XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Issue #163: CTD - Motion Sensor

Dan2 has made a significant and substantial contribution to this CT; unfortunately, his posting woes continue despite his current Applicant status. :(

The following is Dan2's Motion Detector text (with minor changes by me).
[quote name='Dan2']Motion Detector

The [Motion Detector] is a portable device designed to track mass motion in immediate vicinity.

This device contains several modules: an emitter module generating square pulse electromagnetic radiation ranging from radio wavelengths up to microwave radiation, a detector module design to analyze both the intensity of the reflected radiation as well as its polarization angle, and a computer module that processes the information coming from the detector and then subtracts the newly acquired data from images obtained from previous pulses, thus detecting only movement. Unfortunately, the processing power of the miniaturized portable computer is still challenged by the huge amount of data being processed, making it impractical to obtain full spectrum images. When the computer detects movement, it directs the emitter module to send a powerful terahertz radiation beam in the vicinity of movement to obtain more precise readings. Detecting heartbeats or circulating blood is still beyond the sensitivity of the detector, but large body movements are observed accurately on the on-board screen as bright dots in order to allow simple readings and to eliminate confusion.

Terahertz radiation, popularly called "T-Rays", can travel through electrically isolator materials like concrete in the same way light travel through glass, without too much absorption, so information such as angle, shape, mass and velocity can be extrapolated with much higher precision than when using just microwave radiation.  T-rays offer better penetration than infrared radiation through walls since paints and other organic materials used in wall and floor construction readily absorb the infrared wavelengths.

T-Rays can be produced by passing an electrical current through a semi-conductive material that injects electrons into a conductive material, like copper. When a conductive material is placed within a strong magnetic field, its randomly oriented electron spins realign, resulting in the release of T-rays.  When the T-ray emitter is placed between two mirrors, one highly reflective and one semitransparent, the initial terahertz radiation induces subsequent radiation to be produced having the same wavelength and direction with the original radiation. This cascade phenomenon of T-ray amplification is similar to that of lasers, only the radiation is in the invisible terahertz domain.

*Optional* Unfortunately, this device cannot be used effectively on Alien ships where the floors and/or the walls are made of Alien Composites, which is impenetrable to low energy electromagnetic radiation. (Paraphrase of Dan2: In reality, T-rays cannot penetrate metallic materials; one would have to use gamma rays, which are dangerous and can incidentally cause sterility;))[/quote] Edited by Astyanax

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tzuchan' date='Feb 22 2005, 02:03 PM']Erk...
Sounds like standing to near one of this things when it's in operation would sterilize me...

I mean, all that radiation?[/quote]
What? That's a feature! ;)

But joking aside, any sort of electromagnetic radiation can be called "radiation": heat, visible light, microwaves, gamma rays, radio waves, UV, etc. Not all of them induce sterility. :P

[quote name='Azrael' date='Feb 22 2005, 02:31 PM']Where had he posted this originally?, I didn't see it.[/quote]
He PMed it to me after his attempt to post it in the workshops failed. I posted it after a couple rounds of comments and corrections.

I hope his posting difficulties get cleared up. He's pretty eager, so I know you're just waiting to crack that whip and put him to work, Az! :)

[quote name='Astyanax' date='Feb 22 2005, 05:35 PM']I know you're just waiting to crack that whip and put him to work, Az! :)
[right][post="111687"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
How well you know me :whip:

[quote name='tzuchan' date='Feb 22 2005, 11:03 PM']Erk...
Sounds like standing to near one of this things when it's in operation would sterilize me...

I mean, all that radiation?
[right][post="111679"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Infrared light is more dangerius then terahearz beams. And it's not like THOSE are dangerius!

---

i've heard of these teraheartz beams - they are going to be used in airline security and at dentists. And, of course, to locate aliens through walls. Talking about multi-pupose.

... Just realisted that this could work as a fluff.

"Wait, terahertz beams? Yeah, they're using them for airline security, and at the dentist shop, and now we use them to locate aliens. Talking about multi-purpose!"

... :P Edited by mikker

• 3 weeks later...
Motion Detector
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Equipment/Motion Detector

The [Motion Detector] is a portable device designed to track mass motion in immediate vicinity.

This device contains several modules: an emitter module generating square pulse electromagnetic radiation ranging from radio wavelengths up to microwave radiation, a detector module design to analyze both the intensity of the reflected radiation as well as its polarization angle, and a computer module that processes the information coming from the detector and then subtracts the newly acquired data from images obtained from previous pulses, thus detecting only movement. Unfortunately, the processing power of the miniaturized portable computer is still challenged by the huge amount of data being processed, making it impractical to obtain full spectrum images. When the computer detects movement, it directs the emitter module to send a powerful terahertz radiation beam in the vicinity of movement to obtain more precise readings. Detecting heartbeats or circulating blood is still beyond the sensitivity of the detector, but large body movements are observed accurately on the on-board screen as bright dots in order to allow simple readings and to eliminate confusion.

Terahertz radiation, popularly called "T-Rays", can travel through electrically isolator materials like concrete in the same way light travel through glass, without too much absorption, so information such as angle, shape, mass and velocity can be extrapolated with much higher precision than when using just microwave radiation.  T-rays offer better penetration than infrared radiation through walls since paints and other organic materials used in wall and floor construction readily absorb the infrared wavelengths.

