XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo: Defense/enemy Unknown Remake Petition

dolny

Hey guys, after reading this interview:

"GameSpy: What about the future? I heard you tell the crowd you were excited about your deal with Infogrames and having access to all the Microprose legacy titles. Including your own stuff…

Sid Meier: Yes, we're looking at some of the older games and seeing what might look good.

GameSpy: Would that include your old stuff? Like Pirates, F-15 Strike Eagle, Gunship…

Sid Meier: … Silent Service, Red Storm Rising, Covert Ops. And we're looking at the other games as well.

GameSpy: Like Master of Magic and X-Com?

Sid Meier: Yes.

GameSpy: You realize Usenet is going to go nuts over that answer.

Sid Meier: We're not going to announce our next game until October or so."

i thought about writing and signing a petition for a UFO: Enemy Unknown remake... what do you think about it?

I think it's useless for us. I mean if you're going to do then I'll sure sign it, but... Game to make profit needs much of ppl to buy it. Much more than you can gather... Still I think you can try.

So, what would you like to see in a remake?

I think a stageable weapon/ craft construction would be excellent (You work with weapon designs to get what you like). A few new weapon types would be nice. Also, a Training facility would ROCK!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Probably not, considering that he didn't have anything to do with making any xcoms, ever, and that his company doesn't have any kind of rights to the game...

He has said he is remaking Pirates, and that he would like to remake colonization in the future (which I think is a great idea :)

Guest Jim69
I played it once yeah, but 4 some reason I didn't like it. Sid's best game was Alpha Centuri, I've always thought that kicked the arse out of every Civ game, despite their simularities, just IMO of cause.

eh, what's the differense to civilization? :huh:

X-Com won't get another sequal anymore except xenocide.. Xenocide will also be long and hard project wich needs A LOT of patience and hard work to be finished. Let's just all pray that our dear project members, programmers, whatever will be with us 'til the day of glory when the first v1.0 is ready for distritubing. It's just scary to see some hardcore fans like gangsta to drop out unexpectedly (for me at least). So best wishes to xenocide project, I'm starting to learn programming a little bit so I think I'll be a bit help someday too.

Guest Jim69

( I assume that u r referrin to AC ) I liked the communication a lot better, the research was better, I just found it far more fun than any of the Civ games.

BTW, what happened 2 Gangsta then? He was everywhere when I first joined now he nowhere. Work commintments or summint?

Edit: Same with me on the programming front, I was gonna help now but looking at the code it is way too advanced 4 me 2 be anything more than a nuisance. I will learn soon, it's just kinda hard at the mo, luckly my work are sending me on a programming course this year sometime, maybe it will help.

Edited by Jim69

Just think, if everybody who likes Xenocide but doesn't have coding experience were to start learning it in their spare time, they would know it as it approaches completion. If earlier members had left these new coders could step up and continue the work, or start working on the mods if everyone is still around.

Xenocide:TNG! :D

Probably not, considering that he didn't have anything to do with making any xcoms, ever, and that his company doesn't have any kind of rights to the game...

Hmm, then we could make a petition for him to buy the rights? Just and idea...

Guest Jim69
Hold on a minute, Atari own the rights yeah? Hmmm...I wonder if WE could buy the rights, u know, ask em if they are ever gonna use the X-Com copyright ever, and if they not interested maybe they would release the copyright. Not likely, but stranger things have happened. Chelsea FC was brought for £1 and sold 2 a dodgy Russian mafioso this year 4 £150m+.

Guest Jim69
:o I wish I was the one who bought Chelsea FC for £1 :D

Yeah, I have no idea how Master Bates managed to haggle 4 a quid, it was about 15 years ago. And he was still a tight arse with the cash :) Now they have just got one of Russia's biggest mafia heads pumping him dirty money into the game. Great.

