XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Cant Get Cwxced To Work....

Maruu

everytime i try to start the editor it keeps blurting out same old anoying error "no such file or folder" ive edited the ini file to point to where i got the game installed but still nothing happens.... :crying1:

it give me a headache.... can anyone explain to me what im doing wrong?

Moved to the Clark Wehyr Editor forums.

What path name are you entering in your ini file?

- NKF

It could be having trouble with the long file names. You may want to try using the 8.3 filename equivalents.

Try:

C:\Progra~1\Micro~1\X-COMc~1\UFODef~1

And

C:\Progra~1\Micro~1\X-COMc~1\Terror~1

If that's not it, you can use Dir /x to look up the short file names for any of your files and folders with anything longer than 8 letters or has spaces in it.

Or just move your game directories to a far simpler directory structure. Such as:

c:\games\ufo

c:\games\tftd

Short and simple!

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Hmm, odd. I've used the editor in the past with no trouble. Still...

One thought has occured to me. Are you getting that error message the moment you type in the editor filename? Or does the editor work but it just cannot find the savegame files?

It could very well be a path issue. Where have you stored the editors?

Try typing

set path = %path%;

And then add the name of the directory where you've stored the editors after the semicolon, use another semicolon to separate the paths if you've stored the TFTD editor in a separate directory. Do this before running the program.

For example, if I've stored the editors under e:\utils\, I would type in:

set path = %path%; e:\utils\

This just adds an extra directory for your dos console to search for programs and run them as if they were in the current directory.

---

Or, you could probably put a copy of the executable in your game directory and try running it from within there.

- NKF

• 1 month later...

Hey, i did everything listed here and it doesn't work

i can't rename my Microprose folder to MPS because i would have to hunt through my system and delete any shortcuts anywhere, so is there any other way to get it to work?

• 8 months later...

Hmm... DOSbox says XCOMEDIT isn't a valid command. I have the editor installed, though. I copied the info to C:\XCOM, like Blood Angel did, so could anyone post, like, a step by step guide of how to open up Game_4 and edit it?

:unsure:

What version of DOSbox are you using? With most versions, just typing in xcomedit should be enough. Use Windows to identify the files and go from there.

This is what I do every time, with the file directory thus;

CWXCED files: C:\dos\CWXCED

XCom files: C:\dos\XCOM

TFTD files: C:\dos\TFTD

I told the CWXCED installer the paths, then do this:

Open DOSbox

It'll give you the help screen and then it'll say z:\>

Type "mount c C:\"

Then type C:

It'll change to C:\>

type "cd dos\cwxced" OR "cd dos" and then "cd cwxced"

Then type "xcomedit" to edit XCom or "tftdedit" to edit TFTD.

It'll present you with a game menu. Use the arrow keys to select the game and then press enter to edit it. Any more help, just ask ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
i did read the guide and downloaded the server file, and i installed it, but in the guide, it says theres a file called mtaserver.conf and what the heck? ive been looking and that file isnt there, ive re installed it and all but i cant find it, can anyone help me?