XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Apoc'd

no swapping files?!??...

Whatttttt... thats all Im good for xD!

Besides, it means people can customize what I give to them to a further extent =D

Looks like it might still be necessary after all: apocalypse doesn't seem to check for casualties&equipment if your units don't have the correct image #. So you can shoot and lose soldiers all you want, they'll be back again in the cityscape with their original equipment&health, ready for the next mission. :)

Also tried to give Xcom agents built-in armor, but so far it seems this is disregarded as well.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on figuring out the weapon sets units receive. So far I worked out that Unknown 62&63 (in the Unit Stats section) determine if the unit can carry equipment (1) or not/uses built-in weapons (0). Unknown 63 for weapons and 62 for other equipment or something I think. With these it might be possible to allow scientists&engineers to use weapons and arm civilans, though I don't know if it'll work as they lack the corresponding image frames.

Then we have the Weapon Set 1-5 (?) fields, I'm now sure they really are the weapon sets, but they only work right for units with built-in weapons, other units' weapon sets are probably overridden by the current score? I'd like to find the weapon set data itself, might contain more information. Anyone know how unit inventories are stored? Or how they are stored in xcom1/2, probably more or less the same.

Anyone know how unit inventories are stored? Or how they are stored in xcom1/2, probably more or less the same.
In the Battlescape, inventories are "stored" as 1-byte enums associating items in the global object list with units and inventory positions. Details are at the UFOPaedia (OBPOS.DAT).

Im fairly sure that It wouldnt be an overly huge issue of the scientists being able to equip weapons without the correct frames, just wont be able to see their weapons probably ^^'..

It would be Quite a treat if you could find out how to make them "Humanoid" rather than "Creature like" so that their body parts move as seperate peices. :D

Once that is done It would then be possible to simply swap around some graphic's and make the scientists visable again.

Edit: 63 has been confirmed as allowing only prequipped items to be used, this also caused undesired system instability when put onto my agents xD!

62 does not appear to affect armour or items at all, so Im at a loss.

with 62 disabled I am still able to pick up items, reload, and do everything normally.

But for Some reason I managed to lose an agent to a simple Grenade.

Perhaps 62 causes ignoring of armor resistances or perhaps ignoring armour all together?

Edit2: Any guess at what 64 might be?

Set on 0 is normal for agents, set on 2 appears to change nothing, as well as setting it to 1.

Edit3: I was taking a quick look at the item sets so I opened apoc'd twice so I could look at the weapons lists, and found that the only unknown left, is the Health of the item.

I figured that out when I noticed both Missles and the lawpistol have the same number, 9.

they have nothing in common, what could it have been?

They are Both Fragile.

:D

in an Unrelated note, dont run apoc'd twice at the same time as it slows the crap out of your computer. :X

Edit4: I know ALOT of edits, but Im working here ]:<

The set you named "Image" I really dont think is image.

it may be inventory set, as I set the Cultists to 0 after setting mine to 16 instead of mine.

with agents as 16 it just turn's their armour off, but with cultists to 0 it shows as one of the agents which I had (coincidentally) mixed armours on.

It seems to detect the first agent it see's and takes over its graphics, then the game locks up.

That is Definatly not a variable to be playing with. X:

There is also no Image 18, and this confuses me a little.

Edit 5: Back to value 63, I put it on the spitters in a new game and threw 20 of them into the senate for testing.

Simply put, they spat brain sucker pods at me. D:

This means that we can give Scientists weapons now, but as I thought correctly, they will not be shown with a gun or firing animation.

Now just to find which weapons are set to be built into what.

I have a hankering to put a popper bomb on brain suckers ^_^

Edit 6: Was messing around with the spitters built in weapons, it seems they cant use popper bombs or variable 5, which seems to be shared between the hyperworm and the brainsucker..

the spitters just run around helpless.

I think that the current weapon sets might actually be the ai, but thats still Very uncertain as they didnt rush at my agents. D:

Edited by NRN_R_Sumo1

Anyone know how unit inventories are stored? Or how they are stored in xcom1/2, probably more or less the same.
In the Battlescape, inventories are "stored" as 1-byte enums associating items in the global object list with units and inventory positions. Details are at the UFOPaedia (OBPOS.DAT).

