't think about what the circuitry would be made of...admittedly, advances in substrate and metallic substances have led to some improvements in PCB design (i.e. LTCC -low-temperature thermal co-fire ceramic, which is awesome)... I should have put a bit more thought into it in that regard, but can I hypothesize some new type and construction of circuitry without implying that it should have an impact on all electronic design as we know it?

B ) Probably true, though looking at D I'm pretty sure our in-game shots aren't going to be fast enough

C) This is the part where I go "Durr...I guess the attraction from a single charge a few cm away would be enough to trap a particle that broke loose from the same charge at a distance of nm..." Or I could just save the time and say "I'm being an idiot..." But then, how do things like plasma deposition chambers avoid the effects of plasma occuring on all sides?

D) Probably a good idea...probably a really good idea. But that would require additions to the "finished" pistol and rifle works...Asty or Az, either of you have an opinion on whether I should just axe this rather than have this entry explain something the others don't...if I should just add it here, or to all?

Edited by Kikanaide

Or another idea is simply adding a paragraph to tzuchan's plasma weapons tech that says something like "Although Earth scientists had proven plasma weapons impossible even in theory, the unique properties of (a substance nick-named) Xenium allow their use. The material displays a myriad variety of odd gravitic properties, and in this application creates an gravity field of incredible intensity, sufficient to prevent the plasma ball from dispersing."

If we cheat like that, perhaps we could cut down on some of the energy usage in the gun (no real need to magnetically confine, just need to keep it away from the sides).

As an alternative for subject "D", leave it in the realms of sci-fi...

Traditionally, despite the impossiblities involved with pure plasma weapons, sic-fi has been using it in various forms... some realistic, most not, eg PPGs from Bab 5.

But if you guys really think there's a need to explain how the plasma manages to stick together, here's a rough draft of xenium based gravity plasma...

Indepth studies of the plasma weapon revealed that the Xenium material not only generates the energy requried to convert the reaction mass into high-energy plasma, but also emits measurable amounts of gravity fields. The xenium particles then gravitate towards the center of the plasma packet, thereby creating a gravitational field strong enough to maintain the coherency of the plasma packet, preventing it from dispersing due to thermal expansion. Test firing revealed that the ratio of xenium to reaction matter mass defines the distance that the plama packet will retain it's coherency. A ratio of 1:50 results in distances of approximately 1000 meters before the plasma packet disperses.

If you guys think this is reasonable, I'll have to add it to PWS as well as the rest of the plasma weapon CTs...

Edited by tzuchan

Just a couple nitpicks and I think it sounds good. Approximately. Xenium should probably be capitalized. Ratios do not have units, it would be 1:50 grams or kilograms. Now, it could be "by weight" or "by volume" since the densities of the different substances are...well...different. And I think (judging by the magnitude of problem that plasma has) that "tiny but measureable" should be replaced by "significant" or just "measureable."

And I would say that simply putting it into yours would be plenty, though I bow to the will of the populace.

Let's see what Dan thinks first....am I overlooking stuff?

Just a couple nitpicks and I think it sounds good.  Approximately.  Xenium should probably be capitalized.  Ratios do not have units, it would be 1:50 grams or kilograms.  Now, it could be "by weight" or "by volume" since the densities of the different substances are...well...different.  And I think (judging by the magnitude of problem that plasma has) that "tiny but measureable" should be replaced by "significant" or just "measureable."

And I would say that simply putting it into yours would be plenty, though I bow to the will of the populace.

Err... Hence the "mass" part... But you are right about the no units part... Anyway, this was just a rough draft thrown together in a couple of minutes. Nitpick away.

Just a couple nitpicks and I think it sounds good.  Approximately.  Xenium should probably be capitalized.  Ratios do not have units, it would be 1:50 grams or kilograms.  Now, it could be "by weight" or "by volume" since the densities of the different substances are...well...different.  And I think (judging by the magnitude of problem that plasma has) that "tiny but measureable" should be replaced by "significant" or just "measureable."

Not that I didn't read the messages already, I can just propose, but I have no say here. I wish I had, but you have to wait for Astyanax or Azrael to see if they agree with the change of all plasma texts.

P.S. But yes, your proposal is quite good :) Logical, concise, scientific

P.P.S. Yours means both of you

Edited by dan2

Well, it sounds pretty good to me. I like it! :D

But honestly, I don't know if I have the final say on the matter. While it's true I am proofreading most of the plasma CTs (and adjusting them would be a fairly simple matter), I'm not exactly sure how far my authority goes. :huh?: I do have a feeling that it doesn't extend to texts in Active, though. :P

Well, let's see what other people think about it. Perhaps if there is a strong enough sentiment, maybe it'll work out?

Edited by Astyanax

Plasma packet didn't seem right twice, so I modified it a bit.

Indepth studies of the plasma weapon revealed that the Xenium material not only generates the energy requried to convert the reaction mass into high-energy plasma, but also emits measurable amounts of gravity fields. Centered on a minute amount of  xenium particles a gravitational field is creating attraction forces strong enough to maintain the coherency of the plasma packet, preventing it from dispersing due to thermal expansion. Test firing revealed that the ratio of xenium to reaction matter mass defines the distance that the plama packet will retain it's coherency. A ratio of 1:50 results in distances of approximately 1000 meters before the plasma packet disperses.

