XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Getting Xcom Dos Version To Work

j'ordos

Ach, forgive my silly questions. I just looked at all of the files in my c:\xcom folder and realized that not all of the folders from the cd were in there, so I manually copied them over and it all seems to be working now. Anyway, I'm not sure what I did right but the game works perfectly for me. Good luck to you all.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I downloaded the game from the first link you posted. Do I have to install it or is it already installed? If so, how do I do it? It asks for the floppy drive location everytime I run it.

Thanks

press Alt+Enter to switch between full-screen and windowed mode in DOSBox.

edit : by j'ordos (can't be bothered to make a new post :) )
[quote name='gooter']I downloaded the game from the first link you posted. Do I have to install it or is it already installed? If so, how do I do it? It asks for the floppy drive location everytime I run it.

Thanks[/quote]

it already is installed, in the setup you only have to configure the sound card. Edited by j'ordos

• 3 weeks later...
for those of you having trouble with dosbox try downloading D-fend

it a front end for dosbox and really makes running old dosgames in dosbox much easier..

-PvC

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Geordie' date='Oct 26 2004, 12:12 PM']is it possible to slow it down without Dosbox????

can i fit dosbox on a floppy??
[right][post="98774"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]not with the dos version. there are some patches for CE version that slow it down, iirc.

yes dosbox fits in a floppy. it's about 700kb.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Guest' date='Nov 6 2004, 08:32 PM']Could someone explain it to me in plain english, pretty please? :master:
[right][post="99289"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]ummm... explain what, exactly?
i believe the instructions on getting x-com to work with dosbox are simple enough.

:huh?:
Why does everyone need dosbox to run X-Com in windows? I have a micronPC Laptop with WinME and the DOS version works fine for me. Plays full screen, all sound effects and music. Only complaints I have is the timer is faster than I recall on my old 386 or 486 but I can live with that and sometimes my touchpad acts up.

Question though: Will DosBox let me play on my Win2000 machines?

Of course then again I also seem to be one of the few people that like WinME and never seem to have any problems with it.

Guest Al_DOGG81
Hello all. I am getting so frustrated with trying to get this game to work in dosbox and have run into a problems, your help would greatly be appreciated.

I have the old version (dos) of TFTD and I installed dosbox .62 and .61, tried them both and cannot get the darn thing to work on my Win. XP Prof., I followed all the instructions and when I finally type in the terror.exe to start the game it max's out my 2.4gig processer to 100%. I have tried to tinker with the cycles and frame skip but no matter how low OR high I put it nothings seems to change it and I cannot find anything that works. Please help me!!

• 1 month later...
Guest Blood^Lust^DE
:D You guys absolutely ROCK! I've been trying to get this game to work for YEARS until i stumbled upon this site/forum. Thanks so much for putting this info up! :D

Guest Huntsman
For those of you trying to click on the install link in the first post, it's incorrect. The targetted forum has been updated to new software. The correct link for DosBox installation instructions is [url="http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=2502&sid=4e7ea54da1910dbd8170a7260e98085c"]here.[/url]

Happy gaming!

Okay, trying again...it still didn't like that one.
[url="http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=2502"]http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=2502[/url]

Happy gaming!
[right][post="105261"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

Guest Huntsman
Okay, well, that's the address...it works if I type it into my explorer bar, but not if click. Maybe the same problem I had first...Oh well. Probably a security thing (work computer).

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, I just DLed UFO Defense (have the original CDs for UFO and TftD still tho, as well as the CE). I installed DOSBox 0.63 and ran UFO Defense. Worked great. A bit choppy, but nothing MAJOR. I'm fiddling with those settings...upped my cycles to 4500 and it's nearly maxed out my CPU, but it looks good.

However, when I try to make the game full screen, it ends up pushing it to the left and the whole screen is offset by about 1 inch. Basically I can't see the left hand inch of the fullscreen setting. I don't want to play it all tiny in the windowed part, so is there a tweak I can do to alter the screen setting of the DOSBox fullscreen mode?

