XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SND - COMPLETED MUSIC - First Orchestral! :d

ATeX

Hi!

And here it is!! :D My first contribution to the Xenocide Project. I couldn't wait any longer. And due to the upcoming college exams I need to be able to concentrate, so I just handled the thing first ^_^. It's the "Guitar Xenocide1" song from Whitewashed with a big orchestration added. All the samples that were used are high quality. As the matter affect, it's just a first try, so don't look at the details.

I also enhanced the sound of Whitewashed's song. But there's still a lot of work on the whole thing. If u have any comments, pls msg me :wink:

[url="http://static.zed.cbc.ca/users/a/ATeX/files/Whitewashed_and_ATeX_-_Guitar_Xenocide_1_orchestral.mp3"]Whitewashed_and_ATeX_-_Guitar_Xenocide_1_orchestral.mp3[/url]

I'm at a internet café so I can't listen to it very loud but it sure sounds great! :happybanana:

Actually it brings back good memorys about metallicas cooperation with orchestra.. I liked that a lot and this definitely reminds me about it..

That is a really, really good mix.

The only thing I would suggest now is finding some more realistic drum samples. They sound very, very mechanical. And mix the guitar portion a little louder. It's drowned out by the orchestra in a lot of places.

I was thinking about Metallica as well. :D The 3 beat step down of the drums (whatever you'd call that) seemed a little overwhelmed by the rest, I thought if you used a timpani instead just for those beats it might fit better.

I know, I know ^_^ I'm also not completely satisfied with the voicings on it. But, "what the heck", I tought, it's just a tryout. Future versions will sound much better :wink:

I also got a very very big problem right now. My boot sector has been damaged. So my pc doesn't work anymore for the moment. I'm getting my HD shipped to Maxtor right now. So that'll take a while I think :unsure:
I still got another one (the same), but there isn't enough room left on that one to use the orchestral samples (all the samples togheter are about 60Gigs :s and the HD is only 80) So.... we'll see when they get me a new one... :rolleyes:

Hopefully we'll be back on track as soon as possible

(damn Maxtor :cussing: :LOL: )

happy newyear all!!! :party:

In the future check out bootdisk.com for utilities to repair the MBR, anything on that drive you sent in is gone IMO, they typically wipe the drive and if scandisk doesn't show a problem, they send it back. If you got a warranty that includes copying your data to the new drive, I'm shocked. Good luck, happy new year!

Hey, I'm back now. I noticed that I have some strange tuning on my guitar and it sounds slightly out off tune with the orchestration. :(

If you send me some better drum samples I can replace these ones with them quite easily. I use Fruity Loops to track the drums. The samples I used should be good quality as they're taken off studio recordings but if you have something better, send it my way :wink: If it's possible to make better sounding drums on the computer I'd really want to learn.

I don't really like the background souds that start at 1:07 and end at 1:19 that just go from low to high. Maybe we could drop them or change them? Otherwise I'd suggest maybe simplifying the orchestral parts at some parts and mix the guitar a little louder as said earlier. Do you need me to re-record the guitar parts with a better tuning?

I could put the drum track and guitar tracks in 2 separate files so it's easier for you to mix the volumes as you want. Maybe I should separate the rhythm and lead guitars as well?

So is there any suggestions where in the game this song would fit? Someone mentioned Cydonia? :)

Hmm, you know, I'm not satisfied at all with this song because I don't think it would fit in somewhere, even if we would work very hard on it. My voicings weren't that great, I know. I was just putting an orchestration on it with the first ideas that came to me. Nothing special, just a first try. ^_^

Also, we've got plenty of time. The game won't be finished in a year. I'm very shure of that. I'm also searching for good ideas. Maybe it is best that the leaders of the music department tell us what we should make. Or better said, wherefor. Then we could make it fit in. Now we're only shooting in the dark and it might be that all work will be lost like that. <_<

It's better to have a good basic view to start from :wink: Edited by ATeX

[quote name='ATeX' date='Jan 6 2004, 08:09 PM']Hmm, you know, I'm not satisfied at all with this song because I don't think it would fit in somewhere, even if we would work very hard on it.[/quote]
It's a bummer if there's no use for this song because with some more work I think it would be really great. I really hope my second song could be used at the ground battle victory scene. Have you got any ideas how to imrove it?