T-Rays can be produced by passing an electrical current through a semi-conductive material that injects electrons into a conductive material, like copper. When a conductive material is placed within a strong magnetic field, its randomly oriented electron spins realign, resulting in the release of T-rays.  When the T-ray emitter is placed between two mirrors, one highly reflective and one semitransparent, the initial terahertz radiation induces subsequent radiation to be produced having the same wavelength and direction with the original radiation. This cascade phenomenon of T-ray amplification is similar to that of lasers, only the radiation is in the invisible terahertz domain.

MOTION DETECTOR

The [Motion Detector] is a portable device designed to detect the position of any mass motion in the immediate vicinity of the user.

This device contains several modules: an emitter module generating square pulse electromagnetic radiation ranging from radio wavelengths up to microwave radiation, a detector module designed to analyze both the intensity of the reflected radiation as well as its polarization angle, a computer module that processes the information coming from the detector and a terahertz module required for very accurate measurements.

The generated images are subtracted from data obtained from previous pulses, thus the device detects only mass movement. Unfortunately, the processing power of this miniaturized portable computer is still challenged by the huge amount of data to be processed, making it impractical to obtain full spectrum images.

When the computer detects movement, it directs the emitter module to send a powerful terahertz radiation beam in the vicinity of movement to obtain more precise readings. Detecting heartbeats or circulating blood is still beyond the sensitivity of the detector, but large body movements are observed accurately on its small liquid crystal display as bright dots on a darker background in order to allow simple readings and to eliminate confusion.

Terahertz radiation, popularly called "T-Rays", can travel through electrically insulator materials like concrete in the same way light travels through glass, without much absorption, so information such as angle, shape, mass and velocity can be extrapolated with much higher precision than when using exclusively microwave radiation, because of their shorter wavelength to which accuracy is inverse proportional. T-rays offer better penetration than infrared radiation through walls since paints and other organic materials used in wall and floor construction readily absorb infrared wavelengths.

The [Motion Detector] is a very recommended piece of equipment, because knowing the position of the enemy can make the difference between victory and defeat. Since they are inexpensive and easy to manufacture, they should become a standard piece of equipment for any of our squads.

"I was working alone in the lab, testing the new prototype. Then, I saw that a large mass was walking towards me. I didn't see anyone! I was scared to death! The door opened, and then... I saw the FAT Dr. Gewkins. D-oh!"

-John Fieldentester, equipment tester

Edited by dan2

Wonderful! I don't think we should change much stuff...

Just some on-the-move-proofreading :)

Removal = Red, Correcton = Blue, Comment = Green

Motion Detector

The [Motion Detector] is a portable device designed to detect the position of any mass motion in the immediate vicinity of the user.

This device contains several modules: an emitter module generating square pulse electromagnetic radiation ranging from radio wavelengths up to microwave radiation, a detector module designed to analyze both the intensity of the reflected radiation as well as its polarization angle , a computer module that processes the information coming from the detector and a terahertz module required for very accurate measurements.

The generated images are subtracted from all input data obtained from previous pulses, thus the device detects only mass movement. Unfortunately, the processing power of this miniature portable computer is still challenged by the huge amount of data being to be processed, making it impractical {I think we should use "impossible" or something... But don't worry, "impractical" also fits :)} to obtain full spectrum images.

When the computer detects movement, it directs the emitter module to send a powerful terahertz radiation beam in the vicinity of movement to obtain more precise readings. Detecting heartbeats or circulating blood is still beyond the sensitivity of the detector, but large body movements are observed accurately on its small liquid crystal display as bright dots on a darker background in order to allow simple readings and to eliminate confusion.

Terahertz radiation, popularly called "T-Rays", can travel through electrically isolated materials like concrete in the same way light travels through glass, without too much absorption, so information such as angle, shape, mass and velocity can be extrapolated {hmmm...} with much higher precision than when using just exclusivelymicrowave radiation, because of their shorter wavelength to which accuracy is directly improportional {Smaller wavelength, Higher Precision. Higher wavelength, lower precision!}. T-rays offer better penetration than infrared radiation through walls since paints and other organic materials used in wall and floor construction readily absorb the infrared wavelengths.

The [Motion Detector] is a very recommended piece of equipment, because knowing the position of the enemy can make the difference between victory and defeat. Since they are inexpensive and easy to manufacture, they should become a standard piece of equipment for any of our squads.

"I was working alone in the lab, testing the new prototype. Then, I saw that a large mass was walking towards me. I didn't see anyone! I was scarred to death! The door opened, and then... I saw the FAT Dr. Gewkins. D-oh!"

"I was working alone in the lab, testing the new prototype. Then, I saw that a large mass was walking towards me. I didn't see anyone! I was scarred to death! The door opened, and then... I saw the FAT Dr. Gewkins. D-oh!"

one more little correction, as it will be corrected anyway: "scarred" --> "scared" :D

one more little correction, as it will be corrected anyway: "scarred" --> "scared" :D

I wrote it right when I added in the main text, didn't I?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to make sure, dan2, the text in post #62 is the most up-to-date version, right?

One minor comment- maybe change "FAT Dr. Gewkins" to "Dr. Gewkins's large bulk" (somewhat more refined) or "tubby Dr. Gewkins". :)

Just to make sure, dan2, the text in post #62 is the most up-to-date version, right?