Thx for the info Zaimoni! I'll see into the apocalypse inventories when I've got time again.

NRN: For testing I also used the spitter. During tests it seemed that with unknown 62 set to 0 (and 63 to 1) the spitters only got the brainsucker launcher without the extra 2 pods that normally come with it. That's why I thought it might have something to do with equipment.

No idea about unknown 64.

Which unknown in the agent equipment section do you mean? Actually item health is already found, in the agent equipment 1 section, [Armor Rating].

Image definately is image :) I already succesfully altered the troops' images, and there's a bunch of unknowns nearby which are very similar to the image position fields in the vehicles section. It does also alter the equip pic yes. 0 is most likely a special value, in order to show the armor parts the unit has (X-Com). I don't know how the game exactly handles it, but giving it to units that don't belong to the player is quite likely to mess things up yes :)

Number 18 is missing because that one is actually the default Xcom unit graphic. Also note that the 'Corporate Boss' image number (21) will crash your game if you give it to other units. I suspect the corporate boss actually is the base security tower, though I haven't checked it yet.

Thx for your efforts NRN, keep up the good work =b

oh how silly of me :faint:

I thought I had put in the unknown number I was thinking of, which is Coincidentally 9.

About the Armour values on weapons, would it be possible that these add to the frontal protection of the agent?

Ive found tha if you give an agent a large rocketlauncher it tends to survive longer from marsec shots from the front, while the sides and back dont matter..

Strange I know, but could be possible and I think deserves more testing.

Sigh. what a load of wasted potential on this pre-released game ]:

OK I think I found the equipment set data. Each individual set has it's own 'score advancement tree', which has 8 levels. There is some data nearby which might be the exact score for each level, though it doesn't always seem te be correct. Untested.

edit: took a closer look at the possible score data, it seems to match out after all. There are 5 sets of score data, most likely one for each difficulty level!

level 1 level 2 level 3 level 4 level 5  level 6 level 7
Novice		  1000	2200	4000	7000	12000   22000   42000
Easy			1000	2200	4000	6900	11500   21000   39000
Medium		  1000	2200	4000	6800	11000   20000   36000
Hard			1000	2200	4000	6700	10500   19000   33000
Superhuman	  1000	2200	4000	6600	10000   18000   28000

Not too much difference except for lvl 7 on superhuman.

Edited by j'ordos

Great work J'ordos! :D

Progress=Lovely ^^

So I guess it wouldnt be possible to add and remove weapons from the alien teir's to place into other places? o:

Edit: Would it be possible to in the next release of Apoc'd to give out a ver with All of the unknowns included so that we may help you out with labelling things?

or do you still need a great deal more knowledge about things to do this? ^^;..

Edited by NRN_R_Sumo1

So I guess it wouldnt be possible to add and remove weapons from the alien teir's to place into other places?

Placement of the equipment is handled by the game, you can only define which weapon and how many ammo clips etc... So far it looks like dual wielding enemies is impossible :(

Edit: Would it be possible to in the next release of Apoc'd to give out a ver with All of the unknowns included so that we may help you out with labelling things?

or do you still need a great deal more knowledge about things to do this?

Apoc'd already lists all unknowns, unless you mean the entire exes? That would be quite pointless as I have no idea what length the variables would have and which part would be machine code and such. Best I could do is scan the files and look around for obvious data 'blocks' to include. (if that makes any sense) :)

edit: but in that case you're better of using a hex editor anyway :)

Edited by j'ordos

Actually if you use apoc'd to edit unknown items it's nothing more than a (limited) hex editor. Aside from the fact that apoc'd shows data in decimal format ofcourse :)

Also there already are plenty of unknowns in apoc'd ;) Unknown values in older sections are probably already tested and their effects are hard to spot, which is quite demoralising, but for example the buildings and savedgame->vehicles sections have plenty that I haven't tested yet, due to lack of interest/time :) Just don't give up too fast when there are no immediate effects noticeable.

For discovering new data I still recommend a hex editor, it's in fact not very hard to do, you just need some time to spend. :)

I made a 'roadmap' once, to keep track of which parts of UFO2P.EXE (english version) are known (numbers are decimal offsets):

http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=User:J%27ordos

The list also includes string sets.

On a more on-topic note: the apoc'd source code just exceeded the 200kb mark :wacko: Guess it's time for another code change.

Edited by j'ordos

You're in luck as apoc'd 2.32a is out, adding weapon sets, weapon set score requirements, relations (savedgames) and agents (savedgames) data. Agents data is completely unknown, so there are lots of opportunities for fiddling ;)

Relations isn't quite as user friendly as the midnight editor's relations editing, still need to figure out how it works exactly.

It seems the weapon set 1-5 fields in the unit stats section are disregarded for units that carry equipment. It is used for units with built-in weapons though. Alien units use weapon sets 1-10 and humans use 11-23 (I think). 24&25 aren't used as far as I know. I thought 25 might be the defense turrets' weapon set, but editing it didn't have any effect. I did confirm that the Corporate Boss unit type is the defense turret though.

You're in luck as apoc'd 2.32a is out, adding weapon sets, weapon set score requirements, relations (savedgames) and agents (savedgames) data. Agents data is completely unknown, so there are lots of opportunities for fiddling ;)
Especially since there is only one agent list for all of combat agents, engineers, quantum mechanics, and biochemists. How much work is it going to take to cross-train scientists for fighting?
Relations isn't quite as user friendly as the midnight editor's relations editing, still need to figure out how it works exactly.
I've had reasonable success predicting relations updates by treating the values as scaled floats, where 100 maps to 1 and -100 maps to -1.

taking a quick glance at the relations editing it seems fairly clear to me that The lower the number the friendlier they are to you, but it still doesnt seem to make much sense.

Perhaps it works like this.

1-100= highest being most allied

101-200 highest being most hostile towards,

201-250 neutral?

Ugh. I hope it doesnt work that way. it hurt my brainjust explaining it.

I think Ill stick to using midnight editor to edit my relations ;)

Edit: Was just playing with the vehicles and managed to get a stormdog to fly around, but it took on the skin of one of the Ufo-spud's.

Probably has to do with my unhealthy editing practices involving graphics getting mangled, but its alright.

How I managed this, Well, I havent really tried getting this to work with New storm dogs, just the starter one in a saved game, first you set it to flying (doing that alone doesnt work) then you need to go to the Elevation level.

Parked ground vehicles like the storm dog or a tank say 1.

All parked aircraft say Landed.

so I changed stormdog to landed and it floated away like an unanimated spud.

Im going to fiddle with this some more ^^

Edit2: Had nothing to do with my modding.

It would seem that for some reason being a flying vehicle confuses the poor little car into thinking it is

A )Sequential ship that doesnt animate

Or

B )a Directional ship that seems to use several ufo's and the ground police car to make up its graphical movements.

Edited by NRN_R_Sumo1

taking a quick glance at the relations editing it seems fairly clear to me that The lower the number the friendlier they are to you, but it still doesnt seem to make much sense.

Perhaps it works like this.

1-100= highest being most allied

101-200 highest being most hostile towards,

201-250 neutral?

Sorry, I was thinking ME display: -100 to 100. But...yes, the raw form is much less intuitive.

I suspect you're right that 0..100 is ME 0..100. (Must verify.) However, -100 ME is only 156. Then... -3 ME is 253. These are signed bytes, 101-155 should not occur in unhacked savegames.

Quick eyeball check of Agent info:

From Midnight Editor comparisons

* Unknown 10: Rank index

* Unknown 11: Role. Enumeration: 0 Agent, 1 Biochemist, 2 Engineer, 3 Quantum Physicist

* Unknown 14: days in service (may be low-byte of word including 15; need to verify signed vs unsigned)

* Unknown 16: kill count (may be low-byte of word including 17; need to verify signed vs unsigned)

* Unknown 18: mission count (may be low-byte of word including 19; need to verify signed vs unsigned)

* Unknown 21: medals index

The Stat Zone

* Unknown 22/34: starting/current max speed

* Unknown 23/35: starting/current max health

* Unknown 36: curr health

* Unknown 24/38: starting/current stamina, integer-divide by 2 to get screen display

* Unknown 25/39: starting/current reactions

* Unknown 26/40: starting/current Strength

* Unknown 27/41: starting/current Bravery/10

* Unknown 29/42: starting/current psi strength

* Unknown 30/43: starting/current psi defense

* Unknown 31/44: starting/current psi energy

* Unknown 49: Biochemistry skill

* Unknown 50: Quantum physics skill

* Unknown 51: Engineering skill

Accuracy is inobvious.

Gaps before the stat zone: 3-9, 20

Gaps in the stat zone: 28, 32, 33, 37.

Other gaps before inventory-related: 45-48, 52-53

I'd conjecture that inventory starts at 54.

Edited by zaimoni

Many thanks for your input, wouldn't have been able to figure it out without!

Did a quick update, hope the relations display is alright now. I also updated the cfg with your findings on the agents section. Didn't test them though.

NRN: perhaps with a combination of editing the default vehicles (cityscape editing) and savedgame vehicles you can achieve other results?

I was tweaking it and got it to use the Hovercar graphics instead.

I figured out what the huge issue was.

The storm dogs dont have the correct graphics to use, so the numbers the game is told to pick out are incorrect due to configurations of the graphics profile.

Air vehicles use a Differant set than the Ground Vehicles use, so when it is told to use the storm dog graphics, it has a set of numbers, but the numbers arent correct for use in the Air vehicle graphics.

Im kinda curious if Im explaining this very clearly or not ^^'....

Basically I need a way to Inject graphics into the game before I can fix this.

Edit2: Hmm. the storm dog add's a whole another useage level to the items of the game when its an aircraft xD!

Since it has one square weapon slot, it can make use of any small square weapon.

However its inventory is too small to support shields, so I think I might add in the Apc's and tanks as air

Edit3: The shadow's seem to cause a amount of Buggyness. D:<

the ground underneath just appears as destroyed is all. not a huge deal

But one thing you DONT want to do is change AIR Trans to be AUTO Trans.

For some reason they dont leave the respective bases and deliver anything you need. D:<

Even on ultra fast.

Edited by NRN_R_Sumo1

Many thanks for your input, wouldn't have been able to figure it out without!

Did a quick update, hope the relations display is alright now. I also updated the cfg with your findings on the agents section. Didn't test them though.

Relations display looks perfect now.

Proofreading:

* copy-paste issue on enumeration for role, need to verify who's right

* I didn't find starting or current accuracy. Regardless, your assignment does work -- as an Inaccuracy stat. 100-stated locations is indeed starting/current accuracy. Good find.

Edited by zaimoni

Androids are a seperate gender all together?..

Are you sure that 155 doesnt instead state Race?..

Human Mutant and Android? o.O

I was hoping to find the race information, but it didn't happen (no obvious bytes). Unknown 155 doesn't react to human vs hybrid, just male vs. female vs. android. The agonizing pedantry is as follows:

0-29: female human, 1

30-34: female hybrid, 1

35-64: male human, 0

65-69: male hybrid, 0

70-74: android, 2

Edited by zaimoni

Proofreading:

* copy-paste issue on enumeration for role, need to verify who's right

Whoops, my bad, made a mistake copying the role numbers.

Agent inventories are stored seperately IIRC, at unknown 54 only the agents' armor configuration can be found.

What race information were you hoping to find?

Edited by j'ordos

So 155 most likely control's pictures?
I should have been clearer: I was using 157's picture indexing to know what the gender/race combinations I was checking for were. 155 has gender information (male/female/android), but not clean race information (no distinction between human and hybrid).

I guess it's not there, as I don't think it's needed anymore after the starting stats are generated and the pic has been assigned :) (should check if setting the 'gender' to android makes brainsuckers stop attacking units, otherwise there might still be another one) Edited by j'ordos

Discovered a problem with the weapon sets used by gaurds (11-23/25), it simply doesn't add up. They're used by the game as when I removed the primary weapon from every set at every level all gaurds were unarmed, but the leveling isn't right. Perhaps they have fewer/more levels than the alien weapon sets? Anyone any idea?

I tested it, setting the gender to android stops brainsuckers from attacking your unit :) Didn't test the sounds though.

Also made an interesting discovery: weekly UFO growth numbers! No more wimpy alien fleets. :devillaugh: Also with a bit of luck perhaps the building defender numbers (cityscape) are nearby. For those interested: offset in ufo2p.exe is 1396772 (decimal, 2 byte variables) and 424970 in savedgame files (# of alien craft present in Alien Dimension). Also discovered starting known UFOPaedia entries, though less 'exciting'. :)

edit: no progress on the weapon sets tho.

edit2: seems there are 12 levels for the gaurds instead of 8. Score requirements for those must be somewhere else.

edit3: twelve levels doesn't match either :( I also discovered grenades and other equipment are distributed randomly amongst all weapon sets, not fixed as I originally thought. Makes testing more difficult.

Edited by j'ordos

• 2 weeks later...

OK I think I finally solved the riddle that was the guard weapon sets :) . Released a new version fixing it and adding UFO Growth Rates.

Human sets have three distinct levels (score requirements unknown), but each level also has 4 'classes' (-> a total of 12 levels).

Class A is used by the smaller, 'neutral' organisations - weak

Class B is used by the cultists and larger organisations such as General Metro, MarSec (IIRC), Nanotech, ... Haven't tested all of them yet.

Class C is used by police forces and government & Class D is used by the gangs AFAIK - strong

It seems there is a bug in the original datafiles as one of the sets had a plasma gun without any clips assigned to it. (weapons start unloaded by default so there always needs to be at least one if it's a weapon that uses clips)

edit: and happy new year :)

Edited by j'ordos

Reading some old posts about guards sometimes receiving equipment faster than the aliens and the old 'I did so many stun raids the aliens suddenly are using Dimension missiles' (but guards apparently still use human weapons) I realise guard set leveling isn't based on score but on the current week! (probably :) )

Does anyone know which weeks?

Edited by j'ordos

How are they divided up?

Im not sure I follow how they work, but do guards pick one of the random sets from the teir level, or do they pick depending on race or rank or some such nonsense?.. D:

if I do remember Correctly, week 4 is when I start seeing disruptors on enemy guards, but that May be wrong.

Ill have to look into this via Midnight Editor :3

Yay for date changers? ^^

Edited by NRN_R_Sumo1

Well if you look at the weapon sets section in apoc'd you'll see:

Level 1 (Alien)
Level 2 (Alien)
Level 3 (Alien)
Level 4 (Alien)
Level 5 (Alien)
Level 6 (Alien)
Level 7 (Alien)
Level 8 (Alien)
Level 1 (Human A)
Level 1 (Human B)
Level 1 (Human C)
Level 1 (Human D)
Level 2 (Human A)
Level 2 (Human B)
Level 2 (Human C)
Level 2 (Human D)
Level 3 (Human A)
Level 3 (Human B)
Level 3 (Human C)
Level 3 (Human D)

Alien levels are based on score.

Human level (1-3) are based on the current week. The letter that comes after 'Human' is the weapon set's 'class'. Every organisation has a weapon class assigned to it. The classes vary in strength, ranging from A (weakest) to D (strongest). For example, The level 3 class A set doesn't have any cloaking devices assigned to it, while all the other classes in that level do. Which weapon classes belongs to which organisations I don't know yet, though I posted a rough list a few posts earlier :) (it would've made more sense and reduced raiding efficiency a lot if the class assignment had been based on the organisation's current funds.)

Sorry if it's a bit confusing, been working on a manual but it's far from finished.

