XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Developers

PeterDragon

Thanks for your interest.

The project devolepment is somewhat slowed down now.

I (ssvb) am very busy at work now and this will last till the end of this year. The original author (sanami) does not work with ufo2000 sources anymore. There is only one active developer at this moment (lxnt) and he has recently released version 0.3.51 of ufo2000. This version introduces minor changes and implements proximity grenades and incendiary ammo. It can be taken at sourceforge.

PS.

As you played ufo2000 a lot, could you please tell if you had any problems with the game. And how do you usually play: hotseat, local network or internet?

Really... a new version. :)

Well, I play TCP/IP with people online here, since I have no real friends since they abondend me a year or so ago... but, yeah. My main problem I have is when ever I play online, somehow I get into sometype of circular loop where I can't exit. And since I can't hit the "x", I am forced to ctl-alt-del. I am running WinXp and I have direct X 8.0a.

Peter and I both probably play UFO 2000 as much as anyone else out there, and I've seen the same problem he mentioned on at least one other XP system and here on my computer (Windows 98). The problem I'm referring to is that the game sometimes halts completely (I've seen it happen at no specific time during the game), but most commonly this occurs at the very end of a game when one user exits the program, the remaining user usually seems to get locked up completely (I'll look into if it depends on whether or not it's the server disconnecting first or the client, I believe it happens when the server exits and the client is left hanging). Oh, and I've only played over TCP/IP... on a dialup here and no other computers in the apartment to use over a local network. (but I have played the hotseat too, just to screw around with stuff).

I'm excited to try the new version out, gonna have to wail on poor Peter with some Proximity grenades. ;)

I downloaded the source code for it, and I suppose I'll have to do the same for the new version now... besides trying to pass finals and stay afloat with the progress being made on the X-Com remake I haven't had much time to look into it too deeply yet, but I expect to take some time and go through it, maybe I'll give you guys a hand if I can find some time (and assuming you want any help, of course... don't want to step on any toes).

Some additions you guys might want to think about are:

* Music (either loading local mp3 playlists or having some kind music with the game itself).

* Better door code (I've noticed the only way to go through a door is to open it first, and I always forget this and my men take the long way around).

* Better message buffer (and screen refresh). The program isn't terribly windows friendly (mostly because Allegro isn't the most windows friendly thiing out there, but I use it myself because it's such a good set of libraries). If you adjust the screen size with the arrow keys during the game your message buffer disappears (I believe it gets cleared completely) and if you Alt-Tab back and forth to windows the buffer appears to be cleared, but a screen refresh with F4 brings it back (not nearly as annoying as it getting cleared completely when you change screen size).

* Possibly refresh the display a little more constantly (and completely)... if you Alt-Tab to windows while in any screen other than the unit placement or main game screen when you come back everything is gone, and generally none of it comes back again.

* More guns (the more the merrier, I know they will get added as newer versions are released).

Keep up the good work, UFO 2000 is a ton of fun and looks like it will get even better with newer releases!

Hello.

Thanks for the feedback.

You can get the latest source from the subversion

repository at http://lxnt.info:8888/svn/ufo2k/.

There is a GUI client named RapidSVN which you can use to fetch the source.

Intermediate Windows and Linux builds do appear in the http://lxnt.info/builds/

There is also developers' mailing list, [email protected]

Though most traffic there is in Russian, any questions in English will be answered.

Sourceforge forums are also monitored, but the reply latency is somewhat larger.

--

./lxnt