XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xenocide.0.2.0.1740

tonyt

I just had another thought.

Could someone do a couple of controlled experiments, running Xenocide when one of the requirements isn't present, and collect the error messages? Then we might be able to tell people what they've forgotten from their error.

Obvious tests to run:

• .Net framework 2.0 missing.
  • XNA missing. (but .Net 2.0 present)
  • DirectX 9.0c missing. (XNA and .Net present.)

i belive this same error might have been brought up but i'm quite sure i got all the needed stuff installed

theres the error msg and the folder can be seen too, might have messed up in there, also if theres any way i can check if i have the needed stuff installed that would be cool

thx for any help, from what i've been able to see the game looks amazing so far good work :)

OK, just for our records.

1. How could we make the dependencies more obvious? They are on the same web page as the download.

2. Did you manage to get it running in the end?

3. Did you figure out what was missing? My guess is wrong version of DirectX 9.0c, but it would be good to confirm, so that next time someone reports that exact error message, we can tell them exactly what's missing.

Thanks.

1. haveing them there is nice but sum do not know if they have em, guess u could just google em and try installing em all agin(like i did) but links are extra nice, saves any confusion about haveing the right one or not

2. yes gots it working

3. i belive in the end it was the directX but i did go through try the others befor so it could have been more then just directX

I just had another thought.

Could someone do a couple of controlled experiments, running Xenocide when one of the requirements isn't present, and collect the error messages? Then we might be able to tell people what they've forgotten from their error.

Obvious tests to run:

• .Net framework 2.0 missing.
  • XNA missing. (but .Net 2.0 present)
  • DirectX 9.0c missing. (XNA and .Net present.)

Not having .NET Framework will tell you... you don't have .NET Framework:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/supsuper/xeno_no_netfx.png

Not having XNA is a lot less friendly, it'll just crash and you'll either get an error message or an error report (depending on Windows version):

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/supsuper/xeno_no_xna.png

I couldn't get a DirectX related message.

• 2 weeks later...