Alright, found the 'UFO mission' data! Finally I can make the aliens blow up the city from the very start (and with more UFO's) :devillaugh:

Strangely, though the amount and types of UFO's present in the Alien Dimension ARE being checked to determine an appropriate mission, those check numbers must be located somewhere else (didn't find any so far though). As long as there were 3 scouts and 2 probes present I could make it show up just about anything, from motherships to annihilators. (though it did choose another mission type when I tried to set the type to overspawn or a ground vehicle unfortunately). Edit: this test must have been done with an edited savedgame or something because it's NOT true! There's no seperate set of 'check numbers'.

Still no luck on finding the building defenders data.

edit: also found default base layouts

Edited by j'ordos

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice tool! :)

I have managed to increase road strength so I can use ground vehicles :)

I have added megaspawns to assault forces :devillaugh:

And other minor things...

But I cannot find UFOs in savegames in order to change its owner :(

(apoc'd ~v2.31b)

The UFO's are only 'created' once they actually enter our dimension (or when you enter the alien dimension) after which you should be able to edit them easily in the 'vehicles' section. Before that they only exist in the numbers you can see in the 'UFOs in alien dimension' section.

edit: UFOs in alien dimension section was added in version 2.33a.

edit2: discovered the building defenders (cityscape) data in the savedgames! Initial testing shows that even though there is a field for every vehicle type (even UFOs!) only flying vehicles scramble when attacked. Ground vehicles refuse to appear.

Edited by j'ordos

Apoc'd 2.34a is out : http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...t=0#entry153573

Adds Base layouts (with view function), UFO missions and organisation vehicles. I expanded the usage of the Mass edit command, it can now also be used as a 'fill' function, as requested by Sorrow :) (no import/exporting yet though).

Enjoy!

Loadouts already are present: 'UFO&alien building loadouts' section :) . UFO missions are the various, well, UFO missions. For example, 'Infiltration mission 19' is your typical begin game UFO incursion fleet consisting of three scouts which deposit troops and two probes to escort them. (Infiltration mission 20 is a rare weaker version of this mission: 2 scouts + 1 probe) Basically the game goes through the entire list from top to bottom and selects the first mission # it can perform given the current alien fleet size.

Im pretty sure thats what its for, but only one way to find out sorrow! :D

5 battleships gogogogoogoooooo

Edit: Wait this also means we could eliminate aliens from game completly. :O

Alien spawn infiltration rate set to 0%, ufo's set to none.. Le-Gasp.

Is it possible to make the aliens send in other vehicles instead of the normal ships of theirs as well?

Edited by NRN_R_Sumo1

UFO Fleets doesn't really do it justice IMO, as it's not just numbers, it's also what they do (drop overspawn, micronoid rain, attack building, drop troops or escort).

You are limited to three different ship types, but you can enter any amount of them you like (though I recommend keeping the amount of UFO's that drop troops below 4 as it'd be annoying to keep an eye on all of them (constant pause/unpause)).

While any amount is possible, the aliens do need enough UFOs to initiate the mission, so don't forget to increase the UFO growth rates!

It is possible to use any flying vehicle you want (you can even make them drop aliens) as I tested before, but I don't know if it might corrupt another part of your savegames. You see, there's a list of numbers that indicate the amount of UFOs present in the alien dimension (UFOs in alien dimension section in apoc'd :) ) which are checked to determine which mission is possible. I guess the game simply looks at the numbers following these when checking for other vehicles (simply following the vehicle order as can be seen in the vehicles section) while those numbers could in fact be something else like, for example, your base storages :) .

edit: yep, removing aliens from gameplay is possible now, though it already was when you could alter the UFO growth rates :) (well except for that small amount of aliens present in the city at the start of the game)

edit2: a note about the base layouts: while multiple access lifts work, the invading aliens only seemed to use one of them, not both. Only did one test though, might be mistaken.

edit3: also, NRN, I found some data which seems to control vehicle animations (directional/sequentional) somehow, though as of yet absolutely no idea how it works.

Edited by j'ordos