:)

Or we could just replace "plasma packet" with "plasma ball" or even just "plasma." I occasionally have referred to it as a beam (not that I necessarily encourage thinking of as that, I just figured that the ball would probably elongate somewhat...)

I'm all for putting the explanation in yours, tzuchan. If we want, I think the varied ratios could be put in the CLIP, rather than the rifle entries.

Now, I've got a few general questions...if anyone is in the know on any of them please answer it.

A question that I'm afraid to ask - at this point in the game, I don't believe that people have researched Xenium or alien composites...but you can't build the bloody thing without using them - which means that they are physically in the weapon. Do we need to be saying "a substance nicknamed" or "codenamed" and make sure that we talk about it like we don't fully understand? This will probably impact all the texts I've written.

Also, the "final" version posted on the CTD assets list (as of a few days ago) of the Plasma Rifle Text still has colors and brackets...speaking of brackets, it looks like they were added to both the pistol and rifle entries, though I thought that we were just going with the original names since, really, a plasma pistol is a plasma pistol... Did we decide on some use to those brackets, like links to other texts or something?

actually, I remembered incorrectly. The pistol appears to have no colors or brackets (I'm currently on a linux computer and can't figure out an easy way to read rtf files without formatting interspersed in the text). The rifle still does.

Oh, one other question. Are we calling this a "heavy plasma" or a "heavy plasma rifle"?

A question that I'm afraid to ask - at this point in the game, I don't believe that people have researched Xenium or alien composites...but you can't build the bloody thing without using them - which means that they are physically in the weapon.  Do we need to be saying "a substance nicknamed" or "codenamed" and make sure that we talk about it like we don't fully understand?  This will probably impact all the texts I've written.

It wouldn't be a good idea to have a text that won't have the same meaning while discoveries are made.

I think Xenium can be named as such, used as it is, some of its properties observed, without it's final report.

The report on Xenium with intricate explanations about what it is and how it works is not vital for it's use in other objects.

I think you can replicate sonic pistols using aqua plastic without having aqua plastic researched already, but since it's obvious it's strong, lightweight and used by aliens to make sonic pistols, it can be used as such, without further knowledge about it's molecular structure... :huh?:

Edited by dan2

Guest Azrael
A question that I'm afraid to ask - at this point in the game, I don't believe that people have researched Xenium or alien composites...but you can't build the bloody thing without using them - which means that they are physically in the weapon.  Do we need to be saying "a substance nicknamed" or "codenamed" and make sure that we talk about it like we don't fully understand?  This will probably impact all the texts I've written.

It wouldn't be a good idea to have a text that won't have the same meaning while discoveries are made.

I think Xenium can be named as such, used as it is, some of its properties observed, without it's final report.

The report on Xenium with intricate explanations about what it is and how it works is not vital for it's use in other objects.

I think you can replicate sonic pistols using aqua plastic without having aqua plastic researched already, but since it's obvious it's strong, lightweight and used by aliens to make sonic pistols, it can be used as such, without further knowledge about it's molecular structure... :huh?:

Exactly, you know that that strange thing is called Xenium and it powers the plasma weapon, that's it, same for Alien Composites.

HEAVY PLASMA RIFLE

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Weapons/Heavy Plasma Rifle

The heavy plasma rifle is one of the most powerful weapons in the Aliens’ arsenal. Combining accuracy, firepower, and relatively light weight, this weapon is a favored choice by the Aliens - for good reason.

The weapon’s appearance is known to cause fear in the bravest of troopers, particularly those who have seen what it is capable of. The huge barrel caliber, prominent magneto-dynamic prongs, and overall size only hint at its destructive power. And beneath the deadly-looking exterior lies circuitry so advanced that its basic mechanics are not yet understood.

The plasma generation chamber is a work of art. After the two fluids are pumped into the chamber, an electromagnetic pulse produces a tremendous explosion that transforms the raw ammunition into plasma. The chamber reflects most of the energy, but harnesses some and uses it to ensure that none of the newly formed plasma contacts any interior surface. This appears to be aided by a gravitic property of Xenium. The plasma is then accelerated out of the barrel using electromagnetic fields.

Four magneto-dynamic prongs are used to collimate, control, and further accelerate the plasma. By the time the plasma leaves the barrel, it has a velocity comparable to most projectile weapons. It is the opinion of several X-corps engineers that a fifth prong should have been added for increased accuracy, as the current four are barely able to contain the beam. However, initial investigations into this change has resulted in catastrophic failure, ranging from simple inoperability to plasma destabilization. It becomes additionally evident that the circuitry surrounding the prongs is not yet understood.

