XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART-Artopod

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now THAT Sectopod REALLY looks dangerous. One comment though, those tubes connected to the plasma weapons look really vulnerable to me...

Is the sectopod equipped with only one plasma cannon or two?

If it has two guns, I'd suggest that you place the cannons beside the main body like the ED-209 in Robocop.

If there's only one, try mounting it higher and have the tubes connected nearer to the base of the gun as opposed to the back...

I was thinking it would only have one Plasma Cannon, but I don't know, should I make it two? If in the game it's only going to fire one shot at a time one is enough :huh:

The cockpit I made this way to look sleek, but I can try making it bulkier.

I placed the cannon further from the body to allow for more maneuverability, so it can aim up/down, independant from the body.

The tubes, well, the Plasma weapons are using them so I thought I'll have this one use those too, but I can 1) remove them alltogether, or 2) make them shorter, maybe go alongside the swivel (or what has to pass for that ^_^ ), or 3) say they're made from the same alien alloy and as heavily armored as the rest of the Sectopod

And Vaaish, I tried making those legs shorter, I really tried... but I can't :crying:

Besides, what does everyone have against them anyway :cussing: (aside from being impractical in buildings)

Edited by j'ordos

The fact that it can only fire one shot at a time didn't stop them from adding two guns to the original sectopod...

What I was thinking was that with two cannons set beside the main body like a zentradi officer's pod would look real scary. Especially when you consider that with the prongs, those cannons would look like real mean claws.

I can almost imagine how cool it would be, since the design makes me think that it'll be swift, fast and strikes like a praying mantis...

I still think that the legs and the body dont go together. They dont seem to come from the same plane of existence. Its like the body of one unit got put on the legs of another. Am I alone on this?

As for number of guns, i personally would go with one as I like the look of the underslung gun. The 'two guns one on each side' look is over used IMHO.

Guest Jim69
I agree with the guns, 1 is fine. However I think the legs look fine now, they were a little long but now are a good length. Sorta reminds me of an osterich, dunno why tho. One mean lookin osterich that is :LOL:

i have some sparetime, so i'll try to convert that sectopod, k?

should i go with jordos', or the other one?

Edited by mikker

I've redone it myself with some of the changes suggested here, but I can't really think of it as an improvement over the previous one, so Mikker, if you want you can go ahead. (If you like I can upload the .ai or .psd files, of any of those sectopods I have done up til now)

alternatesectopod.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

change the body back the the last version I think that you are overworking that portion especially with this last image. Make the legs a little beefier and I think we have a keeper.

Guest Jim69
I like the single, even if an akimbo system was brought in that would make the Sectopods too good IMO ( altho others may prefer the challenge :) )

Should I keep the single Plasma Cannon, or change to the two side-mounted cannons? I'd prefer the single underslung cannon, but if you guys like the twin cannons better... :sly:

go with the exact same upper body as the previous version underslung cannon and all. Just put on the legs from this version and maybe make them a bit wider.

Vaaishes version with SHORTER legs was what I ment.. Leg size is great in that. Please j'ordos stay with that ONE plasma cannon, that idea is great and one big cannon is much meaner than two smaller on the sides (two cannons on the sides are in every damn cartoons, movies and games o-v-e-r-d-o-s-e)

So basically, what you want is Vaaish's alteration redone ^_^

Well, as for the size, I'd say it can swing it's upper legs up- or downward. When in the downward position, it would be 2 metres tall (to fit through a door), and while it's legs are upward it would be 2,5-3 metres tall (so it has a better view of the surroundings), I'll draw them both today.

And I did these before I read Breunor's post, so here it is upright. I had this in mind for outdoors, and the lower position maybe for firing and indoors. It could walk in both postitions though. But maybe that's creating extra work where it isn't really needed, I just found 2m to be not that impressive ^_^

EDIT: Gee Miceless, do you ever stop complaining :D :wink: ?

finalsectopodhigh.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

Guest Jim69
Since scale issues r gonna be discussed when the model is built I don't think there is much point continuing 2 tweak this pic. The modeller will make it fit the 2.5m clearence so it's not a prob. Looks good at the mo I say, just upto someone to model it ( not me tho, looks a little complex 4 me 2 handle at the mo :o)

I like the idea of it standing up, but as Breunor says there are height limitations. If its possible to code it and stuff, maybe it could be made to only stand up when its outside and has the room?

And i still think the proportions are wrong...

And now that I look at it really close, i dont think that the legs are positioned right. Isnt one leg longer than the other? I need to look closer still...

Well, that was the intention: having it stand up only when it has enough clearance. About the difference in leg length: I only rotated them so that shouldn't be, but maybe I accidently moved one too :( It shouldn't be so, in any case.

And proportions: they are alien, they probably have entirely different thoughts about proportions, what looks right etc. Besides, it's a war machine, not a competitor in the miss universe contest :D

Edit: Mikker, I do have a side view (they're all ^_^ ), .ai or .psd or jpeg file, which one you want?

Edited by j'ordos

I think it looks fine now. IMO the legs are not out of proportion with the body since we want them to be as strong as possible. Pencil legs will get shot off too easily and then the uist is worthless. A smaller body makes for a smaller target and the thicker legs can take more punishment.

There might be some way around it, but I don't think it's possible to have it upright when there's room and squatting when there isn't. It would likely involve lots of coding, as well as some fancy animation routines. I think it would be a better use of resources to just make it knowing it's about 7 feet tall. ^_^ You can make it more massive/intimidating though by thickening up the legs or other areas however.

I don't think that would do much good now. I think it strikes the right balance between speed vs strength, IMHO. I was only thinking that 2 m isn't that high, as I originally conceived it to be 3 m at least :wacko: . But given the constrictions, I guess it'll have to make do ^_^

Since it's a robot made of light/strong alien alloys, making the limbs thicker doesn't necessarilly reduced its speed. It does look good though. Because it's a robot, it doesn't really need to have thick limbs for it to be powerful as well, so either way it's win-win.

here might be some way around it, but I don't think it's possible to have it upright when there's room and squatting when there isn't. It would likely involve lots of coding, as well as some fancy animation routines.

Well, if the alien AI has any code specific for indoors/outdoors activity doesn't the lowering/ricing problem get solved in that?

here might be some way around it, but I don't think it's possible to have it upright when there's room and squatting when there isn't. It would likely involve lots of coding, as well as some fancy animation routines.

Well, if the alien AI has any code specific for indoors/outdoors activity doesn't the lowering/ricing problem get solved in that?

If you can specify the character bones and make the rising animation, there is no problem.... More work though... In my opinion, this one is a keeper (we will have to ask art lead). Excelent Job guys...

Greetings

Red Knight

Edited by red knight

• 4 weeks later...
This thread will consist of other merged threads regarding the sectopod.

• 3 weeks later...

NOTICE!

As a general informal announcement, we're asking that the various concept threads for the aliens focus more on posting concepts right now, rather than requesting tweaks to other artist's concepts. Rather than taking each concept and tweaking it as it comes in, let's leave it up to the artist to present their idea, and if you'd prefer a change to it, either modify the posted image to show what you mean (and that becomes another concept), or PM the artist about getting the files if that would make it easier to do. Some threads have lots of posts with tiny tweaks to essentially the same concept pic, which makes the contect very cyclic.

Thanks!

Also, please read:

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums//index.php?s...?showtopic=2355

Well hey, maybe the copyright holders are all dead from old age, and we can just steal the design! :devillaugh: Instead of it having the arms for the weapons, maybe a gun is just mounted directly under the chin and follows the head movement. Instead of the dog shaped head, it could be more robotic, with a solid bar visor that goes across for a sensor array. Sort of a Robocop/Jordy Laforge from ST:TNG kind of visor?

I must say that I like j'ordos' current concept.

I definietly do not like the idea of making our robots like animals, that just seems cheesy to me.

Why have a head at all? Most human designed robots would have one, but who knows about alien ones?

Even cars contain animal references, especially aggressive sports cars. The posted example is an extreme example, but it's worth asking why it works as a design.

The wide shoulders and crouched low head are aggressive and intimidating. The sectopod -will- be perceived as having a face and body posture, just because of the shape it is. So we'd better make it a good one.

It doesn't have to be as obvious as the titan, just a nod towards having a scowling face and a strong physique, in the same way that a car does.

Even cars contain animal references, especially aggressive sports cars. The posted example is an extreme example, but it's worth asking why it works as a design.

The wide shoulders and crouched low head are aggressive and intimidating. The sectopod -will- be perceived as having a face and body posture, just because of the shape it is. So we'd better make it a good one.

It doesn't have to be as obvious as the titan, just a nod towards having a scowling face and a strong physique, in the same way that a car does.

That is true, I remember that if you look at a Honda the front is meant to look like a smilie face, with the ends of the grill facing upwards.

I don't personally see a problem with alien machinery appearing to have a face, since the style guide says that all alien tech is to have a curvatious design I would imagine that the curvers would be modelled on creatures. Doesn't mean it has to look like an Earth creature tho, it could appear to be a completly different alien but in robotic form. This could be achieved while staying close to the original design IMO.

Yeah, the organic feel could either be represented by the smooth lines or by something from the aliens' natural world. Maybe some kind of insect look. I figured a head would be more like a sensor array, and if it had multiple lenses it could look like spider eyes. Remember the Invid from the Robotech series? They had a bit of an insect look, matching their hive order. Here's an Invid Shock Trooper. A bit too much of a crab look for my taste, but the head design could be modified to have more of those sensor nodes and give it a very animalistic look without having a seperate head at all. Work permitting I'll try to draw a concept.

invidstrp.jpeg

Here's a concept based some on the previous ideas. It could have part of the heavy plasma gun mounted in there, or perhaps the version used on the aircraft since it's supposed to be a very powerful weapon according to the ufopedia. It would have the irridecent sheen to it, the faceted dome on top is for the psi control. I'm not much of an artist, so I didn't try to make the main body too fancy.

Edit: All of those sensors would be shiny spheres bulging out of the hull, maybe sticking halfway out.

sectopod.jpg

Edited by Breunor