Ah, if just the music department would get their asses back here so we could get some decisions made.

I'm up to working on assignments as well but I think we could make this tune to fit in somewhere with some work if we just got it decided where to.

About your cooperation. yes it is out of tune sometimes, but with work i think it will come fine song to entering cydonia scene. Just remeber that it should be quite short and it should loop.

About Whitewashed song number 2. I dont think that it would fit to victory song. It should be more uplifting. Now its more like entering mission.

[quote name='Raven Squad' date='Jan 7 2004, 07:11 AM']About your cooperation. yes it is out of tune sometimes, but with work i think it will come fine song to entering cydonia scene. Just remeber that it should be quite short and it should loop.[/quote]
So if we shorten it a bit and add some spooky effects to get the right mood of entering an alien home base it would work?

[quote]About Whitewashed song number 2. I dont think that it would fit to victory song. It should be more uplifting. Now its more like entering mission.[/quote]
If it's more suitable for the entering mission screen it's fine too. Is the assignment still open?

EDIT: Do you think the longer or shorter version is more suitable? Edited by Whitewashed

Have you got any suggestions on where to shorten down this song and how short should it be? I really don't think we can get it much under 1:45 long.

The last 2 seconds have to be cut off to make it loopable. The orchestral finale should have to come a little earlier too then.

One option would be to cut half of the long riffs so that the fast part would start earlier, but that would take away little of the feeling of it brewing up I think.

Then we could also skip the last repeat of the intro riffs at the end and put the choir in the beginning, that way the orchestra would die off when the song starts over with only the choir backing the guitar at first. This could work pretty well.

ATeX: I think you did a great job although it was just a fast sample. The horns are perfect IMO, only the violins need a little more work but the idea is great. You're clearly very talented. :)

You don't happen to have any high quality choir samples we could use as well? Edited by Whitewashed

Well, if they're going to use it, then why not work on it. I only tought it was just way off track to fit in. I can easily modify everything. But not now, my harddisk is broken. I've got bad clusters, on a brand new Maxtor :s which is now being shipped because of the production fault. We'll see when I get a new one. But because it has to be shipped to Ireland (and I'm from Belgium) it could take a while. We'll see... <_<

I'm going to post a link to a battlescape demo song after it has uploaded on the ZED website. Just for listening how I think battlescape should sound. :wink:

Why on earth has it been shipped to Ireland? Can't the Belgian importer send you a new one? Isn't he responsible for that?

Normally yes, but it has been bought on an exchange market (or how is it called?) so I haven't got the warranty. But there's still waranty on the drive from Maxtor themselves. That's why I have to ship it over there. Really too bad ^_^

No opinions on how it should be shortened and how much? I could re-record my parts while ATeX waits for his harddrive. Do you have your HQ drumsamples available?

We need to see the cydonia landing demo before we know the length of it. PM deimos to find out the length, he's doing the demo..

Nyperoid is right. We need to know the length first. Then we can adjust just as much as we want to. I think there's still a Lot of work in that song. Don't underestimate it. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to finalizing stuff :Blush:

The case of the drumsamples: yes, I've got a lot of them. I think the best thing to do is just to send over the guitar part because I need to let the drums interact with the orchestral percussion. Otherwise, I'm afraid it would become a mess.

Alright, once we've decided on the length I'll record the guitar parts and send to you. Maybe you could then try fitting in some spooky effects at some parts like in the battlescape track and maybe make the orchestral a bit simpler at those parts to make room for the effects? I agree that there's a lot of work to be done for the song to fit.