The weapon is large enough to require two grip-gloves, and is so bulky that it cannot be fired from the shoulder like traditional weapons. Instead, it is fired from the hip. At first, this method seemed to be incompatible with the high degree of accuracy that Alien soldiers achieve in the field. However, initial firing tests showed that the weapon was more accurate than most human weaponry. Investigation into this showed that the distal third of the plasma funnel is lined with impulse-adjusting superconducting electromagnets linked to complex circuitry that has no observable input. The circuitry is comprised of a conducting variant of Alien Composites, formed without a substrate. This component appears to be adjusting the direction of the fired plasma so that it hits the targetted spot more precisely than possible with simple point-and-fire tactics. Test subjects have been heard to refer to this as "the weapon knows where to shoot," and if it were not so unbelievable of an idea, that would appear to be precisely what is occuring. Though clearly impossible, it acts very much as if it is reading the wielder's mind. What is certain is that this weapon does not require or benefit from the normal augmentations to heavy weaponry. It is possible to copy this complex circuitry without understanding how it operates, and experiments have proven the replicated modules to operate identically.

The damage caused by a plasma hit is fearsome to behold. The energy of the particles is sufficient to disrupt the target at an molecular level, ionizing atoms by knocking off electrons and therefore destroying covalent bonds. The amount of energy present is commonly enough to “dissolve” the first surface struck, leaving behind only ionized atoms where there used to be structured molecules or cells. The repair of such wounds is similar to treating third-degree burns from mundane causes. However, recent advances in medicine have allowed the creation of a technique involving adult stem cells, cloning, and growth hormones which can perfectly repair the damage of a severe burn within a few months. One disadvantage of this technique is that the accelerated growth tremendously increases the odds of cancer, and the patient must be under 24/7 observation to prevent this from happening. Thus, any wounded agent is completely unable to go on missions for the duration of his recovery period.

Possible fluff...note, need a different names-

"William Heung, the physics lead, has been over there in the corner talking to himself since we got the first report of this weapon being used. Something about plasma weapons being impossible in theory. I guess no one ever told the Aliens that. We just bring him food and ignore him, and concentrate on doing our job. Now we've built the thing. Makes me wonder why he gets paid more than I do..."

Sam Smith - Lead Engineer

Comments, suggestions, complaints?

Leave them all waiting for me...my computer is about to undergo a fresh format. It is long past time (been...holy cow...like 4 years...)... At this point, it is incapable of running Battlefield at a playable speed. Which is sad, 'cause during the first year of its run it could run Battledfield AND a Freelancer server simultaneously...though the server did lag during stage loads.

Anyway, please feel free to pick this to death. Are we getting close to done or is it re-write time?

Hey Kikanaide- this CT reads very well! Kudos to you. =b

I'll add my few comments in blue. I'm really trying to not go overboard like I do typically, so I'll be writing my comments in separate paragraphs. Mostly small nitpicks here. :P

HEAVY PLASMA RIFLE

The heavy plasma rifle is one of the most powerful weapons in the Aliens’ arsenal. Combining accuracy, firepower, and relatively light weight, this weapon is a favored choice by the Aliens - for good reason.

The "combining light weight" sounds slightly weird to me; maybe, "Combining accuracy and firepower in a relatively light weight shell,..." or "Combining accuracy, firepower, and light weight components,..."?

The weapon’s appearance is known to cause fear in the bravest of troopers, particularly those who have seen what it is capable of. The huge barrel caliber, prominent magneto-dynamic prongs, and overall size only hint at its destructive power. And beneath the deadly-looking exterior lies circuitry so advanced that its basic mechanics are not yet understood.

The first sentence reads just fine, but as the original Astyanax™, I would suggest a slight rewording to simplify a bit: "The weapon's fearful appearance daunts even the bravest of troopers,..."  In sentence 2, maybe add an adjective prior to "overall size" (i.e. "its gargantuan", "its colossal", "its monstrous, "its tremendous", "its enormous", "its large", or "its intimidating") to add a dimension to what kind of "size" it is.  Also, in sentence 3, perhaps be a little less bold with the "basic mechanics are not yet understood".  The X-Corps now has the ability to reproduce the weapon, so maybe, "...so advanced that its basic mechanics are just barely understood," might be better.

The plasma generation chamber is a work of art. After the two fluids are pumped into the chamber, an electromagnetic pulse produces a tremendous explosion that transforms the raw ammunition into plasma. The chamber reflects most of the energy, but harnesses some and uses it to ensure that none of the newly formed plasma contacts any interior surface. This appears to be aided by a gravitic property of Xenium.  The plasma is then accelerated out of the barrel using electromagnetic fields.

In sentence 2, specify earlier what the "two fluids" are to prevent confusion: "After the two fluids contained within separate compartments of the ammunition clip are pumped into the chamber,..."  Sentence 3 (another Astyanax™ suggestion): "The chamber harnesses a small fraction of the resulting energy to safely contain the plasma using a little understood gravitic property of Xenium."  On a side note, in the other plasma CTs, isn't the plasma "magnetically levitated" to the center of the plasma generation chamber?