One minor comment- maybe change "FAT Dr. Gewkins" to "Dr. Gewkins's large bulk" (somewhat more refined) or "tubby Dr. Gewkins". :)

Yes, I didn't want to post it again, so I just edited the text according to people's comments. About chubby Dr. Gewkins, I don't know, I'll change it to "tubby Dr. Gewkins", if Kafros agrees, :) since this is his fluff.

• 1 month later...
MOTION DETECTOR

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Equipment/MotionDetector

The [Motion Detector] is a portable device designed to improve the odds of our operatives on the battlefield. It detects accurately the position of any mass motion in the immediate vicinity of the user, revealing the presence of any incoming attacker and allowing a far better response against such threat. Unfortunately, any stationary enemy will not be revealed, so caution is adviced when advancing.

This device contains several modules: an emitter module generating square pulse electromagnetic radiation ranging from radio wavelengths up to microwave radiation, a detector module designed to analyze both the intensity of the reflected radiation as well as its polarization angle, a computer module that processes the information coming from the detectors and a terahertz module required for very accurate measurements.

The generated images are subtracted from data obtained from previous pulses, thus the [Motion Detector] reveals only mass movement. Unfortunately, the processing power of this miniaturized portable computer is still challenged by the huge amount of data to be processed, making it impractical to obtain full spectrum images.

When the computer detects movement, it directs the emitter module to send a powerful terahertz radiation beam in the vicinity of movement to obtain more precise readings. Detecting heartbeats or circulating blood is still beyond the sensitivity of the detector, but large body movements are observed accurately on its small liquid crystal display as bright dots on a darker background in order to allow simple readings and eliminate confusion.

Terahertz radiation, popularly called "T-Rays", can travel through electrically insulator materials like concrete in the same way light travels through glass, without much absorption, so information such as angle, shape, mass and velocity can be extrapolated with much higher precision than when using exclusively microwave radiation. The improvement comes from the fact that T-Rays have higher frequency, and the accuracy is proportional with the frequency. Also, T-rays offer better penetration through walls than infrared radiation since the common paints and cement additives used in wall and floor construction readily absorb infrared wavelengths.

"I was working alone in the lab, testing the new prototype and I saw a huge mass coming towards me. I looked, but I didn't see anyone! I was scared to death! I saw the door opening, and then... FAT Dr. Gewkins coming in. D-oh!"

Edited by dan2

• 2 months later...

MOTION SENSOR

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Equipment/Motion Sensor

The Motion Sensor is a portable device designed to improve the odds of our operatives on the battlefield. It detects accurately the position of any mass motion in the immediate vicinity of the user, revealing the presence of any incoming attacker and allowing a far better response against such threat. Unfortunately, any stationary enemy will not be revealed, so caution is adviced when advancing.

This device contains several modules: an emitter module generating square pulse electromagnetic radiation ranging from radio wavelengths up to microwave radiation, a detector module designed to analyze both the intensity of the reflected radiation as well as its polarization angle, a computer module that processes the information coming from the detectors and a terahertz module required for very accurate measurements.

The generated images are subtracted from data obtained from previous pulses, thus the Motion Sensor reveals only mass movement. Unfortunately, the processing power of this miniaturized portable computer is still challenged by the huge amount of data to be processed, making it impractical to obtain full spectrum images.

When the computer detects movement, it directs the emitter module to send a powerful terahertz radiation beam in the vicinity of movement to obtain more precise readings. Detecting heartbeats or circulating blood is still beyond the sensitivity of the detector, but large body movements are observed accurately on its small liquid crystal display as bright dots on a darker background in order to allow simple readings and eliminate confusion.

Terahertz radiation, popularly called "T-Rays", can travel through electrically insulator materials like concrete in the same way light travels through glass, without much absorption, so information such as angle, shape, mass and velocity can be extrapolated with much higher precision than when using exclusively microwave radiation. The improvement comes from the fact that T-Rays have higher frequency, and the accuracy is proportional with the frequency. Also, T-rays offer better penetration through walls than infrared radiation since the common paints and cement additives used in wall and floor construction readily absorb infrared wavelengths.

The Motion Sensor is a very recommended piece of equipment, because knowing the position of the enemy can make the difference between victory and defeat. Since they are inexpensive and easy to manufacture, they should become a standard piece of equipment for any of our squads.

"I was working alone in the lab, testing the new prototype and I saw a huge mass coming towards me. I looked, but I didn't see anyone! I was scared to death! I saw the door opening, and then... tubby Dr. Gewkins came in. D-oh!"

Terahertz radiation, popularly called "T-Rays", can travel through electrically insulator materials like concrete in the same way light travels through glass, without much absorption, so information such as angle, shape, mass and velocity can be extrapolated with much higher precision than when using exclusively microwave radiation.

It's a nice draft, I just have one Problem with it: It's not gonna work like this! :( Because the higher the frequency the better it is absorbed. Thats why light (which is a electromagnetic wave in the THz spectrum (400 THz - 789 THz) cannot pass through concrete walls. If you want to penetrate concrete you have to use EM waves with a less frequency. The problem is that with lower frequency which can penetrate concrete a body is difficult to spot. I think the best frequency would be 2.4 GHz, because that is the resonance frequency of watermolecules. The Problem with this is that one could only spot water-based lifeforms, which excludes the Silibrate. The other Problem is that if you use a high energy for this everyone in the vicinity is kind of "grilled" (2.4 GHz is the frequency a microwave oven works with. It's working, because the watermolecules resonate and start to oscillate, which is resulting in (or which is the same as) your meal getting hot). For normal spotting in max. 30 to 100 Meters distance 2.4 GHz are precise enough and the energy doesn't need to be that high that people are effected by it. The next problem is, that these waves are absorbed by the bodys and not reflected like radar waves are reflected by metal. But maybe one could explain the precise detection with the reading of the distorted EM field. This is not pretty scientific, but not that easy to uncover :P.

