XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SND - Planetview/Baseview/X-Net

Mr_S

It's been 2 weeks. I'm very busy arranging my new appartment and I was curious how you guys were doing. Mr_S, any updates yet?

btw, something had to be added to the list of points we have to pay attention to:

* when adding something to a track, make 2 versions when exporting it. 1 full version with both tracks mixed and 1 separate version of your addon only. This way, it's easy to update and to keep track. For example, if you're altering your composition, but you need to hear the mixdown of the person who's cooperation with it, it's just a separate audio track in your sequencer.

Shortly said, share a 128kbit mp3 mixdown track of your personal composition without the rest of the full track.

cya later,

Thomas

Hello guys

I've also been very busy these last weeks. I'm leaving tomorrow for holidays for 1 week, so It will delay a little bit the work....

Anyway, I've done nothing more on the Planet View track. I think I've put the first brick and you guys have begun to built the rest of the wall. The cooperation is still open.

But I'd like to start on another track, like "interceptor battle" for example. I think my composition time on the planet view track is over. Let's the cooperation go on !!! =b

You agree, Atex ?

Not to make things difficult, but I prefer to have something finished before starting something else. It's not healthy to leave something open. I've encountered many problems with it several times in the past.

The plan is simple: finish the track, then move on. The planetview track is not quite finished yet. We have something good going on. It only needs to be completed.

After that, the "interceptor battle" track is all yours.

cya later,

Thomas

ok

In particular, when you say "finish the track", do you want me to include your additional orchestration ? I like them a lot !

Or do we keep as we did till now ? I mean : my track as a basis, and we add successively the ideas brought ? And finally, of course, the mixing & mastering guy will have the job to make all that homogenous and nice to sound !! :)

well, cooperating implicits you work on your part only, with the auditive aid of the parts created by other people. You have your score, and parallel with that you run the mixdowns of the other cooperators. When you finish your touch up, you create 2 versions: 1 without the other mixdowns (yours only) and 1 with all the rest to make it publicly available.

I think the orchestration isn't that bad until now. It might need a little touch up as well. But first the track needs some more length, especially since the planetscape is a place in the game people will spend much time in. 10 minutes would be ideal. Besides that, the track needs other rythmic parts, Crispy would do that job quite well I think.

Shortly, I suggest you add more composition at the current end of the track. That's the most important thing to do now. After that I'll see what I can do in order to add some orchestration to the part you added.

cya later,

Thomas

ok

I'll do that next week, as this week, I won't be available.

This will let me enough time to think how to continue the track...

P.S. : Atex, can you send me a MIDI file with your orchestration if you can ? It will be faster for me to include that... Thanks !

hmm, MIDI won't do really, as the controllers won't work right because they are only meant for the EWQLSO Gold library.

In order to have the right impression while composing, audio mixdowns remain best as they are the most correct representation of what someone else has made. a 128 kbit mp3 is easy to share and easy to integrate (AFAIK) In cubase you just import it and there you go.

What problem have you got with implementing an mp3?

cheers,

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Just letting you guys know I'm alive. I've been down with a flu for some time now, plus there is increasing stress from school. Additionally I'm working on my first vocal mix, which I've never done before and it isn't at all as easy as you'd think it would be (especially if you're trying to come up with your own lyrics and you suck at writing them...).

Also, I'm waiting for Mr_S to wrap up the planetview track as I'd be much interested in resuming my own aspirations regarding that.

As for the rhythmic part - sure, any time.

If there's a fire (to whatever end), PM'ing me would be the best means of contact. For now, I'm going back to sleep - fever's really not my thing :(

Cheers

Nice to hear from you Crispy. We'll be starting with parallel composition soon. This means we'll be able to work on several tracks at the same time so that 1 person won't hold up the development process. Meanwhile, we'll be waiting for Mr_S to finish the base.

Good luck with your work for school. I hope to see you healthy and sound on PX soon again!

cheers,

Thomas

P.S. I'm very curious about your first vocal mix!

That's good to hear! (about the multiple simultaneous track approach - when's it taking effect?)

I'm not off PX - it's just that I don't really have my work cut out for me so I don't have massive amounts of time to spend on the fun stuff right now :(. And thanks - I'm feeling better already!