Four magneto-dynamic prongs are used to collimate, control, and further accelerate the plasma. By the time the plasma leaves the barrel, it has a velocity comparable to most projectile weapons. It is the opinion of several X-corps engineers that a fifth prong should have been added for increased accuracy, as the current four are barely able to contain the beam. However, initial investigations into this change has resulted in catastrophic failure, ranging from simple inoperability to plasma destabilization. It becomes additionally evident that the circuitry surrounding the prongs is not yet understood.

(Gah, must... control... temptation... to Astyanaxize! :P)  Change "catastrophic failure" to "catastrophic failures", maybe add an adjective before "plasma destabilization" to describe how bad/what scale it is (i.e. "widespread", "massive", "highly lethal plasma destabilizations").  In the last sentence, maybe use "quite apparent" instead of "additionally evident" and add "fully" or "entirely" before "understood" to qualify the statement.

The weapon is large enough to require two grip-gloves, and is so bulky that it cannot be fired from the shoulder like traditional weapons. Instead, it is fired from the hip. At first, this method seemed to be incompatible with the high degree of accuracy that Alien soldiers achieve in the field. However, initial firing tests showed that the weapon was more accurate than most human weaponry. Investigation into this showed that the distal third of the plasma funnel is lined with impulse-adjusting superconducting electromagnets linked to complex circuitry that has no observable input. The circuitry is comprised of a conducting variant of Alien Composites, formed without a substrate.  This component appears to be adjusting the direction of the fired plasma so that it hits the targetted spot more precisely than possible with simple point-and-fire tactics. Test subjects have been heard to refer to this as "the weapon knows where to shoot," and if it were not so unbelievable of an idea, that would appear to be precisely what is occuring. Though clearly impossible, it acts very much as if it is reading the wielder's mind. What is certain is that this weapon does not require or benefit from the normal augmentations to heavy weaponry. It is possible to copy this complex circuitry without understanding how it operates, and experiments have proven the replicated modules to operate identically.

Add "it" before "so bulky" in the first sentence.  In sentence 3/4, suggest clarifying a bit: "Because hip-fired weapons generally are significantly less accurate than their shoulder-fired counterparts, we were at a loss at how to explain the accuracy Alien shoulders demonstrated with this weapon on the field.  Indeed, initial firing tests showed that the [heavy plasma rifle] had consistently higher accuracy than comparable human weaponry."  In sentence 5, add a noun after "Investigation into this" to specify (i.e. "phenomenon").  Also, maybe add ", unlike in smaller plasma weapons," before "the distal third" to explain the heavy plasma rifle's increased accuracy over it's smaller cousins.  Sentence 7, suggest: "This component appears to adjust the direction of the fired plasma more precisely than simple point-and-fire methods."  Sentence 8, maybe "to the [heavy plasma rifle] as a 'smart weapon that knows exactly where to shoot'," instead of "to this as 'the weapon knows where to shoot'", and use "Occurring" instead of "occuring".  Sentence 10, give some examples of such "augmentations": "...require or benefit from the normal augmentations to heavy weaponry, such as laser scopes, target acquisition electronics, or..."  Last sentence, suggest the following to address why it hasn't been added to other weapons: "Though the complex circuitry of the [heavy plasma rifle] has been successfully replicated, we do not fully understand its operation and have been unable to integrate it into other weapons."

Maybe specify a bit in sentence 1: "The damage caused by the [heavy plasma rifle] is fearsome to behold."  Maybe add 1-2 sentences after sentence 3 to comment on how to survive: "...structured molecules and cells.  Therefore, we recommend issuing our soldiers the best armors available to increase their chances of survival.  Even with armor, the [heavy plasma rifle] usually causes severe wounds, and the repair of such wounds..."  Sentence 5, maybe simplify: "However, recent medical advances in adult stem cell, cloning, and growth hormone technologies enable us to perfectly heal these gruesome injuries within a few months."  Sentence 6: clarify where the risk is: "The main side effect of these accelerated growth techniques is the increased risk of malignant cancers during the treatment; patients must be observed around the clock in order to detect aberrant cell growth."  I love this reasoning, by the way!

To be consistent with the other plasma weapon CTs, add: "The clip for the [heavy plasma rifle] itself is similar to those of other plasma-based weaponry, but analysis of its contents will require separate research. The clip appears to contain two different solutions, and preliminary analysis suggests the presence of Xenium in one compartment."

Very nice CT, Kikanaide. I really enjoyed reading it. :)

I also hope your format goes smoothly; not to jinx you, but I've had some... interesting things happen while reformatting hard drives... :unsure:

Edited by Astyanax

HEAVY PLASMA RIFLE

The heavy plasma rifle is one of the most powerful weapons in the Aliens’ arsenal. Combining accuracy and firepower in a surprisingly light-weight shell, this weapon is a favored choice by the Aliens - for good reason.

The weapon's fearful appearance daunts even the bravest of troopers, particularly those who have seen what it is capable of. The huge barrel caliber, prominent magneto-dynamic prongs, and intimidating overall size only hint at its destructive power. And beneath the deadly-looking exterior lies circuitry so advanced that its basic mechanics are not yet understood.