For readings in the dark, the view not blocked by walls, you should implement ultrasound which is a pretty precise and robust technique.

Sorry for beeing the grinch... :)

• 1 month later...
It's a nice draft, I just have one Problem with it: It's not gonna work like this!  :( Because the higher the frequency the better it is absorbed. Thats why light (which is a electromagnetic wave in the THz spectrum (400 THz - 789 THz) cannot pass through concrete walls. If you want to penetrate concrete you have to use EM waves with a less frequency. The problem is that with lower frequency which can penetrate concrete a body is difficult to spot. I think the best frequency would be 2.4 GHz, because that is the resonance frequency of watermolecules. The Problem with this is that one could only spot water-based lifeforms, which excludes the Silibrate. The other Problem is that if you use a high energy for this everyone in the vicinity is kind of "grilled" (2.4 GHz is the frequency a microwave oven works with. It's working, because the watermolecules resonate and start to oscillate, which is resulting in (or which is the same as) your meal getting hot). For normal spotting in max. 30 to 100 Meters distance 2.4 GHz are precise enough and the energy doesn't need to be that high that people are effected by it. The next problem is, that these waves are absorbed by the bodys and not reflected like radar waves are reflected by metal. But maybe one could explain the precise detection with the reading of the distorted EM field. This is not pretty scientific, but not that easy to uncover :P.

For readings in the dark, the view not blocked by walls, you should implement ultrasound which is a pretty precise and robust technique.

Sorry for beeing the grinch...  :)

I think you might mean 2.4 THz, or I'll suspect my phone is trying to kill me (since it operates at 2.4 GHz).

Actually the device was imagined to work with a broader spectrum, rather than a unique frequency (square pulse for broadness), so other chemical bonds might be detected (like the ones present in Silabrate).

I was under the impression that some of the rays get reflected by metal (at least in my microwave), but I'm not entirely certain.

If the user has a metalic armor, he/she should not be in danger of being cooked alive, due to shielding.

I'll be glad to talk more about this, who knows, maybe it might work in the real life itself :)

I think you might mean 2.4 THz, or I'll suspect my phone is trying to kill me (since it operates at 2.4 GHz).

No, I mean 2.4 Ghz! Your Phone is trying to kill you :P, but because the power is not very high, it cannot succed... But that is the reason why a lot of people think it's pretty unhealthy to have a portable phone or WLAN...

Actually the device was imagined to work with a broader spectrum, rather than a unique frequency (square pulse for broadness), so other chemical bonds might be detected (like the ones present in Silabrate).

I was under the impression that some of the rays get reflected by metal (at least in my microwave), but I'm not entirely certain.

If the user has a metalic armor, he/she should not be in danger of being cooked alive, due to shielding.

[...]

What do you mean by "broader spectrum"? Sure, you can use a broader spectrum, but if you move too much to the higher frequencies, you will not penetrate solids, if you move too much to the lower frequencies, it will be pretty imprecise and might penetrate the targets. For the identification of different materials, I'm not sure, but this should work as well with one (read: small spectrum) frequency.

Sure, some waves will be reflected, allowing a detection of the target.

If he/she/the soldier is wearing a metallic armour the waves will induce an eddy current which will have enormous energies and will heat up/melt the uniform. Plus, a metal uniform might be a little too heavy, won't it?

Yes, it seems the phone is trying to fry my brain :(

Broader spectrum would mean the pulse-wave is not sinusoidal in nature, neither square (like a spark or lightning), but somewhere in between, covering a broad band of frequencies rather than a very thin channel.

The range that this device have to cover should be about 6 metres (6 X-Com steps), so absorbtion, even if strong, shouldn't make the device completely ineffective, since very low amounts of radiation can be detected.

The image is made from differences in overlapped images, so a moving absorbing object should be also made visible.

Probably a few kilowatts would be required to heat and melt armor, I hope the device have way less output (not sure)

P.S. I still think terahertz radiation could be used, since it's absorption is not that great that renders it unusable (there's hope it will be used eventually for scanning on airports, medicine) on very short range scanners

Edited by dan2

[...]

The range that this device have to cover should be about 6 metres (6 X-Com steps), so absorbtion, even if strong, shouldn't make the device completely ineffective, since very low amounts of radiation can be detected.

The image is made from differences in overlapped images, so a moving absorbing object should be also made visible.

Probably a few kilowatts would be required to heat and melt armor, I hope the device have way less output (not sure)

P.S. I still think terahertz radiation could be used, since it's absorption is not that great that renders it unusable (there's hope it will be used eventually for scanning on airports, medicine) on very short range scanners

Hm. With six steps this might be no problem anymore. At least if you scan through the air. But don't try scanning through walls with THz radiation, 'cause this won't work. I thought this was the overall idea - to see through walls. You can use THz radiation, but you should remember, that it behaves more or less exactly like visible light.