And as a side note...is there anywhere to DL a copy of TftD? Or can I use my CD and just download the whole think to a file directory?

Thanks for any help!

[quote name='Guest' date='Jan 15 2005, 06:32 PM']
Ok, I just DLed UFO Defense (have the original CDs for UFO and TftD still tho, as well as the CE). I installed DOSBox 0.63 and ran UFO Defense. Worked great. A bit choppy, but nothing MAJOR. I'm fiddling with those settings...upped my cycles to 4500 and it's nearly maxed out my CPU, but it looks good.

However, when I try to make the game full screen, it ends up pushing it to the left and the whole screen is offset by about 1 inch. Basically I can't see the left hand inch of the fullscreen setting.
---------------------
Best to Download D-Fend. The Ultimate DosBox Graphical User Interface. Really helps seeing and managing ALL DosBox functions.

In D-Fend when you create an XCOM profile, just click on the profile and press CTRL+ENTER

You will see, that on the GENERAL tab DosBox has several renderers. Try all. DDRAW and Normal and Overlay or Surface might work excellently. Mayhaps the OpenGL renderer even, but on my Radeon 9500 card: Dbox OpenGL cannot be fullscreened, because of strong static. Resolution should be 640x480 or even 320x200 and use the hardware scaler set to 1.0 [try the values], and try out the AMAZING Interpolate filters!! God, they look good! Hold the mouse cursor over the setting-fields and explanation will appear. Before ALT+ENTER the fullscreen can be nicely adjusted with the checkboxes above the renderer-selector. AnyWay try D-Fend from Mabus. He really deserves MAJOR credit imho, since he created a Five Star Tool:
[url="http://members.home.nl/mabus/dfend.htm"]http://members.home.nl/mabus/dfend.htm[/url] Edited by baszermaszer

• 2 weeks later...
I have Xcom Ufo on CD Rom. Using DOSBox 0.63, I am able to run the game, but I can’t save. After I type in the name of my save file, my screen never switches back to the game (even though my game pointer still moves). It’s as though I’m only running off of the CD and it actually didn’t install onto my hard drive, even though it says it did. Since the CD is read-only, no save.

I tried copying all of the files onto my hard drive, but the run files are cdufo.bat and cdsetup.bat. Thus it goes looking for the CD Rom drive again instead of my hard disk. Can you think of anything I might be doing wrong?

Thanks for the help, the cool product and site.

New question for y'all:

(but first, thanks for doing this! I've been waiting to play this game for years too, and it's trippy to be so close....)

I'm running dosbox on a mac running OS X. I've managed to mount the x-com disk. But when I try to run ufo.exe, this program must be run under win32.

Forgive me ignorance: what does that mean? Does that mean I can't play this on a mac? Can I get some sort of emulator to fill the gap?

Thanks!

[quote name='guest' date='Jan 30 2005, 11:11 AM']New question for y'all:

(but first, thanks for doing this! I've been waiting to play this game for years too, and it's trippy to be so close....)

I'm running dosbox on a mac running OS X. I've managed to mount the x-com disk. But when I try to run ufo.exe, this program must be run under win32.

Forgive me ignorance: what does that mean? Does that mean I can't play this on a mac? Can I get some sort of emulator to fill the gap?

Thanks!
[right][post="109126"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I can assure you it's working on Mac with Dosbox. You just probably have a windows version of the game or maybe you have an archive that was compressed with Winzip as selfextractor (which would be a Win32 executable). So, please, be more specific, do you have the archive or the unpacked game?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wulfie180
Well... I got dosbox all downloaded and stuff for OS X. Now, I get everything mounted with mount c /Users/wulfie180/dosprog then type c: and navigate into my xcom directory.

I run the setup, and that works just fine. After the setup, I punch ufo, hit enter and sit back. In the title bar, it says INTRO, then switches to TATICAL, the screen flashes and GEOSCAPE shows in the title bar, screen flashes again (different color then the first time) and displays TATICAL again. This continues on forever.

I got Xcom from the french site on the first page of this topic
and I have the newest version of dosobox.