The plasma generation chamber is a work of art. After the two fluids contained within separate compartments of the ammunition clip are pumped into the chamber, the resulting mixture is magnetically levitated into the center. An applied electromagnetic pulse produces a tremendous explosion that transforms the raw ammunition into plasma. The chamber harnesses a small fraction of the resulting energy to safely contain the plasma using a little-understood gravitic property of Xenium. The plasma is then accelerated out of the barrel using electromagnetic fields.

Four magneto-dynamic prongs are used to collimate, control, and further accelerate the plasma. By the time the plasma leaves the barrel, it has a velocity comparable to most projectile weapons. It is the opinion of several X-corps engineers that a fifth prong should have been added for increased accuracy, as the current four are barely able to contain the beam. However, initial investigations into this change has resulted in catastrophic failures, ranging from simple inoperability to total plasma destabilization. It becomes quite apparent that the circuitry surrounding the prongs is not yet fully understood.

The weapon is large enough to require two grip-gloves, and it is so bulky that it cannot be fired from the shoulder like traditional weapons. Instead, it is fired from the hip. Because hip-fired weapons generally are significantly less accurate than their shoulder-fired counterparts, we were at a loss at how to explain the accuracy Alien shoulders demonstrated with this weapon on the field. Indeed, initial firing tests showed that the heavy plasma rifle had consistently higher accuracy than comparable human weaponry. Investigation into this phenomenon showed that the distal third of the plasma funnel is lined with impulse-adjusting superconducting electromagnets linked to complex circuitry that has no observable input. The circuitry is comprised of a conducting variant of Alien Composites, formed without a substrate. This component appears to adjust the direction of the fired plasma more precisely than simple point-and-fire methods. Test subjects have been heard to refer to the heavy plasma rifle as a '"smart weapon that knows where to shoot," and if it were not so unbelievable of an idea, that would appear to be precisely what is occurring. Though clearly impossible, it acts very much as if it is reading the wielder's mind. What is certain is that this weapon does not require or benefit from the normal augmentations to heavy weaponry such as HUD-integrated laser targeting. Though the complex circuitry of the heavy plasma rifle has been successfully replicated, we do not fully understand its operation and have been unable to integrate it into other weapons.

Plasma damage paragraph = axed and handed to tzuchan...t, look at Asty's reply for some good suggestions...

The clip for the heavy plasma rifle itself is similar to those of other plasma-based weaponry, but analysis of its contents will require separate research. The clip appears to contain two different solutions, and preliminary analysis suggests the presence of Xenium in one compartment.

Couple things...

1) Are we using brackets or not? I thought that for finalized names (and I thought that HPR was a finalized name) no brackets were/are/will be required.

2) Credit goes to Mad for figuring out the cancer link in the advanced recuperative process.

3) Thanks tzuchan for picking that up, I do believe that both of those pieces belong there.

4) Thanks Asty for the help!

5) Format complete, up and running...far from all programs installed but testing now. Interesting quirk - whenever I try to change my video settings I get a brief solid blue screen and clicking followed by the right picture...I don't understand. If anyone's seen anything like it, let me know.

6) Curses, I forgot my fluff. Let me know what ya'll think of this:

"William Heung, the physics lead, has been over there in the corner talking to himself since we got the first report of this weapon being used. Something about plasma weapons being impossible in theory. I guess no one ever told the Aliens that. We just bring him food and ignore him, and concentrate on doing our job. Now we've built the thing. Makes me wonder why he gets paid more than I do..."

Yikes, just noticed I made this mistake (paragraph 5, sentence 3):

Because hip-fired weapons generally are significantly less accurate than their shoulder-fired counterparts, we were at a loss at how to explain the accuracy Alien shoulders demonstrated with this weapon on the field.

should be:

Because hip-fired weapons generally are significantly less accurate than their shoulder-fired counterparts, we were at a loss at how to explain the accuracy Alien soldiers demonstrated with this weapon on the field.

Accurate Alien shoulders, indeed! :D

Edited by Astyanax

1) Are we using brackets or not?  I thought that for finalized names (and I thought that HPR was a finalized name) no brackets were/are/will be required.

You're right about when brackets should be used, but final names can be found at http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3764 and those not in that list should use [brackets].

2) Credit goes to Mad for figuring out the cancer link in the advanced recuperative process.

Mad, that was a fine idea! =b

3) Thanks tzuchan for picking that up, I do believe that both of those pieces belong there.

I think the plasma CTs are some of the best ones so far; this'll help flesh them out further. :)

4) Thanks Asty for the help!

You're welcome, Kikanaide, any time. :D

5) Format complete, up and running...far from all programs installed but testing now.  Interesting quirk - whenever I try to change my video settings I get a brief solid blue screen and clicking followed by the right picture...I don't understand.  If anyone's seen anything like it, let me know.