I think we can find anything we need here http://www.ncjrs.org/pdffiles1/nij/07_01.pdf

Once more, I insist that the Motion Sensor just CAN'T rely on ONE technology. We need a hyper-top-quality CPU which computes signals from various inputs (Ultrasound, Metal Detection, Infrared etc), and then sends the data to a video adaptor which draws an image, either a framework, or a video quality image (much more difficult and GPU hungry). In addition, that device will never be as small as your cellphone... probably as big as 1/4 of a small microwave oven.

It may be better to think about it again....

Once more, I insist that the Motion Sensor just CAN'T rely on ONE technology. We need a hyper-top-quality CPU which computes signals from various inputs (Ultrasound, Metal Detection, Infrared etc), and then sends the data to a video adaptor which draws an image, either a framework, or a video quality image (much more difficult and GPU hungry). In addition, that device will never be as small as your cellphone... probably as big as 1/4 of a small microwave oven.

Indeed, the text refers to more than one method to estimate the movement degree and the distances (IR, T-rays, broad spectrum) and more technologies can be added.

The device is bulky enough to waste 1/4 total round points for any soldier, but with lightweight material, it should not encumber too much the wearer.

Let's hope CPU manufacturers will have soon another revolutionary discovery with supercooled semiconductor, allowing the CPU shrinkage 10 fold. Cross your fingers and hope for it, it can happen in the near future :)

• 1 month later...

MOTION SENSOR

The Motion Sensor is a portable device designed to improve the odds of our operatives on the battlefield. It detects accurately the position of any moving mass in the immediate vicinity of the user, revealing the presence of any potential incoming attacker and allowing a far better response against such threats. Unfortunately, any stationary enemy will not be revealed, caution is to be taken when advancing

This device contains several modules: an EM emitter module generating square pulse electromagnetic radiation ranging from radio wavelengths up to microwave radiation, an Ultrasound emmiter generating ultrasound waves, a MARS module, a detector module designed to analyze both the intensity of the reflected radiation as well as its polarization angle, a computer module that processes the information coming from the detectors and a terahertz module required for very accurate measurements.

The generated images are subtracted from data obtained from previous pulses, thus the Motion Sensor reveals only mass movement. Although this model accomodates the most powerful and small CELL technology CPUs, the processing power of this miniaturized portable computer is still challenged by the huge amount of data to be processed, making it impractical to obtain full spectrum images.

Terahertz radiation, popularly called "T-Rays", can travel through electrically insulator materials like concrete in the same way light travels through glass, without much absorption, so information such as angle, shape, mass and velocity can be extrapolated with much higher precision than when using exclusively microwave radiation. The improvement comes from the fact that T-Rays have higher frequency, and the accuracy is proportional with the frequency.

Whenever obstacles interrupt the sensors detection ability and T-Rays are useless due to absorption, the MARS module gets into operation. This special technology has the ability to infiltrate through the slightest crack in walls, thus provides the user with a view of moving targets behind walls.

The Motion Sensor is a very recommended piece of equipment, because knowing the position of the enemy can make the difference between victory and defeat. Since they are fairly inexpensive and easy to manufacture, they should become a standard piece of equipment for any of our squads.

"I was working alone in the lab, testing the new prototype and I saw a huge mass coming towards me. I looked, but I didn't see anyone! I was scared to death! I saw the door opening, and then... tubby Dr. Gewkins came in. D-oh!"

Edit: Implemented Az's comments

To look at most kinds of sensors, have a look HERE!

Edited by kafros

Nice work :)

The usual drill:

red for deletions

blue for comments and word suggestions (always for the italic written word directly ahead the " "-tagged comment)

orange for additions

MOTION SENSOR

The Motion Sensor is a portable device designed to improve the odds of our operatives on the battlefield. It accurately detects accurately the position of any moving mass in the immediate vicinity of the user, revealing the presence of any potential incoming attacker and allowing a far better response against such threats. Unfortunately, any stationary enemy will not be revealed, caution is to be taken when advancing.

Maybe better "Since unfortunatly any stationary enemys will not be revealed, advancing with extreme caution is recomended"

This device contains several modules: an EM emitter module generating square pulse electromagnetic radiation ranging from radio wavelengths up to microwave radiation, an Ultrasound emmiter generating ultrasound waves, a MARS module, a detector module designed to analyze both the intensity of the reflected radiation as well as its polarization angle, a computer module that processes the information coming from the detectors and a terahertz module required for very accurate measurements.

The generated images are subtracted from data obtained from by? - otherwise you've a double "from" previous pulses, thus the Motion Sensor reveals only mass movement. Repetition. Maybe remove the "mass movement" comment from the first paragraph? Although this model accomodates the most powerful and small CELL technology CPUs This will be pretty old tech in these days. Maybe just stick to saying: "Although this model accomodates military use state of the art Microprocessors..." , the processing power of this miniaturized portable computer is still challenged by the huge amount of data to be processed, making it impractical to obtain full spectrum images.

When "as soon as"? the computer detects movement, it directs the emitter module to send a powerful terahertz radiation beam in the vicinity of movement "the discovered mass movement" to obtain more precise readings. Detecting heartbeats or circulating blood is still beyond the sensitivity of the detector, but large body movements are observed accurately on its small liquid crystal display Well, they might use OLEDs in these days... Might be better when batteling in arctic regions. as bright dots on a darker background in order to allow simple readings and eliminate confusion.

Terahertz radiation, popularly called "T-Rays", can travel through electrically insulator materials like concrete in the same way light travels through glass, without much absorption, so information such as angle, shape, mass and velocity can be extrapolated with much higher precision than when using exclusively microwave radiation. The improvement comes from the fact that T-Rays have higher frequency, and the accuracy is proportional with the frequency.

I stated before, that light is nothing else then "T-Rays", therefore, they will most definetly not travel through concrete. Or am I mistaken here?

Whenever obstacles interrupt the sensors detection ability and T-Rays are useless due to absorption, the MARS module gets into operation. This special technology has the ability to infiltrate through the slightest crack in walls, thus provides the user with a view of moving targets behind walls.

What's this MARS Technology? I can't explain myself how it should work. Sorry. :(

The Motion Sensor is a very recommended piece of equipment, because knowing the position of the enemy can make the difference between victory and defeat. Since they are fairly inexpensive and easy to manufacture, they should become a standard piece of equipment for any of our squads.

I think this should be rephrased. Maybe more like "The use of the Motion sensor device is recommended by the X-Corps tactical board. Knowing the exact location of enemy units is the key to a increased kill/casualities ratio. To ensure the equipping of all platoons the construction costs for this device were held as low as achivable.

MOTION SENSOR

The Motion Sensor is a portable device designed to improve the odds of our operatives on the battlefield. This device is composed by state-of-the art parts. First of all, an Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) screen guarantees clear display and power-saving operation. An EM emitter module, which generates square pulse electromagnetic radiation ranging from radio wavelengths up to microwave radiation, and an Ultrasound emitter module, which generates ultrasound waves, are the main means of detection. Whenever more precise readings are needed, a Terahertz Radiation (T-Ray) emitter is ready for operation. Finally yet importantly, a Motion And Ranging Sensor (MARS) module is online whenever coherent obstacles such as walls or metal objects absorb all other radiation. Any kind of reflected radiation is caught by the detector module, which analyzes both the intensity of the reflected wave as well as its polarization angle. Then, the data is sent to the computer module that processes the information.

The generated images are subtracted from data obtained by previous pulses. Thus, the device accurately detects the position of any moving mass in the immediate vicinity of the user, revealing the presence of any potential incoming attacker and allowing a far better response against such threats. Stationary enemies will not be revealed, thus extreme caution is to be taken when advancing. Although this model accommodates an array of optimized CELL processors, the processing power of this miniaturized portable computer is still challenged by the huge amount of data to be processed, making it impractical to obtain full spectrum images.

:NoNo: The first launch date will be late 2006, when PS3 gets launched. I guess we won't see CELL processors in desktop computers until 2007, or even 2008...

Nevertheless, they are VERY powerful and EXTRA SMALL

As soon as the computer detects movement, it directs the T-Ray emitter module to send a powerful radiation beam in the vicinity of the possible target to obtain more precise readings. Detecting heartbeats or circulating blood is still beyond the sensitivity of the detector, but large body movements are observed accurately on its small display as bright dots on a darker background in order to allow simple readings and eliminate confusion.

Terahertz radiation, popularly called "T-Rays", can penetrate a wide variety of non-conducting materials like clothing, paper, cardboard, wood, masonry, plastic and ceramics without much absorption, so information such as angle, shape, mass and velocity can be extrapolated with much higher precision than when using exclusively microwave radiation. The improvement comes from the fact that T-Rays have higher frequency, and the accuracy is proportional with the frequency. Alas, due to the technical limitations of the device, we are unable to utilize most of this information. Nevertheless, the T-Rays module is an important input feed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terahertz_radiation

Before writing this post, I did a LOT of research on this issue. I would post much information and many links, but in order not to become boring, I'll provide you the most important information:

MARS technology was developed by Raytheon, but I can't find any more information :(.

TWS is what we are looking for! Through-the-Wall Surveillance. It's a technology category, not a specific technology. I can't find how it works. That's because research efforts on this subject aren't old enough, the first to develop a good model is the winner. So, I guess we will just have to be a bit "creative" if we really want to explain how it works :D.

Once again, make sure that you read THIS PDF!!! It is definitely the BEST you can find. I've looked at EVERY possible page I found in dogpile, google, acoona and vivisimo. I'll get mad (and eat Mad :wink1: ) if I have missed a useful page.

http://www.ottawa.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/html/RS-216-tws_e.html

Overview of New Surveillance Technologies

The X-Corps tactical board recommends the use of the Motion sensor device. The location of the enemy is a key-knowledge to success. In order to provide our platoons with this valuable support, the manufacturing costs for this device were held to a minimum.

Hey, I didn't say you didn't do your research properly... :)

I now like the explanaition of the T-Ray module a lot better, since it excludes concrete, which is a very good absorber because of it's high water contingent.

I really like this draft! =b No further comments at this time - altough I would like MARS to be explained in a little more detail, but I know, there aren't too many people who think that way...

Edited by Mad

Hey, I didn't say you didn't do your research properly... :)

Actually, that "Eat Mad" comment just came out of the blue, I didn't have anything particular in mind ^_^. Just wanted to tease you a lil bit :P

altough I would like MARS to be explained in a little more detail, but I know, there aren't too many people who think that way...
MARS technology was developed by Raytheon, but I can't find any more information :(.

TWS is what we are looking for! Through-the-Wall Surveillance. It's a technology category, not a specific technology. I can't find how it works. That's because research efforts on this subject aren't old enough, the first to develop a good model is the winner. So, I guess we will just have to be a bit "creative" if we really want to explain how it works :D.

Once again, make sure that you read THIS PDF!!! It is definitely the BEST you can find. I've looked at EVERY possible page I found in dogpile, google, acoona and vivisimo. I'll get mad (and eat Mad :wink1: ) if I have missed a useful page.

http://www.ottawa.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/html/RS-216-tws_e.html

Overview of New Surveillance Technologies

Actually, I also want to explain it, but as you can see from my quote.......

Got any creative juice?

Maybe we could use some Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. As you know,

the effect of a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.

Actually, I also want to explain it, but as you can see from my quote.......

Got any creative juice?

Maybe we could use some Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. As you know,

the effect of a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.

Well, first of all, you're reading way too much british litaratre literature :P :D

Second, I understood you can't find it anymore, so think of sth.. :D

The codename MARS seems to be used for a DTRA Program: http://www.dtra.mil/toolbox/directorates/c.../mars/index.cfm

http://www.asc.army.mil/mars/

Well, actually there are 1000 possibilities to explain MARS. Maybe just leave it out? Or try to think of sth. new. This is not common good technology, so you have to explain how it works. If you can't, create sth. new. Don't feel bound to the acronym you found. Make sth. new. Maybe an infrasound detector. Not precise, but it can easily "hear" movement through the thickest walls... :)

Actually, you have misunderstood me somehow... I don't want to explain how MARS technology works. I just want to find or create (That's why I called for creative juice :P) a sensible explanation on how TWS technologies work, a GENERAL explanation.

MARS was supposed to be a TWS technology, but I don't care, let's scrap it (offtopic: that was the meaning I had in mind when I said "scrapbook" ;) ), and use something better :).

The problem is: How does the "X" technology achieve Through-the-Wall Surveillance?

Actually, you have misunderstood me somehow... I don't want to explain how MARS technology works. I just want to find or create (That's why I called for creative juice :P) a sensible explanation on how TWS technologies work, a GENERAL explanation.

MARS was supposed to be a TWS technology, but I don't care, let's scrap it (offtopic: that was the meaning I had in mind when I said "scrapbook" ;) ), and use something better :).

The problem is: How does the "X" technology achieve Through-the-Wall Surveillance?

Ok, so why not use Infrasound as TWS? Ok, I must admit this is not too flashy, but maybe the best shot...

MOTION SENSOR

The Motion Sensor is a portable device designed to improve the odds of our operatives on the battlefield. This device is composed by state-of-the art parts. First of all, an Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) screen guarantees clear display and power-saving operation. An EM emitter module, which generates square pulse electromagnetic radiation ranging from radio wavelengths up to microwave radiation, and an Ultrasound emitter module, which generates ultrasound waves, are the main means of detection. Whenever more precise readings are needed, a Terahertz Radiation (T-Ray) emitter is ready for operation. Finally yet importantly, an InfraSense™ module emits infrasound waves and is online whenever coherent obstacles such as walls or metal objects absorb the radiation produced by the device. The reflected radiation is caught by the Receiver module, which analyzes both its intensity as well as its polarization angle. Then, the data is sent to the computer module that processes the information.

As soon as the movement is detected by the Receiver, it directs the T-Ray emitter module to send a powerful radiation beam in the vicinity of the possible target to obtain more precise readings. Terahertz radiation, popularly called "T-Rays", can penetrate a wide variety of non-conducting materials like clothing, paper, cardboard, wood, masonry, plastic and ceramics without much absorption, so information such as angle, shape, mass and velocity can be extrapolated with much higher precision than when using exclusively microwave radiation. The improvement comes from the fact that T-Rays have higher frequency, and the accuracy is proportional with the frequency. Alas, due to the technical limitations of the device, we are unable to utilize most of this information. Nevertheless, the T-Rays module is an important input feed.

Whenever obstacles interrupt the sensors detection ability and T-Rays are useless due to absorption, the InfraSense™ module gets into operation. This module is an optimized seismic sensor designed for military use. A moving object can be detected by got a verb? the Doppler effect. It is sensitive enough to pick up people moving at up to 50m and vehicles up to 150m away. The built-in software can be set to filter-out annoyances like animal movement, wind etc, and is easily updated.

The generated images are subtracted from data obtained by previous pulses. Thus, the device accurately detects the position of any moving mass in the immediate vicinity of the user, revealing the presence of any potential incoming attacker and allowing a far better response against such threats. Stationary enemies will not be revealed, thus extreme caution is to be taken when advancing. Although this model accommodates an array of optimized CELL processors, the processing power of this miniaturized portable computer is still challenged by the huge amount of data to be processed, making it impractical to obtain full spectrum images. Detecting heartbeats or circulating blood is still beyond the sensitivity of the detector, but large body movements are observed accurately on its small display as bright dots on a darker background in order to allow simple readings and eliminate confusion.

The X-Corps tactical board recommends the use of the Motion sensor device. The location of the enemy is a key-knowledge to success. In order to provide our platoons with this valuable support, the manufacturing costs for this device were held to a minimum.

==============

Orange is the paragraph we should mainly work on, Red is parts of paragraphs I put together as one, Purple are changes I made.

Infrasound will be used mainly as a weapon in the near future

Edited by kafros

I think there is no need/no sense in emitting infra sound. It's best just to listen.

Actually, that was what I first had in mind. You sense seismic waves, you don't produce it ^^. So, walking aliens produce such vibrations which can be detected by the device. The Artopod has 3 legs and is a heavy machine, so you see a brighter light.

1) What about the hovering cyberdisc?

2) Why aren't there dots of different radii? A [Muton] should be brighter and bigger than an Cloak. Have we set some "radius zones"?

I think there is no need/no sense in emitting infra sound. It's best just to listen.

Actually, that was what I first had in mind. You sense seismic waves, you don't produce it ^^. So, walking aliens produce such vibrations which can be detected by the device. The Artopod has 3 legs and is a heavy machine, so you see a brighter light.

1) What about the hovering cyberdisc?

2) Why aren't there dots of different radii? A [Muton] should be brighter and bigger than an Cloak. Have we set some "radius zones"?

1)Even Cyberdiscs produce a infrasound signal (vibrations etc. - the infrasound doesn't have to travel through the soil), or, other possibility, they are detected by the other sensors. Maybe just add an EM sensor. This way you can easily detect anything with an EM signature - even through walls.

2)Well, we could do sth. like this (v1+) but let's just say, you need a lot experience with this, so the device limits it's output to prevent an easy interpretable information. It should not draw the soldiers attention from the battlefield.

---Edit---

clarified last sentence

Edited by Mad

• 2 weeks later...

very nice, i like the way its written.

I only have one suggestion

in

"The built-in software can be calibrated to filter-out annoyances like animal movement, wind etc. and is easily updated."

replace “animal” with “critter” or something like that; if we go by the motion sensor in the original x-com the thing would “blip” at a civilian/operative the same way it would “blip” a alien.

I doubt software that can’t tell the difference between a human and a alien, can tell the difference between a bear, and a raptor.

It could however exclude small animals and insects.

PS: Dopplering!!! ^^

Well, in V1, there COULD be software with FOF (Friend Or Foe) recognition. Critter sounds better than animal, indeed. The CT clearly says that it just detects moving OBJECTS and filters out noise and annoyances. Should it be more clear?

What's bad with dopplering? :P

BLIP?! Imagine hearing a "BLIP" while in a stealth mission, hiding behind a crate in a UFO... Really bad :P

MOTION SENSOR

The Motion Sensor is a portable device designed to automatically collect information from the surrounding area, analyze it and provide a visual representation of moving bodies and will definitely improve the odds of X-Corps operatives on the battlefield.

This device consists of state-of-the art parts. Its most important one is the Receiver module, a complex internal structure that captures EM Radiation and Ultrasound and analyzes both their intensity as well as polarization angle (whenever applicable). A Terahertz Radiation emitter provides the ability of more precise detection in a larger range. In addition, an InfraSense™ module detects infrasound and thus seismic vibrations, which proves extremely useful whenever obstacles block other kinds of input. Then, all data is sent to the Computer module that processes the information. An Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) screen guarantees clear display and power-saving operation. A high-capacitance lithium battery provides energy for five hours of endless operation. Additionally, a kinetic dynamo takes advantage of the soldier’s movement and converts kinetic energy into electricity, which charges the battery.

As soon as the Receiver detects motion, it directs the T-Ray emitter to send a powerful radiation beam in the vicinity of the possible target to obtain more precise readings. Terahertz radiation, popularly called "T-Rays", can penetrate a wide variety of non-conducting materials like clothing, paper, cardboard, wood, masonry, plastic and ceramics without much absorption, so information such as angle, shape, mass and velocity can be extrapolated with much higher precision than when using exclusively EM radiation. The improvement comes from the fact that T-Rays have higher frequency, and the accuracy is proportional with the frequency. Alas, due to the technical limitations of the device, we are unable to utilize most of this information. Nevertheless, this fact does not demote the T-Rays module, which is still an important input feed.

Whenever obstacles interrupt the Receiver’s detection ability and T-Rays are useless due to absorption, the InfraSense™ module supports the detection automation. This module is an optimized seismic sensor designed for military use. Dopplering the source of the seismic vibration reveals if it is a moving body or a periodic source. It is sensitive enough to pick up people moving at up to 50m and vehicles up to 150m away. The built-in software can be calibrated to filter-out annoyances like critter movement, wind etc. and is easily updated.

The generated images are subtracted from data obtained by previous pulses. Thus, the device accurately detects the position of any moving mass in the immediate vicinity of the user, revealing the presence of any potential incoming attacker and allowing a far better response against such threats. Although this model accommodates an array of optimized CELL processors, the processing power of this miniaturized portable computer is still challenged by the huge amount of data to be processed, making it impractical to obtain full spectrum images or FOF (Friend-Or-Foe) recognition. Detecting heartbeats or circulating blood is still beyond the sensitivity of the detector. Stationary enemies will not be revealed, thus extreme caution is to be taken when advancing. Nevertheless, large body movements are observed accurately on its small display as bright dots on a darker background in order to allow simple readings and eliminate confusion.

“Who wants to play hide and seek?”

- Rookie John Adams

Anything more? I personally feel it is complete.