XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Q: Are there copyright issues?

We have written a message to Firaxis (or was it atari?) And we have gotten no reply. We are assumeing that they don't care about our project. If they don't like it, thats too damn bad, we have checked all legal matters! Right Micah?

Anyway, it would be nice to get them to pick up xenocide like valve picked up counter strike, but I don't think that is going to happen. :(

Anyway, it would be nice to get them to pick up xenocide like valve picked up counter strike, but I don't think that is going to happen. :(

*** note to myself: never used a 'Fast reply' again, cause in most cases you are getting no replies! ***

As Cpl. has stated we have contacted the license owners, but we did not get any response. Nonetheless, we are making a game which will not use any of possibly copyrighted assets (art, names, etc.) and thus making us somehow immune to any possible legal matters.

As for getting funding or something, this is not likely to happen, as our game is open source project which cannot be licensed by anyone. Bad for them! :P

However, we will appreciate any help in developing the game whether it is code or art as long as it goes under the Open Source Foundation licenses. So, here is their chance to contribute and may be mentioned in the credits. :)

Edited by mamutas

• 1 month later...
This has been discussed for a million times and as far as I know, senior members are aware of this and has informed us there's NO problem. Don't remember the facts and reasons why but don't worry, we can keep the name.

Oh it's Xenocide alright.

1 ) we aren't making money from it.

2 ) there have already been a million computer games called Xenocide. Ours is only similar to them in that earthlings fight aliens, something you'd sort of expect from a game called Xenocide.

3 ) the owners of the original "Xenocide" likely have no interest in exploring their legal options against us.

AFAIK nobody has registered a treadmark for the word Xenocide, that's the only way it would be an issue. As Stewart said, we are just 1 of many games with the name, there are several that have been out for years already. No issue.