Glad that your format was mostly uneventful. Dunno about the clicking; could be the video card or the driver(?), but it's happened on my computer and my roommate's computer for years with no problems. :P

6) Curses, I forgot my fluff.  Let me know what ya'll think of this:

"Dr. William Heung, the physics lead, has been over there in the corner talking to himself since we got the first report of this weapon being used. Perhaps: "...physics lead, has been holed up in his corner muttering to himself ever since Alien plasma weapons were first reported/seen by our soldiers." Something about plasma weapons being impossible in theory "theoretically impossible"?. I guess no one ever told the Aliens that. We just bring him food and ignore him, and concentrate on doing our job. Now we've built the thing. Makes me wonder why he gets paid more than I do..." Maybe: "Now that we've built the thing, I wonder why he gets paid more than I do..."?

I like it. :)

Edited by Astyanax

Ok, so I do need two names for the fluff...I think I used William Heung somewhere (and I don't understand my preoccupation with that name). If no one minds, I might make the lead engineer Frank Smith as a tribute to an engineer I know...not like he'll ever find out, but...

NO!!! :Rant: I forbid it! The name must be Sam!!!

:P

Nah, I don't have any attachments to names; Frank is fine. Having two names is my personal preference- I don't think is written anywhere- but I do feel it makes the people a bit more "real". I don't have any other strictures; I do try to include multicultural and female names on occasion, but that's also a personal preference. :P

Edited by Astyanax

[HEAVY PLASMA RIFLE]

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Weapons/[Heavy Plasma Rifle]

The [heavy plasma rifle] is one of the most powerful weapons in the Aliens’ arsenal. Combining accuracy and firepower in a surprisingly light-weight shell, this weapon is a favored choice by the Aliens - for good reason.

The weapon's fearful appearance daunts even the bravest of troopers, particularly those who have seen what it is capable of. The huge barrel caliber, prominent magneto-dynamic prongs, and intimidating overall size only hint at its destructive power. And beneath the deadly-looking exterior lies circuitry so advanced that its basic mechanics are not yet understood.

The plasma generation chamber is a work of art. After the two fluids contained within separate compartments of the ammunition clip are pumped into the chamber, the resulting mixture is magnetically levitated into the center. An applied electromagnetic pulse produces a tremendous explosion that transforms the raw ammunition into plasma. The chamber harnesses a small fraction of the resulting energy to safely contain the plasma using a little-understood gravitic property of Xenium. The plasma is then accelerated out of the barrel using electromagnetic fields. This process can be completed with sufficient speed to allow automatic fire.

Four magneto-dynamic prongs are used to collimate, control, and further accelerate the plasma. By the time the plasma leaves the barrel, it has a velocity comparable to most projectile weapons. It is the opinion of several X-corps engineers that a fifth prong should have been added for increased accuracy, as the current four are barely able to contain the beam. However, initial investigations into this change has resulted in catastrophic failures, ranging from simple inoperability to total plasma destabilization. It becomes quite apparent that the circuitry surrounding the prongs is not yet fully understood.

The weapon is large enough to require two grip-gloves, and it is so bulky that it cannot be fired from the shoulder like traditional weapons. Instead, it is fired from the hip. Because hip-fired weapons generally are significantly less accurate than their shoulder-fired counterparts, we were at a loss at how to explain the accuracy Alien soldiers demonstrated with this weapon on the field. Indeed, initial firing tests showed that the [heavy plasma rifle] had consistently higher accuracy than comparable human weaponry. Investigation into this phenomenon showed that the distal third of the plasma funnel is lined with impulse-adjusting superconducting electromagnets linked to complex circuitry that has no observable input. The circuitry is comprised of a conducting variant of Alien Composites, formed without a substrate. This component appears to adjust the direction of the fired plasma more precisely than simple point-and-fire methods. Test subjects have been heard to refer to the [heavy plasma rifle] as a '"smart weapon that knows where to shoot," and if it were not so unbelievable of an idea, that would appear to be precisely what is occurring. Though clearly impossible, it acts very much as if it is reading the wielder's mind. What is certain is that this weapon does not require or benefit from the normal augmentations to heavy weaponry such as HUD-integrated laser targeting. Though the complex circuitry of the heavy plasma rifle has been successfully replicated, we do not fully understand its operation and have been unable to integrate it into other weapons.

The clip for the [heavy plasma rifle] itself is similar to those of other plasma-based weaponry, but analysis of its contents will require separate research. The clip appears to contain two different solutions, and preliminary analysis suggests the presence of Xenium in one compartment.

"Dr. William Heung, the physics lead, has been holed up in his corner muttering to himself ever since Alien plasma weapons were first reported by our soldiers. Something about plasma weapons being theoretically impossible. I guess no one ever told the Aliens that. We just bring him food and ignore him, and concentrate on doing our job. Now that we've built the thing, I wonder why he gets paid more than I do...

Frank Smith - Lead Engineer

Ok...so...

incorporated fluff and more Asty suggestions

added line about auto-shot capability...thinking perhaps that should go into the intro...something like "Combining accuracy, firepower, and automatic fire in a surprisingly light-weight shell..." except that I can't seem to make the sentence work (oddly enough, I can generally edit other people's work, but not my own)...

added brackets, let me know if I missed any

Need to know : is there anything interesting or that you like about this weapon that should be in this write-up? Also, different name for physics lead...it might wind up being Tim Bolton b/c he was my physics professor/contact for parts of this stuff. But for some reason I'd rather not...just give me names...any name...

incorporated fluff and more Asty suggestions

Are you sure that shouldn't be "nAsty" suggestions? :D

added line about auto-shot capability...thinking perhaps that should go into the intro...something like "Combining accuracy, firepower, and automatic fire in a surprisingly light-weight shell..." except that I can't seem to make the sentence work (oddly enough, I can generally edit other people's work, but not my own)...