Could you possibly send me the drum samples anyway? I really wouldn't mind getting bettern quality drum samples to use for my other recordings :wink:
Especially cymbals and dampened cymbals if you have any... I tried to simulate a dampened cymbal by editing a cymbal sound by cutting it off and adding a bit of echo, it sounded like crap. :(

So did I get it right that the music will play during some landing cutscene? Then it might be harder to make it fit the video, but we can try. I don't mind doing this even if we later would decide to do something from scratch, it's fun :)

hehe :) I'll see what I can get for u, because it's really a mess. There's a lot of really good samples in Reason Refills, so in that case I'll need to record them all separately, damn hard job. Other samples are for example in VST instruments, same story :) That'll be for later on this year.

Besides all the technical stuff, I was thinking. Maybe it's easier to wait for the final movie, so u could for example make a climax in your song which is perfectly timed with what u see. Otherwise u'll get a weird effect. The picture won't correspond to what u hear. Could also become very funny :D

I guess I'll just have to wait for the final movie before I do anything then. Man, it's hard to wait ;)

The delays sound like a real pain. I haven't noticed any problems with my Audigy2 but then again I don't even use VST, Reason and whatever all you do.

Hey, while we wait for the Cydonia cutscene we could work on my second song for the entering mission screen. Surely there won't be a cutscene there?

maybe yes, I can do almost everything but the orchestra. So no fancy sounding horns :D But stuff like that Ufo Defense Remake won't be a problem. I could even import ur song into Reason and do some experimenting with it. But it would make it all very technically sounding. That's the bad part about it, if u don't like that stuff. I'll try something next week when I got some time :wink:

In case this song will be used for Cydonia I think we could name it "Red Sands" or "Sands of Red", what do you think?

If you want to see a bit what it will look like, here are the videos.. Download, unzip and play in video player.. Watching the videos can help you get the feeling to compose some great music. See that it's fast action and camera is moving fast too so I think that song has to be good and fast action pop :)

[url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2661&st=0"]http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2661&st=0[/url]

great stuff!

(/me adds to sven Co-op ingame mp3 player)

i agree with robo. "Off to Cydonia we go!" sounds like a great title for the song. Edited by mikker

Is the entering Cydonia video going to be only 13 seconds long?

Apparently, Deimos is working very hard on it, or something like that. Anyway, it's going to take very long to finish it, like they say in the topic.

I don't think it'll take only 13 seconds no, LOL :D That'ld be a bit stupid. As far as I know, Deimos is making cutscenes. Maybe he'll paste them all togheter after finishing the whole thing. I don't know really, but I think a movie like that will normally take about 1 to 2 minutes.

Sounds good! The only thing I'm missing is... well, some more "power", heh. I can't really explain what I mean, but I [i]think[/i] it needs some more bass. Perhaps the guitars are more guilty of this than the orchestration...

A little more oomph to it and I'd adore it 100% instead of 99%. :)

OMG this game will be a huge backage with all the videos and songs and stuff. :o Games that are sold in cd's are filled with 1-2min videos but this game should be distributed via internet so I think the size will become a problem when it's finished. Edited by Nyyperoid

[quote name='Nyyperoid' date='Jan 13 2004, 02:33 PM']OMG this game will be a huge backage with all the videos and songs and stuff.  :o Games that are sold in cd's are filled with 1-2min videos but this game should be distributed via internet so I think the size will become a problem when it's finished.[/quote]
Only for modem users :P

True, it will become a problem for modem users, but that will not hold us back. There are ways, and plans are in the works, to solve the bandwidth problem as well as burning and shipping CDs of the game directly to the modem users for a trivial price.

Damn, burning cd's and shipping them around the world without any benefit will be a sucky job.

Yes, I will fix the tuning but right now I don't see any use to work on it as the scene it's going for is not ready yet and it will need some changes to fit it better.