As for the vocal mix - what precisely are you curious about? :)

All I can tell you at this stage is that it's a progressive house (well, for the most part) track, which is currently waiting for an ending in an instrumental form. After that, I'll have it listened to by a couple of more serious people in the industry, after which I'll start working on the vocal part. Unofficial deadline: end of spring term.

Cheers,

Crispy

I'm curious about the whole track as it's great to hear people are extending their limits.

Normally, we would have started simultaneous development after having finished the planetscape track. Now that it seems to take longer than expected, we better start asap. Let me know if you're interested in starting a base for a specific track.

cheers,

Thomas

Hello guys !

I'm back ! Well, after such a long time, I just come back to the internet life. I had problems with my computer (which are not solved yet), upon what the dust from big works in my flat go into the computer making a strong and strange smell when switching it on. After having clean it slowly and carefully, I'm going to change my RAM, because I have only 256 Mo left, which is not enough to work with XP, and of course not enough to work with any music software. I'm really sorry for the delay I induce to the team. I do not forget you !!!!!!!! I try to do my best to solve all of that !

Victory, my computer's problems are solved ! I managed yesterday evening to work again on the planet view track and to go further. We were at 6 minutes and 11 secondes. I have to go to about 10 minutes so It will take a certain time to fill the 4 minutes left.... But I will submit you soon a track with my new stuffs.

Here it is guys.

I've gone to 8:30 approximatively. I'll try to reach the famous 10 minutes...

I've included some ideas from Atex, and I hope the last part of the track will enjoy you (from 6:10 till the end) !

Planet view v3.0

Wow! I really love what you've been doing! There are some surprise elements in the new part, they fit very well. It's great. Believe me, I really would like to give you some constructive criticism, but I just think it's really really good. :)

Guest Azrael

=b =b =b =b =b that tune is AWESOME! As far as I'm concerned, we have our planetview song ;)

Btw, I'm really tempted to mod Aftershock and add this song as main geosphere music...

Great work!

Thanks, I will wait for others criticismes like this from the others guys..... :D

I though the new part at the end had too much "color", but if that did not disturb you too much, that's fine, that means the atmosphere is not too different compared with the beginning...

"to mod aftershock" ? what does it mean ?

=b =b =b =b =b that tune is AWESOME! As far as I'm concerned, we have our planetview song ;)

Btw, I'm really tempted to mod Aftershock and add this song as main geosphere music...

Great work!

Guest Azrael
"to mod aftershock" ? what does it mean ?

Great work!

UFO: Aftershock, sequel to UFO: Aftermath, X-Comish game, it's easy to mod and change tunes, etc :)

Btw, I don't know who's in charge now that ATeX is gone, but I'd say this one is complete (was it supposed to be loopable?)

Edited by Azrael

Atex is gone ?

When will he come back ?

This track was not to be loopable. It was to be between 5 and 10 minutes long.

I will take a look in the excel file "Xenocide SND progress", when I will manage to find it again !!! :P

Any other comments ? for me to make the track better...

Don't hesitate guys, download it and listen in the subway or the bus, that's relaxing :D

Will try if I can download it :( ... send it by mail at my projectxenocide.com account. user: redknight

With this online storage service he uses you have to use IE to access the site, 'cause it uses ActiveX... :-/

• 1 month later...

I'm alive, yay!

Sorry guys for being away for so long - had a term project to finish. I'm back for a week before I'll be gone for another 1-3 weeks (depends on the number of projects I'll have to tackle).

Anyway - since I haven't really been able to contribute much thus far, here's something for your listening pleasure. It's a remix of the original geoscape theme I started working on more than a month and a half ago now. I do realize that it isn't strictly Xenocide material - that's why I'm asking you to keep an open mind and consider its adverse impact with relation to the rest of the soundtrack thus far as a positive thing. Then again, it won't probably be a backbreaker to turn this into an ambient mix.

Aesthetic is my artist name, FYI.

And now the clickerson: http://web.starman.ee/crispy/aesthetic%20-...sive%20mix).mp3

notes:

1. I deliberately held back on the bass

2. the track is loopable

3. it can't be used outside of Xenocide (this is a personal policy since I've already met some less kind folks in my life)

4. I was going for "deep vs ambient"

5. enjoy. so there :)

Guest Azrael

I'm simply in love. Who's in charge of sound now? I think we should call this one done and get moving to something else! Excellent job =b

edit: now that I've listened to it, I LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE it! OMG

edit2: except that, it's VERY different from the version Mr_S posted, which was also very much terrific, are we going to scrap that one? I loved that one too, and to be honest, I feel it's best suited for Xenocide, this is, IMO, too fast paced for planetscape, Mr.S's version was perfect.

Edited by Azrael

I don't know who's in charge of sound now, but based on what I understood when Atex was around:

1) there can be several tracks for any given sequence in the game (especially planetscape)

2) yes, this IS unsuitable in its current form (which is why I'm most likely going to edit into an ambient mix with no or close to no percussive elements) - however, there's the thing called "author's choice" :), which is why I went for a d&b mix first

3) I don't think we should scrap anything without at least trying to make them match - we should definitely NOT scrap Mr_S' track

The bottom line is, I like toying with an idea and this is just another case of me doing so. In other words, give me time and I'll get back to you :).

3. it can't be used outside of Xenocide (this is a personal policy since I've already met some less kind folks in my life)

Dont worry the creative commons license we are using now, has been used exactly for that reason ;) .. Basicly you are licensing your stuff for us to use it (both original and derivative work) under the Xenocide Brand only. :)

Will listen it carefully when I am back from business travel on weekend (Do not have a good headset in here for details).

Greetings

Red Knight

• 2 weeks later...

Hello !

I'm back with a slightly modified version of the Planet view track. Very few things modified, just small things to make the track a little better...

You can download it here.

Be free on your comments guys.

Can someone tell me where we are in the searching for a new sound dpt. head ?

I listened to it and there are a few things I'd like to say:

1) at around 2 minutes I can barely hear something really awesome - a facture of some sort that could be an accidental byproduct of the mix, or it could be intentional (I think it's the latter). In either case I want to hear more of it. It sounds like a slow slightly detuned randomized arpeggio buried in the other sounds.

2) have you considered doing something about the reverb - it's too metallic and in my opinion too self-sustaining (which means that it sticks out of the mix too harshly)?

3) making use of nature sounds - have you cosidered toning these down a little to make them "shine through", but not take the center stage when they appear?

4) personally speaking, I want to hear sounds below 50 Hz (especially starting from ~4:20). Your mix has none. The file seems to be encoded at ~123 kbps - I really don't know if it's the wma compression that's to be blamed, or your mix. Experience has shown me that mp3 far surpasses wma in most cases - you could try switching.

Get Gogo-no-coda fow Windows here: http://www.clubic.com/lancer-le-telecharge...da-windows.html

(wait for the page to load)

Don't be intimidated by the semi-Chinese interface - this is probably the best GUI-based mp3 encoder out there (it quite effectively encodes a 6-minute wav to mp3 in 4-8 seconds).

5) delay != ambient. I'd tone it down a little - maybe shorten the feedback loop or make subsequent bounces quieter

6) thumbs-up on your use of headspace

7) I think your mix is great

Cheers,

Crispy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've just uploaded both source files and renders of the versions of Mr_S's Planetview - I'd like to replace the version currently in the FMOD build with version 3.1, which can be found here.

So, I'm requesting two types of feedback:

Are there any objections to using this version of the Planetview? If not, I'll put it in the build. Meanwhile, Mr_S has starting on some Interception music.

Also, for those who have been involved in discussion about how to store audio source, here's an example of Kelargo's plan in action. I think it looks good. Anyone have comments?

Also, for those who have been involved in discussion about how to store audio source, here's an example of Kelargo's plan in action. I think it looks good. Anyone have comments?

what plan ? you mean the way to organize the directories, etc... ?

Otherwise, I have no objection to use this track of mine.... :D

what plan ? you mean the way to organize the directories, etc... ?

Sorry I'm so slow - yeah, I was talking about the directory structure.

Last call for objections to using this track. If there are none in three days, it goes in the build.

Edited by LfO