Hm, I don't know... Maybe "three shots in rapid suggestion" or a "three-shot burst" instead of auto-fire, to be more accurate? I'm not sure about adding "autofire" to the sentence because "autofire" is kind of a subset of "firepower" and including it seems redundant...

added brackets, let me know if I missed any

Looks like you got them all. :)

Need to know : is there anything interesting or that you like about this weapon that should be in this write-up?  Also, different name for physics lead...it might wind up being Tim Bolton b/c he was my physics professor/contact for parts of this stuff.  But for some reason I'd rather not...just give me names...any name...

I'm happy with this text, and anything more I say will be just splitting hairs (like adding " after the fluff quote... :P) Other people might still have comments, though.

Edited by Astyanax

[HEAVY PLASMA RIFLE]

The [heavy plasma rifle] is one of the most powerful weapons in the Aliens’ arsenal. Combining accuracy and firepower in a surprisingly light-weight shell, this weapon is a favored choice by the Aliens - for good reason.

The plasma generation chamber is a work of art. After the two fluids contained within separate compartments of the ammunition clip are pumped into the chamber, the resulting mixture is magnetically levitated into the center. An applied electromagnetic pulse produces a tremendous explosion that transforms the raw ammunition into plasma. The chamber harnesses a small fraction of the resulting energy to safely contain the plasma using a little-understood gravitic property of Xenium. The plasma is then accelerated out of the barrel using electromagnetic fields. This process can be completed with sufficient speed to allow three-shot bursts.

The weapon is large enough to require two grip-gloves, and it is so bulky that it cannot be fired from the shoulder like traditional weapons. Instead, it is fired from the hip. Because hip-fired weapons generally are significantly less accurate than their shoulder-fired counterparts, we were at a loss at how to explain the accuracy Alien soldiers demonstrated with this weapon on the field. Indeed, initial firing tests showed that the [heavy plasma rifle] had consistently higher accuracy than comparable human weaponry. Investigation into this phenomenon showed that the distal third of the plasma funnel is lined with impulse-adjusting superconducting electromagnets linked to complex circuitry that has no observable input. The circuitry is comprised of a conducting variant of Alien Composites, formed without a substrate. This component appears to adjust the direction of the fired plasma more precisely than simple point-and-fire methods. Test subjects have been heard to refer to the [heavy plasma rifle] as a '"smart weapon that knows where to shoot," and if it were not so unbelievable of an idea, that would appear to be precisely what is occurring. Though clearly impossible, it acts very much as if it is reading the wielder's mind. What is certain is that this weapon does not require or benefit from the normal augmentations to heavy weaponry such as HUD-integrated laser targeting. Though the complex circuitry of the heavy plasma rifle has been successfully replicated, we do not fully understand its operation and have been unable to integrate it into other weapons.

The clip for the [heavy plasma rifle] itself is similar to those of other plasma-based weaponry, but analysis of its contents will require separate research. The clip appears to contain two different solutions, and preliminary analysis suggests the presence of Xenium in one compartment.

"Lou, the physics lead, has been holed up in his corner muttering to himself ever since Alien plasma weapons were first reported by our soldiers. Something about plasma weapons being theoretically impossible. I guess no one ever told the Aliens that. We just bring him food, ignore the muttering, and concentrate on doing our job. Now that we've built the thing, I wonder why he gets paid more than I do..."

Edited by Kikanaide

Ok, so I think I'm done.

Changed phrasing on end of third para, added quotation mark. Fixed grammar in quote, though I suppose I didn't have to...Couldn't get burst fire into the intro. Changed "Dr. William Heung" to "Lou" for three reasons - 1) it's in a quote 2) Frank wouldn't refer to anyone as Dr. suchandsuch, and it didn't fit the generally informal tone and 3) Then it can be both one of my favorite professors and a really neat co-worker simultaneously...

So there we are. I'm through with it. :) Thanks for the help, everyone.

Edited by Kikanaide

I'm impressed with how quickly and how well you crafted this text, Kikanaide! =b

The fluff sounds fine to me, and you get to immortalize three people at once. :D

Regarding the help, you're welcome, of course... but don't thank us yet. Some of us are returning in the guise of proofreaders. :devillaugh:

:P

Edited by Astyanax

LOL Az. :)

Hm, one consistency comment about the CT... the other plasma weapons use electromagnetic fields to contain the plasma in the plasma generation chamber, while this one uses "a little-known gravitic property of Xenium" (I know it was my suggestion, but I did mention the possible consistency disconnect then, too :P).

It's not a big deal, since you're the father and author of most of the plasma weapon texts, you can decide whether the other plasma weapon CTs also use the "little-known gravitic property of Xenium", or whether the heavy plasma rifle CT uses electromagnetic fields for plasma containment.