NE way, the chances of Atari, or any game company, even replying 2 ne thing we send em is about the same chance that Spurs have of doing the Double :LOL: They wouldn't care if we got 20,000 peeps 2 sign a petition, if they thought they could make millions and millions then they'd be fine, but I can't c ne1 taking on a turn-based game apart from Sid, and as Breu said he would prob only remake his own games.

but I can't c ne1 taking on a turn-based game apart from Sid

Strange, I see that kind of people all the time, and on this very site... :LOL:

Remember, we are making a game(well some of us), even though it is non-profit...

Guest Jim69
I meant remaking 1, without a doubt he is the King of turn based games IMO, and it's not coz he is the only 1 who can make a good 1. There are others, in fact there are quite a few, but 4 a classic like this it would need someone who could do it justice. I doubt many developers would want that on their sholders, judging by the follow ups to UFO which with the exception of TFTD could not hold a candle 2 it.

Well, IMO, Apoc allmost could. Had some great ideas in it, but then again so did MoO 3... *sniff* Poor MoO...

Still Xenocide gives us plenty of hope, for the revival of X-Com and also to the redemption of MoO(not in Xenocide though, but in GPL games in general)...

Guest Jim69
Well, IMO, Apoc allmost could. Had some great ideas in it, but then again so did MoO 3... *sniff* Poor MoO...

Still Xenocide gives us plenty of hope, for the revival of X-Com and also to the redemption of MoO(not in Xenocide though, but in GPL games in general)...

Absolutly, we've got a couple of advantages of mainstream producers, in that the only timelimits we have are ones we set ourselves. That don't mean we slack it just means nothings gonna be rushed out the door 2 please ne publishers. I dunno bout the revival of X-Com, it's a possibility, but I wouldn't bet on it. As 4 Apoc, ur right, it has many great idea's. However I feel that it didn't know what it wanted 2 b, it didn't have the tactical depth 2 play it in Turn Based mode ( especially the level design ) and it wasn't thought out very well 4 Real Time. So it suffered badly. I still think it is a good game, it has kept me entertained over the last 4 or so years I have had it on and off, I just prefer UFO by a mile. Then TFTD was basically just the same game as UFO IMO just a lot harder. 4 everything in TFTD there was an equivelent in UFO, at least unit wise.

Then TFTD was basically just the same game as UFO IMO just a lot harder.

Indeed, TFTD was just a expancion of UFO and a poor one at that...

I dunno bout the revival of X-Com

What I meant was, that in a way, Xenocide is the revival of X-Com, or atleast the next best thing. However, I feel that Xenocide will - 'cause I dowd that we will stand for a bad game - will be equal to X-Com and then, it will go beyond...

• 5 weeks later...

Who said you that Xenocide project has stopped? :blink:

It is alive and kicking! :D

Maybe not enough kicks to shake the ground, but enough to move forward constantly. There are few dozens of coders, artists and writers contributing daily. I suggest you to read forums related to Xenocide, that would help you to see what is going on.

:huh?: Just wondering why the Xenocide project has stopped? How may people were working on this project? The game looked good from what i have seen. It started ( AFAIK ) nearly a year ago but a lot of that was planning. AFAIK main work started in Jan of this year ( I could be wrong, I didn't join until May ).

Heh, it probably seems that it has stopped coz there a lots of peeps on holiday and just getting back 2 school/college etc. I think so they haven't as much time 2 work on it. Everyone does it in what time they can spare and all base it around real life so work was always gonna be slow. A lot of work has been done, I've leafed thru the code a little while back and there is quite a bit written, but AFAIK the code is still in the planning stage.

I'm not sure this is totally the right place 2 put this, but would it be helpful 2 get more of the UI screens in the Geoscape finished? It seems 2 me that if everyone chipped in and got the main screens finished ( tho a lot of em are already done ) this would give the programmers with less experience something 2 do, in that they could be linking the buttons from different screens so they click and that even if they have not got a use yet, much like is shown in the current alpha for the Geoscape.