Please help.

Grrr. I hate dos. Nothing works. Its a sad day when im wishing this game was for UNIX.

Ive got the dos version of the game, and ive got dosbox, but i have no idea how to get the game to run. Ive mounted the C drive like it said, and i can find the game, but i still dont know what to do to make it play. srry if its a dumb question but can anyone help?

Wulfie : I don't see an exe or batch file called 'ufo' in that version, try using 'FULL', or 'GO' instead.

Guest :) : once you're in the xcom directory, type SETUP, and configure the soundcard (soundblaster pro, 220, 7, 1) for more details check the third post in this thread by Robo Dojo.
Once you've done that, type FULL, and it should start. Regarding speed issues, check the first two posts.

• 1 month later...

Actually, I've found an ISO version of the game, probably the Dos one.

Instead of having to mount a cd-rom drive, I've used Alcohol! Now, I have a virtual G: drive which has the X-Com iso. I've installed the game in C:\MPS\UFO, so I just type these:

mount C C:
mount g G:
C:
cd mps
cd ufo
ufo.exe

I have a P4 2GHz, 1GB DDR-SDRAM, ATI Radeon All-in-wonder 9700 Pro, and the game runs smoooooooooooothly ^_^

My settings in Dosbox:

[sdl]

# fullscreen -- Start dosbox directly in fullscreen.

# fulldouble -- Use double buffering in fullscreen.

# fullfixed -- Don't resize the screen when in fullscreen.

# fullresolution -- What resolution to use for fullscreen, use together with fullfixed.

# output -- What to use for output: surface,overlay,opengl,openglnb,ddraw.

# hwscale -- Extra scaling of window if the output device supports hardware scaling.

# autolock -- Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen.

# sensitiviy -- Mouse sensitivity.

# waitonerror -- Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.

# priority -- Priority levels for dosbox: lower,normal,higher,highest.

#          Second entry behind the comma is for when dosbox is not focused/minimized.

# mapperfile -- File used to load/save the key/event mappings from.

fullscreen=false

fulldouble=false

fullfixed=false

fullresolution=1024x768

output=surface

hwscale=1.00

autolock=true

sensitivity=80

waitonerror=true

priority=higher,normal

mapperfile=mapper.txt

[dosbox]

# language -- Select another language file.

# memsize -- Amount of memory dosbox has in megabytes.

# machine -- The type of machine tries to emulate:hercules,cga,tandy,vga.

# captures -- Directory where things like wave,midi,screenshot get captured.

language=

machine=vga

captures=capture

memsize=128

[render]

# frameskip -- How many frames dosbox skips before drawing one.

# aspect -- Do aspect correction.

# scaler -- Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.

#        Supported are none,normal2x,advmame2x,advmame3x,advinterp2x,interp2x,tv2x.

frameskip=0

aspect=false

scaler=normal2x

[cpu]

# core -- CPU Core used in emulation: simple,normal,full,dynamic.

# cycles -- Amount of instructions dosbox tries to emulate each millisecond.

#        Setting this higher than your machine can handle is bad!

# cycleup -- Amount of cycles to increase/decrease with keycombo.

# cycledown    Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=dynamic

cycles=31000

cycleup=500

cycledown=20

[mixer]

# nosound -- Enable silent mode, sound is still emulated though.

# rate -- Mixer sample rate, setting any devices higher than this will

#      probably lower their sound quality.

# blocksize -- Mixer block size, larger blocks might help sound stuttering

#              but sound will also be more lagged.

# prebuffer -- How many milliseconds of data to keep on top of the blocksize.

nosound=false

rate=22050

blocksize=2048

prebuffer=200

[midi]

# mpu401      -- Enable MPU-401 Emulation.

# intelligent -- Operate in Intelligent mode.

# device      -- Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.

#                This can be default,alsa,oss,win32,coreaudio,none.

# config      -- Special configuration options for the device.

mpu401=true

intelligent=true

device=default

config=

[sblaster]

# type -- Type of sblaster to emulate:none,sb1,sb2,sbpro1,sbpro2,sb16.

# base,irq,dma,hdma -- The IO/IRQ/DMA/High DMA address of the soundblaster.

# mixer -- Allow the soundblaster mixer to modify the dosbox mixer.

# oplmode -- Type of OPL emulation: auto,cms,opl2,dualopl2,opl3.

#            On auto the mode is determined by sblaster type.

# oplrate -- Sample rate of OPL music emulation.

type=sb16

base=220

irq=7

dma=1

hdma=5

mixer=true

oplmode=auto

oplrate=22050

[gus]

# gus -- Enable the Gravis Ultrasound emulation.

# base,irq1,irq2,dma1,dma2 -- The IO/IRQ/DMA addresses of the

#            Gravis Ultrasound. (Same IRQ's and DMA's are OK.)

# rate -- Sample rate of Ultrasound emulation.

# ultradir -- Path to Ultrasound directory.  In this directory

#          there should be a MIDI directory that contains

#          the patch files for GUS playback.  Patch sets used

#          with Timidity should work fine.

gus=true

rate=22050

base=240

irq1=5

irq2=5

dma1=3

dma2=3

ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]

# pcspeaker -- Enable PC-Speaker emulation.

# pcrate -- Sample rate of the PC-Speaker sound generation.

# tandyrate -- Sample rate of the Tandy 3-Voice generation.

#              Tandysound emulation is present if machine is set to tandy.

# disney -- Enable Disney Sound Source emulation.

pcspeaker=true

pcrate=22050

tandyrate=22050

disney=true

[bios]

# Nothing to setup yet!

[dos]

# xms -- Enable XMS support.

# ems -- Enable EMS support.

xms=true

ems=true

[modem]

# modem -- Enable virtual modem emulation.

# comport -- COM Port modem is connected to.

# listenport -- TCP Port the modem listens on for incoming connections.

modem=false

comport=2

listenport=23

[directserial]

# directserial -- Enable serial passthrough support.

# comport -- COM Port inside DOSBox.

# realport -- COM Port on the Host.

# defaultbps -- Default BPS.

# parity -- Parity of the packets. This can be N, E or O.

# bytesize -- Size of each packet. This can be 5 or 8.

# stopbit -- The number of stopbits. This can be 1 or 2.

directserial=false

comport=1

realport=COM1

defaultbps=1200

parity=N

bytesize=8

stopbit=1

[ipx]

# ipx -- Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.

ipx=false

[autoexec]

# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

• 4 weeks later...

This is probably me just bein thick but i downloaded the dos version and when i tried to install it asked me which floppy drive i was installin from, obviosly it's not on floppy so what do i do?

As u can probably guess i'm pretty new to this so excuse my stupidity!! :)

That's no stupidity pal :). Actually, I even have installation problems with floppies :S. Well, probably you just have to copy the files in a folder, I think the installation isn't vital. BUT, better get a sure answer from someone else :wink1:

Guest Don_knork

Hey folks,

I have a problem here with X-Com 1.

I BOUGHT this game a few years ago on CD (Ver.1.2) and I have NOT applied any patches/cheats so far. I used to play it on Amiga back in 1994 and now I wanted to punish aliens on my Pc....

I run the game in DosBox (WinXP) and everything is fine... until:

When I play for a while, sometimes i get corrupted screen messages in the research window. For example: when i start researching "sectoid navigator" , the whole screen is beeing "overwritten" with pixel trash. When i leave that screen by guessing where the "cancel" or "OK" button is, the game crashes right after i enter battlescape screen next time.

Has anyone experienced the same problem ? Any ideas ? Is my System infested by brain-mangling sectoid commanders ? Or is it just my own fault because i missed something.

Help ! Help ! Help !

Overwritten screen with pixels, hmm... :hmmm:. That reminds me of 2 things:

1) Overheating (due to overclocking most of the time)

2) Bad graphics drivers

That happens only when playing X-Com? What graphics card and drivers do you have? Some more information would be just perfect :P :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest redbear
Well... I got dosbox all downloaded and stuff for OS X. Now, I get everything mounted with mount c /Users/wulfie180/dosprog then type c: and navigate into my xcom directory.

I run the setup, and that works just fine. After the setup, I punch ufo, hit enter and sit back. In the title bar, it says INTRO, then switches to TATICAL, the screen flashes and GEOSCAPE shows in the title bar, screen flashes again (different color then the first time) and displays TATICAL again. This continues on forever.

I got Xcom from the french site on the first page of this topic

and I have the newest version of dosobox.

Please help.

I have exactly your problem. I lunched "go" and in background dosbox wrote:"CONFIG:Loading settings from config file F:\Games\abandonware\DOSBox-0.63\dosbox

.conf

Maximum memory size is 63 MB

MIDI:Opened device:win32

Write 0 to rom at fffea"

and so on... i dunno what do:/

could you help me to play this funnie game?

thanks in advance:)

Guest Guest

ok i have a littel problem whit my ufo game

the thing is that when istart the second mission and when i start loading the men of the ship the game golapses and that every time

can someone help me

thanks

Well, you both say "Doctor, it hurts around my belly!", and wait for the doctor's diagnosis like that! Thanks for asking for help, but could you help us a bit? like giving your system's specifications, basic information about your dosbox settings, other issues that happen, etc. That would greatly help :)

Guest Guest

i know you already explained how to work it full screen but i've got this medical problem where im retarted so if someone could dum it down for me a wee bit like..explain exactly how i get to play it in full screen that would be awesome.

merge1 : yeh i know i spelled retarded wrong...

merge2 : this is the same guy as before, i uh figured out how to do the alt enter thing to make it larger so just pretend you didnt read anything i said, including this.

None is retarted :P. If you really do want to describe yourself in a negative manner (without a reason >_>), then just call yourself a beginner computer user, which definitely isn't bad at all (we all were newbies once, and still are on many issues :D).

Now, the solution:

In the dosbox folder, there is a txt file called "dosbox.conf". As you can guess, it contains the confugirations and options of the program. In the very first page, you can see something like this:

[sdl]

# fullscreen -- Start dosbox directly in fullscreen.

# fulldouble -- Use double buffering in fullscreen.

# fullfixed -- Don't resize the screen when in fullscreen.

# fullresolution -- What resolution to use for fullscreen, use together with fullfixed.

# output -- What to use for output: surface,overlay,opengl,openglnb,ddraw.

# hwscale -- Extra scaling of window if the output device supports hardware scaling.

# autolock -- Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen.

# sensitiviy -- Mouse sensitivity.

# waitonerror -- Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.

# priority -- Priority levels for dosbox: lower,normal,higher,highest.

# Second entry behind the comma is for when dosbox is not focused/minimized.

# mapperfile -- File used to load/save the key/event mappings from.

fullscreen=false

fulldouble=false

fullfixed=false

fullresolution=1024x768

output=surface

hwscale=1.00

autolock=true

sensitivity=80

waitonerror=true

priority=higher,normal

mapperfile=mapper.txt

Just replace "fullscreen=false" with "fullscreen=true". Simple as that :)

Guest beginner computer user
most excellent, thanks, one more thing though, even though ive sped up the game a wee bit with cntrl f8 and f12, it still feels a little choppy. How can i make it play a little smoother?

Guest beginner computer user
oh yeh and when it wont let me open up dosbox.conf directly it makes me go to this web site, is there some way to avoid that?

?????

It's just a txt file, it can't redirect you :P. Maybe there is also an html file, haven't seen that...

There is a readme file, which guides you through the process :). If you need help, try mine (attached), or ask again for instructions :)

Guest JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo

:Help:

Hi folks, it's quite a relief to see that somewhere out there someone may be able to help me out here.

I really want to get TFTD running again, but I have a whole different system than I did 10 years ago or so when I was first addicted to it. I currently have an Athlon 1800, WinXP, 512MB, and I can't think of the video card right now.

I have TFTD on my system and I don't know if it is corrupted (it is an OLD copy), however whenever I try to run it at the DOS prompt, either through Dosbox or otherwise, I get:

Stub exec failed:

dos4gw.exe

No such file or directory

I'm losing my mind here! Can someone help??

Maybe my version is ruined...? Maybe someone can suggest where on earth I can get TFTD.

Guest JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo
Sorry, in that last sentence I meant to say, maybe someone can suggest where I can get a replacement for the (what seems to be) corrupted version I have.

Guest Guest_Chris_*

I am having problem with Dosbox running terror off my c: drive. I am running the 6.3 version Win32 on windows XP. I can get it to start to load then it says...

Error [35]: Unexpected Interrupt0000 in DosG4w.exe as 0800:0918

Code=0000 ss=0090 ds=0158 es=0000

ax=3E05 bx=005 cx=000E dx=0750 sp=220e bp=a5e4 si=0e54 di=a279 illegal command F:ufoexe\black

I am fairly good with computers and can get the game to run if I run it off of the CD, but I can not figure out how to save a game if I run it off the CD.

Thank You,

~Chris

Ok, I'm gonna need a little help tweeking, to get my Xcom working right.

I've downloaded Xcom from the site on the first page. Downloaded Dosbox .63 and then Dfend. This has allowed me to play, and not play badly.

However, it's a bit choppy slow. And I can't get fullscreen.

I"ve used Ctrl+F12 to speed up, and it works. Can I speed it up so much that I hurt my computer?? And how do I do the Frame Skip thing? I read it on here earlier, and now I can't find it again.

Secondly, Does Dfend let me increase the size, considering I've done the Fullscreen change in my Dosbox Config file and I"m still playing in a little window..

Oh yeah, and the sound effects for this version SUCK. Any helpful comments on making THAT better would rock.

You are all GODS to me, thanks.

1) dos4gw.exe. Hmmmmm, many years ago, I also had that problem at my 80386 Forton computer :D. If I Remember Correctly, it is an exe which many different games had, I haven't bothered to find out why :P. Do you have problems with that? Then, the answer is only one: corrupted file :(. Solution: Get another copy of the game, as mentioned above.

2) You are welcome JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo. Anytime ^_^

3.a)Sensen: DO, NOT, FRAME SKIP! Actually, the game runs much faster, but it is CHOPPY anyway. You lose frames! You won't see an animated cursor, people will do strange movements, etc. And, you just can't harm your computer, whatever you do with dosbox! :P. The only way to have a chance to do harm is to overclock you graphics card, which is done with an overclocking utility :P. You will only mess-up dosbox. That's totally no big issue, as you will just replace the settings file with a BACKUP, or with the settings I mention many posts above :).

3.B) Well, that's all you need to tweak to whatever you see fit:

fullscreen=true

fulldouble=false

fullfixed=false

fullresolution=1024x768

Just tweak the settings and see what happens, you won't accidentally format your HD :wink1: :D :)

4) There is another thread for the sound patch. Do a search pal

Edited by kafros

Guest Guest

Thanks for the help.

I've managed to get the game running really nice. THe only problem I have left is a bit of a sound problem, when I'm in the Tactical Screen.

The music becomes very very low, and there is a steady ... rythmic pulse noise, kind of a low bass sound,.. bup bup bup bup bup,.... in the backround. .. And the aliens die, and instead of that high pitch screaming whine that they normally do, I get a very low tone .. UUUGggghhhh, .. noise,. LOL

It almost sounds like the sounds aren't going fast enough to make thier proper sound. Like if you play a 45 record on way to slow of a speed.... Know what I mean?

I Have gone on and looked at all the threads here about sound,... they either confuse me, or I've done what they suggest, and I still have that same problem. ... If anyone has any new insights to this,........ Thanks. If not, I'll just deal with it, cuz it runs smooth enough that I tend to ignore the problems.

Thanks again.

Change the sound buffers..... that sounds plausible. Wanna tell me how to do that though? I'm not incredibly computer savy, but I learn fast and I"m usually good at following instructions, as long as they are basic enough.