[HEAVY PLASMA RIFLE]

The plasma generation chamber is a work of art. After the two fluids contained within separate compartments of the ammunition clip are pumped into the chamber, the resulting mixture is magnetically levitated into the center. An applied electromagnetic pulse produces a tremendous explosion that transforms the raw ammunition into plasma. The chamber harnesses a small fraction of the resulting energy to safely contain the plasma using electromagnetic fields assisted by a little-understood gravitic property of Xenium. The plasma is then accelerated out of the barrel using electromagnetic fields. This process can be completed with sufficient speed to allow three-shot bursts.

"Lou, the physics lead, has been holed up in his corner muttering to himself ever since our soldiers first reported that the Aliens were using plasma weapons...something about plasma weapons being theoretically impossible. I guess no one ever told the Aliens that. We just bring him food, ignore the muttering, and concentrate on doing our job. Now that we've built the thing, I wonder why he gets paid more than I do..."

Ok, made a change to address the consistency issues. It now reads "using electromagnetic fields assisted by a little-known gravitic property of Xenium."

So my thought on this process is that the explosion itself requires additional containment. Afterwards, since this thing able to contain istself in atmosphere using just gravity, very little in the way of electrodynamic containment will be necessary. Now, you have to keep the ball away from the sides, but I think that the plasma is formed "by shot" and "for the shot."

So I have a feeling Asty's gonna post now. In short, I think we should add a quip to each of the plasma texts with something about the gravitic properties. Don't know how much trouble this is going to be.

Did we ever fix the fact that the current "final" version of the rifle text still has colors and such?

Edited by Kikanaide

Er... weren't the colors part of the fix? :huh?:

Ohhh, you mean they're not? Oh well. :P

I'm sure it won't be too difficult to add a small line to the other plasma CTs (the Xenium CT, too) regarding the little understood gravitic property.

Oh, that reminds me... maybe change "little-known" to "little understood" because Xeno scientists are the experts, and if it's little known to them, no one would know. :P "Little understood" implies that the property is known, but not fully comprehended- a much more likely case.

Whew... I think that's the last comment I have for this CT. Can it be? Has Kikanaide finally cured me of my Astyanax™ condition? :D

Oh, that reminds me... maybe change "little-known" to "little understood" because Xeno scientists are the experts, and if it's little known to them, no one would know. :P  "Little understood" implies that the property is known, but not fully comprehended- a much more likely case.

Aye, captain, I agree. Not sure how that guy slipped in there. I suppose I'll post it again in full...

Can it be?  Has Kikanaide finally cured me of my Astyanax™ condition? :D

Doubtful. Probably just in remission.

Oh, that reminds me... maybe change "little-known" to "little understood" because Xeno scientists are the experts, and if it's little known to them, no one would know. :P  "Little understood" implies that the property is known, but not fully comprehended- a much more likely case.

Aye, captain, I agree. Not sure how that guy slipped in there. I suppose I'll post it again in full...

Erm, that's because of me, I think... :unsure:

Can it be?  Has Kikanaide finally cured me of my Astyanax™ condition? :D

Doubtful. Probably just in remission.

Haha! I guess I'm just having an off-day... :D

Ok, so, an indication of my current state - I appear to have fixed it by accident. Looks like I typed it correctly in the big post, and not the add-on...that's what I get for re-typing instead of copy-pasting. If it's still in there, can you just kill it during proof? I'm going back to bed now.

Oh my...

Sorry Kikanaide... I guess I'm really having an off day, too... "little-known" never existed in any version of your text... just in my imagination.

Erm, yes, go back to sleep. This is all a bad dream. :zzzzz:

Guest Azrael
Ok, made a change to address the consistency issues.  It now reads "using electromagnetic fields assisted by a little-known gravitic property of Xenium."

So my thought on this process is that the explosion itself requires additional containment.  Afterwards, since this thing able to contain istself in atmosphere using just gravity, very little in the way of electrodynamic containment will be necessary.  Now, you have to keep the ball away from the sides, but I think that the plasma is formed "by shot" and "for the shot."

So I have a feeling Asty's gonna post now.  In short, I think we should add a quip to each of the plasma texts with something about the gravitic properties.  Don't know how much trouble this is going to be.

Did we ever fix the fact that the current "final" version of the rifle text still has colors and such?

This Xenium interaction is not contemplated on Plasma Weapons.

@Asty

For the record (and your sanity), the phrase did appear in my add-on post to explain the addition. You know, with the PM and stuff.

@Azzy

But the gravitic property is going to be, right? I thought tzuchan said he was going to work it in...I actually can't get in and look at current versions through the wiki, just threads. I could probably fix that with more effort and less headache.

The reasoning here is that if the gravity is sufficient to hold together the shot, it's going to be present during the formation. If he mentions that Xenium exhibits extraordinary gravity properties, aren't we covered?

ps...don't mock the spelling on this post. I can't actually see what I'm typing...so...

I think I'm going to go back to bed now. Let me know what's going on. :zzzzz: